HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Find this team a top pairing LD

Old
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Would you guys trade Duchene for the #2 overall pick and take Ryan Murray?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:39 PM
foppagirl21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I personally wouldn't. If the team was to trade Duchene, I would be expecting a player who can come in and make an immediate impact on the team- a proven NHLer.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
I personally wouldn't. If the team was to trade Duchene, I would be expecting a player who can come in and make an immediate impact on the team- a proven NHLer.
For an unproven guy like Duchene? Won't happen unless there's a need to move said player.

Murray skated in the WC already and is the most NHL-ready player in next year's draft.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:43 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
For an unproven guy like Duchene? Won't happen unless there's a need to move said player.

Murray skated in the WC already and is the most NHL-ready player in next year's draft.
Meh, I still wouldn't do it. Duchene is more "proven" than Murray anyhow. NHL ASG and whatnot. Another thing- Duchene's value is potentially at its lowest right now. EDIT: when I say "proven NHLer," I mean someone who has actually played a game in the NHL. I am not meaning someone like Weber.

I really just am not a fan of trading Duchene. It could really come back and bite the Avs in the rear. Maybe someone who is a big less subjective could chime in.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Nope.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Aren't there rumors the Oilers will take him at #1?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:

Duchene is more NHL-proven than Murray is....

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:14 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Duchene is more NHL-proven than Murray is....
Thank you. My point exactly. Trading Duchene for a pick would be a step backwards for the Avalanche.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Certainly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
If they do, I will laugh at them. Ryan Murray is set to be a solid NHL defenceman but personally, I don't see him being a 'franchise defenceman" he may not even end up being a top pairing guy when it's all said and done.

They will take Yakupov...this is all just a bunch of posturing right now.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Certainly not.

If they do, I will laugh at them. Ryan Murray is set to be a solid NHL defenceman but personally, I don't see him being a 'franchise defenceman" he may not even end up being a top pairing guy when it's all said and done.

Imagine their fans if they pick Murray after the way they've hyped up Yakupov.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen* View Post
No, but for Zach Bogosian on the other hand?

Colorado has some young defensemen coming up, but none of them are sure things. Other than Erik Johnson, Colorado's blue line is riddled with gap stops.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:10 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
No, but for Zach Bogosian on the other hand?
You can have my babies.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:39 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Mike G. Morreales nhl mock draft picking Murray 1st

SlyAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
No, much too risky. We already made our big trade for D and have used a lot of early picks on big D prospects.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Certainly not.

They should pick Yakupov and move Hall to acquire a Dman. No use having so much talent and future cap space locked up on the wing. Hall isn't built to survive a full season playing his style

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:51 AM
CobraAcesS

All this debate about Elliott...

I don't think management expects him to turn into a 1st pairing guy. I read somewhere a while back that our player development people believe Siemens - Elliott will be our second pairing for the future. So that is what is expected of them in 2-3 years. Elliott will probably get as much experience as they can give him before Siemens is ready.

Who knows though.. Those two could end up together this year in camp and impress the hell out of the coaching staff. They really do have a special kind of chemistry because their games complement each other so well.

Together as a pairing they basically give you everything you want.

Siemens : Mean/physical, big shot, strongest from the neutral zone back, good at moving the puck and competent in the offensive zone.

Elliott : He gets pucks to the net with his wrister, speed, can move the puck anywhere and is very good in the offensive zone while being ok in the D-Zone.

They are both strong in the areas the other one is just ok at but neither of them are bad defensively or offensively. Watching both of these guys mature over the next few years is going to be awesome. Neither of them will be traded and they will be given every opportunity to succeed together IMO.

As far as finding EJ a partner.. I am really not ok with wasting EJ's years away next to a pure offensive guy like Carle. And Carle is NOT worth 5M per and that is from the horses mouth. (Just about every philly fan Ive ever seen post about him.)

I think if Suter cannot be picked up we need to trade for a defender. Yandle or Enstrom are my favorite options outside of signing Suter. Each guy could be pried away for different reasons with different players in trade.

Yes trading Duchene might hurt but what good is it going to do if we don't sign or trade for someone competent enough to play with him? Hejduk, really? Is everyone just itching to watch Duchene run around the Ice trying to create offense by himself again?

What excuse did Hejduk have last year? Injuries? No.. Age? Yes.. What exactly makes everyone think that Hejduk will be effective in a top 6 role at all next year? Can you really call half a season or more just being snake bitten?

Mueller? I have a lot of hope for Mueller but he is slightly less of a question mark than Hejduk is. What if both of them fail? Then it's to late and we all get to watch Duchene languish for another season completely destroying his value.

We either need to...

Not lie to our selves and attempt to think that Hejduk AND Mueller are the answer for Duchene next season. We need so sign a winger at least as good as AK46 or better. (A top 6 guy not some plug) If we sign another winger then they can either play on his wing or McGinn or Landeskog can play on his wing depending on who it is.

Or we need to trade him while his value is still fairly high. Fans are like the wind but anyone with half a brain can look at his season with objectivity and see that his talent didn't just up and walk away.

I just think it's beyond retarded to cross your fingers and hope that BOTH Mueller and Hejduk will have a resurgence next year..

Legit top 6/9 players that we have and can count on?

Stastny
Duchene
O'Reilly
Landeskog
McGinn
Jones
Downie

Add one question mark in Mueller and a UFA make that 9. Two question marks could leave Duchene playing by himself again third on the depth chart because he has to go up against Landeskog & O'Reilly by himself or against McGinn - Stastny - Jones BY HIMSELF.

Good god.. if people think this roster is ok the way it is up front we might as well just trade him and actually create a third line.. At least then we would get a D partner for EJ or an upgrade in the top 6 to really complete Landeskog & O'Reilly's line.

People slotting Hejduk and Olver into the top 9 on a team attempting to create three scoring lines are living in the clouds. Go sky dive if you want to take risks like that.. I would rather watch us make the playoffs.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 06-16-2012 at 03:56 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Hans Landaskog

If we don't get Suter in free agency, then I would consider just giving Gaunce a shot to play with EJ. Hell even Wilson looked pretty good before that boarding injury.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
If we don't get Suter in free agency, then I would consider just giving Gaunce a shot to play with EJ. Hell even Wilson looked pretty good before that boarding injury.
I'm one of Gaunce's biggest fans on this site, Think he's one of our top 3 prospects, and while he's ready for the NHL, he's not ready to play with EJ on the top pairing. He needs to start off on a more manageable pairing, say with O'Byrne. There he can adjust to the NHL level before being bumped up to play with EJ later in the season, once he's got most of his rookie mistakes out of the way.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:01 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
Of all the LHDs in the Avs system Gaunce has the skill set and temperament most suited to playing alongside EJ. He was LEM's top dman last season, but has precious little NHL experience. Could Gaunce handle the role? Could EJ step-up as a mentor to Gaunce? That's a heck of a "building from within" experiment to try, especially when Suter needs a player like EJ as his partner to be the top flight player he is.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Gaunce is ready for the NHL but not for a top pairing role, and won't be this year unless we decide to force it and put him in a position to fail. He will start out on the bottom pairing.

Cobra, in 2-3 years Siemens will be cracking the team on the bottom pairing, he will not be our second pairing shutdown mainstay, at least not if this team wants to have any actual playoff success. Youth movement in the forward group makes sense to a degree but young defensemen need to be brought a long slowly and deliberately. Duncan has this last year with the Blades then I imagine he'll play a 1.5-2 seasons up and down with the Monsters. He won't be one of the main horses on the blueline until a little while after that and that's ok.

Trading Duchene is a foolish idea unless the Avs have the opportunity to replace him with another elite offensive player through some other means. Sure the Nords could trade Lindros and Sundin because they had Sakic and Forsberg but this squad doesn't have that luxury. Staz and O'reilly aren't leading any teams to cups by themselves. Better hope he can turn things around.

We need someone much better to play with EJ than Wilson or Gaunce unless we feel like hampering EJ's development further.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
As a third-party observer, I think the Avs would/should do that.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:26 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
As a third-party observer, I think the Avs would/should do that.
Really? I'd think an LA fan would appreciate the value of great depth at Center, especially on a team that has their franchise dman playing on a pairing without an elite partner.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthesis View Post
I disagree that defense is where our biggest hole is. Ya our defense was nothing special last season, but we still had the 12th fewest goals against in the league. Which is also partly due to our goaltending, not just the defense. But we were ranked 23rd in the league in goals for. Scoring was by far our biggest hole last season.
Yes, but we were also missing puckmoving defenseman. We could have used Liles last year, but someone decided to trade him.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Jay Bouwmeester plays LD, and we'd probably even throw in Mikael Backlund to give you a #3 center back.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
Jay Bouwmeester plays LD, and we'd probably even throw in Mikael Backlund to give you a #3 center back.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression the Avs were trying to make the playoffs.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote