HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk Part 17 : Dream Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I can't wait to see this board explode when montreal makes their pick..

Old
06-15-2012, 07:37 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Only thing I take out of this, is that girl is cute and I want to get to know her.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Player A understands that physical maturity, dedication in the gym and a strong work ethic breeds the best players.
Player B coasts by on talent alone and does not make it a committment to getting stronger or better in the off-season.

I am more comfortable taking the talented guy with a high work ethic and dedication to being the best player he can be.
Player A, also didn't play hockey all year so he had a ton of time to get into good shape while rehabbing his leg.

Player B just moved to North America from his home country and likely spent his spare time adapting to a different life style, learned a new language etc., while winning rookie of the year and playing in a long season through injures and mono.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Player A understands that physical maturity, dedication in the gym and a strong work ethic breeds the best players.
Player B coasts by on talent alone and does not make it a committment to getting stronger or better in the off-season.

I am more comfortable taking the talented guy with a high work ethic and dedication to being the best player he can be.
Here's the problem I have with what the bolded: we're talking about 18 year olds! Some get into the program before they get drafted, others need a bit of guidance by an NHL team in this regard. Some bodies also mature faster than others, and it is indeed something that is tested at the combine (although I am not sure if they release the results of this test to the public). Gare Joyce, who went through the whole process for his book, mentioned that dedication to the gym was not something that determined anything draftwise: it was simply a test to determine a player's physical progress and how to proceed from there should the teams draft him. Things like what you put in the bolded are determined outside of the physical testing.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Player A, also didn't play hockey all year so he had a ton of time to get into good shape while rehabbing his leg.

Player B just moved to North America from his home country and likely spent his spare time adapting to a different life style, learned a new language etc., while winning rookie of the year and playing in a long season through injures and mono.
It takes a whole lot longer than a couple months to sculpt ones body from nothing. Galchenyuk has been working out for a lot longer than this lay-off. His legs are absolutely built which is a really good sign since he likely wasnt able to work out his legs much at all for the majority of his lay off because his knee was healing.

They have gyms in Russia. Any top prospect who wants to make a career in the NHL who has a dedicated mind-set and an excellent work ethic would've hit the gym at 13, 14 or at the very latest 15 years old. Grigorenko doesnt know what a weight is. He looks like me before I hit the gym and I was basically a skeleton.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:42 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Here's the problem I have with what the bolded: we're talking about 18 year olds! Some get into the program before they get drafted, others need a bit of guidance by an NHL team in this regard. Some bodies also mature faster than others, and it is indeed something that is tested at the combine (although I am not sure if they release the results of this test to the public). Gare Joyce, who went through the whole process for his book, mentioned that dedication to the gym was not something that determined anything draftwise: it was simply a test to determine a player's physical progress and how to proceed from there should the teams draft him. Things like what you put in the bolded are determined outside of the physical testing.
It shows to me a work ethic. He spent time in the gym instead of out partying or getting into trouble like kids can. He was at the rink as much as he could be once his knee was better to continue to hone his skills. I take that into heavy consideration. Working out in the gym isn't fun. Practicing isnt a whole lot of fun. There are a million things that a young kid thinks is better to do. But he still kept on the program because he is hungry to be the best player he can be. Grigorenko seems to be more interested in wearing a Canada polo than hitting the weights. It shows on the ice as well.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM
RE-HABS

Hoping for the following:

Galchenyuk or Forsberg with the 1st.
(Maybe a surprise deal to get another player in the 1st)

2 of the following in the 2nd; Nieves, Matteau or Samuelsson.

In the 3rd; Bozon or a goaltender.

4th; Mitch Moroz. Size and toughness. (He is the son of a family friend too).

After that?

Old
06-15-2012, 07:45 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
It takes a whole lot longer than a couple months to sculpt ones body from nothing. Galchenyuk has been working out for a lot longer than this lay-off. His legs are absolutely built which is a really good sign since he likely wasnt able to work out his legs much at all for the majority of his lay off because his knee was healing.

They have gyms in Russia. Any top prospect who wants to make a career in the NHL who has a dedicated mind-set and an excellent work ethic would've hit the gym at 13, 14 or at the very latest 15 years old. Grigorenko doesnt know what a weight is. He looks like me before I hit the gym and I was basically a skeleton.
I love how this is even being debated, because it ultimately has little to no impact on how teams actually think when they're drafting.

On a side note, Galchenyuk surely benefitted from both the Gary Roberts program during the last off-season and having a father who played professional hockey. I am not surprised in the least that he's built like a tank. If he wasn't, then I think teams would actually be concerned.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:

.. I could say the same about Leblanc.

So you know for sure that Grigorenko will make zero commitment to training in the off season. Who cares is he is not as ripped as Galchenyuk. Gally is a gym rat.. but to say that Grigorenko isn't motivated and is going to float on talent alone just because he isn't weight training is retarded.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:49 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
.. I could say the same about Leblanc.

