HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
VladNYC*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Is he on crack ? Trying to gain some attention, or just plain stupid ? 64 team league ???????? Are you kidding me ?

@VladNYC, please tell me how the NHL is hurting hockey ?
It's very simple. The NHL is a parasite on the hockey programs of European countries. It takes the best players and gives nothing in return. Anything European hockey programs invest in is inherently transferred to the coffers of the NHL. The constant exodus of young European talent creates a vicious cycle in which the level of play gets worse in the European leagues because the best players leave and the best players leave because the level of play gets worse and worse. Besides that the NHL refuses to have their best teams compete against European teams in any kind of significant competition other then exhibitions.

The KHL is the ONLY chance for European teams to be anything else then lower tier feeder teams for the NHL. What Medvev is proposing here is a life line to the hockey programs all over Europe. To be something other then a surrogate mother for the NHL.

I understand that some European fans are afraid of losing their identity in such a vast project but I'll ask you this. What identity do you have when your leagues get worse and worse and you bend over back wards more and more every year? What are your leagues worth when you can't even keep your second and third tier talent? At least wit the KHL you can be master of your own destiny.

The KHL has the kind of resources that no other league, including the NHL has. They are building something like 11 12,000 to 20,000 seat stadiums. Who else can coordinate something like that? This is why no European unified competition can survive with out the Russians and Russia is fully committed to the KHL, economically and politically.

The KHL is now made up of 7 countries and I have a feeling after this season both the Czechs and Slovaks will be further committed to the KHL.

Maybe this is a bit of a crazy idea but what is the alternative? To be conservative and visionless like our european neighbors? Where has that gotten European hockey?

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:39 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

VladNYC

I am signing your last post. Bravo, man.

Problem is philosophy. Swedes/Finns etc dont have problem with beeing feeder league of NHL. Especially Elitserien has now status as AHL, european developing league. Medvedev wants to create league which is INDEPENDENT from NHL, can keep its best players (of course, not all).

Europe must cooperate with NHL, but we have to adopt rules which are adequate, not only to be feeder/developing league for NHL.

IIHF and ET a co. are dreaming about Champions Leagues but they dont have two most important things - high quality players and finance
How do they want to create attractive Champions League???? Would be soccer Champions League so attractive if only second/third tier players participate?? Soccer Champions League without clubs from England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium (because there are best players playing in Europe). Would it be so great? IIHF wants to create Champions League of third tier players (after NHL, KHL).

For opponents of Medvedev´s vision - guys, look at transfers in/out in Elitserien and SM-Liiga this summer. All best players are going to NHL or KHL, they are replaced by juniors which is great but not good for TOP TIER league as Champions League. And I dont say about slovak clubs which are loosing best players (btw overpayed) for 2nd france league, Ukrainian league etc

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Is he on crack ? Trying to gain some attention, or just plain stupid ? 64 team league ???????? Are you kidding me ?

@VladNYC, please tell me how the NHL is hurting hockey ?

Think about it this way......the KHL would not exist if the NHL was responsible and ethical in its business practices.
When entities act as underhanded as the NHL does, its inevitable that other entities will rise up to challenge it; particularly when those underhanded practices hurt the overall product.

The NHL is akin to a logging company that cuts down all the best trees, yet does the absolute minimal in replanting. Its very short sighted and, long term, actually harms its own industry.
In addition, the NHL is the only league that is harmful for international competitions.

The NHL is great for hockey in NA....but its terrible for the global game. And its for this reason why entities like the KHL are created.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
cydas

This is a very interesting subject to discuss. If KHL was to extend to Nordic countries, my favorite team Oulun Kärpät, being one of the richest clubs in SM-liiga, could very well be joining KHL amongst the first. This would help us keep our top prospects to ourselves and make the club attract more high-level players overall. However this could mean our identity weakening and becoming just another plastic KHL club with millionaire players...

One thing is for sure about Finnish hockey, if only a few teams like Jokerit or HIFK from Helsinki would join the KHL the fans of the clubs wouldn't suddenly start cheering for them, since here the teams identity, history and traditions mean more than the quality of players. Though if we keep living in the past and don't move forward the quality of our league will go to even worse direction.

I myself believe KHL is the only option to move forward even though I don't like it. Oh well as long as my team would be amongst those joining and we would get to keep our finnish team name instead of having to change it to Traktor, I'm satisfied

cydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:22 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
It's very simple. The NHL is a parasite on the hockey programs of European countries. It takes the best players and gives nothing in return. Anything European hockey programs invest in is inherently transferred to the coffers of the NHL. The constant exodus of young European talent creates a vicious cycle in which the level of play gets worse in the European leagues because the best players leave and the best players leave because the level of play gets worse and worse. Besides that the NHL refuses to have their best teams compete against European teams in any kind of significant competition other then exhibitions.

The KHL is the ONLY chance for European teams to be anything else then lower tier feeder teams for the NHL. What Medvev is proposing here is a life line to the hockey programs all over Europe. To be something other then a surrogate mother for the NHL.

I understand that some European fans are afraid of losing their identity in such a vast project but I'll ask you this. What identity do you have when your leagues get worse and worse and you bend over back wards more and more every year? What are your leagues worth when you can't even keep your second and third tier talent? At least wit the KHL you can be master of your own destiny.

The KHL has the kind of resources that no other league, including the NHL has. They are building something like 11 12,000 to 20,000 seat stadiums. Who else can coordinate something like that? This is why no European unified competition can survive with out the Russians and Russia is fully committed to the KHL, economically and politically.

The KHL is now made up of 7 countries and I have a feeling after this season both the Czechs and Slovaks will be further committed to the KHL.

Maybe this is a bit of a crazy idea but what is the alternative? To be conservative and visionless like our european neighbors? Where has that gotten European hockey?
This is all nice, but KHL going the way it is going right now - it means only replacing one despot (NHL) with another (KHL). The best thing for all hockey would be making it work the way soccer (the most successful sport ever) works. Take away all power from the leagues (NHL, KHL, whichever else) and give it to IIHF and national associations, just like FIFA, UEFA etc. works.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
This is all nice, but KHL going the way it is going right now - it means only replacing one despot (NHL) with another (KHL). The best thing for all hockey would be making it work the way soccer (the most successful sport ever) works. Take away all power from the leagues (NHL, KHL, whichever else) and give it to IIHF and national associations, just like FIFA, UEFA etc. works.
You cannot compare football (soccer) and hockey because football has much more financial parity than hockey. In football you have English league, Spanish league, Italian league, German league and nowadays Russian league that are able to pay similar salaries to players. Dutch, French and Turkish leagues are also pretty strong financially.

In hockey we used to have one league (NHL) with more money to spend than other leagues combined. Now the KHL is somewhat able to compete with the NHL financially but yet lacks the prestige and conditions to lure the best talent to play there.

The NHL and the KHL will continue to act "despotically" as long as they are financially superior to other leagues. Althought I would not call the KHL a "despot" because at least it pays for the players. The NHL just takes them without paying.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:47 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
You cannot compare football (soccer) and hockey because football has much more financial parity than hockey. In football you have English league, Spanish league, Italian league, German league and nowadays Russian league that are able to pay similar salaries to players. Dutch, French and Turkish leagues are also pretty strong financially.

In hockey we used to have one league (NHL) with more money to spend than other leagues combined. Now the KHL is somewhat able to compete with the NHL financially but yet lacks the prestige and conditions to lure the best talent to play there.

The NHL and the KHL will continue to act "despotically" as long as they are financially superior to other leagues. Althought I would not call the KHL a "despot" because at least it pays for the players. The NHL just takes them without paying.
Still all of those rich leagues remain under control of international football bodies. That was my point. I dont care about finances and how many players NHL/KHL buy from other leagues. I say that rules should be set by IIHF, not by deals of some leagues.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:52 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Still all of those rich leagues remain under control of international football bodies. That was my point. I dont care about finances and how many players NHL/KHL buy from other leagues. I say that rules should be set by IIHF, not by deals of some leagues.
I agree with you, unfortunatelly there is nobody with power to achieve it. IIHF is weak, NHL will never accept your point of view. I would like it to happen, but dont see any chance...

Old
06-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
agree. It is a way out of troubles. Maybe some work in progress. She looks pretty serious

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?view=c...bid=0&id=57375
- one picture is more than thousand words.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:42 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

to compare budgets of euro clubs. I have just read that Liberec (czech rep) wants cca 5,5 mil euro budget for next season including senior team, juniors, farm team etc. As I know minimal salary cap for KHL team is cca 6 mil euro. I dont know if Liberec is wealthiest club in Czech rep or not.

Big gap among KHL clubs and domestic clubs..
http://hokej.idnes.cz/sef-petr-syrov...0139_hokej_mah

Old
06-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Thing I don't understand if the hatred of a Champions League style tournament when that is the simplest solution?

Why separate teams from their domestic leagues for a pan-European competition when you can sort one out for the best teams in Europe. 32 teams with qualifying stages (1/2 for lesser nations). Work out a ranking for European teams which if a nation changes and improves above another, they get more spots in the tournament. I.e If British teams improved and became better than Russia and this index showed that, then Britain get's 3 teams instead of 2 and Russia get's 2 instead of 3 etc. My layout for a CIH:

Seeds:

Pot 1:
KHL Champions - HC Dynamo Moscow
SM-Liga Champions - JYP
Eitserien Champions - Bryans IF
DEL Champions - Eisbaren Berlin

Pot 2:
National League Champions - ZSC Lions
Czech Extraliga Champions - HC Pardubice
Slovak Extraliga Champions - HC Slovan Bratislava
Austrian Hockey League Champions - Black Wings Linz

Pot 3:
Polska Liga Hokejowa Champions - KH Sanok
GET-Ligaen Champions - Stavanger Oilers
AL Bank-Ligaen Champions - Herning Blue Fox
Slovenian Hockey League Champions - HDD Olimpija

Pot 4:
Ukraine PHL Champions - HC Donbass-2
Ligue Magnus Champions - Dragons de Rouen
Latvian Hockey League Champions - HK Liepajas Metalurgs
Elite League Hockey Champions - Nottingham Panthers

Groups could look like:

Group 1:
HC Dynamo Moscow
HC Pardubice
KH Sanok
HC Donbass-2

Group 2:
JYP
HC Slovan Bratislava
Stavanger Oilers
Dragons de Rouen

Group 3:
Eisbaren Berlin
Black Wings Linz
Herning Blue Fox
HC Liepajas Metalurgs

Group 4:
Brynas IF
ZSC Lions
HDD Olimpija
Nottingham Panthers

Thoughts?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:58 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Do it without Russians or with them, BUT

Quote:
“We have no interest in a parallel system,” said Medvedev, who earlier presented his vision of a permanent European league.
Options:
1.Champions League without Russians (KHL)
2.European League with Russians

Old
06-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Thing I don't understand if the hatred of a Champions League style tournament when that is the simplest solution?
At the risk of repeating myself over and over again: Your "simplest solution" has been tried twice and has failed twice. European Hockey League, Champions Hockey League, look it up.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
At the risk of repeating myself over and over again: Your "simplest solution" has been tried twice and has failed twice. European Hockey League, Champions Hockey League, look it up.
There seems to be interest now though, so why not see if there is subsequent funding and sponsorship available?

The only way to find out is too ask;

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:46 AM
VladNYC*

I think one of the first things we need to get over is this mind set that if European teams join the KHL they are inviting an evil despot to rule over them. That they are somehow signing their souls away to the devil. What people need to understand is that when you join the KHL you ARE the KHL. You control your own destiny with your money and your on ice play. Money invested that for the first time will actually be benefiting you in terms of player retention, development, and high quality hockey being played in your cities again.

Now let's talk about mind set. I'll never understand this mind set that some of our neighbors have of being content to be the faceless worker in the NHL's meat processing plant. With the current situation the NHL will ALWAYS prevent you guys from participating in a meaningful European Unified tournament with your top players. You will be sending a shell of a team to a joke of a tournament. If you believe in your nation's hockey heritage then put it on the line. Take a chance and try to be something other then the NHL's surrogate mother.

Just take a look at our Latvian friends. Small country, terrible relations with Russia, losing all their players good or bad. But they swallowed their pride and made a pragmatic decision and now Dynamo Riga is one of the most popular teams in the KHL and probably the most profitable. Their fans love that team. I truly believe Latvia making this decision saved hockey in their country.

The other part that's really important to point out is that with the KHL comes the MHL and the MHL is just as important. Latvia now has a team there, Belarus two, Kazakhstan one and Slovakia one. The MHL is pivotal in the bolstering of hockey in Europe. Have we forgotten that just a little while ago the Slovakian junior national team had to play in the men's league just to get enough competition so they don't get embarrassed at the U20? By buying into the KHL your teams instantly ensures access to a whole caliber of sponsorship that they would have no access to before. All of a sudden the Gazproms and Megafones and Tatnefts are available to you. The type of economic force that is building ELEVEN 12,000 to 20,000 person arenas at the same time.

For those of you who are still in favor of a champion's league, I'll ask you this. What will it do to keep your players at home? How will it improve the on ice product? Will a few games against other European clubs who are also devoid of their top talent revolutionize European Hockey? Who is going to sponsor it? The KHL? The NHL? Why would they?

To gain something, you must risk something and if you gain nothing, where will you be?

Last edited by VladNYC*: 06-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old
06-16-2012, 02:05 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Thinking the KHL is going to be on par with the NHL is delusional. Thinking that the KHL can compete with the NHL for some good European players is not delusional. Guys like Morozov and Radulov would never have chosen Europe over the NHL in the 1990s. That's progress right there.
Morozov? Old Europeans go back to their homelands all the time in the later years of their careers.

Radulov? Funny, could have sworn I saw him in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Quote:
Who's dreaming? The IIHF has been dreaming of a European League for ages. They tried to make it happen twice and both times they fell flat on the face. Now the Clubs are the driving force behind a third attempt, the European Trophy. I wish them good luck, but paint me sceptical. Whereas the KHL is alive and kicking and has left the other European Leagues behind.
But creating a simple competition is not hard to do at all. The problem is that the IIHF shoots for the stars from the very beginning without developing the league over time and letting history and prestige grow naturally.

It's not hard to put together a schedule and tell the teams involved to go have some fun. Problems arise when you try to make it a big deal before it's a big deal.

Competing with the NHL is what's dreaming. And that's the KHL's delusional dream.

Quote:
If there was such a big demand, the pulling out of one big sponsor wouldn't have stopped the whole project.
Sponsors don't tend to throw money at things as soon as they are created without having any clue as to how it will develop. That's just asking to lose money. You wait until something becomes big before you put your name on it. Of course a league that only lasts one season isn't going to have sponsorship - it shouldn't. That's how business works. As the saying goes "you have to spend money to make money". The sponsorships will come eventually.

Anyway, I was talking about fan/community interest, not sponsor interest. There's no denying that fans (Facebook fan poll) and those at the Barcelona summit prefer the Champions League model.

Quote:
And consistency? The starting field in a Champions League kind of hockey competition would be highly fluctuating. Eisbären Berlin in one year, out the next year, then in again. ZSC Lions in one year, out two years, in again. How would that enable those clubs to attract better talent?
You misunderstood me. I don't mean the teams would be consistent, I mean the competition itself would be consistent. The Champions League only played one season. If there was an ESTABLISHED consistent Champions League with history and prestige, there would be more interest in European hockey and more desire (and money) for players to play in Europe. Probably more attractive than playing for some artificial club in a franchise-based league mostly confined to the backwaters of Russia. The only advantage the KHL has currently is money.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:12 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
IIHF and ET a co. are dreaming about Champions Leagues but they dont have two most important things - high quality players and finance
How do they want to create attractive Champions League???? Would be soccer Champions League so attractive if only second/third tier players participate??
Of course it would be - because it is still the European championship.

By that logic, nobody outside of Europe would care about soccer because Europe has all the best players.

Guess I should stop following American soccer because we have second/third tier players.

American soccer is actually a good example. American soccer is getting bigger resulting in better players and a better overall product in the MLS. THIS is how you make European hockey better. You make the domestic leagues better. The MLS isn't expanding into Mexico and Brazil taking their top teams and ruining those countris' championships just so they can lure some slightly better players from Europe.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Just take a look at our Latvian friends. Small country, terrible relations with Russia, losing all their players good or bad. But they swallowed their pride and made a pragmatic decision and now Dynamo Riga is one of the most popular teams in the KHL and probably the most profitable. Their fans love that team. I truly believe Latvia making this decision saved hockey in their country.
Jesus almighty! How many times this myth will be brought up? And by most profitable you mean, the team, that looses the least money.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:05 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Jesus almighty! How many times this myth will be brought up? And by most profitable you mean, the team, that looses the least money.
How is it myth? Riga makes a profit and plays in the best league in Europe. They have a junior team that plays in the MHL which will do wonders for Latvian player development. What would be the highlight of Latvian club hockey with out the KHL? Getting destroyed in the Belarussian Open League?

Get real!

Old
06-16-2012, 04:25 PM
ozo

Quote:
How is it myth? Riga makes a profit and plays in the best league in Europe. They have a junior team that plays in the MHL which will do wonders for Latvian player development. What would be the highlight of Latvian club hockey with out the KHL? Getting destroyed in the Belarussian Open League?

Get real!
Get real? Ok.

Riga doesn't make a profit. Unless you don't consider those Russian gas millions which comes from unknown Tukmenistan's investor a serious sponsorship deal We had 5 (almost) sellouts in playoffs and team only made 250$ K from those games. Which is a fraction of clubs budget which already is probably rock-bottom of the league. You can't make a profit with such a payroll with average attendance of 7K and not everybody even paid for those tickets in regular season - there boatload of giveaways for children. If you can disprove anything I said, please, go ahead - give me a link, your calculations or something.

We have a junior team "which will do wonders for Latvian player development". Well, if you say so, but you should probably put your crystal ball back in cupboard until it happens.

Our hockey highlight for sure aren't getting destroyed in any league, whether it's Belarus or Russia. It's our WC team, which, with bunch of now overpaid KHL primadonnas, are doing their best to get us finally relegated from elite division. Is KHL doing wonders to Kazakh hockey as well? Aren't they benefiting from KHL somehow as well in division2?

Dinamo is undoubtly playing in the best European league, but basically it has made our twenty best hockey players rich and that's it.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:55 PM
VladNYC*

I think you are being overly pessimistic and expect too much too soon. We wont start seeing the payoff of KHL development until we have a generation of players go through the MHL and into the KHL.

What is the alternative for you guys? What is better for Latvian hockey then the KHL?

Old
06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
ozo

Quote:
I think you are being overly pessimistic and expect too much too soon. We wont start seeing the payoff of KHL development until we have a generation of players go through the MHL and into the KHL.

What is the alternative for you guys? What is better for Latvian hockey then the KHL?
I'm not pessimistic, I'm painfully realistic. I'd gladly take pride in DR if it really was everything you are suggesting it to be but currently it has done zilch for our hockey as such (let lone being called a saviour of our hockey ). Right now it's solid entertainment option for locals just like cinema or theater is and nothing more.

Dinamo could be playing in ****ing NHL and it wouldn't make any difference because the problems we have with our hockey can't be fixed by two rosters in Russian leagues. Everyone who thinks KHL is some kind of a magic wand for Latvian hockey is simply delusional.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:16 PM
VladNYC*

You still haven't answered my questions.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:26 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Of course it would be - because it is still the European championship.

By that logic, nobody outside of Europe would care about soccer because Europe has all the best players.

Guess I should stop following American soccer because we have second/third tier players.

American soccer is actually a good example. American soccer is getting bigger resulting in better players and a better overall product in the MLS. THIS is how you make European hockey better. You make the domestic leagues better. The MLS isn't expanding into Mexico and Brazil taking their top teams and ruining those countris' championships just so they can lure some slightly better players from Europe.
HAHAHAHAHA

MSL is a perfect example. Nice and closed system, scratched the European 'parallel' concept and are doing very well. MLS in soccer is closer to the NHL than any soccer league in Europe and the dividends from that have yielded so much success both in US and Canada!!

BTW where are the Malmo Redhawks, and the Djurgardens traditions and historic rivals?? LMAO they got shafted and are stuck losing their credibility, fans, players and money. None of that would happen with a closed system.

Btw I wanna point out that the national leagues are so bureaucratic, and are either entirely run, or severely influenced by that nations' hockey federation. Something, again, not present in the NHL, and something the KHL is working away from.

Its hilarious to me that the Europeans are so stubborn and don't wanna follow the NHL model. Something that is proven successful. Not only from itself, but the KHL and Medvedev which are following the model of the NHL more or less and it has given them tremendous results. The top 2 leagues in the world will tell you that a closed non-parallel system is better, but no, the IIHF and the other hockey geniuses can do it better - with inspiration from the Champions league and various other sports.

I honestly have no clue how Eric Karlsson would stay in Sweden for the reason that there would be some sort of Champions league where he would have the chance to play Eisbaren and Rouen Dragons for a useless trophy that puts you second to the KHL and NHL anyway
he would even go to the KHL and battle for the Gagarin Cup before that.

A Central European Hockey Champions League inspired by the EUFA would be cute, and over time might even make a little bit of money, but its definitely not gonna change anything in terms of competition and retaining top prospects from the NHL and even KHL

Last edited by yunost: 06-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:23 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
HAHAHAHAHA

MSL is a perfect example. Nice and closed system, scratched the European 'parallel' concept and are doing very well. MLS in soccer is closer to the NHL than any soccer league in Europe and the dividends from that have yielded so much success both in US and Canada!!
Yes, MLS is a closed league, just like many European hockey leagues. How is this relevant? Nobody is complaining that the KHL is a closed league. The Russians can do whatever they want - with their OWN league. The problem is them wanting to conquer the rest of Europe and decide how the rest of Europe should run their hockey.

Which is why I made the comparison of the MLS expanding into Mexico and Brazil. Obviously that would never fly. So why do KHL fans expect the rest of the hockey community to roll over and let them conquer everything?

A united "Western hemisphere" league would probably compete with the UEFA Champions League better in soccer, but there's a reason why if you brought up such an idea anyone with a clue would laugh in your face.

Quote:
BTW where are the Malmo Redhawks, and the Djurgardens traditions and historic rivals?? LMAO they got shafted and are stuck losing their credibility, fans, players and money. None of that would happen with a closed system.
Unfortunate for them, but better for competition. As I said, I don't have a problem with closed leagues (as long as they stick to their own countries). Though relegation systems are obviously preferred from a competition perspective. All you care about is money though apparently.

Quote:
Btw I wanna point out that the national leagues are so bureaucratic, and are either entirely run, or severely influenced by that nations' hockey federation. Something, again, not present in the NHL, and something the KHL is working away from.
Uh.... of course they're run by their national hockey federation. They're SUPPOSED TO BE. The Swedish league is run by the Swedish federation because it is the SWEDISH LEAGUE.

The NHL and KHL are independent of national federations (for the most part) because all they care about is money, not tradition.

Quote:
Its hilarious to me that the Europeans are so stubborn and don't wanna follow the NHL model. Something that is proven successful. Not only from itself, but the KHL and Medvedev which are following the model of the NHL more or less and it has given them tremendous results. The top 2 leagues in the world will tell you that a closed non-parallel system is better, but no, the IIHF and the other hockey geniuses can do it better - with inspiration from the Champions league and various other sports.
As I just said, a closed non-parallel system is better - FOR PROFITS. Quite the opposite for true competition and the good of the sport.

I'm not sure how anyone could possibly say that the NHL model is "successful". Ever been to the Business of Hockey board? It's full of complaining about the NHL's profit motive ruining North American hockey. Like having teams in Florida and Texas instead of Canada.

If KHL fans are happy with the idea of losing a bunch of their teams to non-traditional markets and a league that has absolutely no concern for the tradition of the game, so be it. But I have a feeling KHL fans will be complaining just as much as NHL fans in a decade or two.

Quote:
I honestly have no clue how Eric Karlsson would stay in Sweden for the reason that there would be some sort of Champions league where he would have the chance to play Eisbaren and Rouen Dragons for a useless trophy that puts you second to the KHL and NHL anyway
I also don't understand why anyone plays in the KHL when they are second to the NHL.... give me a break. Players don't care about that stuff. Winning a European Championship and a national championship in the same year for their hometown team will give them far more motivation to play in their own country over a few more dollars in artificial KHL.

Quote:
he would even go to the KHL and battle for the Gagarin Cup before that.
Maybe at this point, but I'm talking about a consistent and established Champions League in the future, which would easily rival the KHL. Europeans would be more interested in seeing the best teams from every league compete against each other more than artificial clubs playing in a Russian league, for sure.

Quote:
A Central European Hockey Champions League inspired by the EUFA would be cute, and over time might even make a little bit of money, but its definitely not gonna change anything in terms of competition and retaining top prospects from the NHL and even KHL
Which is why the UEFA Champions League will never compete with MLS, right? Since closed leagues are so much superior to parallel leagues and all....

Last edited by EbencoyE: 06-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.