HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers qualify Del Zotto,Stralman and Zuccarello

Old
06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How is Bickel fine? When the coach doesn't trust to put you on the ice for more than 5 minutes in a triple OT game, you're not fine.

I'll repeat, they can't enter next season with both Bickel and Strälman in the line up every game.
what does that have anything to do with anything? bickel was being punished for the previous game at the start. by the end of the game it was way too tight to throw him in cold. his minutes went up after that. you're reading way too much into that. bickel was fine. strälman is way better, but bickel is a solid 6th/7th/8th defenseman if we don't have any better.

anyway-- it's nice to hear that these guys got their QO's. means that the team is at least somewhat interested in them. if zucc has the nhl out clause i wouldn't be surprised if he stays with gaborik's uncertainty. can only hope that strälman stays. mdz staying is pretty clear.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
what does that have anything to do with anything? bickel was being punished for the previous game at the start. by the end of the game it was way too tight to throw him in cold. his minutes went up after that. you're reading way too much into that. bickel was fine. strälman is way better, but bickel is a solid 6th/7th/8th defenseman if we don't have any better.
His minutes went up? He had an average time on ice for the playoffs of 5:09 (that's a quarter of a period.) And he was scratched for two games after that 3OT game.

You want to say that one game doesn't tell the full story, fine. What about the other 17?

06-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
His minutes went up? He had an average time on ice for the playoffs of 5:09 (that's a quarter of a period.) And he was scratched for two games after that 3OT game.

You want to say that one game doesn't tell the full story, fine. What about the other 17?
Not to mention getting minimal ice time and STILL getting goals scored on your TOI.

Guy is a bum, I wouldn't shed a tear if he is off the team next year. Torts certainly didn't think much of him in the playoffs.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:09 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
They definitely need to sign an experienced veteran for the bottom pair. I believe there will be affordable options out there. I'd look at Zanon, Sarich, even Eaton from the Islanders, who is very steady. He won a Cup with Pittsburgh. Bickel shouldn't be a regular, not for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations. Playing during the regular season is not the same as competing against the league's stronger teams every other night once the playoffs start. The Rangers played McDonagh and Girardi a ton of minutes and Bickel still managed to get exposed in the playoffs playing very little. Bickel as the 8th defenseman is about as far as I'd go.

I do not know much about Schultz but if he does end up signing with the Rangers, then maybe he could fit on the third pair at the beginning of the season paired with a stay-at-home vet. That would be assuming Sauer is still out and thus bumping Stralman (if he stays) and Bickel into the 7h and 8th defenseman slots. But there's a lot of "what ifs" there.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:18 PM
chip chipperson*

so i guess there is no way that bickel can get better? i think hes fine as the 6th or 7th dman.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Kubina, while slow, is a tough SOB and solid with bottom pairing minutes. If Kubina could be had for 1.3-1.8 for a year I'd be interested.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:20 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Not to mention getting minimal ice time and STILL getting goals scored on your TOI.

Guy is a bum, I wouldn't shed a tear if he is off the team next year. Torts certainly didn't think much of him in the playoffs.
He certainly did not. This is a list of the bottom 17 skaters in ice time per game during the playoffs. No coach in the league played a player for so little minutes yet so many games.

The Kings' #6 defenseman averaged 14:28 in the playoffs, even with Doughty playing 26 minutes a game, around the same amount Girardi played. Harrold on NJ averaged 15:31.

The Sauer injury woes this season coupled with the fact that Sather didn't acquire a veteran defenseman at the deadline was one of the factors that hurt the Rangers at the end. Girardi and McDonagh were gassed.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:31 PM
eco's bones

For a bottom pairing guy Bickel got decent minutes during the regular season--he added some badly needed grit to the back line. Does he need to improve? Yeah--I would think so--like practically all young players. Do I see him ever being more than a 6/7 guy? Not really--but that doesn't mean he can't play at all.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:38 PM
GamerZX101

I really liked Stralman last year. He gives us a little extra offense in place of a little less defense, which is a trade off we can absolutely afford to make.

He's a great bottom pairing/7th defenseman in my opinion. He's also useful because he's a righty and we don't know what's going on with Sauer. Besides Girardi (& McIlrath who is probably at least another year away) he's the only other one we have.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Who was the beat writer who said there's no chance we qualify Zuccarello? It seems he always gets stuff wrong.

06-16-2012, 01:45 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snouch View Post
so i guess there is no way that bickel can get better? i think hes fine as the 6th or 7th dman.
You can easily get someone better than Bickel though in free agency. We have enough grit on this team. I'd rather throw a cheap veteran back there or get someone like Schultz who has a ton of potential. I don't see Bickel getting any better, and he's not worth having around if Torts can't trust him in big situations. And honestly I don't blame Torts. Bickel is barely an NHL-caliber player. He has no place on a championship contending team.

