HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL playoff format

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Salz

vCash: 500
NHL playoff format

It's been so long that the Rangers have been in it that I forgot what I format they use. So I did some research (basically I looked at the 2004 playoffs) and discovered that they do not have a set bracket; by that I mean the highest seed plays the lowest seed in the second round. In the NBA, however, it's 1/8 vs 4/5 and 2/7 vs 3/6. I defiently prefer this format matter because it rewards the higher seeds. Since the Rangers could be #3, it doesn't really affect them so much, but I thought I'd let you guys know how it's formatted in case you were unaware.

Last edited by Salz: 04-05-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Umm, way to be extraordinarily confusing in your explanation.

The NHL seeds it's teams 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 etc in the first round. In the second round, the teams get reseeded. Then it's 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. The seeds in the 2nd round are determined by the seeds in the first round. In other words, if the season ended with the standings looking like they do now, the Rangers would be ranked ahead of the Sabres in all round even though the Sabres have more points.

Old
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Salz

"So I did some research (basically I looked at the 2004 playoffs) and discovered that they do not have a set bracket; by that I mean the highest seed plays the lowest seed in the second round."

There is absolutely NOTHING confusing by that. The highest seed plays the lowest seed remaining in the second round. You're the one who made it really confusing. No one is 'reseeded' and I'm not even sure what the term means. The highest seed plays the lowest seed left and the other matchup is set up off that. Here's two mock scenarios:

Scenario A:

1 Ottawa vs 8 Montreal- Ottawa wins

2 Carolina vs 7 Tampa Bay- Tampa bay wins

3 Rangers vs 6 Devils- Rangers win

4 Buffalo vs 5 Philly- Buffalo win

Second round would be- Ottawa vs Tampa Bay, Rangers vs Buffalo

However, in Scenario B:

Ottawa(1), Carolina(2), New Jersey(6), and Buffalo(4) win

Then it would be Ottawa vs New Jersey, Carolina vs Buffalo

It's really rather simple, Tawnos, and I don't appreciate you acting like a ***** when I'm just trying to help. If you can't find what I'm saying to be clear, then you might be ********.

Old
04-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Reseeded. If the 1-4 teams all make it, their seeds stay the same. If teams 1, 3, 6 and 8 make it, they get reseeded into 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. The NHL has been using that term for ages.

Your post was confusing because you contradicted yourself (by itself, your quote makes sense). But that aside, as long as we know how it works, that's all that matters.

Old
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Salz

I still don't see how I contradicted myself.

Old
04-05-2006, 03:54 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz
I still don't see how I contradicted myself.
not trying to get in the middle of this...but the original post did seem a little confusing to me. no big deal. let's focus on more important things...

WE'RE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS!

Old
04-05-2006, 03:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz
However, in Scenario B:

Ottawa(1), Carolina(2), New Jersey(6), and Buffalo(4) win

Then it would be Ottawa vs New Jersey, Carolina vs Buffalo
This example sucks

Old
04-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Salz

look maybe I made it longer than possible but the main line was that the highest seed plays the lowest remaining seed in the second round and that's pretty clear to me. whatever, its over. lets get the division and the 3 seed.

Closed Thread