HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Biggest Stanley cup controversy in modern hockey

Old
04-03-2006, 01:34 PM
KariyaIsGod*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Prove it.
What's the point?

The tainted cup resides in Dallas for good.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
What's the point?

To you maybe. So what. What's your point? I know I don't care one bit what you think about it. But go ahead and pretend it's tainted. Whatever.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
To you maybe. So what. What's your point? I know I don't care one bit what you think about it. But go ahead and pretend it's tainted. Whatever.
It's tainted in the eyes of everyone who is objective.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
What's the point?
You keep claiming it wasnt a rule before the goal. Im asking you to prove it, but you wont. I wonder why?

Quote:
Maybe tainted in your eyes, but not in the eyes of people who know what they are talking about.

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 12:01 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
You keep claiming it wasnt a rule before the goal. Im asking you to prove it, but you wont. I wonder why?

Maybe tainted in your eyes, but not in the eyes of people who know what they are talking about.
I am amazed that Dallas fans get so defensive over the fact they scored a BS goal when they benifited from that rule the most throughout the playoffs. Maybe you should take off your rose colored glasses and admit you got off with a very lucky break.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak
I am amazed that Dallas fans get so defensive over the fact they scored a BS goal when they benifited from that rule the most throughout the playoffs. Maybe you should take off your rose colored glasses and admit you got off with a very lucky break.
Because if we ever did, then all the Sabres fans would jump up and down screaming about how unfair it was, how they were robbed, and how we even admit it. It's easier to fight it by pointing to things like the rules instead of showing out of context photos as proof of anything.

Even IF the goal shouldn't have counted, it doesn't matter. Bad calls happen all the time. One bad call does not ever sink a team in a 7 game series, but Sabres fans would never admit that. They want the Cup to be tainted as KariyaIsGod says. Maybe if the Sabres could have found a way to win a couple more, this wouldn't be an issue. Instead of blaming their team for losing, they blame the refs for taking away their wins. Again, whatever.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Yes, it's true that the rulebook said nothing about possession, because there were never any restrictions on what the puck carrier could do. The crease rule was put in to prevent *third parties* from interfering with the goaltender. Thus, the "attacking player" wording was put in, it was never supposed to be "puck carrier".

It was during this time that it was noted that numerous examples of good goals were technically violating the crease rule, as players on breakaways would deke the goalie out wide, or spin around etc, and the puck would leave the crease while doing so.

Thus, they wrote the memo to point out these situations were of course good goals, and should never be disallowed.

Buffalo themselves even admitted they got the memo:

http://web.archive.org/web/199909012...ease-memo.html

-"An attacking player maintains control of the puck but skates into the crease before the puck enters the crease and shoots the puck into the net. Result: Goal is allowed. The offside-rule rationale applies." (A player actually controlling the puck who crosses the line ahead of the puck is not considered off-side.)

The Sabres said Tuesday they received the memorandum.

"We did receive the memo," team spokesman Mike Gilbert said from Buffalo, N.Y. "It was sent to (general manager) Darcy Regier and also sent to (coach) Lindy Ruff."

It was a goal, it was correctly called a goal, LET IT DIE.
I appreciate the link. I stand corrected on the memo- I hadn't seen anything that claimed the memo had been recieved by Buffalo or any other team.

The part of the memo that troubles me though:

Quote:
-"Attacking player takes a shot on net and after doing so, skates into the crease. The initial shot deflects outside the crease. The original player, still in the crease, recovers the puck, which is now outside the crease, and scores. Result: Goal is disallowed. The player did not maintain control of the puck."
Doesn't this about sum up the Hull goal? Hasek made the first save and hull swatted in the rebound from outside the crease.

As far as "Let it Die!"... this is in the "History of Hockey Forum." This is what it's here for: discussing and debating the history of hockey.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 11:52 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug
Doesn't this about sum up the Hull goal? Hasek made the first save and hull swatted in the rebound from outside the crease.
No, because Hull's goal was nothing like that. At no point was Hull in the crease collecting the puck that was outside the crease.

Both Hull and the puck were outside the crease, then in the act of stickhandling and shooting, his skate entered the crease. Legally.

PecaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 12:04 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
No, because Hull's goal was nothing like that. At no point was Hull in the crease collecting the puck that was outside the crease.

Both Hull and the puck were outside the crease, then in the act of stickhandling and shooting, his skate entered the crease. Legally.
Problem with this is, there were MANY instances where the exact same occured and the goal was called off.

Consistency.

Therein lies the problem.

And forever shall it remain.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact
Problem with this is, there were MANY instances where the exact same occured and the goal was called off.

Consistency.

Therein lies the problem.

And forever shall it remain.
And in the minutes before, I'm sure there was a hooking call that was missed. So what.

Old
04-05-2006, 12:19 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
And in the minutes before, I'm sure there was a hooking call that was missed. So what.
So nothing.

just pointing out that consistency is and always will be a problem. Deal with it or don't, its still going to affect you the same. I just don't like it when it costs someone the Stanley Cup. I consider it a blackeye for the sport.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube
Judge for yourselves.
That pic shows the puck isnt across the line and at that time wasnt a goal. Too bad there are no pics from a split-second later.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote