HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Clement Jodoin as new assistant coach

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
  #101
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what your point is. Nobody here had Therrien for their candidate. Some us preferred other candidates than him. AVAILABLE candidates that is. But then, hoped we would still have a good bench to work with and frankly while neither Gallant or Jodoin are bad people, I believe that only Jodoin might have been needed or at least 1 of the 2. Or at the very worst, have 3 guys behind the bench and 1 upstairs. Since that the upstairs guy will be Pierre Groulx. But there's ingredients missing, I believe. Guys that WERE available.
I should have made my thoughts clearer. I was specifically talking about people pining over Robinson. It makes no sense for him to jump ships after the cup run he just went through.

He has a job, he's happy in NJ, the D coach won't be Larry Robinson.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
  #102
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you access the age and hockey knowledge of posters that share the opinion that the coaching staff may be bad?
To be fair, posting that Therrien or Jodoin sucks without providing any reasons why that is the case is childish. Anyways, I wasn't asking the question to troll, I really want to know how so many of you assess the effectiveness of coaches based on observation. It is impressive that you guys find the time to follow the NHL, AHL and the Q.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  #103
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I should have made my thoughts clearer. I was specifically talking about people pining over Robinson. It makes no sense for him to jump ships after the cup run he just went through.

He has a job, he's happy in NJ, the D coach won't be Larry Robinson.
You can't say that. What you find senseless might not be for another.
What if Larry Robinson just simply wanted to come back to Mtl? Why wouldn't that be possible?
What if Habs management offered him more cash?
What if, despite the run in NJ, he wants a new challenge?

Really, we don't know what Robinson is feeling/thinking, so there's no way to know.

The only thing we know for SURE, is that he won't be coming here.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  #104
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Great news !

Robinson ? Daigneault ? Gingras ? ....
Is my guess.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  #105
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
Marc Antoine Godin @MAGodin

Je ne pense pas que Larry Robinson va venir à Montréal. Je crois que le candidat à surveiller comme coach des défenseurs est JJ Daigneault.

Wouldn't mind.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
  #106
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
Jodoin will be MT calming influennce

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:59 PM
  #107
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 24,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Marc Antoine Godin @MAGodin

Je ne pense pas que Larry Robinson va venir à Montréal. Je crois que le candidat à surveiller comme coach des défenseurs est JJ Daigneault.

Wouldn't mind.
Me either. Seems like he'd be a smart pickup. I'm just glad they haven't shut the door on a D coach. I'm sure Robinson was their #1 coach, but you can't blame him for wanting to stay in NJ with the way we've treated him recently.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:00 PM
  #108
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You can't say that. What you find senseless might not be for another.
Am I really the only one who thinks this whole Robinson thing is silly? I think that it's not a matter of me finding this senseless. I think it's mostly basic math. This whole thing is weird. A bunch of people have it in their mind that Robinson will, for some reason, join the Canadiens as assistant coach even though he just went to the cup final. Meanwhile, the Habs just finished 28th.

Some people make sense out of that?

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
  #109
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
The way I see it, once you're in NJ and you fit in with Lou, Lou takes care of you. Lou always takes care of his own. I don't think Robinson would leave for a "horizontal" job change, not with the new management (he has no ties to Bergevin).

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
  #110
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,750
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
To be fair, posting that Therrien or Jodoin sucks without providing any reasons why that is the case is childish. Anyways, I wasn't asking the question to troll, I really want to know how so many of you assess the effectiveness of coaches based on observation. It is impressive that you guys find the time to follow the NHL, AHL and the Q.
I haven't said anything, but a lot may be based on the fact Therrien and Jodoin were already coaches for us.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:08 PM
  #111
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Am I really the only one who thinks this whole Robinson thing is silly? I think that it's not a matter of me finding this senseless. I think it's mostly basic math. This whole thing is weird. A bunch of people have it in their mind that Robinson will, for some reason, join the Canadiens as assistant coach even though he just went to the cup final. Meanwhile, the Habs just finished 28th.

Some people make sense out of that?
I don't know if he'll join the Habs. I personally don't think he will but that's because I just can't envision Therrien and Robinson together.

You're only argument is that NJ went to the SCF. That's great, but there are people in every day life that change jobs for various reasons.

And ya, NJ went to the finals, but everybody knew the East was wide open. Will it be again next year? Don't know. Will Parise re-sign and for how much? Don't know. Will Brodeur retire?..It's not like they have a promising dynasty building up.
There's also the fact he publicly mentioned being interesting in a coaching position with Mtl before we hired Martin. Granted that was a head coaching position, but at least it proves him willing to move out of Jersey, and possibly come in to Mtl.

So, all I'm really saying is that it's not because Jersey went to the cup finals that it means he wouldn't be willing to take on a new challenge.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  #112
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't know if he'll join the Habs. I personally don't think he will but that's because I just can't envision Therrien and Robinson together.

You're only argument is that NJ went to the SCF. That's great, but there are people in every day life that change jobs for various reasons.

And ya, NJ went to the finals, but everybody knew the East was wide open. Will it be again next year? Don't know. Will Parise re-sign and for how much? Don't know. Will Brodeur retire?..It's not like they have a promising dynasty building up.
There's also the fact he publicly mentioned being interesting in a coaching position with Mtl before we hired Martin. Granted that was a head coaching position, but at least it proves him willing to move out of Jersey, and possibly come in to Mtl.

So, all I'm really saying is that it's not because Jersey went to the cup finals that it means he wouldn't be willing to take on a new challenge.
My argument isn't just that. My argument is that he ALREADY has the same job AND he is with a much better team. As Jack Bourdain said, it wouldn't be a new challenge, it would be a sidestep at best. Montreal's future isn't any better than the Devil's too.

You said it was senseless to me, meaning that the option is possible. I think it's a pipe dream (a totally understandable one, taking into consideration Robinson's legendary status here) that stemmed from false rumors from some years ago that Robinson debunked recently.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM
  #113
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,549
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
To be fair, posting that Therrien or Jodoin sucks without providing any reasons why that is the case is childish. Anyways, I wasn't asking the question to troll, I really want to know how so many of you assess the effectiveness of coaches based on observation. It is impressive that you guys find the time to follow the NHL, AHL and the Q.
Is it really that surprising that people having negative opinions on Therrien and Jodoin considering they've coached and been assistant coach for 3 and 5 years respectively during arguably the darkest years in team history?

Is it fair? Perhaps not, but I also don't think it's fair to be so insulting/dismissive of these people.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
  #114
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Is it really that surprising that people having negative opinions on Therrien and Jodoin considering they've coached and been assistant coach for 3 and 5 years respectively during arguably the darkest years in team history?

Is it fair? Perhaps not, but I also don't think it's fair to be so insulting/dismissive of these people.
I haven't seen any insulting/dismissive posts on this topic from Serious Habs. I think he's just asking a valid question here.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:03 PM
  #115
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Is it really that surprising that people having negative opinions on Therrien and Jodoin considering they've coached and been assistant coach for 3 and 5 years respectively during arguably the darkest years in team history?

Is it fair? Perhaps not, but I also don't think it's fair to be so insulting/dismissive of these people.
Ok, but that doesn't explain how a coach's ability is measured, how his systems are analyzed and how his strenght and weaknesses can be identified. It is a fair question. For example, how would you compare Gallant and DeBoer as tacticians? Given how many people are seemingly knowledgeable about coaches, this should be a fairly easy question to answer. I just want to know how the process behind the answer.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:44 PM
  #116
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
So far, all Canadian French people, right?

They should get all Canadian French players and there won't be anymore excuses...

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
  #117
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
So far, all Canadian French people, right?

They only need all Canadian French players and there won't be anymore excuses...
The coaching staff? Gallant is from PEI.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
  #118
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 24,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
So far, all Canadian French people, right?

They should get all Canadian French players and there won't be anymore excuses...
Will be funny when someone from the media approaches gallant for a french interview.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:48 PM
  #119
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The coaching staff? Gallant is from PEI.
OK, my bad.

The name was a good disguise; management hope people wouldn't know. LOL

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
  #120
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin
 
AllanMTL46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
Country: Canada
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
Still dreaming for Larry....

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:00 PM
  #121
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
OK, my bad.

The name was a good disguise; management hope people wouldn't know. LOL
Well I'm guessing by the name he has French ancestry, but he's not there so people in Saguenay can understand him in press conferences.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
  #122
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
So far, all Canadian French people, right?

They should get all Canadian French players and there won't be anymore excuses...

It amazes me how many people see a French name and not only automatically assumes they are francophone but then goes on to post about it.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
  #123
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,549
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
I haven't seen any insulting/dismissive posts on this topic from Serious Habs. I think he's just asking a valid question here.
I was referring to the original post I quoted that he replied to:

"They don't. Most of the whiners are high school kids who know **** about hockey."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Ok, but that doesn't explain how a coach's ability is measured, how his systems are analyzed and how his strenght and weaknesses can be identified. It is a fair question. For example, how would you compare Gallant and DeBoer as tacticians? Given how many people are seemingly knowledgeable about coaches, this should be a fairly easy question to answer. I just want to know how the process behind the answer.
I think you are putting too much value in initial reaction. People recall poor records of the 1997-2003 and since Therrien and Jodoin have coached the team then they are more 'on guard' for their return. I don't think it's unfair for people to not be happy with their return. It's merely an initial reaction and an opinion based on the past.


Last edited by Watsatheo: 06-15-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:37 PM
  #124
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
My argument isn't just that. My argument is that he ALREADY has the same job AND he is with a much better team. As Jack Bourdain said, it wouldn't be a new challenge, it would be a sidestep at best. Montreal's future isn't any better than the Devil's too.

You said it was senseless to me, meaning that the option is possible. I think it's a pipe dream (a totally understandable one, taking into consideration Robinson's legendary status here) that stemmed from false rumors from some years ago that Robinson debunked recently.
So basically you're saying that you are absolutely sure that Robinson will not consider Montreal... And that anybody else that's saying its still a possibility is absolutely wrong... Life doesn't work that way. As a fan, you only see and know what they want you to see and know. What robinson is really thinking or what he feels in his heart, you will never know. Using your point of view and logic while applying it to someone else's life doesn't work. There are probably tons of other factors that will affect Robinson's decision. Factors that you aren't aware of. Nobody is saying that he WILL sign with the habs but the possibility is always there. Unless you are his mother or his wife, you can't just assume that he isn't considering it just because you wouldn't if you were in his shoes.

Maybe he won't even stay in NJ but retire. Maybe he's been waiting for an opportunity to go to Montreal for years. Maybe he wants to go but the Habs already rejected him. Maybe he has friends and family he wants to be closer to. Maybe he prefers life in montreal. Maybe Deboer is a close talker and he really hates him. Maybe he's just greedy and if the habs offer him more money, he will leave. Or perhaps he wants to be in the spotlight again before he bows out for good.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:54 PM
  #125
ADespaties
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Denis Savard who coached in Chicago and played with the Habs as the D coach???

ADespaties is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.