What I will say is Bickel isn't a bad guy to have around in the AHL. If injuries start depleting out defenseman corps, then he's not a bad option to throw in as a 3rd pair right pairing guy or 7th d-man. But we go into the season with him in the starting lineup, we have major depth problems.

Who knows, maybe McIlrath will be ready mid-season. He's pretty much Bickel with much more upside and a hard shot thrown in.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
GamerZX101

Dennis Wideman would be my #1 choice if we can't get Schultz. And I'd even look into him if we are lucky enough to land Schultz.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Wideman
MDZ-Stralman/Sauer

Sign me up. Also gives us flexibility to move either Erixon and McIlrath (and possibly even Del Zotto if it's the right trade, although I'd be cautious) if we absolutely need to

Old
06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Stralman was great for us

If the intention is to actually have Stralman, Del Zotto, McDonagh and Staal all under contract though, I've gotta think the plan is to trade one of them. Neither Del Zotto or Stralman looked good on the right side, and I don't think they're going to spend $~1mil to keep Stralman as a 7th D. Stralman's gotta know he can either go back to Sweden and play or that he actually played good enough to be a 5th defenseman on a lot of teams in the league.

He really helped out our powerplay. More so than Del Zotto did last season.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Stralman was great for us

If the intention is to actually have Stralman, Del Zotto, McDonagh and Staal all under contract though, I've gotta think the plan is to trade one of them. Neither Del Zotto or Stralman looked good on the right side, and I don't think they're going to spend $~1mil to keep Stralman as a 7th D. Stralman's gotta know he can either go back to Sweden and play or that he actually played good enough to be a 5th defenseman on a lot of teams in the league.

He really helped out our powerplay. More so than Del Zotto did last season.

Stralman is a righty. I see him pairing with Del Zotto at the bottom pair.

McD-Girardi
Staal-???
MDZ-Stralman

We definitely need to add a top-4 d-man.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

What makes Stralman valuable is that while being a 5/6/7th defenseman, he can handle top line minutes if required. Something that Bickel/Eminger can not.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Calad
Section 422

I have no qualms with keeping Stralman on the squad for next year, he was solid

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
They can walk away from any arbitration ruling over $1,878,584 (by my calc) so there's minimal risk here. Easy decision, I would say.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Any chance they could get Rozsival back on the cheap for next year? Couldn't be too bad right?

06-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Any chance they could get Rozsival back on the cheap for next year? Couldn't be too bad right?
DIAF

if price was right i wouldn't mind him, but he's certainly not somebody i'd want to rely on in a top 4 role... let phoenix keep him

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Kubina, while slow, is a tough SOB and solid with bottom pairing minutes. If Kubina could be had for 1.3-1.8 for a year I'd be interested.
and is a physical dman with a hard shot.

sign both Kubina and Sarich. both were coached by Torts and I believe both played on the same pair at times...big upgrade over Bickel Eminger........resign Stralman is just as big as resigning Prust and Feds....Stralman is only 25 and is a solid 4-5 dman.

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Stalman/Sarich
Del Zotto Kubina/Erixon

8 dman on the roster....
Bickel first call up or gets claimed on waivers..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:11 PM
beastly115

I'd like Kubina but he might be too expensive and too many years.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:20 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
You can easily get someone better than Bickel though in free agency. We have enough grit on this team. I'd rather throw a cheap veteran back there or get someone like Schultz who has a ton of potential. I don't see Bickel getting any better, and he's not worth having around if Torts can't trust him in big situations. And honestly I don't blame Torts. Bickel is barely an NHL-caliber player. He has no place on a championship contending team.

What I will say is Bickel isn't a bad guy to have around in the AHL. If injuries start depleting out defenseman corps, then he's not a bad option to throw in as a 3rd pair right pairing guy or 7th d-man. But we go into the season with him in the starting lineup, we have major depth problems.

Who knows, maybe McIlrath will be ready mid-season. He's pretty much Bickel with much more upside and a hard shot thrown in.
i think your over rating how bad bickel is. hes an at best 3rd pairing rookie right now, i dont blame torts for not trusting him in big spots. But the game is not always played in big spots. bickel will get better, how much better, who knows. but to give up on a 3rd pairing rookie defensemen this quickly doesnt really make sense to me. i dont know if i trust del zotto in big spots either, but i don't want him gone.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:47 PM
SirKillalot

For those not that much into the contracts.

What's the difference between getting a qualifying offer that is a two-way contract vs. getting a qualifying offer being a one-way contract?

How do player earn it to be one-way? Is it age? Number of years in the NHL? Number of contracts?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
For those not that much into the contracts.

What's the difference between getting a qualifying offer that is a two-way contract vs. getting a qualifying offer being a one-way contract?

How do player earn it to be one-way? Is it age? Number of years in the NHL? Number of contracts?
if they have 180 NHL games in the previous 3 seasons, or played in 60 NHL games the previous season and not cleared waivers that season

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:40 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
if they have 180 NHL games in the previous 3 seasons, or played in 60 NHL games the previous season and not cleared waivers that season
OK! Thanks!

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote