HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

New AHL affiliation with Syracuse

Old
06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Adsprincess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I thought someone like Dimmen who was signed by the Ads was property of there's and not the lightnings and would stay property of the Ads? I'm not that familiar with AHL contracts so was just asking for clarification.
One would think that is true, but nope. The title of the contract just determines at what level he can play, not who's property he is. NHL Contract & Entry Level Contracts pretty much let you play anywhere in accordance to the CBA. AHL contracts just means the player can only go up to the AHL and cannot play in the NHL without being signed to an NHL Contract. (for example Pc Labrie this past year and McKenna a couple years ago). AHL Contract also allows for the player to be sent down to the ECHL (Kevin quick is an example of this scenario) Same with ECHL contracts. No matter what, they are property of the NHL team, get paid by the NHL team, and then leave with the NHL team.

Adsprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsprincess View Post
One would think that is true, but nope. The title of the contract just determines at what level he can play, not who's property he is. NHL Contract & Entry Level Contracts pretty much let you play anywhere in accordance to the CBA. AHL contracts just means the player can only go up to the AHL and cannot play in the NHL without being signed to an NHL Contract. (for example Pc Labrie this past year and McKenna a couple years ago). AHL Contract also allows for the player to be sent down to the ECHL (Kevin quick is an example of this scenario) Same with ECHL contracts. No matter what, they are property of the NHL team, get paid by the NHL team, and then leave with the NHL team.
Thanks for the clarification. It makes no sense that it works that way but I guess they had reasons to make it that way.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
What happens to Devos and Langelier-Parent who were signed by Norfolk? Do they stay with Norfolk and to they move to Syracuse with their teamates.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1152417

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
What happens to Devos and Langelier-Parent who were signed by Norfolk? Do they stay with Norfolk and to they move to Syracuse with their teamates.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1152417
They follow the team for some reason. Seems like a sneaky way to have extra contracts stashed away to me.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Adsprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
They follow the team for some reason. Seems like a sneaky way to have extra contracts stashed away to me.
They stay with the team

Its not really a sneaky way as these players cannot play for Tampa unless they are signed to an NHL contract and then they will have go against the cap. Most players signed to an AHL contract are meant to be fill ins and not in the long term plan of the NHL club. And there are not many players who are signed to AHL contracts that stay with teams for more than a year, very few exceptions. Just this year, JPCote earned an AHL contract, but do you see him in Tampa's future, no not really. Same thing with McKenna a few years ago, he was meant to fill in the backup spot to Ramo and was only supposed to be with the Admirals (which is why he had the Admirals only helmet)- goalies got injured so he ended up getting to Tampa, but they didnt resign him

Old
06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
newham89

Quote:
They stay with the team

Its not really a sneaky way as these players cannot play for Tampa unless they are signed to an NHL contract and then they will have go against the cap. Most players signed to an AHL contract are meant to be fill ins and not in the long term plan of the NHL club. And there are not many players who are signed to AHL contracts that stay with teams for more than a year, very few exceptions. Just this year, JPCote earned an AHL contract, but do you see him in Tampa's future, no not really. Same thing with McKenna a few years ago, he was meant to fill in the backup spot to Ramo and was only supposed to be with the Admirals (which is why he had the Admirals only helmet)- goalies got injured so he ended up getting to Tampa, but they didnt resign him
I suppose that's true. But then you have situations like Conacher's where he signed the contract and his rights were essentially Tampa's for the year. No risk involved from the Lightning side, high reward.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
They stay with the team

Well sometimes NHL teams sign (or at least recommand AHL teams to sign) some players to evaluate them and to see if they are worth a NHL entry level contract or not. I think that Corey Conacher is a prime example of that notion.

Devos was the leading scorer of the Q in 2011 and he signed a two years AHL contract. There is also Jeff Dimmen, who still has an option in his contract for next season. I don't think that those players were only signed to be fillers, the Lightning probably thought that they had at least a small potential.

Anyway, we'll see! It's an interesting situation and if the Lightning really believe in Dimmen and Devos' potential, they might sign them to NHL contracts this time.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post
Hello to everyone...I think all of us Crunch fans were waiting for the official/semi-official announcement to drop by. There are a handful of us on the boards here. We'll do our best to keep you updated through the year.

I feel bad for the Ads fans that they didn't get a chance to enjoy the victory for longer before the announcement, I think everyone in both cities knew this was coming, but it still could have waited a week or so.

The Crunch changed colors from Cbus Blue/Red/White to Anaheim Black/Gold/Orange a couple years back. We've already been told it will change again so I'm sure it will be a variant to the Lightning colors. And thankfully we're changing/getting rid of the mascot.

Oh, and if you read anything from Dolgan (Crunch owner), take it with a grain of salt. He's a showman, he likes to stir the pot. We love him here, but he goes overboard on occasion.
Welcome! A great place to go for info on our prospects is at boltprospects.com. They do a great job on all things Lightning but most importantly providing great stuff about our prospects. They also just released their final rankings. You and other Crunch fans should definitely give their site a look.

Bolt Prospects 2011-2012 Final Rankings

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...spect-rankings

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 06-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
This x 100

I am not a fan of the Syracuse logo. Kind of hope they change it instead of just a palette swap.
Thankfully there will be a new logo also though I'm not sure how much you can do with a name like Crunch.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Adsprincess

Haha, okay its more 50/50 now that I am thinking about it. When you follow an AHL team for song long and see AHL contracts come and go so just a quick glance it seems most of them see like a short term answer.

But in the end, everything but our front office staff, name, and banners go with the team.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
randyc

Forgot Something

AP, the cup doesn't go with them either.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie View Post
Thankfully there will be a new logo also though I'm not sure how much you can do with a name like Crunch.
Clearly, the Crunch is a crap team name. Some good Lightning themed names that I've thought up or stolen completely:

Syracuse Storm, Syracuse Static, Syracuse Thunder.

I'm sure there are more, suggestions welcome.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear the Flash

vCash: 3073
Quote:
Clearly, the Crunch is a crap team name. Some good Lightning themed names that I've thought up or stolen completely:

Syracuse Flukes

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
Syracuse Flukes
That connotes the Admirals. We don't want to be associated with them anymore

I really like Syracuse Static as a name. Sick name brah.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:18 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1566
Are they becoming the Syracuse Crunch team then? And who would be the NHL affiliate team for Norfolk Admirals and would Jon Cooper and the Admirals roster go with Tampa to Syracuse?

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
Are they becoming the Syracuse Crunch team then? And who would be the NHL affiliate team for Norfolk Admirals and would Jon Cooper and the Admirals roster go with Tampa to Syracuse?
Norfolks roster and coaching staff are now the Crunch. Norfolk Admirals are now an affiliate with the Anaheim Ducks.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I Am Beat You

The Crunch were the first AHL team I was ever a fan of. I'm glad Syracuse will have a good, exciting team back in town.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I have not followed this that much but what were the reasons for the move? Seems the AHL affiliates changes all the time (not just for us), why is this?

Always been curious/confused about this as it's not a system we have in Europe, must be tough for the Norfolk fans seeing their cup team leave.

06-15-2012, 02:46 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
No real surprise.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:02 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I have not followed this that much but what were the reasons for the move? Seems the AHL affiliates changes all the time (not just for us), why is this?

Always been curious/confused about this as it's not a system we have in Europe, must be tough for the Norfolk fans seeing their cup team leave.
I heard it had to do with too much travel time. Norfolk was around 6 hours from closest team so that's a lot of bus time, Syracuse is surrounded by other teams. Means the players get that extra time on the ice and not on the bus. With the AHL all about developement GM's and owners want their players to get as much ice time as they can.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I heard it had to do with too much travel time. Norfolk was around 6 hours from closest team so that's a lot of bus time, Syracuse is surrounded by other teams. Means the players get that extra time on the ice and not on the bus. With the AHL all about developement GM's and owners want their players to get as much ice time as they can.
That's ridiculous. Vinik can buy a bus with an ice rink.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

I'd be okay with Syracuse Admirals. Not enough teams in the AHL are called that.

I'd sort of want a Syracuse team to have an old-timey nickname like the Zephyrs or the Strikebreakers.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-15-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:23 AM
BoltSTH

Syracuse Lightning Bolts

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:44 AM
crunchrulz

Welcome to Syracuse!
Let me add to what has been mentioned and say we are very glad to be added to the Tampa Bay family. Going to be a bit of an adjustment for everyone, but we are looking forward to a good relationship.
The rink here in Syracuse is smaller than regulation. The building is old, with the fans being very close to the ice and the noise levels can be very loud as the ceiling is low as well. There are several rinks in the area for the team to use if the War Memorial at Oncenter is not available, including one at the Onondaga nation Arena which one visiting AHL coach commented is one of the best surfaces they have used anywhere.
As for the fans, we are loud and loyal. We dont expect to win every game, just put forth an honest effort. Over the past four seasons, the teams here in Syracuse had long stretches where they just seemed to not give a rats rear about their effort as long as they got paychecks. The last two years, the team did not wake up until after the first of the year, then played strong.
News coverage is usually weak at best. Most of the local coverage is devoted to the teams from Syracuse University, meaning news for either the Crunch or the Chiefs (Washington AAA baseball farm team) is found somewhere after page three in the local fish wrap or as a filler on the TV stations.
Our owner is unique, but has done a lot to keep the team in Syracuse. He is a "showman", but loyal to the team and the community. Like him or hate him, he speaks his mind.
As for myself, been following hockey in Syracuse since the mid 70s. Seen teams and league come and go. I will give you an honest opinion of the team and coaches, good or bad. If you want sugar coated reports all the time, dont read mine.
July 2nd the Crunch are announcing their new look in merchandise and for the team. Al the Ice Gorilla is supposed to be sent back to wherever he came from (thankfully), so a new mascot should be announced as well.
Again, welcome to Syracuse and we look forward to the upcoming season.

crunchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

"Al the Ice Gorilla"?

WHY WERE WE NOT INFORMED OF THIS EARLIER

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote