HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking of trying goalie

Old
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
esidebill

vCash: 500
Thinking of trying goalie

So I'm fairly new to hockey, usually play wing. I was thinking about playing goalie. For now I just play in pick ups/clinic scrimmages for fun. I was wondering what the best route to start out is. Thanks!

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
It's going to sound cliché, but the best route to start out is, to get out there, and just do it.

If you browse around for gear, the price tag will look very intimidating, so I recommend doing what I did - buy as much gear as possible secondhand. I've found some great deals on Craigslist and eBay. Buy your skates locally though, I would never recommend buying skates without trying them on first. With mostly secondhand gear, I got fully outfitted for goalie for under $700 (still seems like a lot, I know).

Once you get a full set of gear together, just go out and do it. No one cares if you're not really very good - you skate for free anyway almost everywhere, and as I'm sure you can relate to yourself, players are always just happy to have a real goalie instead of shooting for the post.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:54 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
It's going to sound cliché, but the best route to start out is, to get out there, and just do it.

If you browse around for gear, the price tag will look very intimidating, so I recommend doing what I did - buy as much gear as possible secondhand. I've found some great deals on Craigslist and eBay. Buy your skates locally though, I would never recommend buying skates without trying them on first. With mostly secondhand gear, I got fully outfitted for goalie for under $700 (still seems like a lot, I know).

Once you get a full set of gear together, just go out and do it. No one cares if you're not really very good - you skate for free anyway almost everywhere, and as I'm sure you can relate to yourself, players are always just happy to have a real goalie instead of shooting for the post.
That's what I was thinking too. Buying brand new is pricey! If anything, I'd like to try and buy a decent chest/helmet/pads.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Hank4Hart

www.adhuntr.com is your friend, searchs all craigslist in the US for you.

you can be cheap on pants, pads, catcher, blocker and stuff, a broken bone here or there wont kill you as you can recover 100%.

but dont be cheap on your mask, chest protector, and jock. if you get a concussion you will be effected the rest of your life, i would not buy any of the low end bauer/itech/reebok helmets (look up the term widowmaker and you will know what i mean), and you certainly wanna keep your nuggets in tact.

i also agree about the skates, dont buy unless you can try them on first.

if you want any gear advice or opinions, feel free to PM me.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:13 AM
pfloyd75

I agree with what was said about used stuff and the things not to skimp on as said above. Not only is used gear cheaper, you might be able to afford to get in better gear. Generally speaking, lightly used Pro level gear is FAR better than "Sr." gear and will last much longer.

One thing to keep in mind is that some used gear may be a little... gross. You know how your gloves start smelling after a few games? Yeah, a C/A gets to be the same way and its kinda like a glove you wear like a sweater... so if you have a weak stomach for that kind of thing- the used route may not be for you. That said, there are certain things that I won't wear used... C/A, Helmet, Gloves, Jock... But Pants and pads are tolerable.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
I agree with what was said about used stuff and the things not to skimp on as said above. Not only is used gear cheaper, you might be able to afford to get in better gear. Generally speaking, lightly used Pro level gear is FAR better than "Sr." gear and will last much longer.

One thing to keep in mind is that some used gear may be a little... gross. You know how your gloves start smelling after a few games? Yeah, a C/A gets to be the same way and its kinda like a glove you wear like a sweater... so if you have a weak stomach for that kind of thing- the used route may not be for you. That said, there are certain things that I won't wear used... C/A, Helmet, Gloves, Jock... But Pants and pads are tolerable.
yes, used pro gear >>>>>>>> sr level gear.

and to solve the gross gear problem , esporta is your friend, usually 50 bucks a load it will kill all bacteria

Old
06-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
When going for a mask, like others have said, don't cheap out. Luckily it seems like most adult masks have some kind of Kevlar in it. I have an Eddy with three layers of Kevlar and taking a puck off the mask is not a problem anymore. Do not get fiberglass.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

eBay can help too. There's listings of 3 goalie sticks for about 150. Considering I was a bit of an idiot and bought a stick for 70 at a local store and an now I want a new one I should have gone that way. If you live in the states I recommend checking goalie monkey. They have full goalie sets (blocker, trapper, pads and sometimes a bonus item free) also check thee clearance. I've seen goalie sticks that were normally 120 being sold for 9 bucks. Some of their clearance items are a good sell. I've seen on source for sports a pair of size 8 E width skates for 200. Normal price was 600+. Unfortunately too small for me but if that's your size I can send you a link when im off work and dont forget I believe the accept returns as long as you don sharpen them.

I woul t buy a jock, neck guard or a helmet 2nd hand. All can contain bacteria that could give you a rash or worse. You may see chest protectors with a built in neck guard. Well it's not one, it's just designed to work with your neck guard.

Search goalie equipement and go to these popular site's clearance section. You won't believe what you see on for a killer deal. The only problem is seeing it while they still have some.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
esidebill

My only problem with buying used would be I'm 6'5, so gear has always been hard to find at my height. I'll have to see what would fit me.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:23 PM
CunniJA

I actually just went to my first ever goalie drop-in on Wednesday. I had gone on Tuesday and we had to play 4v4 with the little walls set up, so I figured, what the hell? My leg pads are for roller, and all of my stuff was assembled from Play it Again sports. I can attest that what people said is true that everybody would rather shoot at a goalie, no matter how ******, than shoot at posts or walls. I did have the added advantage of having played with this group a lot, but even if you're new to a group, I'm sure they woudl appreciate you just showing up if they are usually light on goalies anyway.

Get ready to be really tired after it too. Jesus, I can skate all day, but I was beat after playing goal for the first time.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
My only problem with buying used would be I'm 6'5, so gear has always been hard to find at my height. I'll have to see what would fit me.
there are a few facebook groups (ie: goalie gear **** united ) that has about 5000 goalies across north america in it, lots of sales if you wanna join the group and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
I actually just went to my first ever goalie drop-in on Wednesday. I had gone on Tuesday and we had to play 4v4 with the little walls set up, so I figured, what the hell? My leg pads are for roller, and all of my stuff was assembled from Play it Again sports. I can attest that what people said is true that everybody would rather shoot at a goalie, no matter how ******, than shoot at posts or walls. I did have the added advantage of having played with this group a lot, but even if you're new to a group, I'm sure they woudl appreciate you just showing up if they are usually light on goalies anyway.

Get ready to be really tired after it too. Jesus, I can skate all day, but I was beat after playing goal for the first time.
haha yeah, i am the other way around, i can play goalie all day but boy i dont have the stamina to skate around the rink. guess we just use different muscles for different positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
eBay can help too. There's listings of 3 goalie sticks for about 150. Considering I was a bit of an idiot and bought a stick for 70 at a local store and an now I want a new one I should have gone that way. If you live in the states I recommend checking goalie monkey. They have full goalie sets (blocker, trapper, pads and sometimes a bonus item free) also check thee clearance. I've seen goalie sticks that were normally 120 being sold for 9 bucks. Some of their clearance items are a good sell. I've seen on source for sports a pair of size 8 E width skates for 200. Normal price was 600+. Unfortunately too small for me but if that's your size I can send you a link when im off work and dont forget I believe the accept returns as long as you don sharpen them.

I woul t buy a jock, neck guard or a helmet 2nd hand. All can contain bacteria that could give you a rash or worse. You may see chest protectors with a built in neck guard. Well it's not one, it's just designed to work with your neck guard.

Search goalie equipement and go to these popular site's clearance section. You won't believe what you see on for a killer deal. The only problem is seeing it while they still have some.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-of-Ba...ht_1212wt_1159

Old
06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
I get the same way when I play out. I'm exhausted after a few times up and down the ice.

I can butterfly for hours though. (not literraly, but you get the idea)

Craiglist/Ebay is up buddy.

I got a full set of Sr. level gear for $400.00 (minus Helmet + jersey). Of course, this was a wicked steal as none of the gear had been used more then 2-3 times. Just keep a lookout.

Welcome to the thankless position of frustration. Even on your best days, you'll still think you're never good enough.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
When going for a mask, like others have said, don't cheap out. Luckily it seems like most adult masks have some kind of Kevlar in it. I have an Eddy with three layers of Kevlar and taking a puck off the mask is not a problem anymore. Do not get fiberglass.
Yes and no.

Kevlar is stronger than fiberglass thus making it a better material for masks. But, that said, fit is also an extremely important of making a mask protective.

Fiberglass will more than suffice if you get a good fit (Protechsport has a custom fit fibreglass masks for 300 dollars or so), it will be more protective than a poorly fitted high level Kevlar mask (ie if you have a giant gap between the forehead and the sweatband).

I would say that if you are just playing pick up goaltending, something like a Hackva, Sportmask, Protechsport, Bauer NME7, Eddy GT series or RBK 7k will suffice

Just don't go with the Bauer 1200/1400, Bauer 2500 NME3 or NME5, or the RBK3k. Those are the most common masks on the retail market, but they are also the most dangerous as they are made of flimsy plastic.

Edit: if you really want to buy new gear, Sherwood is closing down their goalie factories so they have a bunch of clearances. You can get a full set of T95's for 599.99 now at some stores, those are one of the best senior level gear on the market and they are as close to pro level as you can get without being actually Pro.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Yes and no.

Kevlar is stronger than fiberglass thus making it a better material for masks. But, that said, fit is also an extremely important of making a mask protective.

Fiberglass will more than suffice if you get a good fit (Protechsport has a custom fit fibreglass masks for 300 dollars or so), it will be more protective than a poorly fitted high level Kevlar mask (ie if you have a giant gap between the forehead and the sweatband).

I would say that if you are just playing pick up goaltending, something like a Hackva, Sportmask, Protechsport, Bauer NME7, Eddy GT series or RBK 7k will suffice

Just don't go with the Bauer 1200/1400, Bauer 2500 NME3 or NME5, or the RBK3k. Those are the most common masks on the retail market, but they are also the most dangerous as they are made of flimsy plastic.

Edit: if you really want to buy new gear, Sherwood is closing down their goalie factories so they have a bunch of clearances. You can get a full set of T95's for 599.99 now at some stores, those are one of the best senior level gear on the market and they are as close to pro level as you can get without being actually Pro.
True fit is very important. The last time I had a fiberglass mask though was back in first year midget, about 4-5 years ago. It was an Itech.Anyways I ended up being called up to play with the juvenile team, which was full of 18-21 year olds I believe, from time to time. First practice or game in juvenile, can't remember, took a shot off the mask and realized that they shoot a lot harder up here in juvenile. So my Dad decided I needed an upgrade and I got my kevlar Eddy mask which is perfect. I will never go back to fiberglass, I will find a Kevlar mask that fits no matter what.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Hank4Hart

to the OP

i found this deal i think its great for you.

for 750 you get
a pro chest protector (one of the most sought after series as well)
smith 37 -38 sized pads (good for your height, and smith basically carried over the design of this pad to the warrior company, where they sell the same thing except named them "rituals")
11k skates
pro vaughn gloves and blocker

the helmet looks shotty though, you'd want to invest in a new helmet and a new jock for sure.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ388311783