HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stewart re-signed, 1 yr/3M

Old
06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Look, if Stewart reaches 30 goals in this Blues system I'd love to eat that crow. I really would. I'm no different than anybody else having high expectations for the guy heading into this last year. Whatever helps the Blues win more games and be a stronger team I'm for. Him doubling his goal output would be awesome. Would love to see it. Have many doubts.

Stewart will never score 25 goals in Hitch's system. I knew early on he wouldn't hit 20. I called that way early. I will also go on a limb and say nobody will hit 30 next year. Perron will be close, but come up a few short at around 27 or 28. Mac, Oshie, Berglund, Backes, Steen and the Tank will all be in the 20's. That's seven 20 goal scorers, and Dags, Petro, Shatty and Stewart will be the teens.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 800
JR stated in his article that Stewarts cap hit was 3.25 but his actual salary last year was 2.85. So he is actually getting a small bump (150,000 is only small in pro sports) in pay.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBrathwaite View Post
Um…What?

If Stewart produces 30-35-65 points consistently, then I am not trading that. I would rather trade D'Agistini and Rattie over him. Plus, keep in mind that McDonald won't be on our team forever, and he is making 4.7M per year. Once he is gone, assuming we have a similar budget, we can still afford Stewart.

Plus, we'll have to see if we can get our LHD this offseason. If we get said LHD, then there is really no need to trade Stewart the following offseason.
Weren't you the one who said we can't afford anyone because of our limitations?

65 points will be out of Stewart's range this season. He still won't fit the system and with Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk needing big contracts we won't have that much room. I could realistically see those 2 making a combined 10-11 million, with Pietrangelo making nearly 7 million and Shattenkirk getting upwards of 4 million.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
JR stated in his article that Stewarts cap hit was 3.25 but his actual salary last year was 2.85. So he is actually getting a small bump (150,000 is only small in pro sports) in pay.
He must've edited it because when I checked just now it reads: "Stewart, 24, was wrapping up a two-year, $5.75 million contract that he signed with the Colorado Avalanche. The right winger made $3.25 million with the Blues in 2011-12, so it's a pay cut in actual money from last season, but it's a bump up from the average of his expiring contract ($2.875 million)."

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Stewart will never score 25 goals in Hitch's system. I knew early on he wouldn't hit 20. I called that way early. I will also go on a limb and say nobody will hit 30 next year. Perron will be close, but come up a few short at around 27 or 28. Mac, Oshie, Berglund, Backes, Steen and the Tank will all be in the 20's. That's seven 20 goal scorers, and Dags, Petro, Shatty and Stewart will be the teens.
Armstrong seems to think Stewart can. I'll go by what Armstrong believes.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into the signing. It was for minimum possible term and involved a pay cut which is somewhat unusual for an RFA tabbed for a scoring line role, especially one who was the focus of such a monster trade such a short while ago. The onus is clearly on Stewart to prove himself. It's not like Armstrong wasn't going to qualify Stewart and lose him for nothing. What comments is Armstrong supposed to give other than shows of confidence? Basically I wouldn't read anything into the fact they signed him to this kind of deal. If it had been a 3 year deal then that's a real vote of confidence.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post

Of coarse Armstrong is going to say that. For all we know he could be trying to move him. *gets down on my knees and begs*

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:30 AM
ChicagoBlues

I've got mixed feelings about this re-signing, but at least there will be plenty of competition with whom Stewart will have to battle. That has to be a good thing.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
He must've edited it because when I checked just now it reads: "Stewart, 24, was wrapping up a two-year, $5.75 million contract that he signed with the Colorado Avalanche. The right winger made $3.25 million with the Blues in 2011-12, so it's a pay cut in actual money from last season, but it's a bump up from the average of his expiring contract ($2.875 million)."
He must have had it backwards, just checked Capgeek, his salary was 3.25, cap hit of 2.85

Old
06-15-2012, 01:29 AM
h22prelude93

Per Strickland;

"Stewart is spending the summer training with former Maple Leafs strength coach Matt Nichol and has already hit the ground running. He said at the end of last season he expects to enter camp in the best shape of his career. Stewart is also working this summer with a skills coach and a nutritionist."

