HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

(CHI) Hjalmarsson for Smith (OTT)

Old
06-16-2012, 08:56 AM
benjiv1

vCash: 500
(CHI) Hjalmarsson for Smith (OTT)

Source:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...Time/128/44979

I'm an Ottawa fan, so I have no idea if this guy is legit, but what does Ottawa have to add?

Ott:
Hjalmarsson
48th Overall Pick (2012)

Chi:
Smith
Puempel
82nd Overall Pick (2012)

Too much? Too Little?

Last edited by benjiv1: 06-16-2012 at 09:03 AM.
benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
dorffxmosh

I don't think Chicago would do this, I don't know if Drew Olson is ready to jump into the Chicago lineup.

dorffxmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:27 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Sens are giving up a little too much for Hjalmarsson IMO.

In principle, I really like the trade. Zibanejad's coming in, and Ottawa has too many centres. O'Brien has proven his worth in the 4th-line PK role, making Smith's job expendable. Ottawa needs a stable, defensive presence on the blueline and Hjalmarsson fills that role.

I don't like Hjalmarsson's salary ($3.5-million seems a little steep for the minutes he plays) and Puempel going the other way is far too hefty a price tag for this guy. I question why Chicago even needs Puempel: they have so many good scoring wingers in the pipelines already.

Switch up the prospect that's going Chicago's way and it's a done deal in my mind.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post

In principle, I really like the trade. Zibanejad's coming in, and Ottawa has too many centres. O'Brien has proven his worth in the 4th-line PK role, making Smith's job expendable. Ottawa needs a stable, defensive presence on the blueline and Hjalmarsson fills that role.

I don't like Hjalmarsson's salary ($3.5-million seems a little steep for the minutes he plays) and Puempel going the other way is far too hefty a price tag for this guy. I question why Chicago even needs Puempel: they have so many good scoring wingers in the pipelines already.

Switch up the prospect that's going Chicago's way and it's a done deal in my mind.
From the games I've watched, Smith is far superior to O'Brien and that doesn't make Smith expendable.

Smith and a pick for Hjalmarsson would be fair imo.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Don't see Chi doing this.

But I can see Hammer being traded, just not for this package.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:36 AM
joe89

Quote:

IF Ottawa wanted him, I doubt they'd worry much about the cap hit. It's only two years and Ottawa's in cap heaven. A similar player in free agency would cost them the same probably, aswell.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:37 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
From the games I've watched, Smith is far superior to O'Brien and that doesn't make Smith expendable.

While Smith>JOB, O'Brien can quite easily fill in for Smith. If Regin is healthy this year, it would likely push Smith down to the fourth line (which is fine for O'Brien).

Old
06-16-2012, 09:45 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
We are in dire need of a quality bottom six center. Those usually don't cost a decent #4 defenseman. I'd want a quality asset coming back with Smith if that was the case.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
We are in dire need of a quality bottom six center. Those usually don't cost a decent #4 defenseman. I'd want a quality asset coming back with Smith if that was the case.
I included Puempel (24th overall last year), he is a bit of a project, but was the CHL rookie of the year, and is a natural goal scorer.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Quote:

I'm not denying Smith's skill, he is a more complete package than O'Brien right now, I'm just saying he's in a log-jam at centre in Ottawa. Smith has been relegated to the fourth line, and O'Brien's doing everything Ottawa envisioned Smith doing anyway.

That log-jam is what's making him expendable, particularly with Regin back in the fold and Zibanejad coming in in the next few years.

Last edited by mkearney913: 06-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.
mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:53 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Adam Hall + 2nd round pick for Hammer?

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:12 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
While Smith>JOB, O'Brien can quite easily fill in for Smith. If Regin is healthy this year, it would likely push Smith down to the fourth line (which is fine for O'Brien).
Quote:
I'm not denying Smith's skill, he is a more complete package than O'Brien right now, I'm just saying he's in a log-jam at centre in Ottawa. Smith has been relegated to the fourth line, and O'Brien's doing everything Ottawa envisioned Smith doing anyway.

That log-jam is what's making him expendable, particularly with Regin back in the fold and Zibanejad coming in in the next few years.
Smith plays C/LW
That means he's competing with: Spezza, Turris, Foligno, Greening, Regin for those 6 spots in the top-9... with Spezza being just about the only established player in that group guaranteed to play more than Smith.

I like our prospects, they're great. But the only thing they earn is a chance to play on the team, not to have a top end role handed to them as we cast other players aside to 'make room for them'. You clear 4th liners out like Winnie and Konopka and then let everybody else fight over the higher end roles.

Also, as much as I like Regin... maybe we should wait to see him string a healthy a couple of months in row together first.

I would do some form of this deal though because we desperately need a long term answer in our top-4... and soon.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:20 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Smith plays C/LW
That means he's competing with: Spezza, Turris, Foligno, Greening, Regin for those 6 spots in the top-9... with Spezza being just about the only established player in that group guaranteed to play more than Smith.

I like our prospects, they're great. But the only thing they earn is a chance to play on the team, not to have a top end role handed to them as we cast other players aside to 'make room for them'. You clear 4th liners out like Winnie and Konopka and then let everybody else fight over the higher end roles.

Also, as much as I like Regin... maybe we should wait to see him string a healthy a couple of months in row together first.

I would do some form of this deal though because we desperately need a long term answer in our top-4... and soon.
I think one could argue that Smith will not play more than Turris. With that being the case, I don't recall Smith ever playing on the top 2 lines (perhaps a game with Spezza and Condra? For some reason that sticks in my brain), which would automatically put him on the 4rd or 4th line.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
This.

Ottawa would need to add something for this to work out.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trentmccleary

Quote:
I think one could argue that Smith will not play more than Turris. With that being the case, I don't recall Smith ever playing on the top 2 lines (perhaps a game with Spezza and Condra? For some reason that sticks in my brain), which would automatically put him on the 4rd or 4th line.
I think Smith will become a fixture on the 3rd line and PK. Which could easily have him playing more per game than many of those other guys if they struggle in the slightest... and it's not like many are established.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Source:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...Time/128/44979

I'm an Ottawa fan, so I have no idea if this guy is legit, but what does Ottawa have to add?

Ott:
Hjalmarsson
48th Overall Pick (2012)

Chi:
Smith
Puempel
82nd Overall Pick (2012)

Too much? Too Little?
I like Hjammer, but I think Smith is underrated for what he brings. Even if Hjammer > Smith (and he probably is, though he is overpaid), I dont like giving up Puempel. I think he'll end up a 20+ goal guy, maybe more. And Sens fans are way, way too quick to put him in proposals. It hasnt even been a year since we drafted him. Give him some time to develop.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
This.

Ottawa would need to add something for this to work out.
I know toronto was EXTREMELY high on puempel at the draft.

Why dont we throw bozak into the trade somewhere for puempel?

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:39 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I like Hjammer, but I think Smith is underrated for what he brings. Even if Hjammer > Smith (and he probably is, though he is overpaid), I dont like giving up Puempel. I think he'll end up a 20+ goal guy, maybe more. And Sens fans are way, way too quick to put him in proposals. It hasnt even been a year since we drafted him. Give him some time to develop.
I think the reason he's included so frequently is because he has value (vs someone like Butler), but as a fanbase we haven't grown attached to him at all.

Zibanejad showed flashes of brilliance in pre-season and scored the WJC gold medal goal.

Noesen looked like a massive reach at the time, but 1 year later, he looks to be developing into a Dustin Brown type player while lighting up the OHL playoffs.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:40 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post

Puempel + for Schenn

Old
06-16-2012, 10:41 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post

What is this...?

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Snowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
What is this...?
A joke.

Has to be, Bozak is a good top line centre for an AHL team.

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Puempel alone for Hjalmarsson is bad.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:57 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:

This. Smith is valuable, gritty 3rd line C who hits and has some offense. Actually not sure I would want to do him + a pick as a Sens fan.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's my bad. I misunderstood it as O'Brien would seamlessly replace Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
This. Smith is valuable, gritty 3rd line C who hits and has some offense. Actually not sure I would want to do him + a pick as a Sens fan.
Agreed. As a habs fan Smith is very useful. PKer, pretty much a guaranteed goal against the habs. He can hit, fight, score and did alright on the draw. Took the 2nd most of all Sens centres and finished with 49 percent (rounder up)

Smith should be good for 10 goals a season (if healthy), but can get more than that. Will defend teammates. Averaged 2 hits a game this past season. What more could you want from him, except for maybe getting over 50 on the faceoffs. Though, winger wins count, too.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
WhiteLight

Smith has 20 goal and 40 point potential. He was 0.5 ppg in the first half of the season then went ice cold in the 2nd half. Most Bingo boys did too, they had a really long season in 2010-11.

Complete player and everything you want in a hockey player. Rugged, big, physical, fighter, good skater, good puck handler, good shot, good defensively, good/will be be good on faceoffs. He's limited to 40 points on offense probably.

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote