Poll - rank these draft picks in order of whom you'd like the Jets to select

Old
06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Have you watched him play? He may be the single most overrated prospect in the last 3 drafts.

Faksa is better for Winnipeg in literally every way.
I never said the Jets should do an off the board pick and take Gaunce ahead of any of those guys.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
pcanuck

vCash: 500
Mikhail Grigorenko
Teuvo Teravainen

would be the only two I would consider drafting. This draft has a significant number of strong defencemen in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I would take either if they were available at #9.

IF they were not, I would trade back with say Buffalo to get a late first rounder and early second or Tampa Bay who have accumulated a crap load of picks in the second round. We have lots of depth at D in junior and in the minors.

We have no organizational depth at forward - no skilled scorers coming up for at least 2 years. We need depth there - we can not afford to take the best player available. We have to fill the shelves and lots of picks do that.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:15 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I hope and hope they take Reinhart or Reilly, not a forward, we don't need Dumba because hes a small Byfuglien and Buff already fills the position, Reilly is a ton like Enstrom, but matters if he wants to remain with the club, but Reinhart would be perfect either way, and if we do take a forward, the one we'll most likely take is either Yakupov or Galchenyuk, if they are available, but also I hope and hope we don't take Faksa.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
I hope and hope they take Reinhart or Reilly, not a forward, we don't need Dumba because hes a small Byfuglien and Buff already fills the position, Reilly is a ton like Enstrom, but matters if he wants to remain with the club, but Reinhart would be perfect either way, and if we do take a forward, the one we'll most likely take is either Yakupov or Galchenyuk, if they are available, but also I hope and hope we don't take Faksa.
that is extrordinarily unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, i'd flip if they were, but that's asking for a lot to go right.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:59 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Summary posted in the first post. I only included the posts where all 7 players were sorted.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:32 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind Ceci actually. Makes smart hits, smart passing. I think he would fit in well with our line up with some good development.

There may be other players that are better. I'm partial to Griffen Reinhart personally...but that may or may not be because his name is super bad ass.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Without reading any other posts in this thread (I didn’t want my opinion to be influenced), here are my rankings. I’m all about trying to acquire top-end talent in the first round which is why I’ve probably got a slightly riskier list than most.

1) Teuvo Teravainen – some say he's the most skilled player in the draft, draws comparisons to Giroux in his draft year, is almost a full year younger than many draftees and hence has more room to grow (literally and figuratively)

2) Morgan Rielly – a huge wildcard given his injury last year but arguably the most skilled defenseman in the draft, great skating and passing, smart, decent enough defensively especially compared to other puck-moving defenseman, I feel like his top-end is higher than the other defensemen available

3) Radek Faksa – he brings size and physicality to a position where we dearly need it, great 2-way player, great along the boards, arguably close to NHL-ready, he’s a bit safer (see #5/6 below, but the fact that he’s a forward caused me to slot him at #3)

4) Mathew Dumba – possibly the biggest boom/bust risk in the draft due to his combination of size and style of play, great energy and effort, his goal-scoring from the back end makes him worth the risk

5/6) Griffin Reinhart/Jacob Trouba – these guys represent the safe picks to me, possibly less upside than the 4 guys above but also a greater chance of reaching their potential IMO

7) Mikhail Grigorenko – I lived through the Filatov fiasco as a Columbus fan so enigmatic/moody Russian = no

Two key guys that should be around when we pick that you left off are Lindholm and Ceci. I would consider taking either of them before some of the guys above.

Edit: Wow, I was right about my list being very different than the others. Disclaimer: my info came from a combination of free stuff on the internet and the McKeen's draft publication mixed together with a dose of my own personal opinion.

Last edited by Stej: 06-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:18 AM
mondo3

Quote:
Two key guys that should be around when we pick that you left off are Lindholm and Ceci. I would consider taking either of them before some of the guys above.
I used the names that were generally showing up as Wpg's pick in the various mock drafts. Perhaps I should have included Lindholm, Ceci, and Gaunce but it's too late now.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Prairiehockey

vCash: 754
Mikhail Grigorenko - despite the perceived risks, he's too talented to pass up.
Teuvo Teravainen - Its close between TT & Faksa. Faksa could be the long term answer for the 2nd line center but Teravainen has the potential to develop into a better player than Yakupov IMO.
Radek Faksa - See above
*Ceci* - I know he's not supposed to be in the list but I like him better than the remaining guys.
Mathew Dumba - Like him but I'd rather pass and take a flyer on Thrower if he's there at 39.
Jacob Trouba -I'm not entirely sold on Trouba.
Griffin Reinhart - My feelings on Reinhart seem to change daily...by tomorrow I might like him better than Trouba...can't put my finger on why.
Morgan Rielly

Prairiehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:59 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Wild stab at this ......

1) Faksa - possesses everything I admire in a player. I see Kopitar potential even if it is a poor man's.

2) Trouba - solid all around game. Reminds me of Jack Johnson.

3) Teravainen - Undeniable skill and will grow into his body. What's WPG without a star Finn?

4) Reinhart - Has all the makings of a solid top 4. If only he were more physically intimidating.

5) Reilly - Feel he is not given even credit for his two way play. I think his upside is Letang.

*6) Ceci - Very underrated d-man imo and may end up as the best of the bunch.

*7) Girgensons - Size, skill and intangibles. What more can you ask for? Teams will regret passing on him.

*8) Lindholm - Smart, mobile and talented. Just another outstanding young Swedish d-man.

I ranked them like this to distinguish them, but I believe an argument can be made for all and I won't be disappointed if any of these are the JETS selection.

Call me crazy, but Dumba and Grigorenko just scare me. Yes they are undeniably talented, but the bust potential is too much for my liking.

With Grigorenko it's the questions of heart and compete level as well as there always being the KHL factor.

Dumba's skill and drive are tantalizing, but will it translate well at the NHL level?

I think I'd rather pass on a player who ends up being better than the player I selected than select a player that I am scared will bust all together. Does that make any sense?

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Rank them in order from your first choice to your last, and when everyone's done, I'll derive the summary. I've eliminated the players who are most likely to have been taken ahead of us.

Mathew Dumba
Radek Faksa
Mikhail Grigorenko
Griffin Reinhart
Morgan Rielly
Teuvo Teravainen
Jacob Trouba
1. Grigorenko
2. Faksa
3. Trouba
4. Reinhart
(Ceci)
5. Teravainen
6. Rielly
7. Dumba

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:41 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

1. Teuvo Teravainen - can skate and dangle like no other available; compliments power forward types like Ladd, Kane, Wheeler
2. Mikhail Grigorenko - if he falls to us then nice steal
3. Radek Faksa - like the size and would make a great 1-2 punch with either Burmistrov or Scheifele
4. Jacob Trouba - Next to Murray I think he's the best d-man in the draft.
5. Griffin Reinhart - great name and lienage but I'm afraid he's a bit too soft and not quite offensively gifted enough.
6. Mathew Dumba - not sure if his style can translate to pro hockey. Hopefully, for his sake, he can add 20-25lbs before going pro.
7. Morgan Rielly - Could be a perfect replacement for Enstrom in 3 years. Pretty safe pick but probably not superstar potential.

I would be happy with all these picks. I'm also a fan of Tomas Hertl and Pontus Aberg. The Jets may reach again like they did with Scheifele.

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Mikhail Grigorenko
Teuvo Teravainen
Morgan Rielly
Jacob Trouba
Radek Faksa
Griffin Reinhart
Mathew Dumba

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Bob Mackenzie's list for reference:

1) Griffin Reinhart
2) Mathew Dumba
3) Teuvo Teravainen
4) Morgan Rielly
5) Jacob Trouba
6) Radek Faksa
7) Mikhail Grigorenko

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Dumba
Grigorienko
Faksa
Trouba
Reinhart
Reilly

Teravainen

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Round John

1 - Reinhart
2 - Dumba
3 - Grigorenko
4 - Reilly
5 - Teravainen
6 - Trouba
7 - Faksa

jets staff spent a considerable amount of time scouting reinhart during the regular season, whl playoffs, and memorial cup. more than just the amount of time to build a file on a player, suggesting a greater than average interest in him.

Round John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
1. Teuvo Teravainen
2. Griffin Reinhart
3. Jacob Trouba
4. Mathew Dumba
5. Mikhail Grigorenko
6. Radek Faksa
7. Morgan Rielly

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Reinhart
Grigorenko
Teravainen
Dumba
Faksa
Trouba
Rielly

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Griffin Reinhart
Mikhail Grigorenko
Radek Faksa
Jacob Trouba
Teuvo Teravainen
Mathew Dumba
Morgan Rielly

I'd be happy with any one of Reinhart, Grigorenko (I'd have confidence the Jets did their homework on him), Faksa or Trouba. Not sold on Teravainen, Dumba or Rielly.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I firmly believe Dumba will be a bust. He has all the makings of the next Boris Valabik, minus a few inches in height. Really, REALLY hope we don't draft him.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:29 PM
mondo3

Results updated - some positions have changed

Old
06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

The Jets First-Round Selection

Now that the regular season has ended and the Jets finished outside of the playoffs, it gives fans the (hopefully) unique experience of looking forward to next year and following junior-aged prospects and preparing mock drafts. Being a long time Oilers fan, I have several years worth of experience in getting mentally prepared for the draft.

With that in mind, I have decided to take a look at six possible prospects who the Jets could call to the podium at the end of June in Pittsburgh. Previous 9th overall picks are sort of a mixed-bag of talent, potential and busts. Names such as Dougie Hamilton, Mikael Granlund, Jared Cowan, Josh Bailey, Logan Couture and James Sheppard should give Jets’ fans a healthy dose of optimism and just a smidge of fear, but odds are that the Jets will at very least get a contributing roster player.

Culling the names from Craig Button’s, Bob McKenzie’s list and also Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus, we come up with the following names that may or may not set the Jets’ cheering section (me) to cheering.

To read Kyle's full assessment, click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Personally, I see it as:

1) Grigorenko/Dumba (you just can't pass on either of these guys if they slip to us)
2) Reinhart/Rielly/Trouba (reliable defensemen, which is really our biggest need right now)
3) Teravainen (tons of potential - he was almost a 2013 draftee - but he's not as familiar with the North American style)
4) Faksa (solid all around player)

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote