HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team draft report: Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
06-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
If we are high on Gaunce I hope that we would be able to trade back into the first round instead of trading down. Are any of the teams in the Gaunce range deep at center and may be willing to trade down to our 2nd? I see Calgary is drafting at #14 and they I believe want to win now, may take some roster players for their pick? MacArthur+ or something? Would that at all be interested in something like MacArthur + Crabb (no idea if that would be enough, more suggesting that as a basis)? Could be a way to get rid of some of the roster players to free up space and get a player everyone seems to like at the same time.

Edit: If it does happen, my guess is people will not be happy with how much we give up. So let me jsut remind people about the Phaneuf trade and last night Burke talking about not liking to 'skin' fellow GMs and it could be helping to make up for it to keep a good relationship for possible future trades.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
If we are high on Gaunce I hope that we would be able to trade back into the first round instead of trading down. Are any of the teams in the Gaunce range deep at center and may be willing to trade down to our 2nd? I see Calgary is drafting at #14 and they I believe want to win now, may take some roster players for their pick? MacArthur+ or something? Would that at all be interested in something like MacArthur + Crabb (no idea if that would be enough, more suggesting that as a basis)? Could be a way to get rid of some of the roster players to free up space and get a player everyone seems to like at the same time.

Edit: If it does happen, my guess is people will not be happy with how much we give up. So let me jsut remind people about the Phaneuf trade and last night Burke talking about not liking to 'skin' fellow GMs and it could be helping to make up for it to keep a good relationship for possible future trades.
You may be able to sing a deal for a mid 1st with a 2nd and a roster player but it really depends on what direction Calgary is looking at going. Do they want one more crack with what they got or are they going to sever the head of the beast and start new? You may get a late 1st for Mac but it depends if the team or teams that were interested are still interested as much when the draft rolls around.

We also have other chips maybe Gunner? who I would not be opposed to moving one bit maybe could fetch a late 1st... who knows but it's hard to give up young NHL talent for late first or second round prospects. But if we were looking to shed a bit of salary or make roster space these are the kind of deals I would make.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
You may be able to sing a deal for a mid 1st with a 2nd and a roster player but it really depends on what direction Calgary is looking at going. Do they want one more crack with what they got or are they going to sever the head of the beast and start new? You may get a late 1st for Mac but it depends if the team or teams that were interested are still interested as much when the draft rolls around.

We also have other chips maybe Gunner? who I would not be opposed to moving one bit maybe could fetch a late 1st... who knows but it's hard to give up young NHL talent for late first or second round prospects. But if we were looking to shed a bit of salary or make roster space these are the kind of deals I would make.
I was really just throwing the idea out there. Don't want to give up the 5th and have him turn out to be some great player haha. Would rather move back into the 1st round to get Gaunce. Calgary in my opinion is our best bet and was just suggesting something, not exactly sure of their needs. I see they have 3 left wingers in their top 5 scoring last year, probably won't want MacArthur, another leftie haha. Gunnarsson is expendable for sure (almost any defenseman really). Just not sure where he would fit in their lineup. He is good, but really the only reason he is on the top pairing with us is because he is the best option with Phaneuf. Not sure of their cap situation though? Gunnar's contract could be very attractive if they are tight on space.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Don't know how I forgot about them, but I guess Washington could be a target as well since they have 2 picks right in that range. With Semin leaving they may want MacArthur as well? People on Washington will say 'don't want that soft player', then we just have to remind them it's to replace Semin, they are getting tougher haha.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:24 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Ive had a feeling the last couple days we're taking Faksa. I dont see Galy being available.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:12 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I doubt Galchenyuk is there at 5. If Burke wants Galchenyuk, he's likely going to have to jump above 3.

Faksa might be a player that better fits what Burke wants to build. Taking him at 5 isn't completely out of the question.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I doubt Galchenyuk is there at 5. If Burke wants Galchenyuk, he's likely going to have to jump above 3.

Faksa might be a player that better fits what Burke wants to build. Taking him at 5 isn't completely out of the question.
not a stretch at all. Big C with a good OHL pedigree. Kitchener has pumped out some quality European prospects of late. And we know Burke and Leafs staff have scouted him more then others, as well as inviting him for personal interviews.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If a team needs a top 6 center, and they drafted a natural center in Kadri #7 overall, then switching him out of a position of need, to a position of strength in the organization seems to be counter productive.

With at least Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin ahead of him on the depth chart on the wing it looks like most of the top 6 winger roles are filled.. Matt Frattin a natural winger might even be ahead of Kadri now as far as the depth chart goes.
I agree, I don't believe Eakins was just using Kadri as a top 2C for the Marlies during the season and in the playoffs for nothing. He fits the mold of a top2 guy it is just lack of experience at the NHL level holding him back.

Last edited by Auzzie19: 06-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Auzzie19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

Trade #5 for #12 and #21

Draft Gaunce at 12, Wilson at 21 and Thrower at 35

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:23 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
Trade #5 for #12 and #21

Draft Gaunce at 12, Wilson at 21 and Thrower at 35
Not calling you out, but trading back shouldn't be an option IMO.

We're in a spot to draft a high-end player for the first time in years, let's not **** this up lol.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Not calling you out, but trading back shouldn't be an option IMO.

We're in a spot to draft a high-end player for the first time in years, let's not **** this up lol.
You can do what I said and then:
Trade for an impact C (Lots of Assets: Mac, Kulemin, Liles. Gunnar, Bozak, Prospects)
Dump dead weight: Lombardi, Komi, Connolly
Sign Doan, and/or maybe Parise/Suter.

Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
Kadri - Grabo - Doan

Target Perry next off-season.

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
You can do what I said and then:
Trade for an impact C (Lots of Assets: Mac, Kulemin, Liles. Gunnar, Bozak, Prospects)
Dump dead weight: Lombardi, Komi, Connolly
Sign Doan, and/or maybe Parise/Suter.

Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
Kadri - Grabo - Doan

Target Perry next off-season.
Doan and Suter are definitely not signing in the east, Parise probably follows Suter. We might be able dump one of LACK but not all three.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I agree with you Mess. Brendan Gaunce to me is the guy Burke is targetting. I know a lot of fans will be pissed at that selection but this guy seems like the real deal. He is not the kind of player that will deke his way and lift a beauty backhand in the net, but he's got a dedication to fitness, a strong work ethic, leadership, has tremendous size and understands the importance of the defensive game. We already have guys with fancy hands anyway. Not a bad consolation price for missing out on Gally.

He seems to be a very good pick that fits the MO of this team for the future. Some say his upside isn't so high but I'm not sure how anyone can know that, his stats aren't too bad.
If Galchenyuk/Forsberg & Grigorenko are gone by the time we choose, I'd be more than happy for us to trade down & draft the likes of Brendan Gaunce & Tom Wilson.
That's some consolation prize.

Still, I really want us to draft Galchenyuk - he'd be fantastic!

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Gunnarsson's salary is the last one you'd shed, 1.3 million.

If he was moveable you'd dispatch Liles, but I'm not sure he is now with that contract and concussion issues.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:14 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
I agree, I don't believe Eakins was just using Kadri as a top 2C for the Marlies during the season and in the playoffs for nothing. He fits the mold of a top2 guy it is just lack of experience at the NHL level holding him back.
So how did Kadri get injured? From the sounds of it, it is quite a serious shoulder separation, and these things in the past have turned into recurring injuries.

Is Kadri physically capable of playing his style in the NHL?

I'm not sure if it is experience or physical strength that is holding him back?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:17 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UllmansTiger View Post
I think Button had Gaunce around #38 on his list, maybe the Leafs can get him at #35?... yeah, probably not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I expect Gaunce to go Mid teens. Kid is all heart, good ol' Markham boy.
Have to agree here, Gaunce has got some jam no doubt, but I'd take Faksa easily if both were available. I think Gaunce may slip into the late teens or lower but stay in the 1st round

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Gunnarsson's salary is the last one you'd shed, 1.3 million.

If he was moveable you'd dispatch Liles, but I'm not sure he is now with that contract and concussion issues.

Gunnarsson is one of those guys you keep, if Liles gets a clean bill of health I don't see his contract as being a detriment

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote