HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gallant hired as Therrien's first assistant Coach

Old
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I feel you seem to think a talented team will run itself - a lot of egos there, even as teenagers (or maybe I should say 'especially' as teenagers). A lot of these kids were the superstars of their teams growing up, and without superior coaching you can have a real mess on your hands. Think about this past season, how much time was missed by the teams top talent, and still able to take top spot in the Q. Have a look at the names in the box scores if you don't remember, again coaching has a lot to do with that. And just as I don't shortchange Kelly in all that, you can't just skip over Gallant's role.

Your team doesn't have to have the best record to have a coach be considered for a coaching award. At the same time, you can't penalize a coach if his team is terrific and call his coaching absolutely terrible.

And with all due respect, I highly doubt that you could have won coach of the year with the Sea Dogs, any more than I could have.
That's fine. We'll just have to disagree here. With a team as talented as the Dogs were I believe anyone could coach that team. It's a lot like Joe Torre coaching the Yankees. Color me unimpressed.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well that's my understanding of Houle's potential. Let just say that I did go often in Blainville this year, and happened to be quite a few times behind the bench. Talked to a lot of people, saw and heard him work a bench, saw what he did with Lewiston, saw what he did with Blainville, he's CLEARLY a guy I don't want the Habs to let go. There are some questions marks with Groulx as far as being a tactician is concerned. And I personnally prefer Houle's approach as a player's coach than Groulx. Again, though, it's not like I'm talking about Bowman versus Bob Berry here. Just that I prefer, for the long run, to see the Habs retaining Houle than Groulx. But would have take those 2 guys with us any day of the week. My ideal trio in Hamilton would have been to see Lefebvre going with Houle and Groulx. Both of whom I have ahead of Tourigny.
The Habs need them (Groulx and Houle) taking care of the kids in Hamilton,a very important job for the future of the Habs.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs need them (Groulx and Houle) taking care of the kids in Hamilton,a very important job for the future of the Habs.
Isn't that why we just signed Lefebvre?

Groulx tried the AHL and didn't like it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
That's fine. We'll just have to disagree here. With a team as talented as the Dogs were I believe anyone could coach that team. It's a lot like Joe Torre coaching the Yankees. Color me unimpressed.
And Joe Torre ends up on most experts' top managers in MLB history lists. I'd take him for my ball club, if I had one.

I guess we'll just hope that, for the good of the Habs, you're wrong on this one.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Uhhhh Kelly was lifting the Mem Cup after his hard work as GM who built this team through strong drafting and solid trades.
We are not going to go back to this how St.John build their team. My point is that Gallant lifted the same cup that Kelly did. And to a certain point, getting those players was crucial, making them live up to the expectations was also important. My point is that you can't praise Kelly for St.John lifting the Cup and then blame Gallant for not winning it the year after. It is a team sport. And in Juniors, it's the players who hold their destiny in their hands. They feel like doing it, they'll do it. They don't have the same sense of urgency, because they won it before, they just don't. Besides, can't we agree that St.John missed a key component this year.....a great goalie. Something Kelly didn't address after DeSerres' departure and GREAT move by the organization for sure.

Anyway, not saying he sucks and all, Kelly is clearly a competent man. But I don't think you can dissociate both guys that easily and I'm NOT that big of a Gallant fan...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I like the move for the impact it should have on Beaulieu in his transition to the NHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:36 AM
holyhabs87

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Clément Jodoin devient entraîneur-adjoint chez le Canadien.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Therrien said that he's the one that wanted Gallant. Not only for his success in the Q but because he was a former player.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:54 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
When the most important qualification is that the coach is French speaking you are limiting the potential candidates for the job. This is the best they could do.
No one would mind Anglo assistants, unless they were rabid xenophobes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
... at least behind the bench and in the management's offices...

Players should run scare now...
If nothing else, I could see huge brawls on the 7th floor. They should pad the walls and keep a ref up there full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberge43 View Post
He was a Head Coach for almost 3 years with CBS.
Jeezus. What, 6 pages on an assistant coach? The players will respect him, he knows the game, and comes from the Wings org. He'll be fine. 6 pages, jeez.

Last edited by overlords: 06-16-2012 at 12:16 AM.
bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:16 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Jeezus. What, 6 pages on an assistant coach? The players will respect him, he knows the game, and comes from the Wings org. He'll be fine. 6 pages, jeez.
and the 3 last posts are your own. Feel free to quit contributing any time

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:26 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
and the 3 last posts are your own. Feel free to quit contributing any time
Zing! Got me there dude.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:32 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Zing! Got me there dude.
We're all just antsy for the draft and stuff.

You could always do me the favor and learn how to multi quote though, I'd appreciate it

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Isn't that why we just signed Lefebvre?

Groulx tried the AHL and didn't like it.
Groulx was not on the same wave length than his GM in Rochester and he had personal family issues that brought him back to Gatineau.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
gillyguzzler

Among others, Benoit Brunet seems a little miffed that the Habs have not offered him a job...

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroni...tre-a-bord.php

Will wonders never cease...

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Coached three straight 100 plus point seasons as well, something that's never been done. Also coached the Summerside Caps to a Royal Bank Cup championship in 1997. A team that was dominated the majority of that tournament. Probably lucked out there too...

Beendair Donedat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Among others, Benoit Brunet seems a little miffed that the Habs have not offered him a job...

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroni...tre-a-bord.php

Will wonders never cease...
The journalist said that Damphousse, Carbo and Brunet could have been hired, he never said that Brunet was pissed off. Actually he said those three did not want to comment.

The one who is mad behind the scene is Serge Savard aparantly.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
OneCupTwoFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

The one who is mad behind the scene is Serge Savard aparantly.
Really? About what? Or is it just more media speculation?

OneCupTwoFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCupTwoFour View Post
Really? About what? Or is it just more media speculation?
It may be media speculations. Gagnon said Savard was mad that some of his demands were not taken in consideration from the new management and that he has not been offered a job after his involvement. And that his presence in the proceedings for choosing the GM was just for show/marketing coup.

Although this does not come from Savard's mouth directly so it may be bull.