HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 11:05 PM
kthsn

vCash: 500
So Vancouver fans who advocate keeping Luongo aren't allowed to?

Oh no Schneider will only start 50 games next.
Oh no Luongo will be upset, but not enough to waive his NTC?

Vancouver has more than enough cap space to go into next season with 2 elite goaltenders.

It's in Gillis' best interest to deal one to improve the team - not for scraps or a cap dump.

If the return doesn't improve the team we'll keep him.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:12 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And doesn't that organization have more class than to keep him when it has become known that he asked to be traded? Are they really that scummy that they would subject him to the abuse the fans would surely heap on him?
Yes the organization should lose a valuable asset because otherwise Luongo will have to face the abuse from our fans.

We should trade him to one of the largest fanbases known to turn on it's players. We should send him to a city with the most media scrutiny. Gillis should forget about value and just send him from a cup contending team to a lottery team that's been rebuilding since he was a Panther.

Quote:
Oh get over yourself. He is far more connected than you will ever be and MacLean, as a former GM, is most definitely connected.
Gillis went on radio today stating there was numerous inquiries.

But of course our GM is either lying or has less connections than the Canucks play by play guy.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

Vancouver has more than enough cap space to go into next season with 2 elite goaltenders.

It's in Gillis' best interest to deal one to improve the team - not for scraps or a cap dump.

People don't seem to see this. Gillis is in no way forced to move Luongo. He may have a reason to, but he's not trapped in a corner. Some Canucks fans demand the world for him, but he will never get that. Some Leafs fans think he'll only get useless cap dumps, but Gillis won't bite. It's very possible nothing will happen since Gillis isn't pressured and Burke's a stubborn guy.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
And they still won't win the Stanley Cup. But at least that will give their fans another excuse to riot.
Reported.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:16 PM
HockeyRX

Quote:
And they still won't win the Stanley Cup. But at least that will give their fans another excuse to riot.
well aren't you mature. this forum should have a minimum age of over 7 years. PT's > lottery picks every year + $300 ticket to watch an embarrassment each night.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

It's not as easy as "We'll just keep him." Of coarse they would love to keep him but Loungo isn't going to ride the pine which is why he came out and said he is willing to waive his NTC. He asked for a trade whether or not anyone in that organization will admit it.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
People don't seem to see this. Gillis is in no way forced to move Luongo. He may have a reason to, but he's not trapped in a corner. Some Canucks fans demand the world for him, but he will never get that. Some Leafs fans think he'll only get useless cap dumps, but Gillis won't bite. It's very possible nothing will happen since Gillis isn't pressured and Burke's a stubborn guy.
I agree fully with this post.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:19 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
It's not as easy as "We'll just keep him." Of coarse they would love to keep him but Loungo isn't going to ride the pine which is why he came out and said he is willing to waive his NTC. He asked for a trade whether or not anyone in that organization will admit it.
If the Canucks keep Luongo is pretty obvious Schneider will be moved at some point. Why do this? Because he will fetch a better return that will allow the team to win now.

I'm sorry, but GMMG has options. It is true, moving Luongo for a decent return may be difficult, but moving Schneider would generate a mini-sweepstakes whereby GMMG would receive a lot of value.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:21 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Luongo has been nothing but a professional in his career, if Gillis cannot find value for him we will hold on to him.

If Luongo is truely unhappy he can waive his NTC and increase his list of suitors.

He signed a long term contract and he made a commitment to the team, if that means he has to wait until the trade deadline to be dealt I think he will deal with it just fine.

*Rumor* Luongo apparently has a handful of teams he has agreed to waive for but if Gillis cannot reach an agreement, Luongo has 10 more destinations he would waive for.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRX View Post
well aren't you mature. this forum should have a minimum age of over 7 years. PT's > lottery picks every year + $300 ticket to watch an embarrassment each night.
...and calling another team an overpriced embarassment is a shining example of maturity

Old
06-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
...and calling another team an overpriced embarassment is a shining example of maturity
It's not really an embarassment if it's true.

The team is overpriced, and has failed to make the playoffs in 8 years.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 06-15-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
If the Canucks keep Luongo is pretty obvious Schneider will be moved at some point. Why do this? Because he will fetch a better return that will allow the team to win now.

I'm sorry, but GMMG has options. It is true, moving Luongo for a decent return may be difficult, but moving Schneider would generate a mini-sweepstakes whereby GMMG would receive a lot of value.
I would assume Gillis is somewhat regretting the deal he gave Luongo. I would also prefer to keep a younger guy who may prove to be as good, if not better than an older guy with 10 years left. The fact is, as much as it may be reported, I don't think the market for a goalie of his caliber is as barren as some people believe it is. Now you make a good point that Schneider could bring in a king's ransom, but that all depends on whether Gillis thinks the return is enough to wager 10 years of a guy who hasn't exactly succeeded in a way they wished for.

Off topic, is your avatar a CK reference? If so, that's ****ing awesome.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:55 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
I would assume Gillis is somewhat regretting the deal he gave Luongo. I would also prefer to keep a younger guy who may prove to be as good, if not better than an older guy with 10 years left. The fact is, as much as it may be reported, I don't think the market for a goalie of his caliber is as barren as some people believe it is. Now you make a good point that Schneider could bring in a king's ransom, but that all depends on whether Gillis thinks the return is enough to wager 10 years of a guy who hasn't exactly succeeded in a way they wished for.

Off topic, is your avatar a CK reference? If so, that's ****ing awesome.
Haha it sure is

Old
06-15-2012, 11:57 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Meh fair enough, we both got our shots in, let's call it a draw and move on.

Goaltenders are slowly finding new teams, would Leaf fans honestly be happy if Burke stood pat and you had to endure another season of Monster/Scrivens/Reimer?
Yes. Both are very promising young goalies.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Meh fair enough, we both got our shots in, let's call it a draw and move on.

Goaltenders are slowly finding new teams, would Leaf fans honestly be happy if Burke stood pat and you had to endure another season of Monster/Scrivens/Reimer?
I would prefer our GM makes moves that make sense for our team in the short and long term.
If there is a deal for Luongo that makes sense I am for it, if he is going to cost us extremely important pieces like Gardiner or the 5th I would prefer we look elsewhere.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Keep it on topic, guys.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-16-2012, 12:47 AM
feeel10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Goalies take forever to develop; high rated goalie prospects aren't like high rated forward prospects. They can't just step into the NHL the next year and produce, so that's not really going to help our situation. Komisarek and a late pick for Luongo is a joke; Leafs fans need to realize he's a top 10 goalie in the league, only 33, that his cap hit is manageable, and he is NOT a cap dump. The sooner we can all accept that, the better. James Reimer has put up better numbers in more games played than Bernier, so I fail to see how that's much of an upgrade.
LOL theres some kind of generalization we got here. Some guy who likes the leafs, post his OPINION on Luongo's value the, every leafs fan is delusionnal. I quoted your post but im not referring only to yours, its always been like that with big fan base like leafs nation. habs or canucks fanbase. anyway, bit off topic here. I think Burke wish he could start the season with reimer and scrivens in net but wont do it cause if they fail, he'll get crucified. But personnaly, I would ok with those two guys.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:29 AM
HiddenInLight

Personally I think that if the leafs should just offersheet Rask from boston. It would solve their goaltending problem and/or put a division rivel in a tough spot.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Its not just playing your cards close to the vest, its against league rules to express an interest in players under contract to another origination.
Exactly. I guess Canuck fans, or Vorkosh in particular, forget about that little tampering charge Gillis laid on Burke.

Jesus. Do people really think he would actually come right out and say who he is going after?

Old
06-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:

Gillis went on radio today stating there was numerous inquiries.

But of course our GM is either lying or has less connections than the Canucks play by play guy.
Wow, you giuys are drinking the Kool Aid.

What is he going to say?

"Yeah, Tampa acquiring Lindback puts us in a tough spot. There were only a couple of teams expressing interest in Bobby Lu, and now one of them is no longer in the game. We are really about to take it up the ***."

NUmerous inquiries could be two. Hey, it could be ten, too, but if Lu has no interest in going there, it deosn't matter, does it?

Old
06-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Reported.
What are you, six?

Old
06-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Personally I think that if the leafs should just offersheet Rask from boston. It would solve their goaltending problem and/or put a division rivel in a tough spot.
is Burke not against offer sheets? Penner and Edmonton ?...................Leafs are in big doo doo...........Luongo for what though? Try and dump Komisarek on them due to the cap implications, I guess Reimer to back up in Vancouver...........after that they have to give value so Gunnarson and Kadri plus picks I would guess

Old
06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Speculation is a deal around Rick Nash, or the 2nd overall pick. Either asset addresses a Canuck need, something I don't see coming from the Leafs without Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner or the 5 overall pick being involved.
hmmm Luongo, Raymond plus a bunch for Nash and Mason is interesting

Old
06-16-2012, 09:11 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
What are you, six?
If that's a serious question, the answer is no. If there's another point to this post then save your physical energy next time and don't bother posting it. Cheers.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:13 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Wow, you giuys are drinking the Kool Aid.

What is he going to say?

"Yeah, Tampa acquiring Lindback puts us in a tough spot. There were only a couple of teams expressing interest in Bobby Lu, and now one of them is no longer in the game. We are really about to take it up the ***."

NUmerous inquiries could be two. Hey, it could be ten, too, but if Lu has no interest in going there, it deosn't matter, does it?
So when Burke goes on record it's okay to quote him, but when GMMG does it's drinking the kool-aid. More Leaf logic, got it.

Closed Thread