HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That's always a fun argument. Is it him framing his opinion as absolutes or is it just simply you reading them that way? This whole idea that we need to disclaim everything we say as our opinion, which you see all over the place, is a hilarious one to me.
Yes, people saying phrases like "I believe that", and "It's likely that" is an epidemic and must be stopped.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yes, people saying phrases like "I believe that", and "It's likely that" is an epidemic and must be stopped.
:shrug: It's fine for people to do that and I wasn't saying those disclaimers are bad. However, if you can't figure that out for yourself on an internet message board without the direct disclaimer, I don't know what to tell you.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I do not want Stu Bickel going into cap being the 6th D for this team. It will not set this team up for success. They need someone that can reasonably log 12-14 minutes in the PLAYOFFS, which means getting a guy that can take a regular shift around 18 minutes in the regular season. It won't cost that much as there are some RH D that are available that can do that.

Hannan, Jurchina, Staios. Those are names that need to be brought up by the management group here and talked to right away. They will go off the market quick if you are late to the party on July 1.
Agree with all of this, except that Hannan plays LD and I have little interest in Staios. Bryan Allen is a good name to look at too. If you're thinking about Hannan, you may as well look at Aucoin too.

Also, I wouldn't discount the idea that Bickel could improve next season. He's just before the period of time I consider to be most defensemen's prime. He could improve next season too.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
:shrug: It's fine for people to do that, but if you can't figure that out for yourself on an internet message board without the direct disclaimer, I don't know what to tell you.
My issue isn't that I'm confused and I can't actually figure out whether something is an opinion or a fact if the poster doesn't tell me its his opinion. I just think that stating it a certain way can portray a level of arrogance. I recognize that I'm a little over-sensitive on this issue.

But anyways, I'm sure everyone is finding this debate thrilling.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Agree with all of this, except that Hannan plays LD and I have little interest in Staios. Bryan Allen is a good name to look at too. If you're thinking about Hannan, you may as well look at Aucoin too.

Also, I wouldn't discount the idea that Bickel could improve next season. He's just before the period of time I consider to be most defensemen's prime. He could improve next season too.
Hannan played a lot of RD with Calgary this season.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:08 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:

Competition is better. With the top 4 set in stone, you want to bring in players that will compete with the guys you already have. I would like to see Staios or Jurchina signed.

Also, I confuse the handedness of Sarich and Hannan, both on Calgary last season and both UFA's. He's another guy worth taking a look at.

Also, there are only so many RH shots on defense in the NHL. 70% are LH so most teams have 1 or 2 guys playing on the right side with a left handed shot. I'd like a quality NHL veteran for the 6th spot and have him compete with Bickel who can get better, but I'd like to see someone proven.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
NJRangers35

If we are indeed not getting Schultz, then what does everyone think about Garrison? I don't watch many Panther games but his stats don't look too bad.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
If we are indeed not getting Schultz, then what does everyone think about Garrison? I don't watch many Panther games but his stats don't look too bad.
If you're paying him expecting him to repeat his production, you'll likely be disappointed.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
It's cool that you have opinions. If I get offended (and I wouldn't say that's the right word) it's because you have a tendency to frame your opinions as absolutes.

I hope Schultz signs with the Rangers, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.
Who cares? This is a messageboard...are opinions framed as "absolutes" as you call them, outlawed?

Rangerboy is usually correct and sensible with his posts and, most importantly, he uses actual news and facts to back up those posts....which is more than I can say than the vast majority of posters here.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:37 PM
XLJ

So what happens if we dont sign Schultz?

I dont really like any of the UFA's besides Suter. Do we resign Eminger? Maybe, trade for someone like Anton Babchuk to help the powerplay.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This is what Strickland wrote today

Quote:
Word is University of Wisconsin Captain John Ramage will return for his senior season.

Sources say teammate Justin Schultz is considering three NHL teams with Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton possibilities. Leafs GM Brian Burke drafted Schultz when he was with Anaheim but the offensive D-man has elected not to sign with the Ducks. Schultz scored 34 goals the last two seasons with the Badgers.
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Hot-Stove-Time

Ramage confirmed on May 2 he was staying at Wisconsin. Word is?

On twitter,he wrote something else about Schultz. Is he going to sign with one of those teams or are they possibilities? Are those the 3 teams? Is it just 3 teams?

Old
06-15-2012, 07:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

EJ Hradek does his daily feature. The 5 on 5. 5 things he discusses. #4 was Schultz today. Hradek said it will be interesting to see where Schultz ends up . He is the 3rd best free agent available. He doesn't know where Schultz will sign. No teams were mentioned.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:26 PM
LordsCup*

10:1 he signs with a Canadian team.

Lets move out of this pipe dream. Its obviously slowly leaking out hes going North.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Kershaw

Yeah this offseason will blow if we don't sign this guy. Especially if you factor in the 3 month lockout. -.-

Old
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

On twitter,he wrote something else about Schultz. Is he going to sign with one of those teams or are they possibilities? Are those the 3 teams? Is it just 3 teams?
the way it's worded it just sounds like anywhere could be a possibility. it does not sound definitive... could easily be interpreted as an editorial.

of those teams; however, i'd put the money on vancouver. i despise them, but they're the only ones that have been contenders--albeit i wouldn't rule edmonton out... or toronto for that matter lol

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 06-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
the way it's worded it just sounds like anywhere could be a possibility. it does not sound definitive... could easily be interpreted as an editorial.

of those teams; however, i'd put the money on vancouver. i despise them, but they're the only ones that have been contenders--albeit i wouldn't rule edmonton out... or toronto for that matter lol
Well, if he wants to go to a contender, then Vancouver it would be. Plus, he's from there.

I could even see Edmonton cause he'd probably be their best D-man (lol) and he'd be able to grow with an amazing forward corps.

Don't see why he'd go to Toronto, sure his buddy is there, but at the moment they're not a contender and are a bit of a mess.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Well, if he wants to go to a contender, then Vancouver it would be. Plus, he's from there.

I could even see Edmonton cause he'd probably be their best D-man (lol) and he'd be able to grow with an amazing forward corps.

Don't see why he'd go to Toronto, sure his buddy is there, but at the moment they're not a contender and are a bit of a mess.
More than a bit. Vancouver im betting.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:29 AM
egelband

sorry if this is repetitive, but from when can schultz sign with another team? is that july 1?

Old
06-16-2012, 05:21 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
sorry if this is repetitive, but from when can schultz sign with another team? is that july 1?
He can start talking to other NHL teams effectuvr June 25, but can't sign a contract until July 1.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Steve Simmons was on twitter last week taking questions on a flight to LA. He didn't believe Newport Sports would place Schultz in Edmonton.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:25 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
He can start talking to other NHL teams effectuvr June 25, but can't sign a contract until July 1.
ah cool. thanks very much.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:45 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Bet my imac that he ain't coming here.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post

toronto is definitely the least likely imo... but his buddy is there and burke is the gm that drafted him. i doubt it's likely, but it's certainly a possibility. vancouver is the most likely imo because as you said they're contenders and he's from there. edmonton is a strong possibility due to the young core of talent that he'll be emerging with, but personally i wouldn't choose them due to first off-- the weather-- and second the fact that i don't have a "guaranteed" career there due to the need to give a bunch of the kids huge salaries... and they're not really contenders just yet... i certainly would say we're top 2 or 3 US teams-- definitively only really putting the penguins close (i hate crosby/malkin, but i'm sure a young kid like that would consider himself lucky to play with those guys)

in edmonton he'd more than likely be their best defenseman and it would give him the opportunity to play serious minutes. they're not much of a shot blocking team like us. here he'd be 2nd pairing to start(over the next few years-- maybe not right away) and probably would stay there.

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 06-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old
06-16-2012, 09:15 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

So, Rangers are out?

Old
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

So he's not signing the the Ducks so he can sign with Edmonton? Lol I don't buy it.