HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobby Clarke vs Big E

Old
06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
bberard34

vCash: 500
Bobby Clarke vs Big E

My buddy is a huge Flyers fan and voted for E. I think Lindros may be the best PLAYER ever to wear the uniform but I don't think he is the best FLYER

Anyways thought you guys may be interested in it

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-16-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Possible spam to another site; link disabled
bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

Bobby Clarke was the best player this franchise has ever seen.

Talent wise Lindros, but his head......

HM: Bernie!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:04 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Haven't watched them enough due to my age, but from what I've seen from videos of old games and such both of them where incredible players. Can't decide so I'll just leave it saying they where two very spectacular players and the greatest players that have played for the Flyers.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
flountown

It all depends on how you look at it. Eric Lindros is without a doubt the most talented skater (using skater to eliminate goalies from the conversation) to ever wear the Orange and Black, without injury, he is a top 10 player, raw talent-wise, to ever play the game.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Eh the question is best "Flyer" ever so I think you have to go with Clarke but it should be Clarke vs Bernie then Bernie should win

I agree with the above post though if its most talented Flyer ever Big E is hands down winner

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
MsWoof

How do you compare guys from different generations? I hate these types of polls in any sport because you can't see them playing against each other.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
GrkFlyersFan

Clarkie did it. Lindros is a what-if. Clarkie did the things Lindros only potentially could have done.

GrkFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:15 PM
kicksave27

Clarke had the record for either points or assists in a season by a center until gretzky came along. Lindros had more natural talent but clarke had all the intangibles that made him a winner and leader. Lindros was such a waste. Clarke has to win it.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Bryz4shiz

I'm too young to have watched Clarke, and Lindros is the reason I love hockey, but when Clarke was on the ice other teams didn't score. You combine that with the fact that he was the 2nd best play-maker of his day and I don't think its really that close

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Lindros easily was the most talented player to ever wear the orange and black and that says a lot for a team with this much history. His potential would have more than likely made him the best Flyer in history but bad luck and injuries had other ideas. Because of that Clarke is, was, and until another player can surpasses his numbers, will be Flyers hockey.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Bobby Clarke was the best player this franchise has ever seen.

Talent wise Lindros, but his head......

HM: Bernie!
Bobby did way more with less. And it is not even close. I used to defend Eric, but in the end he turned into what he always was. A spoiled mama's boy. A shame but true.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
Lindros easily was the most talented player to ever wear the orange and black and that says a lot for a team with this much history. His potential would have more than likely made him the best Flyer in history but bad luck and injuries had other ideas. Because of that Clarke is, was, and until another player can surpasses his numbers, will be Flyers hockey.
That tells me right there that you never saw Bobby play game in and game out. What he brought to the table was way more than just numbers. The intangibles he brought to the team/city are just to many to list. I am glad that I had the chance to watch the skinny kid from Flin Flon do his thing here in Philly.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Bobby Clarke was my hero growing up as a kid. As a player, he did everything and anything to win. He never complained about any role he was used in and was just a beast of a player when games mattered.

Eric Lindros I got to watch from the very beginning and while there is no questioning his talent, the constant drama that followed him (linemates who he played with, how many other players could touch the puck before Eric got it, his parents, etc....) just became too much to bear after awhile.

When he came back to the Devils - Flyers series in 2000, that was the final straw. The team was doing well without him. He could have waited until the series was over. But he interjected himself when he knew he shouldn't have played. He saw how well they were playing without him and his ego got in the way. To me, that's when I knew Lindros was gone. He always put himself before the team and then with every other organization he was with after that, he threw those respected organizations under a bus when Eric didn't perform well.

I hate Eric Lindros and everything he represents. He was never a Flyer as far as I'm concerned. He was a spoiled brat who threw temper tantrums to get his way until he met Bobby Clarke. I still remember Don Cherry telling Eric that Bobby Clarke is not a man to mess with and that if you mess with a bull, you're going to get the horns and that Clarke was a bull because the Philadelphia Flyers means everything to Clarke. Still sends chills down my spine when I see that clip.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That tells me right there that you never saw Bobby play game in and game out. What he brought to the table was way more than just numbers. The intangibles he brought to the team/city are just to many to list. I am glad that I had the chance to watch the skinny kid from Flin Flon do his thing here in Philly.
Those numbers are not easily obtained and I think in order to reach something of that caliber the intangibles are not only helpful but necessary. Giroux is someone I could see reaching that level if he stayed in Philly for that long of a time period and we all know he does more than just get his name in the stat categories night in and out.

On a side note as great as Clarke was as a player I absolutely loathed him as a General Manager. For the two cups he did take part in helping this franchise win he is almost equally responsible for us not having won since then (while he was GM). His obsession with signing over the hill players much passed their prime,his silly Cold War grudge against Russian born players, and the way he handled the Lindros situation were very aggravating and I was ecstatic the day he was finally fired. Both sides were at fault but Clarke, as the face of the management of an organization should have taken the high road as apposed to publicly bashing Eric for his parents being his agents and his injuries (very classless).

Obviously Clarke has a huge ego but sometimes it seems like he secretly doesn't want anyone to ever surpass him or his records and for everything he did for the franchise he just comes off as a grumpy old man now.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

they were both great players but it's all about those cups. this is really not even a debate. clarke is the definition of a hockey player.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:44 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Lindros was an animal, mega talented, but injury plauged which unfortunately we will never now what his ceiling would have been , BUT for my money Bobby Clarke is it when it comes to Flyers skaters Bernie to me was the best with Clarke right behind him

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:45 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

When Gretzky wants to mimic his game off of Clarke - I can't say he isn't the best.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Leadership = Clarke
Intangibles = Clarke
Defensive Play = Clarke
Grit = Clarke
Flyer's mold = Clarke
Willingness to do anything to win = Clarke
Drive = Clarke
Will power = Clarke
Dedication to the organization = Clarke
Ability to withstand long term punishment = Clarke
Ability to make jokes about if hockey doesn't work out just coal mine in Flin Flon = Clarke
Ability to overcome physical handicap (diabetes) = Clarke
Willingness to drop the gloves = Clarke
Best smile = Clarke
Iron spine = Clarke
Better teammate = Clarke
Better value for cost = Clarke
Better future icon = Clarke
"God Given" Hockey talent = Lindros

Actually, if you could have spirited Clarke's soul into Lindros's body-- wow.

Last edited by SeanCWombBroom: 06-15-2012 at 08:56 PM.
SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:20 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I'm one of the very select few who chooses Lindros everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote