HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 02:49 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
What is wrong with having your #6 defenseman play like a 6th defenseman?
When he's only getting 3-5 minutes a game, it's a problem. Torts obviously didn't trust him enough. If we can get someone whom Torts trusts to play for 14-15 minutes a game, then it will take some pressure off our top 4.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

1) Schultz is 22. Gilroy was 25.
2) Schultz was a 2nd round pick. Gilroy was undrafted.
3) Schultz scored more than a PPG in both his sophomore and junior seasons. Gilroy didn't break out until his senior year and was never a PPG player.
4) Schultz has played defense all his life. Gilroy started out as a forward and switched to defense in college.

There is absolutely no downside to signing Schultz.
Perspective. Never a bad thing.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

To be fair, Gilroy looked like a stud in the making in his first NHL preseason. He scored a highlight goal against the devils that made most fans think he definitely had the potential to be a top flight offensive defenseman. The problem was he stopped developing. Not sure why, but he just never took that next step and has never really looked comfortable in his role as an NHL defenseman.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
What's wrong is I don't want him to be our 6th defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
didn't bickel go 5 months without having a goal scored against him while he was on the ice? imo he just wasn't conditioned for the end of the season + his confidence dwindled because any mistake while he was on the ice he got the blame. (del zotto's random turnovers/failure to cover his man+staal pinching in randomly while bickel was already in the zone.. etc.) i don't think bickel was bad at all. i think he had a few bad months be it from conditioning, rest, or mental. he was great for months for what he costs. hell bickel makes the defensive save of the playoffs against ottawa and the next game he has a bad turnover recovers and breaks up 2 of the 3 on a 3 on 2 and del zotto fails to cover his man and bickel gets benched. he's not that bad at all. to say zero chance of making the playoffs with him is just ignorant. especially with the season he had outside of that. we had people saying "i really hope torts knows what he has with bickel" then come playoffs "HES DAMAGED GOODS! GET RID OF HIM!!!"

we def have better coming up, but the guy had a good season. let's not make it sound like he's the reason we lost.
So you're saying you'll be satisfied if he's our 6th defenseman going into the playoffs, next year?

Can anyone here say that?

Old
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Just to clarify, I dont think there's any comparison between Gilroy and Schultz. Just responding regarding the hype associated the Gilroy. It's not like it came out of nowhere. He certainly showed signs.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
To be fair, Gilroy looked like a stud in the making in his first NHL preseason. He scored a highlight goal against the devils that made most fans think he definitely had the potential to be a top flight offensive defenseman. The problem was he stopped developing. Not sure why, but he just never took that next step and has never really looked comfortable in his role as an NHL defenseman.
thats not his problem...his problem isnt that he stopped developing, his problem is his entire game is built on his skating. just like scott blowmez. hes fast as hell, however he also gets pushed around. you cant play D if you are a sissy. He was positionally ok, but along the boards he got DOMINATED. if he had a helluva shot, that would be one thing, but he doesnt. is like Karlsson over in Ottawa. Very fast skater, not that great in his own zone (granted, getting better)...however hes got the booming shot. Gilroy also didnt have great vision. id call it below average.

I was never enamored with Gilroy...i think Schultz is a better player, but, frankly, i think Erixon is probably better than Schultz. Just my opinion.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Nothing, except there's no guarantee that Bickel can continue to play at even that level. He was very uneven, even when he was playing "well". I completely agree with those posters who do NOT want him re-signed.

There are plenty of defensemen out there who can be brought in to compete for the 6th/7th spot. Hopefully, someone who has shown a little more already and still has some potential left untapped.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Why is Gilroy even being brought up? Two completely different situations.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:43 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Andy Strickland @andystrickland
#Badgers D-man and former #Ducks draft pick Justin Schultz is expected to sign with a Canadien club #Leafs #Canucks or #Oilers

Old
06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
#Badgers D-man and former #Ducks draft pick Justin Schultz is expected to sign with a Canadien club #Leafs #Canucks or #Oilers
He must not understand that we are the team that fits his needs.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
clearly

Old
06-15-2012, 04:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Andy is a little confused. One of his other tweets today

Quote:
#Flames‬ prospect John Ramage is expected to return to Wisconsin and Captain the ‪#Badgers‬ for his sr. season
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...32035326517250

Expected to return?

The player said he was returning his senior year on May 2

Quote:
It's official, Mike Eaves has his captain back. In a tweet this afternoon, Badger defenseman John Ramage confirmed that he's returning to Madison for his final season of eligibility.
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...-senior-season

Schultz was also expected to sign with Anaheim. What did he tell the Ducks in Chicago last December? Don't worry I'll be there.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Andy is a little confused. One of his other tweets today

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...32035326517250

Expected to return?

The player said he was returning his senior year on May 2

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...-senior-season

Schultz was also expected to sign with Anaheim. What did he tell the Ducks in Chicago last December? Don't worry I'll be there.
Is that supposed to be an attack on his credibility? If so, poor attempt.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Pizza

Quote:
This sets the table for some massive Rangers hate on the main board...which I have to say I love. If the Rangers sign Schultz the posts on that first day after the signing should be comedy gold.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I don't believe this crap.

How is it EXPECTED?

Because Strickland wants him to?

How would he have any information on where Schultz is THINKING of signing.

The offers haven't even been made yet so he doesn't even technically know who's interested and what theyd offer him, although obviously its all pretty much the same.

Tampering?!

Nobody knows except Schultz and I doubt he leaked that info to someone like Strickland.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I don't believe this crap.

How is it EXPECTED?

Because Strickland wants him to?

How would he have any information on where Schultz is THINKING of signing.

The offers haven't even been made yet so he doesn't even technically know who's interested and what theyd offer him, although obviously its all pretty much the same.

Tampering?!

Nobody knows except Schultz and I doubt he leaked that info to someone like Strickland.
Schultz has an agent. That agent presumably has a mouth. Strickland has ears. They likely have mutual acquaintances with both mouths and ears as well.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Kershaw

Told you......

Old
06-15-2012, 05:01 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
McKenzie reported this over a week ago and people here ripped me apart for believing it.

Hes not signing with us folks, lets get over it now or you will be dissapointed on july 1st.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
What's wrong is I don't want him to be our 6th defenseman.

So you're saying you'll be satisfied if he's our 6th defenseman going into the playoffs, next year?

Can anyone here say that?
let's weigh some options...
as of right now we have:
mcdonagh/girardi
del zotto/staal
*erixon/XX

if stralman is not coming back(he's homesick and might not want to stay), we don't sign schultz(1 of 29 teams after him-- odds aren't all that great--though i def believe we're a frontrunner), and sauer is still injured(not looking bright for him- losing a lot of conditioning, may never play again)-- then yes-- i would be 100% content with bickel staying on this team as a 6th. i'd prefer him over eminger(age/injury history)

*erixon may not even be in... then we have two spots to fill with other teams' rejects when the majority of the league is looking for defensemen. bickel has the experience. knows our system. he had a great start last year.

he's not bad by any extent. he's not a top 4 guy and we don't need him to be. he's been more than safe on D the majority of his time here.

i have a feeling you're weighing him against our top pairings instead of the rest of the league... he's not mcdonagh. he's not staal. he's not girardi. he's not del zotto. he's a solid 3rd pairing guy who can double as a forward in a pinch if we get desperate in depth. he does fine.

who do you want, john ****ing scott? orrr maybe we'll just trade away a prospect or roster player for a depth defenseman? no thanks! we don't have many options. bickel's does exactly what he needs to and he's willing to drop the gloves.

bickel's biggest problem is that torts doesn't trust him yet.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
McKenzie reported this over a week ago and people here ripped me apart for believing it.

Hes not signing with us folks, lets get over it now or you will be dissapointed on july 1st.
that's hardly conclusive. everyone knows that there's a chance he'll sign in canada, but i've yet to see any proof.

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 06-15-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added original quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Is that supposed to be an attack on his credibility? If so, poor attempt.
Why do you get so offended? Last week,you wrote a response which took up nearly an entire page.

Strickland was wrong about Ramage because the player announced he was staying in school 6 weeks ago. I read his article earlier today with the Schultz and Ramage stuff and then he tweets as if he is breaking news on Ramage.

Its my opinion. You have your opinions. In my opinion,the best spot for Schultz is the Rangers. If he doesn't want to sign here,his loss.

As we have seen before,Schultz is an unpredictable character. He tells the Ducks in December that he will turn pro after Wisconsin's is over and then decides to become a free agent. When Wisconsin was bounced by Denver in the WCHA tournament,there were reports of him signing with Anaheim in a few days and using up a season off the ELC. His Badger teammates were tweeting the day after they lost to Denver their thanks to him for being a good teammate as if he was turning pro in the next day or two.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
When Wisconsin was bounced by Denver in the WCHA tournament,there were reports of him signing with Anaheim in a few days and using up a season off the ELC. His Badger teammates were tweeting the day after they lost to Denver their thanks to him for being a good teammate as if he was turning pro in the next day or two.
Something must've gone pretty wrong in the contract negotiations that took place between Schultz/Agent and the Ducks at that time.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Why do you get so offended? Last week,you wrote a response which took up nearly an entire page.

Strickland was wrong about Ramage because the player announced he was staying in school 6 weeks ago. I read his article earlier today with the Schultz and Ramage stuff and then he tweets as if he is breaking news on Ramage.

Its my opinion. You have your opinions. In my opinion,the best spot for Schultz is the Rangers. If he doesn't want to sign here,his loss.

As we have seen before,Schultz is an unpredictable character. He tells the Ducks in December that he will turn pro after Wisconsin's is over and then decides to become a free agent. When Wisconsin was bounced by Denver in the WCHA tournament,there were reports of him signing with Anaheim in a few days and using up a season off the ELC. His Badger teammates were tweeting the day after they lost to Denver their thanks to him for being a good teammate as if he was turning pro in the next day or two.
It's cool that you have opinions. If I get offended (and I wouldn't say that's the right word) it's because you have a tendency to frame your opinions as absolutes.

I hope Schultz signs with the Rangers, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
It's cool that you have opinions. If I get offended (and I wouldn't say that's the right word) it's because you have a tendency to frame your opinions as absolutes.
That's always a fun argument. Is it him framing his opinion as absolutes or is it just simply you reading them that way? This whole idea that we need to disclaim everything we say as our opinion, which you see all over the place, is a hilarious one to me.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I do not want Stu Bickel going into cap being the 6th D for this team. It will not set this team up for success. They need someone that can reasonably log 12-14 minutes in the PLAYOFFS, which means getting a guy that can take a regular shift around 18 minutes in the regular season. It won't cost that much as there are some RH D that are available that can do that.

Hannan, Jurchina, Staios. Those are names that need to be brought up by the management group here and talked to right away. They will go off the market quick if you are late to the party on July 1.

I'd love to bring Stralman back, but if he is seriously going to play in Sweden to be closer to his family, than that's fine by me. Wouldn't be the first time a player did that and it won't be the last.

I would love a vet like the guys above and even on top of that signing Schultz to an ELC. If they sign him, you would be looking at Girardi, McIlrath and Schultz being the future of the right side of the defense. Someone becomes expendable at some point AND I do not mean this season. Del Zotto/Erixon could land this team a top tier forward in a couple seasons. McDonagh and Staal will not be going anywhere. They are locks on defense for the next 7-10 years.

Imagine it gets to a point where it will not matter who is going out there and playing defense against a specific player or line as much as we do right now? Players like McDonagh, Girardi, and Staal will be fresher than they usually would be. It'd be awesome to get that kind of skill and depth on defense.

Closed Thread