It sounds very plausible that Stewart may of had some serious conditioning problems heading into last season. Let's face it, it's not always easy adjusting to a new city(especially at such a young age). Perhaps last Summer he wasn't able to focus as much as he should have on his nutrition and fitness as he may have been a bit sidetracked with figuring out his living arrangements and making other major personal adjustments. Hockey is such a high intensity sport that if these guys aren't in the best shape possible at the beginning of training camp they can easily end up playing catch up for the remainder of the season. It makes even more sense when you look at the start he had. In the first 13 games(Under Payne)he had just 2 goals, 1assist, and a plus/minus of -4. To me, that shows that it may of been a lot more than just not fitting into Hitch's strict defensive system that caused him to struggle. That said, I really am excited to see what he can do with a fresh start and coming into camp in tip top shape. He also doesn't have the lofty media/fan expectations of last season hanging over his head which IMO could possibly help him to stay even more focused.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I've got mixed feelings about this re-signing, but at least there will be plenty of competition with whom Stewart will have to battle. That has to be a good thing.
Yeah i'm on the fence with this as well. At least it's a " prove it 1 year deal
Stewie " and Armstrong belives in Stewart.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Alklha

I'm actually happy he'll be back next season, and I think he is capable of a big improvement next season. Am I the only one that think this will be his last season in St. Louis, no matter how he performs?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:50 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Yeah i'm on the fence with this as well. At least it's a " prove it 1 year deal
Stewie " and Armstrong belives in Stewart.
Well...we all "talked" about a one-year "prove-it" deal. I guess this is it for Stewart. It may not be a make or break season for his career, as was suggested in a recent article (Armstrong iirc?), but certainly his career in St. Louis will end if he poorly performs.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'm actually happy he'll be back next season, and I think he is capable of a big improvement next season. Am I the only one that think this will be his last season in St. Louis, no matter how he performs?
I wouldn't be surprised that if Stewart starts off well next season, then he might get traded while his value is high. I don't know for what the trade would be because my crystal ball is not that clear.

Or another possibility, as another member here suggested (not sure who), Stewart could be traded at the draft or sometime during the summer.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
ZaphodBeeblebrox

A lot of people mention Tarasenko, but that's a lot of ifs.

There's no guarantee that Russian Jesus does come over, but even if he does there's really no guarantee that he'll play as well as Stewart. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see Tarasenko come over and be successful, but as these stories go, I'm not buying it until it happens.

I will say that considering his inconsistent nature, if I were a GM, I would seriously consider trading him the moment his value increases. Not saying that we don't need the goals, but this team forever needs to manage it's assets to remain financially viable.

The main point of what Armstrong said was that this is Stewart's year to prove himself, not just to our team but to the league. I think he can and will improve both his offensive and defensive game, whether or not it's enough for him to maintain his current salary with the Blues or any other NHL team is yet to be seen.

ZaphodBeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post

There's no guarantee that Russian Jesus does come over, but even if he does there's really no guarantee that he'll play as well as Stewart. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see Tarasenko come over and be successful, but as these stories go, I'm not buying it until it happens.

I will say that considering his inconsistent nature, if I were a GM, I would seriously consider trading him the moment his value increases. Not saying that we don't need the goals, but this team forever needs to manage it's assets to remain financially viable.

The main point of what Armstrong said was that this is Stewart's year to prove himself, not just to our team but to the league. I think he can and will improve both his offensive and defensive game, whether or not it's enough for him to maintain his current salary with the Blues or any other NHL team is yet to be seen.
So you're saying that things in life aren't certain? Yeah.....I'm pretty sure we're all familiar with that concept. What exactly do you want from Tarasenko other than a commitment to come to NA which he's already given? Care to explain the inconsistent nature comment?

I hear too much unwarranted fear and uncertainty in your post so I'll just guarantee Tarasenko will outperform Stewart. There. All better now?

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post

There's no guarantee that Russian Jesus does come over, but even if he does there's really no guarantee that he'll play as well as Stewart. Don't get me wrong, I really want to see Tarasenko come over and be successful, but as these stories go, I'm not buying it until it happens

You do realize that Tank has already agreed in principle to play in the NHL, he hasn't signed his ELC yet because a clause in the CBA stipulates that you cannot sign rookies between June 1st-July1st. He WILL be coming over and as long as he stays healthy, he will outproduce Stewarts numbers from last year, and very well may out produce him this year.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
ZaphodBeeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
You do realize that Tank has already agreed in principle to play in the NHL, he hasn't signed his ELC yet because a clause in the CBA stipulates that you cannot sign rookies between June 1st-July1st. He WILL be coming over and as long as he stays healthy, he will outproduce Stewarts numbers from last year, and very well may out produce him this year.
Sounds great

ZaphodBeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:08 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

I would say this is what is...Stewart's value is so low they were able to agree on amount that was a little lower than expected, so I would say that would make his trade value pretty low at this time.

But I do think we have a player that has some issue with the commitment it takes to be a pro, or we wouldn't be having these conversations about coming to camp this year in the best shape yet. I hope he rebounds, but I would be very leery of a long term big dollar deal because of the risk. I'd be looking for the right deal after his value begins to rise.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Our system requires forwards to backcheck and play with discipline. Our offensive system is also based around the cycle. Neither of those are apart of Stewart's game. Stewart is not a fit in this system.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 06-15-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Lets not generalize about new guys
bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Our system requires forwards to backcheck and play with discipline. Our offensive system is also based around the cycle. Neither of those are apart of Stewart's game. Stewart is not a fit in this system.
What makes you think Stewart cannot learn how to be in shape to consistently backcheck, he rarely takes bad penalties so im not even going there. Offensively we set up a forcheck and should be looking for shots. Our team didnt necessarily shoot the puck enough all the time/create enough quality opportunities and we are suppose to have someone screening the goalie when were shooting.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 06-15-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Lets keep the discussion on topic
Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:06 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
What is with these new guys. Our system requires forwards to backcheck and play with discipline. Our offensive system is also based around the cycle. Neither of those are apart of Stewart's game. Stewart is not a fit in this system.
From everything I have read from Armstrong and Hitchcock they seem to think Stewart can be a fit in this system. You have to remember Brett Hull fit into Hitchcock's system. Hull had a 39 goal 79 point season with Hitchcock. Modano fit in Hitchcock's system as well and had 80 point seasons.

Do you honestly think if Hitchcock thought Stewart was not a fit he would still be with the team. As we saw after Hitchcock became out coach the Russel deal. It shows Hitchcock has a lot of input on Armstrong's decisions. Stewart could have been traded mid season when his value was not as low as it is today. All signs point to Hitchcock thinking Stewart can play in his system and play well at that.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 06-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:09 PM
pricer502

Quote:
What is with these new guys. Our system requires forwards to backcheck and play with discipline. Our offensive system is also based around the cycle. Neither of those are apart of Stewart's game. Stewart is not a fit in this system.
I also agree that the style Stewart played with last year doesn't fit our system. But it has to be taken into consideration that we had a coaching/system change early in the season and he just never adapted. I believe Stewart can adapt his style to be very effective in Hitch's system. Its not like he doesn't have the skills/ability to do so. With an offseason of training, focus, and film study I think he bounces back big time next year.

pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Stewart still looked lost out there at the end of the year. He was putting in the effort, but there is a mental part to playing Hitch's system that Stewart didn't evidence much growth with.

I think he CAN be a contributor for the Blues, with Hitchcock. But there is a lot of hand-waving going on with the speculation that an off-season regimen is going to solve the issue. Remember, he was on a contract season last year, too, and that wasn't enough to "motivate" Stewart sufficiently (if fitness really WAS a big factor).

Personally, I think Stewart will rebound with a 25 goal campaign, just enough to show clear improvement, but nowhere near the 40 goal threat we dreamed of. To be honest, if he can keep the cycle going and his line can be effective, I don't care all that much what Stewart's individual numbers are. Too many times last year the puck would come out of the zone as soon as it went to Stewart. He'd lose a board battle, or make a bad pass, etc. I want to see a guy that knows where he's supposed to go on the ice to make a play, and knows how to use his teammates. Show me that consistently, and a 20 goal season will be enough for me (and it will probably mean he's on the 2nd/3rd line).

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Stewart still looked lost out there at the end of the year. He was putting in the effort, but there is a mental part to playing Hitch's system that Stewart didn't evidence much growth with.

I think he CAN be a contributor for the Blues, with Hitchcock. But there is a lot of hand-waving going on with the speculation that an off-season regimen is going to solve the issue. Remember, he was on a contract season last year, too, and that wasn't enough to "motivate" Stewart sufficiently (if fitness really WAS a big factor).

Personally, I think Stewart will rebound with a 25 goal campaign, just enough to show clear improvement, but nowhere near the 40 goal threat we dreamed of. To be honest, if he can keep the cycle going and his line can be effective, I don't care all that much what Stewart's individual numbers are. Too many times last year the puck would come out of the zone as soon as it went to Stewart. He'd lose a board battle, or make a bad pass, etc. I want to see a guy that knows where he's supposed to go on the ice to make a play, and knows how to use his teammates. Show me that consistently, and a 20 goal season will be enough for me (and it will probably mean he's on the 2nd/3rd line).
I think you nailed the analysis of Stewart. He has the ability to rebound, but was conditioning the real issue? I think it will help keep his engine moving along at a greater rate and it can help him win more puck battles, but my biggest concern is his desire to mentally propel himself on the ice. I think Stewart's internal drive and his hockey sense are the biggest hurdles. This really is a guy who relies almost purely on skill and has throughout his career. With his sabbatical from hockey, he missed a great deal of learning and at a critical time. That knowledge of the game he now has to acquire in the toughest league in the world. Can he do it? Sure, but it will probably take time if he makes those strides.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote