HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Devils are taking their pick this year which is somewhat mystifying but it's been announced--the only reason I can think for them doing so apart from Lou forgetting to inform the league altogether is they want either Subban or Vasilevskiy and that's even thinking they have legit goalie prospects in Kinkaid and Wedgewood and I think there's another guy. They all might turn out good but I think the problem is that none of them are likely to turn out to be Brodeur good. Marty, of course, intends to play next year now but his exit is not too far away and it has to be a concern even with a nice stable of goalie prospects. IMO--they need someone who can be a cut above an ordinary NHL starter.
A bit mindboggling that Lou Lams would keep that pick.

I wonder if he uses it to trade for an heir to the Brodeur throne that is farther along than anyone in this draft. Bernier, Lindback, Schneider, etc.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:59 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
A bit mindboggling that Lou Lams would keep that pick.

I wonder if he uses it to trade for an heir to the Brodeur throne that is farther along than anyone in this draft. Bernier, Lindback, Schneider, etc.
I have such a Devils hate that I probably follow them harder than any other team other than my own team. LL over the last few years sometimes strikes me as going through a senile phase. To me though it's a team that's been defying the odds for a long time. Case in point--Sykora goes away a couple years ago--a beaten up perimeter playing wreck and comes back this year rejuvenated. WTF! Gionta a career minor leaguer who can't put points up in the AHL is a beast in the NHL playoffs. Lots of mid and late 30 year olds--the team should be going nowhere but they went all the way to the SC finals and you have to give them credit for that.

Glenn Resch! ****! Just ****ing horrible! He really is senile. Don't they get it!

Anyway--since they are drafting--I think they're thinking very seriously about a goalie--but I don't think the 29 pick is enough for Bernier or Schneider--maybe Lindback, maybe not.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I have such a Devils hate that I probably follow them harder than any other team other than my own team. LL over the last few years sometimes strikes me as going through a senile phase. To me though it's a team that's been defying the odds for a long time. Case in point--Sykora goes away a couple years ago--a beaten up perimeter playing wreck and comes back this year rejuvenated. WTF! Gionta a career minor leaguer who can't put points up in the AHL is a beast in the NHL playoffs. Lots of mid and late 30 year olds--the team should be going nowhere but they went all the way to the SC finals and you have to give them credit for that.

Glenn Resch! ****! Just ****ing horrible! He really is senile. Don't they get it!

Anyway--since they are drafting--I think they're thinking very seriously about a goalie--but I don't think the 29 pick is enough for Bernier or Schneider--maybe Lindback, maybe not.
Watch it, Lou is my hockey Mentor going back to 1985, he may be getting up there but he still has some good people working for him and I think that helps, just look at our team since Clark/Gorton arrived

Never liked Resch, he's pretty bad.

29th pick plus a 2nd rounder in 2013 or 2014. Kind of like the deal the Lanche made for Varlamov last year.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Your Kerdiles love is getting near ODC Lisin love, dude.
lisin? is he someone we should be looking at ??

tell me more

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

RLR's goalie report is out. Appears to like the big Russian as much as the rest of us.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ies/55613378/1

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jun 15, 2012 10:24a

Zachary Stepan following cousin Derek's path, though the youngster believes he's more grittier [smirk]. http://t.co/JADPKmsH #NHLDraft

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/mike_morreale/sta...38167755100161

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kurker was a trade down possibility. The Rangers trade #28 for high 2nd(#33-#34)and a 3rd.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:06 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this draft is loaded with dmen. we wont sniff any of the top guys- i like morgan rielly the most of all these young dmen- with our pick but 2 stand out as guys who might be around and show some offensive flair.

the swede hampus lindholm may not last but if hes there, ya gotta grab this kid. when you watch his stride its so natural and effortless. he can make up chunks of space so quickly and close gaps so fluidly that it appears like hes not even trying to skate hard. his footwork is really solid and his hockey iq is high end. hes a workhorse who seems to be adding some real effective offensive play to his game. hes peaking at the right time after his showing at the combine but im afraid hes off the board by 20.

the other is russian alexei bereglazov. this guy is offensive minded and creative from the blueline. hes huge and he skates very well for having such a lanky frame. i wouldnt say hes overly physical but his reads are very good and he effectively uses his long reach. his shot was clocked at 100 mph and hitting the net doesnt seem to be a problem. he played very well at the recent u18's in brno. he showed great patience and offensive calmness always making the right pass or getting his hard low shot on net. hes a weapon on the pp point as well.

just 2 names to throw out there.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
RLR's goalie report is out. Appears to like the big Russian as much as the rest of us.

Quote:
Dansk has long legs and terrific athleticism. His exceptional reflexes and cat-quick reactions allow him to reset for second and third shots, and he can be quite acrobatic. Unfortunately, he does play way too deep in net, never coming out to challenge and occasionally losing his angles. But when he's playing with confidence, he's lights out.
I wonder when that's going to stop being considered a weakness.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Pretty much what we were saying.

