HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

comparison of 4 roll gloves

Old
06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
TrueBlue86

vCash: 500
comparison of 4 roll gloves

i'm thinking about getting a 4 roll glove

how does everyone think the easton eq 50 elite compares with the bauer 4 roll pro

i know ccm has the 4 roll pro II out as well

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:59 PM
jsykes

I think my two favorite right now are the new CCM 4Roll pro II and the Warrior Remix.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
AIREAYE

The EQ50 is a 4Roll design, yes, but has more of a tighter fit than the CCM or Bauer. Think of it between a 4 Roll fit and a tapered 'Vapor' fit. The new Bauer 4Rolls are a bit tighter on the fingers compared to the older series due to the new EPP foams. I believe the EQ50s should be on sale at most places and is an excellent deal even at regular price. The adjustable cuff (for length) is an amazing feature. However for the price, the Bauers are great as well. Just go for whichever feels more comfortable.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:38 PM
r3cc0s

I like 4 rolls myself

people like eagle, mostly because of its microfibre palm... but it doesn't fit my fat hands

I think out of the box the TPS R8/R10, Sherwood T90/T100, Warrior Franchise, and Easton E-PRO (newest one) are pretty much ready to go, have nice interior room and have beautiful clarino/nash palms

I am not a huge fan of the RBK 4 roll, I haven't tried the latest CCM, but I have a rebranded 4roll RBK CCM 852 pro stock with single layer clarino that I really really like

problem about pure clarino palms are that they need to be well broken in or they are very slippery with non-grip sticks

I also am not a huge fan of the bauer 4 roll... the gloves/palms are just not ready to go like the Warrior, TPS or Easton

for tapered gloves, I do like the old XXXX, S17 and X60... but I won't buy them over a solid 4 roll

the next glove I may get is a Michael Ferland, as those are the lightest gloves I've ever picked up and they have a nice clarino palm

http://www.combatsportsgroup.com/hoc...t_ProductId=93

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:16 AM
TUCKER 06

Just got some Bauer 4 Rolls a couple weeks ago. I'm liking them so far, not as comfy as my older Nike/Bauer Vapor XVIs, but not as stinky either.

My first obvservation regarding the 4 rolls is that they are HOT. When I flip out the inner lining it, the heat dissapears and it's all good.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
PaperworkNinja

I'm currently wearing Easton EQPros. They're a little less fancy than the EQ50 Elite and don't have the same anti-microbial lining. The EQPros also have two flex points in the fingers compared to three, though how much of a difference that makes is probably negligible for rec-league players. They're a little cheaper, too. The only problem I've had with the EQPros is that the inside of the glove material tends to stick to my fingertips and bunch up around it. I've still been able to maintain a feel for the puck when that happens, it just feels weird.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I take issue with that phrase, negligible for rec league players. I might not be skilled, but I sure as hell like a comfortable glove! Although I doubt most people are as picky as I am, you could let me pick any pair of gloves off the rack for free and I might not do it. Hell, I've even found differences between "identical" gloves off the rack.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:59 AM
PaperworkNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I take issue with that phrase, negligible for rec league players. I might not be skilled, but I sure as hell like a comfortable glove! Although I doubt most people are as picky as I am, you could let me pick any pair of gloves off the rack for free and I might not do it. Hell, I've even found differences between "identical" gloves off the rack.

I'm looking at it from the grip and puckhandling standpoint instead of comfort. Having three segments on the fingers compared to two isn't going to do much for most rec league players.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Swap rec league with beginners and I'd agree with you.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Swap rec league with beginners and I'd agree with you.
agreed!

good palms, a tactile feeling stick and "decent" enough skates are to me as important for beginners as well as veterines (if not more)

I've seen guys improve on pass, confidance with stick handling, recieving tremendously by going from a better bladed stick (i.e. S7 to a S19 or Synergy ST/SE16)

Old
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep I'd agree with that too.

When I was first starting out again...something like seven years ago now, I had no idea nash vs clarino, leather vs nylon, traditional vs slim fit, etc. After a few years I had my preferences, and now I'm just shy of hording gear...

Old
06-11-2012, 03:59 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Yep I'd agree with that too.

When I was first starting out again...something like seven years ago now, I had no idea nash vs clarino, leather vs nylon, traditional vs slim fit, etc. After a few years I had my preferences, and now I'm just shy of hording gear...
I do have a pair of gloves that I've worn the palms straight off (cept the fingers)

man talk about direct tactile feel with a good stick!

but my favorite is a kangaroo leather or digital, but... clarino is probably the most durable and easiest to keep clean and less smelly

Old
06-11-2012, 05:51 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
How on earth did you managed to compare the feel on every material out there? You must've gone through a lot of gloves lol

I'm not at all picky with gloves, perhaps can't even tell the difference other than thin or thick, but maybe that's because I never bothered to do any research.

Now i'm curious what high end gloves feels like... hmm

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
How on earth did you managed to compare the feel on every material out there? You must've gone through a lot of gloves lol

I'm not at all picky with gloves, perhaps can't even tell the difference other than thin or thick, but maybe that's because I never bothered to do any research.

Now i'm curious what high end gloves feels like... hmm
yea... alot...

owned Easton Z-Air 4 roll (e-pro basically)
owned Easton Z-Air (like Richards and Iginla, but I can't find another pair )
owned CCM 1052 pro tacks
own CCM/RBK 852 pro stock
owned Eagle PPF
tried my friend's 4 roll pro non-embossed
own TPS R8 and is the same when I brought it over to Source for sports to compare with Winnwell pro stock (pro knit)
own Sherwood T90
owned Sherwood 9950
owned Bauer XXXX and repalmed with kangaroo
borrowed pro stock X60's with digital palms
own Warrior Franchise non-poly inserts

best palms? digital, kangaroo, single layer clarino, and clarino w/ digital overlay (tps R8)

thin digital is amazing, but wears terribly bad
Clarino is the most versitile and is so much better than a bad nash, but a good nash, like the Warrior Franchise... is soft, but lacks tackyness compared to a moist clarino

Old
06-11-2012, 08:36 PM
TrueBlue86

ok boys, thanks for the advice

i'm happy to report i got the easton eq50 elites

i paid 120, as they were on sale in sport chek from 150. in canada they usually ravage us on hockey equipment but some good deals can be fond in the summer!

i compared them to the bauer 4 roll pros, and i like the eastons better. they feel more broken into and i guess a bit of a less loose fit in the hand, while the wrist mobility is almost identical. they remind me a lot of the bauer vapors, so i was happy.

btw i put my hand into an apx pro (209 dollars) and i have to say that may be holy grail of gloves

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
oldfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The EQ50 is a 4Roll design, yes, but has more of a tighter fit than the CCM or Bauer. Think of it between a 4 Roll fit and a tapered 'Vapor' fit. The new Bauer 4Rolls are a bit tighter on the fingers compared to the older series due to the new EPP foams. I believe the EQ50s should be on sale at most places and is an excellent deal even at regular price. The adjustable cuff (for length) is an amazing feature. However for the price, the Bauers are great as well. Just go for whichever feels more comfortable.
So the EQ50 is a snugger fit ???
I've been trying on some newer gloves than my old '80s CCM Progards.
Tried Sherwood 9950, Bauer 4 Roll and CCM Pro 4 Roll.
Of these, the Sherwoods are too roomy, the Bauers a little less and the CCM's seem best (I like a snug finger and palm fit).
But they all fall short on coverage up to the elbow forearm pads.
most 14s fit better in the hands, some new 15's come almost to the elbow pad, but not quite overlap... but all the 15's were quite loose.

I don;t like having that 1/2 to 1 inch open exposure in the middle of the forearms. Nothing to be done with elbow pads, they all seem about the same (tried on 8 different makes/models...)
I do have a little bit longer arms...

Any other suggestions ???

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:19 PM
AIREAYE

Haha yes, snugger and more comfortable than the CCM 4Rolls for sure. The adjustable cuff on them could solve your coverage issues.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
oldfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Haha yes, snugger and more comfortable than the CCM 4Rolls for sure. The adjustable cuff on them could solve your coverage issues.
Thx, I'll try to find a shop that has some selection, next time I drive thru Hell-A on my way to visit Daughter and Family in Sandy Eggo.
There's just no shops or selection up here. Same for getting a stick which mimics my koho 201...

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
btw i put my hand into an apx pro (209 dollars) and i have to say that may be holy grail of gloves
I don't doubt it. I have X60 pros and they are the best gloves I've had by far so i can only imagine how great the APXs are. Does anyone know what upgrades the APX have as compared to the X60s?

Also if anyone is looking for a great deal hockey monkey has the X60 pros on sale for 89.99 right now.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Looks like lighter foams and an anti-microbial lining. Also looks like the cuff might be a hair more open. Looks pretty similar overall.

I didn't like the fit of Vapors so I probably won't like the APX.

That just reminds me, I had a dream I got a couple pairs of gloves last night. Probably should get a new pair. Looks like the new Warrior Koncepts don't have mesh gussets anymore.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Looks like lighter foams and an anti-microbial lining. Also looks like the cuff might be a hair more open. Looks pretty similar overall.

I didn't like the fit of Vapors so I probably won't like the APX.

That just reminds me, I had a dream I got a couple pairs of gloves last night. Probably should get a new pair. Looks like the new Warrior Koncepts don't have mesh gussets anymore.
The X60s have the Thermomax + liner as well so I think that is still the same.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Vuronov

I really like my EQ50 Elites...they are super comfortable, the palms have held up well, and I've taken slashes off them and moved on with no issues. I liked how they were a bit more fitted than some of the other 4-rolls out there.

However, after stopping my the LHS and going through and trying various gloves on a lark, I've found that I actually prefer a straight up more fitted glove now. Of all the gloves I tried, my 3 favorites were the CCM U+CL, Bauer Vapor APX, and Easton Stealth RS.

The CCM wasn't quite as fitted as the other 2, but felt really comfortable EXCEPT for the little finger which felt stiff and like it bent at a funny inwards angle when I tried moving it. The Vapors felt good with no complaints, and the RS felt the best as far as fit and taper.

My little bro could use a pair of hand me downs (he's still rocking Easton GX1450s) and I'm itching for a new pair so it's between the Vapors and the RS. I like the look of the RS (not that that really matters) and the fit is the best, but it's not worlds better than the Vapors and I've read here and there that Easton gloves are sketchy quality-wise? My EQ50s were rock solid...not sure which way to go yet.

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
AIREAYE

Easton gloves aren't sketchy quality-wise, the RS is supposed to be a really good glove...I'm itching to get them in so I could try.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Vuronov

Awesome to hear, I've just come across comments here and there between here and MSH where people knock Easton gloves for their quality.

Like I said I like my EQ50s but am ready for a more tapered fit and will probably head back to my LSH and grab their 13" RS!

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuronov View Post
Awesome to hear, I've just come across comments here and there between here and MSH where people knock Easton gloves for their quality.

Like I said I like my EQ50s but am ready for a more tapered fit and will probably head back to my LSH and grab their 13" RS!
They were knocking on the retail E-Pros iirc.