So you know for sure that Grigorenko will make zero commitment to training in the off season. Who cares is he is not as ripped as Galchenyuk. Gally is a gym rat.. but to say that Grigorenko isn't motivated and is going to float on talent alone just because he isn't weight training is retarded.
Do say the same thing about Leblanc. Guy needs to hit the gym in a bad way. He also needs to spend his entire summer thats not in the gym shooting weighted pucks because his shot really needs some work.

I don't need to see Grigorenkos lack of gym commitment to know he isnt going to be a physical guy on the ice. I already saw it with my own two eyes. I know hes got a lot of talent and he will be a point producer in the NHL. But I see one guy in Gally who does all the right things, has the right personality to succeed in this market, and has a ton of skill. I see a guy who has world class vision, all the hockey skills, but doesnt have the will or determination to take the next step, outside of the rink and inside of the rink.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:51 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
I dreamt I was a Velociraptor
Yeah I had that one when I was younger now I dream about being a delociraptor.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:52 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
It shows to me a work ethic. He spent time in the gym instead of out partying or getting into trouble like kids can. He was at the rink as much as he could be once his knee was better to continue to hone his skills. I take that into heavy consideration. Working out in the gym isn't fun. Practicing isnt a whole lot of fun. There are a million things that a young kid thinks is better to do. But he still kept on the program because he is hungry to be the best player he can be. Grigorenko seems to be more interested in wearing a Canada polo than hitting the weights. It shows on the ice as well.
I hear what you're saying, but at the same time you're completely ignoring my point. If Galchenyuk gets drafted by Montreal, it will be because of his interviews and his skill, not his physical fitness. It's as simple as that, and it is not simply my opinion coming out of nowhere.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but at the same time you're completely ignoring my point. If Galchenyuk gets drafted by Montreal, it will be because of his interviews and his skill, not his physical fitness. It's as simple as that, and it is not simply my opinion coming out of nowhere.
No, of course not. I am saying that it gives him a decided edge over another prospect of high end skill.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
I love how this is even being debated, because it ultimately has little to no impact on how teams actually think when they're drafting.

On a side note, Galchenyuk surely benefitted from both the Gary Roberts program during the last off-season and having a father who played professional hockey. I am not surprised in the least that he's built like a tank. If he wasn't, then I think teams would actually be concerned.
What? Having a father who played professional hockey doesn't necessarily equal to being built like a tank at 18 years old of age.

Jarred Tinordi was not very big when he got drafted 2 years ago. Neither was Sam Gagner back in 2007 and It doesn't seem to be the case of Griffin Reinhart who has still to fill up his 6'4 frame.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:05 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan87 View Post
What? Having a father who played professional hockey doesn't necessarily equal to being built like a tank at 18 years old of age.

Jarred Tinordi was not very big when he got drafted 2 years ago. Neither was Sam Gagner back in 2007 and It doesn't seem to be the case of Griffin Reinhart who has still to fill up his 6'4 frame.
All I'm suggesting is that perhaps his father, having played hockey, helped keep him on track. I would not be surprised if he was asked about this during interviews. Either way, it was a little note, could be relevant or not, could've worded that part better. The Roberts program undoubtably helped him, though.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Hoping for the following:

Galchenyuk or Forsberg with the 1st.
(Maybe a surprise deal to get another player in the 1st)

2 of the following in the 2nd; Nieves, Matteau or Samuelsson.

In the 3rd; Bozon or a goaltender.

4th; Mitch Moroz. Size and toughness. (He is the son of a family friend too).

After that?
Sutter would also be a nice pick-up with the second 2nd round pick.

I want Lindell with the 3rd rounder, depending on if certain players are not available.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Gaston Gingras

see my avatar... this is my guy|||

Old
06-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Tom Pyatt?

Old
06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
You should change his helmet colour too

Ever since I watched the Hlinka Tourney, I've really wanted Kerdiles. Hoping we can snag him @ 33rd. Galch for 3rd. Bozon, Severson would be sick for NSH's 2nd.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:28 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
I could get used to seeing that

Old
06-15-2012, 08:40 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Only thing I take out of this, is that girl is cute and I want to get to know her.
On the page it says "host: Danielle Emanuele". It was hard to listen to the analyst had to say once I saw her.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
That guy lost all credibility when he said "if it weren't for the Quebec connection, I'd probably have Grigorenko a bit lower".

I really don't see this being a factor in the Habs decision. At least I hope it isn't.

Last edited by Guilliam: 06-15-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan87 View Post

You should look back at these statement. Tinordi totally destroyed the combine three years ago. And reinhart is a complete monster.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:28 PM
FF de Mars

Grigorenko ! With proper guidance from Lapointe, he could blossom big time.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Galchenyuk94

Seems to me that if I were a GM I would project a player who barely trains with good on-ice production as having a higher ceiling than someone with good on-ice production who's been lifting since their early teens.

That question has probably been asked loads of times, i'm wondering if anyone of importance, say a GM or amateur scout, has ever went on record to address it.

Timmins likes to project, I think he is keeping quiet about Grigorenko and hinting towards Galchenyuk and Forsberg to throw off the competition.

That being said, either one of Yakupov, Grigs, Gally, Forsberg or Teravainen and I'm happy.

Closed Thread