Out of all the "I hope he's not another Antoine Lafleur' behemoth goalie candidates, the only one I like is Whitney, though Gillies size is pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Kurker was a trade down possibility. The Rangers trade #28 for high 2nd(#33-#34)and a 3rd.
I'd rather have Brian Hart at that position.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:21 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this draft is loaded with dmen. we wont sniff any of the top guys- i like morgan rielly the most of all these young dmen- with our pick but 2 stand out as guys who might be around and show some offensive flair.

the swede hampus lindholm may not last but if hes there, ya gotta grab this kid. when you watch his stride its so natural and effortless. he can make up chunks of space so quickly and close gaps so fluidly that it appears like hes not even trying to skate hard. his footwork is really solid and his hockey iq is high end. hes a workhorse who seems to be adding some real effective offensive play to his game. hes peaking at the right time after his showing at the combine but im afraid hes off the board by 20.

the other is russian alexei bereglazov. this guy is offensive minded and creative from the blueline. hes huge and he skates very well for having such a lanky frame. i wouldnt say hes overly physical but his reads are very good and he effectively uses his long reach. his shot was clocked at 100 mph and hitting the net doesnt seem to be a problem. he played very well at the recent u18's in brno. he showed great patience and offensive calmness always making the right pass or getting his hard low shot on net. hes a weapon on the pp point as well.

just 2 names to throw out there.
I have read a few things on Berglazov, where do you think he will go?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Out of all the "I hope he's not another Antoine Lafleur' behemoth goalie candidates, the only one I like is Whitney, though Gillies size is pretty impressive.

I really like what I've read about Hart. I think I found my preference for the Rangers' pick.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:38 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

really like this kid. would be very happy with him.

hell take some time to season but with his size and skating, he could be quite a player.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
eco's bones

Hart sounds to me like he might be the closest thing to a Chris Kreider type prospect in this draft. Lots of size and natural tools--needs lots of development. I would have no problem with that pick either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

What would you guys think about taking Vasilevsky at 28?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm usually not too high on picking these raw projects who only have high school experience, but in the position we're in, I wouldn't be disappointed picking Hart. I'd feel differently if someone unexpectedly slipped down the board, but I doubt anyone will slip far enough that the Rangers will be able to snag him.

Hart, however, is all over the place. Some have him as a first rounder, some as a second. I've even seen some who have him in the third. I have a feeling he won't slip past the middle of the second.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Hart is very high on my list if we pick at 28.

Anyone got any scoop on Mike Winther? I've seen some Modano comparisons thrown around.

06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
What would you guys think about taking Vasilevsky at 28?
I'd be very happy assuming most of the higher end players are picked by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I'm usually not too high on picking these raw projects who only have high school experience, but in the position we're in, I wouldn't be disappointed picking Hart. I'd feel differently if someone unexpectedly slipped down the board, but I doubt anyone will slip far enough that the Rangers will be able to snag him.

Hart, however, is all over the place. Some have him as a first rounder, some as a second. I've even seen some who have him in the third. I have a feeling he won't slip past the middle of the second.
Hart has the size, hands, shot, and attitude you'd like to see in a PF type Winger. Good athelete, plays Soccer, well conditioned. Sounds like a good Character kid who could easily fit in with whats going on in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Hart is very high on my list if we pick at 28.

Anyone got any scoop on Mike Winther? I've seen some Modano comparisons thrown around.
I like Mike Winther alot. Skilled Centerman. Would not be upset with him at #28.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

Another prospect to consider, although this one may not be a sleeper as he is ranked 26th here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=927811

A.J. Michaelson

Reported to be one of the fastest prospects in Minnesota HS, which is not low praise. Not small at 6'0" 185#. Reported to be a good shooter.

Also reported to be a hard worker and good on the boards, which have been qualities the Rangers have looked for in prospects lately.

Going to the University of Minnesota this Fall.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ichaelson.html

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=94252

http://mnhockeyprospects.com/2012-nh...aj-michaelson/

Ranger_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Michaelson supposedly is the better Pro prospect, but I was really impressed by his teammate Vince Hinostroza - here's his GW OT goal vs Russia at 2011 Ivan Hlinka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYhdSRVoiQ

Michaelson struggled in the USHL while Hinostroza was often his teams best player. BUT the size, he's only about 5'9 170, while Michaelson is 6'0 190 or so.

Another goal, watch him win the faceoff, skate, keep his balance and use those slick hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcCr...feature=relmfu

Old
06-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Pizza

The closer we get to the draft and the more I read, the more I think we'll trade down for more picks in the 2nd round. It just depends who the Rangers like and who's still left at 28. This will be an interesting draft from a strategery angle.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The closer we get to the draft and the more I read, the more I think we'll trade down for more picks in the 2nd round. It just depends who the Rangers like and who's still left at 28. This will be an interesting draft from a strategery angle.
The lot of us are prospect hounds, the more picks the better is the mantra around here every draft.

The thing is, our organization either has had players fall to us or our management loves a certain player. I think they get really scared that if they move down the player they want will be gone. Sathers never moved down in round one. It'll either be cause to celebrate cause its a first, or we'll see them do what they have done 3 drafts in a row - take the player they were targeting all along.

IMO, I think people are looking at the wrong pick, I think 2nd rounder will be traded for two 3rd rounders, or a 3rd and high 4th.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rangers draft hat

Old
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:
The lot of us are prospect hounds, the more picks the better is the mantra around here every draft.

The thing is, our organization either has had players fall to us or our management loves a certain player. I think they get really scared that if they move down the player they want will be gone. Sathers never moved down in round one. It'll either be cause to celebrate cause its a first, or we'll see them do what they have done 3 drafts in a row - take the player they were targeting all along.

IMO, I think people are looking at the wrong pick, I think 2nd rounder will be traded for two 3rd rounders, or a 3rd and high 4th.
Good points BN. Maybe a bit of wishful thinking on my part. I'd love to see us come out of this one with at least two good sized, talented scoring prospects. Then hopefully we sign Schultz.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Some teams like to diversify. They play the odds and assume something like one of every 5 prospects makes the show, so we're better off with five good prospects than 1 great one and a 2 average ones. From what I can tell, Clarke and his team does not share that mantra. They target the players they like and will make moves to add more picks when they feel it's necessary, but I don't see them ever trading down.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote