HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Top 120 rankings

Old
06-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
This guy claims to have combine measurements and he claims Yakupov is 5' 11'' and 1/4 (not sure if that reads right, but if he was 3/4 inches taller he'd be 6 feet tall is what I am saying).

https://twitter.com/MarkEdwardsHP/st...53087045861376

Yakupov has also said a few times he was not concussed late in the season.

Seriously, if the ''concussion'' and him being 5'10'' are the main reasons for him to fall, well it seems to be unfounded.

If Yakupov is available at 3, Bergevin and Timmins should be doing cartwheels to the podium. And I am driving the ''we need to draft a young #1 center'' bandwagon, but you just can't pass up a Yakupov.

If both Yakupov and Galchenyuk somehow are available at 3 it will be like having to pick between Kate Upton and Olivia Wilde. I almost hope one is gone before 3 so we don't have to debate it for years and years.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:04 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

vCash: 500
If they're both available, I would harass the Islanders like a fly on ....

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Isles 2nd rounder (34th overall) and Habs right to flip flop 1st rounders with the Islanders in 2013 would be my asking price.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This guy claims to have combine measurements and he claims Yakupov is 5' 11'' and 1/4 (not sure if that reads right, but if he was 3/4 inches taller he'd be 6 feet tall is what I am saying).

https://twitter.com/MarkEdwardsHP/st...53087045861376

Yakupov has also said a few times he was not concussed late in the season.

Seriously, if the ''concussion'' and him being 5'10'' are the main reasons for him to fall, well it seems to be unfounded.

If Yakupov is available at 3, Bergevin and Timmins should be doing cartwheels to the podium. And I am driving the ''we need to draft a young #1 center'' bandwagon, but you just can't pass up a Yakupov.

If both Yakupov and Galchenyuk somehow are available at 3 it will be like having to pick between Kate Upton and Olivia Wilde. I almost hope one is gone before 3 so we don't have to debate it for years and years.

My decision was made a long time ago.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:12 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

If we do land yakupov in 3rd...

wow it would be full of win.

best.draft.ever.

see you next time

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Well - an NHL head scout told me TT is a "natural center if I ever saw one." That's good enough for me when it comes to where he will play in the NHL. TT was barely 17 playing in a men's league...he played on the wing during the regular season because that was the only place where there was an opening. Would you not call Tyler Seguin a center? Yet because of numbers he has played on the wing quite often the past two seasons..doesn't mean he won't be a center for the majority of his NHL career.

I don't know why people nitpick about me saying it might take four or five years to reach his full NHL potential. Four years from now he may be a 40-60point scorer..but that doesn't mean he will have reached his full potential.

AS for there being few top five picks who need foru or five years...How many were four days shy of the following year's draft? A four year-wait for TT to reach his potential is almost like a three-year wait...he will still only be 20 years old when he shows up for his fourth NHL training camp.
When you look back to the 70's when Perreault,Lafleur and Dionne were drafted,the draft age was 20yrs.old.Montreal always groomed their players and Lafleur didn't reach his potential until his fourth year and he was an exceptional talent.Another case of a small but huge talent was Gretzky and people were really skeptical of how he would handle the NHL.After his years in the WHA and having Semenko to ward off any player antagonizing him he was phenomenal.I'm not saying Teravainen is as good as Gretzky but he has huge talent and small stature,yet he still stands out playing against men.So like Grant says given time to adjust and figure out how best to use his talent without getting creamed,like Lafleur he could very well be the best from his draft class after 3-4 yrs.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:40 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Hey grant,

If you have Teuvo ranked so high what do you see his potential as? a Number 1 center? 1b?

Thanks and all the best

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Grant McCagg

5-10 or 5-11..the main point being he's no taller than TT, and he's a winger, and he will always have the KHL option whether he denies it or not. If he wasn't concussed then I'd be concerned over his playoff showing.

Did Pat Kane suck in the playoffs? Nope. Nugent Hopkins? 11 points in 9 games on an overachieving Red Deer team. What about Taylor Hall? Merely led his team to a championship with 35 points. One might argue that Hall was a late birthdate and more should be expected, well Yakupov is a late birthdate too and 11 months older than TT, who led his men's team in playoff points before leaving for the U-18's.

I would think there are at least a handful of NHL teams that have TT ranked ahead of Yakupov.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post

My decision was made a long time ago.
Yakupov has a mustache in some pictures too, hmm.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:01 PM
TinordiandSubban

Using Grant's rankings the Top 10 could look like:

1-EDM-Murray
2-CBJ-Galchenyuk
3-MTL-Teravainen
4-NYI-Dumba
5-TOR-Yakupov
6-ANA-Forsberg
7-MIN-Reinhart
8-CAR-Grigorenko
9-WPG-Rielly
10-TBL-Trouba

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post

1-EDM-Murray
2-CBJ-Galchenyuk
3-MTL-Teravainen
4-NYI-Dumba
5-TOR-Yakupov
6-ANA-Forsberg
7-MIN-Reinhart
8-CAR-Grigorenko
9-WPG-Rielly
10-TBL-Trouba
Yakupov dropping to the Leafs?

Now THAT would never happen. No way both us and the Islanders (Who have a few other young Russians already) skip Yakupov.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:11 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

well seems like the draft will be exciting and unpredictable ;o

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:

1-EDM-Murray
2-CBJ-Galchenyuk
3-MTL-Teravainen
4-NYI-Dumba
5-TOR-Yakupov
6-ANA-Forsberg
7-MIN-Reinhart
8-CAR-Grigorenko
9-WPG-Rielly
10-TBL-Trouba

Maybe - I think this might happen....

1-EDM-Murray
2-CBJ-Forsberg
3-MTL- Galchenyuk
4-TOR-Yakupov
5- NYI-Dumba
6-ANA- Teravainen
7-MIN-Reinhart
8-CAR-Grigorenko
9-WPG-Rielly
10-TBL-Trouba[/QUOTE]

If Yakupov drops to 4 I could see Toronto swapping with the Islanders so they can grab Yakupov. Burke always likes to make a splash, and he could depart the draft claiming he got the best player, while the Islanders would FINALLY pick a top-notch defenceman instead of adding yet another forward, while adding another asset or two...everybody wins.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

1-EDM-Murray
2-CBJ-Galchenyuk
3-MTL-Teravainen
4-NYI-Dumba
5-TOR-Yakupov
6-ANA-Forsberg
7-MIN-Reinhart
8-CAR-Grigorenko
9-WPG-Rielly
10-TBL-Trouba
I can't see Montreal AND NYI both passing on Yakupov. He fills an immediate need on both teams. I know the Habs love Galcheyuk but it would be a toss up if he and Yakupov were available. I would bet my house the Islanders wouldn't pass on Yakupov.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlureb View Post
Lottery teams anchor their drafting philosophy to a long term strategy. The shortest development time frame, ...for the longest lasting impact on their team's planned-for successes. Drafting becomes...by default...a precious, for rare, window of opportunity onto a sophisticated long-game strategy. This is obviously not to be wasted on quick fixes and evanescent glories.

The conceptual framework of pundits, bloggers, journalists, analysts and what not rests essentially on a bedrock of short term memory. One has to be right, ...and remembered professionally, emotionally for being right within an optimally rewarding time frame beyond which creeps in the law of diminishing return. In short, they have a financial, ...professional, ...emotional stake in hitting memory-length, proprietary targets instead of painting with a broad brush the fuzzy realism of the 'arch of history'.

Grigorenko's very nature will play to his future team's long-game strategy. But it cannot, ...will not play well to a pundit's 'pay dirt' memory... However Teravainen's might, ...for even more rewarding it is for a bloodhound scribbler to spin a Finn's failure as a moral victory than it is to turn Russian uncalled for glory into a mere accident of history.
Can you say that in English?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:51 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Walk hard and carry a big stick.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I can't see Montreal AND NYI both passing on Yakupov. He fills an immediate need on both teams. I know the Habs love Galcheyuk but it would be a toss up if he and Yakupov were available. I would bet my house the Islanders wouldn't pass on Yakupov.
Just imagine Taveres playing with Yakupov..no matter how bad their defense is no way would that organization pass on that, plus they have other young Russians coming in.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Immediate need? On the Islanders? Their need is from the blueline back now and in the future.

I think the Islanders would be remiss to once again pick a forward over a defenceman in the top 10. JT, Okposo, Strome, Bailey, Neidereitter...it's time to add a top two defenceman to that mix, while adding another asset or two.

Burke will likely offer plenty for the right to move up one spot so he can have yet another enigmatic winger. If he thinks he can build a champion around Kessel and Yakupov....I could see them having some great regular season production and then disappearing in the playoffs...and in a few years Yakupov getting tired of the TO media scrutiny and bolting for the KHL.

I actually hope the draft goes down that way.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:10 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Immediate need? On the Islanders? Their need is from the blueline back now and in the future.

I think the Islanders would be remiss to once again pick a forward over a defenceman in the top 10. JT, Okposo, Strome, Bailey, Neidereitter...it's time to add a top two defenceman to that mix, while adding another asset or two.

Burke will likely offer plenty for the right to move up one spot so he can have yet another enigmatic winger. If he thinks he can build a champion around Kessel and Yakupov....I could see them having some great regular season production and then disappearing in the playoffs...and in a few years Yakupov getting tired of the TO media scrutiny and bolting for the KHL.

Really interesting perspective Grant. Its always nice to hear speculation from someone thats actually in the loop. As much as Yakupov may seem like the BPA in the draft at this time, im on your side in the sense that if Gally and him are there at 3, we take Gally.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:

1-EDM-Murray
2-CBJ-Galchenyuk
3-MTL-Teravainen
4-NYI-Dumba
5-TOR-Yakupov
6-ANA-Forsberg
7-MIN-Reinhart
8-CAR-Grigorenko
9-WPG-Rielly
10-TBL-Trouba
While I suppose that anything could happen, I really have a hard time seeing Yakupov available to us at 3 let alone to Toronto at 5..

06-17-2012, 10:47 AM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
While I suppose that anything could happen, I really have a hard time seeing Yakupov available to us at 3 let alone to Toronto at 5..
If he is available and TT passes, what's gonna happen to all those "Fail for Nail" people who flooded this forum all winter? Are we gonna hear the excuse:"Oh well, he wasn't that good to begin with."

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
tlureb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
No. I assure you, vernacular loses in translation. I suppose you gotta read it the way you read Mckagg's draft list to make any sense of it, ...bottom up. You know, Russian slant, Vodka and all...

tlureb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlureb View Post
No. I assure you, vernacular loses in translation. I suppose you gotta read it the way you read Mckagg's draft list to make any sense of it, ...bottom up. You know, Russian slant, Vodka and all...

Thank you for blessing us with your nonsensical polysyllabic rants, you are really contributing to the subject. I know where you can get some great mirror polish, I have a feeling you have lots of them.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:14 AM
PunkinDrublic*

I hope Tomas Hertl is available for a second pick.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:

If Yakupov does fall to 5th overall he becomes a Trojan Horse for Burkie. The media and fans in Leafland will be twisting themselves into knots trying to understand did they really get the best player at 5th and what did Burke miss and if everybody else passed then maybe he should have as well and they will draw up the "bust line" with Kadri and Colborne on the front page of the Toronto Sun.

"We got Nail but we expect to fail!"

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote