HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Good points BN. Maybe a bit of wishful thinking on my part. I'd love to see us come out of this one with at least two good sized, talented scoring prospects. Then hopefully we sign Schultz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Some teams like to diversify. They play the odds and assume something like one of every 5 prospects makes the show, so we're better off with five good prospects than 1 great one and a 2 average ones. From what I can tell, Clarke and his team does not share that mantra. They target the players they like and will make moves to add more picks when they feel it's necessary, but I don't see them ever trading down.
If Slats and co knows that Schultz is signing going into the draft, watch them trade the 1st and 2nd to move up for someone they like. Then the line becomes 'We signed Schultz so there's your 2nd rounder', like they did when Matt Gilroy was signed

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If Slats and co knows that Schultz is signing going into the draft, watch them trade the 1st and 2nd to move up for someone they like. Then the line becomes 'We signed Schultz so there's your 2nd rounder', like they did when Matt Gilroy was signed
Haha, that would be an interesting turn of events. Trade up and grab Collberg, then sign Schultz a few days later. I dig it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Haha, that would be an interesting turn of events. Trade up and grab Collberg, then sign Schultz a few days later. I dig it.
I'm gonna be shocked if they trade down.

And if this trading down business and picking up extra 2nds happens I sure hope it doesn't go like the 2004 draft

Old
06-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Pizza

Quote:
That's actually a damn good point!

Hopefully the result is better than with Gilroy. People around here hyped that one pretty good. I'm confident based on folks I respect that Schultz is a better player.

Yeah, this is going to be interesting on a lot of levels.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
eco's bones

There's a point in any draft where you think 'well, it's a crapshoot--but now it's really a crapshoot'--pretty much happens when there are several candidates and not a lot of difference in which one you take. The Rangers 1st rounders the last several years have been in the teens and the drafts deep enough and players falling further than was thought. This is one of the reasons why I think if Vasilevskiy is still there at 28 you might hold on to it and take him--but if you don't think there's a ton of difference between several players dropping a few spots to pick up extra picks makes a lot of sense. The lateness of the pick and the fair probability that no one particular player will stand out at that point is why I think that this year has a chance of being different and we trade down.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Who's gonna trade up for a late 1st rounder in this draft? Then you have to figure, what are they willing to pay to move to #28 in this kind of draft? Most teams will probably want to hold onto the picks, same thought process we're all hoping for - the more picks the better chance one of these raw kids pays off.

I think its more likely teams try to unload a player with a contract they don't want to pay in exchange for #28. And I doubt that player/contract is worth it.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

NHL draft order has been released

#59 because

Quote:
Pick 55 -- San Jose assigned a compensatory pick; did not sign 2007 1st-round pick (25th overall), C Patrick White.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634895

VAN drafted White and was traded to SJ in the Ehrhoff trade in 2009

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Who's gonna trade up for a late 1st rounder in this draft? Then you have to figure, what are they willing to pay to move to #28 in this kind of draft? Most teams will probably want to hold onto the picks, same thought process we're all hoping for - the more picks the better chance one of these raw kids pays off.

I think its more likely teams try to unload a player with a contract they don't want to pay in exchange for #28. And I doubt that player/contract is worth it.
You could say there's a kid someone really likes who is on the board at #28, and that team happens to have an extra pick or two they're willing to part with.

I'd say Tampa Bay, but they just dealt two of them for Lindback.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Every team has different lists and hunches than the other teams. Rangers might not see much difference in several forwards per se at 28 but the radar might be up for another team. No way of telling all that now though--have to wait for draft day.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Jun 15, 2012 10:24a

Zachary Stepan following cousin Derek's path, though the youngster believes he's more grittier [smirk]. http://t.co/JADPKmsH #NHLDraft

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/mike_morreale/sta...38167755100161
Grittier and ****tier.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
What would you guys think about taking Vasilevsky at 28?
I wouldn't mind taking a goalie. A Russian goalie? No thanks. That's the last thing we need. A guy in the first round who doesn't want to play in the AHL getting offered a nice, fat KHL deal.

If he's there in the 2nd, sure. Go for it. At 28? **** no. I have zero problem taking a Russian. Not a Russian goalie, though.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hart sounds to me like he might be the closest thing to a Chris Kreider type prospect in this draft. Lots of size and natural tools--needs lots of development. I would have no problem with that pick either.
Nah, that would be Mac Squared. Big, very fast, raw, relatively untested.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:13 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Saw some Yakupov highlights on NHL Network...he looks like a clone of Stamkos out there. Only difference is handedness. He's got that release in his shot.

Button said Yakupov reminds him of Bure. I can see it, but Yakupov seems more finesse, although he does have fantastic speed.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
CM PUNK

One example of a team that might be willing to move up is columbus. They obviously need a goalie and so does nj. So if clb really likes a goalie it might be worth it for them to jump from 31 to 28 to pick ahead of nj

But like said others said it all depends on the other team really liking a guy in that spot

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
dccuse

If Edmonton decides they need a defenseman and are set on Murray, theirs a chance Yakupov could be available at #2. If columbus dint want to take the chance, we already know which of our guys theyre interested in. that'd be a huge win vs. getting Nash.

JT and our First and Thomas? something along those lines? thatd be a pretty big-time, long term, powermove.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:37 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wouldn't mind taking a goalie. A Russian goalie? No thanks. That's the last thing we need. A guy in the first round who doesn't want to play in the AHL getting offered a nice, fat KHL deal.

If he's there in the 2nd, sure. Go for it. At 28? **** no. I have zero problem taking a Russian. Not a Russian goalie, though.
That's what I was thinking. If we draft this guy he's gonna have to wait at least as long as Schneider to have a shot at our starting job assuming nothing drastic happens to Lundqvist. In that situation I'd skate home and play for big money too.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:55 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
If Edmonton decides they need a defenseman and are set on Murray, theirs a chance Yakupov could be available at #2. If columbus dint want to take the chance, we already know which of our guys theyre interested in. that'd be a huge win vs. getting Nash.

JT and our First and Thomas? something along those lines? thatd be a pretty big-time, long term, powermove.
gotta think that if edm doesn't want yakupov that they trade down...they can get a dman a few spots later and add some valuable pieces in the process

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Who goes first, Yakupov or Galchenyuk?

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Saw some Yakupov highlights on NHL Network...he looks like a clone of Stamkos out there. Only difference is handedness. He's got that release in his shot.

Button said Yakupov reminds him of Bure. I can see it, but Yakupov seems more finesse, although he does have fantastic speed.
I think Bure's speed was a bit exaggerated due to the fact that defenseman back then were more average skaters than the tremendous ones we see today. (Keith, McDonagh, Letang) You constantly saw slow skating d-man up until the lockout make the All-Star team. I think Yakupov is super fast too.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I think Bure's speed was a bit exaggerated due to the fact that defenseman back then were more average skaters than the tremendous ones we see today. (Keith, McDonagh, Letang) You constantly saw slow skating d-man up until the lockout make the All-Star team. I think Yakupov is super fast too.
It was a diff league at the time, but Bure could flat out fly in his hey-day... He had great speed with knee injuries, but before he got hurt he was tremendous. You could also make the argument that a more open game like we have today would accentuate him even more -after all - the game was changed in large part to allow skill guys to have MORE room. No two line passes and less clutching allows these types of guys more room to skate. Point being - He might appear even faster in today's game...

I know this is incredibly OT so I'm done ;-)

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:29 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
It was a diff league at the time, but Bure could flat out fly in his hey-day... He had great speed with knee injuries, but before he got hurt he was tremendous. You could also make the argument that a more open game like we have today would accentuate him even more -after all - the game was changed in large part to allow skill guys to have MORE room. No two line passes and less clutching allows these types of guys more room to skate. Point being - He might appear even faster in today's game...

I know this is incredibly OT so I'm done ;-)
Agreed 100%. Bure was just so much faster than everyone else out there. Factor in equipment (skates have evolved soooooooooo much in the last 10-15 yrs) and it is a no brainer.

Really, really special talent. Respect that ****.

06-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Bure was like... as much faster as everyone else as Usain Bolt is to all other OLYMPIC CALIBER sprinters... seriously

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Brian Leetch was an average skater?

Bure's speed was exaggerated?

Back then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlk1...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBlDU...e_gdata_player

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:01 AM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There's a point in any draft where you think 'well, it's a crapshoot--but now it's really a crapshoot'--pretty much happens when there are several candidates and not a lot of difference in which one you take. The Rangers 1st rounders the last several years have been in the teens and the drafts deep enough and players falling further than was thought. This is one of the reasons why I think if Vasilevskiy is still there at 28 you might hold on to it and take him--but if you don't think there's a ton of difference between several players dropping a few spots to pick up extra picks makes a lot of sense. The lateness of the pick and the fair probability that no one particular player will stand out at that point is why I think that this year has a chance of being different and we trade down.
I would agree; if there's no one that stands out at #28 move down a few spots, get a couple of extra picks. In the last few years, many teams have traded back up into the late first round to get a player they like, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that a team might have the same thought and go up and get someone before someone else does. Teams fall in love with a player and can't be certain they can get them where they are picking wherever they are at that point.

I believe I read an article by Mark Spector from www.sportsnet.ca the Edmonton GM Tambellini said they were keeping their first overall draft pick (who they take can be debated, if this is just a bargaining ploy that can be debated also); the place to move up to if you're able to would be to number 2 overall.

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Brian Leetch was an average skater?

Bure's speed was exaggerated?

Back then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlk1...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBlDU...e_gdata_player
Some pretty good hands and a good shot to go with that speed. He was awesome.

Ranger_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote