HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Glass half-empty, according to Gary Lawless.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:28 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Glass is by all accounts both a good teammate and a good member of the community. If he doesn't sign with the Jets he'll find employment elsewhere. To suggest "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or to refer to him as a "dime a dozen" type is a bit unfair. He isn't a dime a dozen player, he is an NHL player and very few of those jobs are available. Every single one of you would kill to trade places with him.

I'm pretty much ambivalent as to whether or not he stays; regardless, he accorded himself very well in Winnipeg during his time as a Jet and had nothing but positive things to say about the city and the organization during his time here.
Ultimately ,like many other Jet players , he is someone you hope to replace with a better player imo.

He has accorded himself well in Winnipeg, no disagreement ,but as a team that wants to ultimately win , he isn't an above average piece for the role / position he plays imo.

Respecting and liking a player comes into this somewhat , but bottom line it is about whether that player is the answer for the role you have him for . Glass like quite few others on this team is not above average let alone elite for the part he fills on this team. Cormier could easily slide to his spot , bring more size , more grit and probably more offense , plus Cormier is also very good at face offs and can play C.

IMO , time to say good bye.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

I'd gladly let Glass walk and sign Andrew Murray as a depth guy in his place (though I might be biased because Andrew is a local guy). Murray is bigger, faster and brings more to the table offensively IMO. The only thing Glass has over him is the fighting. Plus Murr could probably be had for close to the minimum. By all accounts the Sharks fans were happy with him on their 4th line.

Stej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I'd just as much rather Jordin Tootoo.
I may be wrong, but he's one of the better 3rd/4th liners on the market this summer and made $1.35 this year. I'm thinking he's looking at least at $2 - $2.5 if not $3. I'm thinking Spencer and/or Cormier are better choices.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
I dont mind glass but if we are considering paying him over a mill after a career high 16 pts then count me out.

I wouldnt mind the Jets letting him walk and picking up some one like Tootoo or even Joey Crabb - 67 GP with 101 hits and 26 pts year before he was at 48 GP with 15 pts so he could produce more given the ice time that glass had.

Just an opinion and I will be fine with Glass resigning at a decent price point but I would not be to disappointed at all if we spent another 400-800k a year more on a player that can produce a bit more offensively.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I would have said that Chevy should have resigned him, maybe give him a bit of a raise, but I kind of lost interest after he beaked off about one of the chants the Fans did.

I'd be more then ok if he decided that he could make more elsewhere. I wouldn't want to pay him more then Thorburn, but I'd be ok if he went and pounded sand instead.

Even if they promote Mach and sign Tootoo for the third line. I'd be cool with it.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
This a hundred times.

We need a player with Tootoo's grit, and this season has proven that he can produce well for a fourth liner. A line of Thorburn-Slater-Tootoo would be dynamite, and would intimidate other teams without question.

I can also see Tootoo wanting to play in Winnipeg. He was born in Churchill, and his family lives in Rankin Inlet. It's extremely expensive to fly south from Rankin. Winnipeg (along with Edmonton) is, by far, the cheapest city to fly to from there. Tootoo is the kind of guy who loves the cold weather, and who would fit in perfectly here.

As I said months ago, I really, really want Tootoo on this team.
I think they need that type of guy also. They had it with Rypien, I think having Rick here might have propelled us into the playoffs (maybe that is a silly comment...maybe not).

I am all for a guy like Tootoo. What is the take on him personally, is he a good guy? Could get the phone booth rockin!

TCsmyth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:14 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I would have said that Chevy should have resigned him, maybe give him a bit of a raise, but I kind of lost interest after he beaked off about one of the chants the Fans did.

I'd be more then ok if he decided that he could make more elsewhere. I wouldn't want to pay him more then Thorburn, but I'd be ok if he went and pounded sand instead.

Even if they promote Mach and sign Tootoo for the third line. I'd be cool with it.
That bothered me also. Yeah, sometimes our chants are goofy, but Tanner should have remembered we are the same goofs that chant for his 4th line. You can think it - you don't have to say it to the media

Last edited by TCsmyth: 06-15-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
TCsmyth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
(...)

We need a player with Tootoo's grit, and this season has proven that he can produce well for a fourth liner. A line of Thorburn-Slater-Tootoo would be dynamite, and would intimidate other teams without question.

(...)
That would be the TeSTy line, yes? Don't get them angry. Ahem.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Two things.

No thanks to Jordin Tootoo. We can get what he provides within the organization. The guy is overrated and will be paid that way.

Originally, Gary Lawless was just trying to point out that he was going to need another milkshake soon, and his editor mistook it as his article headline.

Congrats to Lawless for saying one competent thing a year.

06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

While I did like Glass, a player like him can be replaced.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Two things.

No thanks to Jordin Tootoo. We can get what he provides within the organization. The guy is overrated and will be paid that way.
Perhaps he is a bit overrated, I can agree with you on that to a degree. With that being said, I think we could use a Tootoo in the bottom 6. He can throw some nice hits, provide us with a big time physical presence, he'll fight, provide plenty of energy, a spark plug with a bit of offense, etc. On an off night, he can get the bench going, on a night like we had vs. the Sens last year where things get chippy, he'd be the first guy to answer the bell for us and/or perhaps turn the momentum physically in our favor. I think we could use a guy like that. I love having guys you hate to play against but love to have, that is Jordin Tootoo in a nutshell. Opposing players and teams would not look forward to playing Tootoo, especially an amped up Tootoo in an electric MTS. I don't think any one of our forwards bring that combination all at once or consistently enough. Even our grinders in Glass, Slater, Thorburn, Machecek, Cormier don't bring the consistent physical game and presence that Tootoo does. Some guys hit to bump, Tootoo hits to finish, and could do it rather consistently.

I do think he could get 2.5 easily on the open market, I wouldn't want to pay him 3 million, that is way too much, but I think Tootoo could play a role here and serve a purpose, and do it well.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I am all for a guy like Tootoo. What is the take on him personally, is he a good guy? Could get the phone booth rockin!
Tootoo had issued with alcohol, but he entered into the league's substance abuse program, and came out with the best year of his career. He's always been reported to be well liked in the locker room, and does tons of charity work.

Definitely a guy who would be loved in Winnipeg.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 06-15-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: stereotyping, not needed
Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:15 PM
pcanuck

I wouldn't offer Glass more than a 3 year, 3.3M deal. 1.1M per would be a great deal for him but I'm sure Chevy is playing hardball at say, 900K which is still good and Glass may not get much more on the open market. There isn't a significant number of teams looking for a 4th line grinder for 1M. Usually teams can go to the farm to find that.

That being said, I doubt there is any substance to the idea of landing Tootoo - we have an ABUNDANCE of 3rd/4th liners in the AHL and don't need many more and certainly not overpaying for a grinder. Tootoo put up a career high 30pts this year but he's already getting $1.25M a year. He's 29 and might have 2-3 solid years left. He'll want a raise from what he made. Not likely from Chevy. Not sure what everyone is talking about. Why pay over $1.3M for a grinder with no FO skills or well, heart. I'll take Glass every day of the week.

What we need to talk about is our lack of organizational depth at forward - in particular, our lack of scoring potential. Schief is said to be 1-2 years away, Telegin is our next best opportunity but he was still in junior. Other than FA, how are we going to get more consistent scoring on this team? We got career years from some players so we shouldn't have huge expectations. We did nothing last year at the draft or FA. Are we waiting another year or two? We had better draft a scoring forward in the first round or I say trade back and gather depth draft picks! (We also need to draft a goalie this year)

Our horrific defensive mistakes killed us last year. Kulda could solve some of this problem if he can be our stay at home dman. I predict Postma will become our replacement to trading Enstrom this summer or next year (for maybe a late second or early third rounder? 33pts isn't terrific esp consider his playing time).

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I'm not taking anything out of context; I agree he is replaceable.

Was actually just providing some additional context to a thread about a guy that has been nothing but supportive to both Winnipeg and to the Jets organization during his time here.
Agreed and I think these type of conversations can easily degenerate into a situation where the fanbase unjustly disparages a player, exaggerate his (lack of) scoring ability, or paint him as some sort of bad guy, as a sort of entertainment. None of which Glass deserves.

Turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
I wouldn't offer Glass more than a 3 year, 3.3M deal. 1.1M per would be a great deal for him but I'm sure Chevy is playing hardball at say, 900K which is still good and Glass may not get much more on the open market. There isn't a significant number of teams looking for a 4th line grinder for 1M. Usually teams can go to the farm to find that.

That being said, I doubt there is any substance to the idea of landing Tootoo - we have an ABUNDANCE of 3rd/4th liners in the AHL and don't need many more and certainly not overpaying for a grinder. Tootoo put up a career high 30pts this year but he's already getting $1.25M a year. He's 29 and might have 2-3 solid years left. He'll want a raise from what he made. Not likely from Chevy. Not sure what everyone is talking about. Why pay over $1.3M for a grinder with no FO skills or well, heart. I'll take Glass every day of the week.

What we need to talk about is our lack of organizational depth at forward - in particular, our lack of scoring potential. Schief is said to be 1-2 years away, Telegin is our next best opportunity but he was still in junior. Other than FA, how are we going to get more consistent scoring on this team? We got career years from some players so we shouldn't have huge expectations. We did nothing last year at the draft or FA. Are we waiting another year or two? We had better draft a scoring forward in the first round or I say trade back and gather depth draft picks! (We also need to draft a goalie this year)

Our horrific defensive mistakes killed us last year. Kulda could solve some of this problem if he can be our stay at home dman. I predict Postma will become our replacement to trading Enstrom this summer or next year (for maybe a late second or early third rounder? 33pts isn't terrific esp consider his playing time).
I disagree with just about every point you made.

First point = glass vs tootoo. To say tootoo plays with no heart is ridiculous. to say Glass's heart over tootoo's skill (and production) is also ridiculous. I love heart as much as the next guy, but it doesn't put the puck in the net. Heart doesn't reduce the amount of mistakes you make, if anything it may increase them.

furthermore, the point on tootoo's age is ridiculouse. I get the love for youth and everything but really, these guys aren't all going to contract osteo perosis and a degenerative bone disease the moment they hit 30. 30 does not = useless as much as HF might make you think it does.

Scoring via FA= take look in this thread or the free agent one. I listed potential "scoring" UFA's. i think we determined there will be 6-9 of them available for signing...that doesn't give little ol' winnipeg to good of odds of finding one there...

Did nothing at the draft = EDIT: i got confused. As for at the draft, they'd had ownership of the team for a month. The GM had been in control for what? 2 weeks? You've got to really check yourself if you honestly thought their'd be some wheeling and dealing at the draft by this team.

Again as for FA, i know, it's a real shame we didn't sign ville leino or pony.

Drafting a goalie= sure, as long as its in round 5-7. Pasquale looks fine, pav's still has high upside, and goalies are generally pretty easy to replace. Furthermore, a first round drafted goalie is just as likely to pan out as a 6 th round goalie, so lets not do anything foolish

Kulda= I actually don't vehemnately disagree on him, i could see him fighting for a roster spot next year. As for postma/enstrom i don't understand? trade postma instead of enstrom? that i'm into, though i think you'll get more value if you play postma and he "proves" his worth before the trade. If your saying trade enstrom and postma takes his place that's just ridiculous.

in short, I think there's a very good reason most of your points didn't/won't happen.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
OnionPuck

I'd take Tootoo over Glass any day. ANY DAY.

OnionPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Ultimately ,like many other Jet players , he is someone you hope to replace with a better player imo.

He has accorded himself well in Winnipeg, no disagreement ,but as a team that wants to ultimately win , he isn't an above average piece for the role / position he plays imo.

Respecting and liking a player comes into this somewhat , but bottom line it is about whether that player is the answer for the role you have him for . Glass like quite few others on this team is not above average let alone elite for the part he fills on this team. Cormier could easily slide to his spot , bring more size , more grit and probably more offense , plus Cormier is also very good at face offs and can play C.

IMO , time to say good bye.
That's fine and dandy if you do have someone you can replace him with.

There are prospects, yes, but we don't know they're any better than Glass already is. Plus he is somewhat of a fan favourite.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:08 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post
I'd take Tootoo over Glass any day. ANY DAY.
I'll second that, Tootoo would be a fan favorite here! Make it happen Chevy!!

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

I'd like to see Glass remain here. He does his job well and is a good person off the ice. Obviously I don't want to over pay for him but I'd be sad if he left.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:03 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So Winnipeg is the only NHL city that sells alcohol???
Well, Nashville is a dry town.

Great bars in that city - if he can kick his addiction in Nashville, I'm sure he'd be fine elsewhere.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

bring the TOO-TOO train to town....when it arrives it will get the MTS centre rocking

stay firm on Glass 2 yr max contract not to exceed 1 mill per.......i like him but we cant over value our 4th line guys......if he goes to another team after we offer a fair contract so be it.........

Last edited by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17: 06-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
]

]Great bars in that city - if he can kick his addiction in Nashville, I'm sure he'd be fine elsewhere.

Agreed!!! We stopped in Nashville on our way to Florida on a road trip from WPG and our one night stop turned into a two night layover cause we were all still to drunk in the morning to hit the highway after a late night out lmao

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

2 yrs $1.8M - AAV 900k. That's the ideal. Tops is 2M over 2 yrs and that would be a final offer after a couple rounds of negociations, and a couple rounds with Jose Cuervo.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Start a bring Tootoo to Winnipeg thread, I would think it'd be perfect to bring him here, Manitobaish kid, and would easily be a fan favourite, TST line?

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:41 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
That's fine and dandy if you do have someone you can replace him with.

There are prospects, yes, but we don't know they're any better than Glass already is. Plus he is somewhat of a fan favourite.
Cormier can't slide into that spot?

Plus he doesn't have to better than Glass right now as he is younger , more apt to improve his game and thicker and grittier , plus he adds solid value in face off circle , maybe much better than solid. At some point you have to give your prospects a chance and while I respect Glass , he honestly didn't play at an above average level for his role/position imo.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote