HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Here's a link to that Portzline interview: http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2254

Question: How many Blue Jackets scoops does he usually have? Is he known as a news breaker?
Thanks.

Not as many as you'd expect from a beat writer. He has a good feel for things as he should, but IMO, the front office seems to be pretty good at shutting him out unless it serves their purpose to have him report something.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Here's a link to that Portzline interview: http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2254

Question: How many Blue Jackets scoops does he usually have? Is he known as a news breaker?
As a recent example.

June 3rd.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...uttlebutt.html

Quote:
But for now, the Blue Jackets do not seem interested in Davidson. The message coming from the owner's chair is that the club is in good hands with Priest as president, Howson as GM and Craig Patrick as senior adviser.
June 7th.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...h-jackets.html

Quote:
John Davidson, president of hockey operations for the St. Louis Blues, interviewed last week for an executive-level position with the Blue Jackets, The Dispatch has learned via NHL sources.
He really pissed off the organization a couple of seasons ago by publicly disclosing some injuries. He definitely doesn't have sources high up on the team like he used to.

I think he's full of it.

06-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
That's a very good point. Ebert looks like nothing special without Ryan Ellis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Excellent point. There is absolutely no way to argue that.
McKeen's top-10, as of January 2005 for that year's draft:
1 - Sidney Crosby
2 - Jack Johnson
3 - Benoit Pouliot
4 - Gilbert Brule
5 - Jakub Kindl
6 - Jean-Philippe Levasseur
7 - Guillaume Latendresse
8 - Bobby Ryan
9 - Tuukka Rask
10 - Ryan O'Marra

I actually had to look up Levasseur. Imagine what would have happened if he'd simply been injured instead of being supplanted by a trade acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Assuming Yakupov goes #1, Howson could really impress me by taking Grigorenko, if he does he can honestly say he took the best player available. If it's Murray that's fine too, but picking Grigorenko would really show some balls.
That's nice and all, but how many of the naysayers have accused Howson of doing something unconventional just for the sake of doing it? It's been two ****ing years, and no one will shut the hell up about Ryan Johansen instead of Cam Fowler.

Sure, it'd take iron balls to take Grigorenko, and I can guarantee that neither you nor anyone else would be applauding or defending the move. And the first time the letters "KHL" are mentioned, there will be a meltdown.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 06-14-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
McKeen's top-5, as of January 2005 for that year's draft:
1 - Sidney Crosby
2 - Jack Johnson
3 - Benoit Pouliot
4 - Gilbert Brule
5 - Jakub Kindl
6 - Jean-Philippe Levasseur
7 - Guillaume Latendresse
8 - Bobby Ryan
9 - Tuukka Rask
10 - Ryan O'Marra
Where are all the people saying it would be complete lunacy to pick a goalie that high in the first round?!?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Where are all the people saying it would be complete lunacy to pick a goalie that high in the first round?!?
Levasseur was a goalie too...he's ranked even higher!

Old
06-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Assuming Yakupov goes #1, Howson could really impress me by taking Grigorenko, if he does he can honestly say he took the best player available. If it's Murray that's fine too, but picking Grigorenko would really show some balls.
Wait what the...
...but he...
...and you...
...the...
...what the ****ing hell?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-15-2012, 12:00 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I
Mono would, in theory, be the same as any other injury or any other circumstance that leads to losing a developmental season.

I think the reason it has any impact is because it may mask the player not being as good as he was projected to be the year prior. This time last year, plenty of people in the know were talking about Ryan Murray and Nick Ebert being the two best defensemen in the draft. If Ebert had been injured like Galchenyuk or sick like Couture, someone undoubtedly would take him in the top-10 and regret it for the rest of their careers.
Now, come on--injury and Mono are not the same. Injuries can be a sign of a propensity to injury--Pascal LeClaire. They can also have lasting effects if they don't heal properly. And then there are head injuries, which create a whole new risk in the modem NHL. Mono may slow a player's development, but some of that is on the kid to push himself to get back into things ASAP.

Sorry, but Svitov had a lot of problems. I'm not convinced conscription was the sole reason he didn't pan out. Different sport, but serving his country did not ruin David Robinson.

People are still talking Galchenyuk at #2 with an injury that could reoccur or have lasting effects. So, Couture's drop that year now appears wholly unwarranted by comparison.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Now, come on--injury and Mono are not the same. Injuries can be a sign of a propensity to injury--Pascal LeClaire. They can also have lasting effects if they don't heal properly. And then there are head injuries, which create a whole new risk in the modem NHL. Mono may slow a player's development, but some of that is on the kid to push himself to get back into things ASAP.

Sorry, but Svitov had a lot of problems. I'm not convinced conscription was the sole reason he didn't pan out. Different sport, but serving his country did not ruin David Robinson.

People are still talking Galchenyuk at #2 with an injury that could reoccur or have lasting effects. So, Couture's drop that year now appears wholly unwarranted by comparison.
None of that is really the point. Mono may be unlikely to recur, but my point was that losing a ton of time in his draft year (or playing a bunch at 60%) can mask the fact that a player simply is not that good.

I mentioned Nick Ebert being a top-5 prospect coming into this year. Jordan Schmaltz was another guy who was talked about as a top-10 prospect, and Martin Frk in the top-15 (after two years of being hyped as a possible #1 overall). Neither one of them is on the radar at all right now....Frk is a possible second-rounder, Schmaltz is projected as a late third-rounder at best, and Ebert has been buried so deep that The Hockey News can't even find him. He's the 96th-rated North American skater, which may put him into the 6th round by the time it's all said and done. His fall mirrors Seth Ambroz last year.

My question is how clairvoyant someone is supposed to be when they're drafting or not drafting someone who has missed time or been restricted. And then there's the natural cycle of overanalysis. I did some digging a couple weeks ago and found a treasure trove of old in-season draft previews going back to 2003...somehow I didn't bookmark it or save anything, and I can't find them again. But what I most remember is needing hockeydb.com to find out who some of these guys were. And I don't mean that I wanted to find out what they were doing now, I mean that I simply did not remember their careers.

For Galchenyuk, it's important to note two things. The first is that orthopedic science progresses at a staggering rate, and he apparently showed no ill effects during combine testing. The second is that his game wasn't predicated on speed in the first place. If he were Marian Gaborik, it would be another story entirely.

Every year, prospects rise and prospects fall. The fallers, particularly the highly-touted ones, may never have plummeted if they'd simply missed a bunch of time. And that means that some poor schlub would have taken John McFarland in the top-10, or J-P Levasseur, or Cory Emmerton, or Ben Shutron.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:11 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
None of that is really the point. Mono may be unlikely to recur, but my point was that losing a ton of time in his draft year (or playing a bunch at 60%) can mask the fact that a player simply is not that good.

I mentioned Nick Ebert being a top-5 prospect coming into this year. Jordan Schmaltz was another guy who was talked about as a top-10 prospect, and Martin Frk in the top-15 (after two years of being hyped as a possible #1 overall). Neither one of them is on the radar at all right now....Frk is a possible second-rounder, Schmaltz is projected as a late third-rounder at best, and Ebert has been buried so deep that The Hockey News can't even find him. He's the 96th-rated North American skater, which may put him into the 6th round by the time it's all said and done. His fall mirrors Seth Ambroz last year.

My question is how clairvoyant someone is supposed to be when they're drafting or not drafting someone who has missed time or been restricted. And then there's the natural cycle of overanalysis. I did some digging a couple weeks ago and found a treasure trove of old in-season draft previews going back to 2003...somehow I didn't bookmark it or save anything, and I can't find them again. But what I most remember is needing hockeydb.com to find out who some of these guys were. And I don't mean that I wanted to find out what they were doing now, I mean that I simply did not remember their careers.

For Galchenyuk, it's important to note two things. The first is that orthopedic science progresses at a staggering rate, and he apparently showed no ill effects during combine testing. The second is that his game wasn't predicated on speed in the first place. If he were Marian Gaborik, it would be another story entirely.

Every year, prospects rise and prospects fall. The fallers, particularly the highly-touted ones, may never have plummeted if they'd simply missed a bunch of time. And that means that some poor schlub would have taken John McFarland in the top-10, or J-P Levasseur, or Cory Emmerton, or Ben Shutron.
You have a tendency to miss the forest for the trees sometimes, so let's focus on four examples:

Couture
2005-06 Ottawa 67's OHL 65 25 39 64 6 3 4 7
2006-07 Ottawa 67's OHL 54 26 52 78 5 1 7 8

Galchenyuk
2010-11 Sarnia Sting OHL 68 31 52 83 0 0 0 0
2011-12 Sarnia Sting OHL 2 0 0 0 6 2 2 4

Ebert
2010-11 Windsor Spitfires OHL 64 11 30 41 18 1 2 3
2011-12 Windsor Spitfires OHL 66 6 33 39 4 0 2 2

Murray
2010-11 Everett Silvertips WHL 70 6 40 46 4 1 2 3
2011-12 Everett Silvertips WHL 46 9 22 31 4 3 2 5

Okay, so the above are the following stats--GP, Goals, Assists, Playoff GP, Goals and Assists for Couture, Galchenyuk, Murray and Ebert for their last two years preceding the draft.

Notice something about Couture? Despite his little bout with mono and the games missed, he actually statistically improved the prior year. Doesn't seem like enough to justify this:

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin...katers_num.pdf

Central Scoutings Final Rankings for 2007 for North American Skaters. Notice where Couture is. Notice where the great Angelo Esposito is.

Meanwhile, if your concern is that injuries or illness may mask developmental problems, well, you may not want to look at Murray or Galchenyuk in the draft. Galchenyuk basically had no stats for this season except the playoffs. Murray also suffered an ankle injury that kept him out for a substantial time period. His pts/game is nearly indistinguishable from his prior season (.66 vs. .67) so, unlike Couture, he didn't exhibit developmental improvement notwithstanding his injury (and his plus/minus was significantly lower, but plus/minus is an even less perfect statistic in juniors).

Mr. Ebert, meanwhile, unlike Couture, regressed both on the aggregate and on a per games basis. Without battling mono. So, I think we have a pretty good idea why he dropped, although, again, if your concern is that injuries can mask issues, I'd again point out that Murray didn't exactly take a giant leap forward this season.

Bottom line, clearly NHL GM's are not as concerned are as you seem to be about injuries masking a player's overall talent. If they were, Murray and Galchenyuk would have suffered a similar tumble in the rankings to what Couture did. I think the only real reason that Couture tumbled as far as he did was because his 78 points in 54 games was far less impressive than Patrick Kane's gaudy 145 points in 58 games (and then there was Sam Gagner, who hasn't translated that into an NHL career of significance).

Don Maloney was asked about these injuries not that long ago and he pointed out that GM's have to do the same thing they do all the time with their players--have doctors do a thorough evaluation and figure out how it effects the player in the short and long term. So, it isn't about being clairvoyant. As is often the case, it is about doing your diligence and being able to see details your competitor misses.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:19 AM
ernmorris

How much faith do we have in Tyler Wright and the scouting department?

It just dawned on me that we could potentially have 4 of the top 31 picks. We have the #2 & #31 overall. We could have the Kings pick at #30 and if Nash gets sent to the NYR then we could have #28 as well (or #8 if he goes to Carolina or #9 Toronto or #20 Philly, etc). This is a great opportunity to infuse our franchise with some much needed talent.

Which leads me back to my original question - how much faith do we have in Wright?

Ryan Murray is my guy at #2 (assuming he doesn't go #1). I would love to come away with Subban at the back end of this draft as well. That still leaves us with 2 other early picks to help the talent level of the organization. That is an intriguing scenario to me. My only fear is that we will draft the way that we have drafted in previous years and that is a scary thought.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Porty just said on Edmonton's radio station that the CBJ do NOT have Yakupov at #1 on their board, and that he might fall out of the top 5 if Edmonton passes on him.
Not saying I don't believe Portie said it, but this was the worst poker face statement ever.

Yak might not be number one on the CBJ boards only because they assume Edmonton is taking him at number 1. And no way he falls out of the top five, no matter what. If, by some weird twist of fate, EDM passes on him and the CBJ don't take him, the clamor will be to trade up to get him, he won't fall out of the top five.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
I'll remember this post come draft time. Just in case

Quote:
Don Maloney was asked about these injuries not that long ago and he pointed out that GM's have to do the same thing they do all the time with their players--have doctors do a thorough evaluation and figure out how it effects the player in the short and long term. So, it isn't about being clairvoyant. As is often the case, it is about doing your diligence and being able to see details your competitor misses.
This is a good point. Sometimes, it's good to be lucky, so to speak ... or, make your own luck. Figure out what's really going on with an injury, and you might be set up for a draft day steal. I have a feeling that Stevie Y and the Lightning had some inside track on Brett Connolly two summers ago; when everyone thought they might be crazy for taking him sixth overall, they still did. As of right now, I don't think they're regretting that, seeing his excellent play at the WJCs, and the fact that he stuck with the team full-time this last year (though, in a limited role). In my opinion, this guy could be a Tyler Seguin type breakout player next year alongside Steven Stamkos.

The statistical breakdown you provided was a solid one - nice effort. The only gripe I have on that is that statistics only play part-way into what scouts actually look at. Take a guy like Colton Sissons for example ... his point totals weren't that great, but he played for a younger team this year, and one has to account for the fact that he was thrust into a role that he probably wasn't yet suited for. We have him at #31 on our list, ahead of guys who scored more than two times the amount of points that he did.

EDIT: I'm not saying you were basing your breakdown on points only, I'm just adding to your point. Please don't take it the wrong way :-)

Old
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Not saying I don't believe Portie said it, but this was the worst poker face statement ever.

Yak might not be number one on the CBJ boards only because they assume Edmonton is taking him at number 1. And no way he falls out of the top five, no matter what. If, by some weird twist of fate, EDM passes on him and the CBJ don't take him, the clamor will be to trade up to get him, he won't fall out of the top five.
I think if Edmonton passes him up, he'll go right to #1 on our list, much like Gilbert Brule did in 2005.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
How much faith do we have in Tyler Wright and the scouting department?

It just dawned on me that we could potentially have 4 of the top 31 picks. We have the #2 & #31 overall. We could have the Kings pick at #30 and if Nash gets sent to the NYR then we could have #28 as well (or #8 if he goes to Carolina or #9 Toronto or #20 Philly, etc). This is a great opportunity to infuse our franchise with some much needed talent.

Which leads me back to my original question - how much faith do we have in Wright?

Here is my fear. Tyler is among, if not, the youngest guy(s) at his position in the entire league. He was brought in after the 07 draft as a developmental coach and his rise has taken him all the way up to, arguably, the third guy from the top of the Hockey operations department in under 5 years. This is the first real draft where we have a chance to get several picks that have significant chances to pan out for the future of the organization and the first real draft which Tyler will be the, for lack of a better term, BMOC at the draft table. With the number of picks in the top 60 we could potentially have before the beginning of the first round, this needs to be the smartest draft ever by the CBJ. We can't half-ass these anymore. Look at the '10 draft now, Straka (55), Archibald (94) and Corbeil (102) all were cut loose without initial offers and Dalton Smith is shaping up to be no better than a fourth liner, fighter-type at this level, and he was taken 34th overall....

Thats Half our 2010 draft class.... 3 guys we didn't even sign to develop and a fourth liner taken with our 2nd round pick....

Old
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The only way I see Yakupov falling out of the top 5 is if there was a reason teams were souring on him. Like he didn't interview well at the Combine or tests showed he really did have a concussion or something. But if there was something like that, it would leak. If the Oilers needed fans to understand why they weren't picking them, they might leak it themselves.
No way I see Yakipov dropping past top 2 but if he did I guess the logic is

Edmonton - wants defense
Columbus - bad experience with Russians, might fear picking another one will turn off fanbase
Montreal - needs a center
Islanders - no logic why they wouldn't draft him?
Toronto - Burke not a big fan of Russians

Way I look at it if Edmonton and Columbus do the unthinkable, no way Montreal passes on Nail no matter how bad they need a center. The Islander would be the last possible spot Nail could fall to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
After Yakupov, players could be picked in any order. The Jackets may like Forsberg and Murray, the Oilers Murray and Reinhart, the Canadiens Galy and Grigs, the Islanders Teravainen and Grigs, the Leafs Galy and Forsberg
As an Islanders fan I think Forsberg is probably the top of their list(ie perfect fit with Tavares) but I honestly have no clue who they will draft

Old
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I think if Edmonton passes him up, he'll go right to #1 on our list, much like Gilbert Brule did in 2005.
Congrats! By invoking that name, you've now convinced half the fanbase that passing on Yakupov would be a good idea.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Congrats! By invoking that name, you've now convinced half the fanbase that passing on Yakupov would be a good idea.
Nothing tastier with a cold draft than bruled yakupov.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:13 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

please columbus don't take gally, I liked him all of last year and all of this year and I'd love to see him on the habs come draft day, if he goes to the leafs I may sob

Old
06-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
It strikes me as clever...if Edmonton wants Murray, they're doing to either have to flip picks or else draft him #1 overall. And if it leaves Yakupov at #2 and Columbus isn't sold on him, suddenly #2 becomes extremely valuable and I'd expect a trade at that point.
If Yakupov drops to the CBJ at #2 and they really don't want him, I would imagine a flip with Montreal would make a lot of sense. CBJ ensures they get their guy and Montreal gets Yakupov to market in a hockey mad city that needs something like this.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Yakupov's twitter. Connor Murphy was talking to him about going to Columbus.

https://twitter.com/#!/Nail10_1993

Connor Murphy ‏@Cmurphy5

@Nail10_1993 it's good thanks. Have fun at the draft! Do your best to end up in Columbus so you can come visit

2h Наиль Якупов Наиль Якупов ‏@Nail10_1993

@Cmurphy5 Thanks man)))) I can come to visit u anyways In sarnia - or everywhere
Wouldn't that be something. Maybe Connor Murphy comes back to Columbus when Nash goes to Carolina and Yakupov ends up here (I still want Galy - for the record).

Old
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
The statistical breakdown you provided was a solid one - nice effort. The only gripe I have on that is that statistics only play part-way into what scouts actually look at. Take a guy like Colton Sissons for example ... his point totals weren't that great, but he played for a younger team this year, and one has to account for the fact that he was thrust into a role that he probably wasn't yet suited for. We have him at #31 on our list, ahead of guys who scored more than two times the amount of points that he did.

EDIT: I'm not saying you were basing your breakdown on points only, I'm just adding to your point. Please don't take it the wrong way :-)
Oh, I know it was a snapshot look and not a thorough analysis. That's the whole point though--drafting is more art than science, but that isn't to say it is the equivalent of throwing darts at a board. If it were a science, you wouldn't see Patrik Stefan taken #2 overall. If it were all just darts at a board, well, we'd have had more success in the first two rounds by now just based on mere luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Here is my fear. Tyler is among, if not, the youngest guy(s) at his position in the entire league. He was brought in after the 07 draft as a developmental coach and his rise has taken him all the way up to, arguably, the third guy from the top of the Hockey operations department in under 5 years. This is the first real draft where we have a chance to get several picks that have significant chances to pan out for the future of the organization and the first real draft which Tyler will be the, for lack of a better term, BMOC at the draft table. With the number of picks in the top 60 we could potentially have before the beginning of the first round, this needs to be the smartest draft ever by the CBJ. We can't half-ass these anymore. Look at the '10 draft now, Straka (55), Archibald (94) and Corbeil (102) all were cut loose without initial offers and Dalton Smith is shaping up to be no better than a fourth liner, fighter-type at this level, and he was taken 34th overall....

Thats Half our 2010 draft class.... 3 guys we didn't even sign to develop and a fourth liner taken with our 2nd round pick....
Yeah, it is a bit of a concern that Tyler is green. As with our green GM, and our green President, there really hasn't been anyone to tutor him...other than Howson himself. I happened to look recently at other teams and was amazed at how seasoned some of their top VP's of hockey ops were--I seem to recall Vancouver and NJ in particular have guys with very long histories. When Tyler was put in this role, I don't think anyone realized how important this year's draft might well be. And now the decision to keep the whole scouting department largely intact with contracts expiring post-draft seems incredibly bad. This is a draft we could have 3 or even for picks in the top 30 (depending on the Nash trade and other possibilities) and we have a bunch of guys that the organization was so unconfident in going forward that they didn't commit to them past this year. Kind of mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
If Yakupov drops to the CBJ at #2 and they really don't want him, I would imagine a flip with Montreal would make a lot of sense. CBJ ensures they get their guy and Montreal gets Yakupov to market in a hockey mad city that needs something like this.
If Yakupov isn't #1, the Jackets could be in the cat bird seat...or not. If Edmonton has other ideas at #1, they'd be wise to explore trade options. If they don't trade the pick, it may be because no one is interested--i.e. no one is that hot on Yakupov or the others to trade up...or, maybe Edmonton just asked for too much when all was said and done. There could be all sorts of permutations. Most years I poo-poo the thought of the obvious #1 not going as planned (witness the talk that Seguin might be taken over Hall which didn't go anywhere), but this is a year I could actually see it, at which point it becomes an even more interesting draft.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Wouldn't that be something. Maybe Connor Murphy comes back to Columbus when Nash goes to Carolina and Yakupov ends up here (I still want Galy - for the record).
Connor Murphy went to Phoenix last year. Ryan Murphy was taken by Carolina.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Yeah, it is a bit of a concern that Tyler is green. As with our green GM, and our green President, there really hasn't been anyone to tutor him...other than Howson himself.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
No way I see Yakipov dropping past top 2 but if he did I guess the logic is

Edmonton - wants defense
Columbus - bad experience with Russians, might fear picking another one will turn off fanbase
Montreal - needs a center
Islanders - no logic why they wouldn't draft him?
Toronto - Burke not a big fan of Russians
The only way Yakupov drops is if there's something the Oilers and Columbus don't like about him. Say doubts about his injury, concussion, going to the KHL. But I don't see any of that happening.

But say the Oilers take Murray and Columbus takes Forsberg just because they feel they are the best players available or the Russian factor or how Yakupov's personality would mesh with their young cores.

There is a weird effect that does seem to happen where other teams suspect that there are bigger problems they don't know about.

When Fowler and Gormley dropped, teams in the 7-11 range should have taken them, but they didn't. When players that aren't expected to drop end up dropping, teams think "well, if the teams that heavily scouted these players didn't pick them, they must know something we don't. We don't want to be the stupid ones who take a player we didn't do enough research on to find the problem." And then the player keeps dropping.

Anaheim barely scouted Fowler, didn't have a jersey ready for him and never interviewed him. It worked out that they picked him, but they could easily have said that there must be a reason he was dropping and chose someone else that they were confident about.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Yakupov's twitter. Connor Murphy was talking to him about going to Columbus.

https://twitter.com/#!/Nail10_1993

Connor Murphy ‏@Cmurphy5

@Nail10_1993 it's good thanks. Have fun at the draft! Do your best to end up in Columbus so you can come visit

2h Наиль Якупов Наиль Якупов ‏@Nail10_1993

@Cmurphy5 Thanks man)))) I can come to visit u anyways In sarnia - or everywhere
I use to play with connor. I use to play with him and his brother at drop in ALL the time. Its so weird them being there and me not doing ****. His brother was a lazy ****. Every single AAA tryout he would not to a damn thing and he would automatically make the team every year because his dad was the assitant coach...

Closed Thread