HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Bernier Back

Old
06-15-2012, 05:47 AM
battlingBard56

vCash: 500
It would be nice if honesty could come back to the sport though... none of this turning at the last second bs, flopping around like fish out of water, acting like a sniper is in attendance crap.

"Doing whatever it takes" shouldn't include blatant dishonest hockey. I'm sad that, nowadays, that's what it means sometimes. Officials need to start calling embellishment and diving more often... and not take two players off for coincidental minors.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:10 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Wow that Doan call was twice as bad as the Bernier one even...Darren Pang did say in that clip if there's a boarding penalty and the guy's bleeding it's an automatic five minute call? Maybe the officials really had no choice since Scuderi's bleeding too, but if that's the case they got boxed in by a dumb rule then. Or Pang doesn't know the rule either.

As far as people killing the PK, the PK was barely at 70% the whole playoffs, they don't get the benefit of the doubt. Keep it to one or even two, please.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Darren Pang did say in that clip if there's a boarding penalty and the guy's bleeding it's an automatic five minute call? Maybe the officials really had no choice since Scuderi's bleeding too, but if that's the case they got boxed in by a dumb rule then. Or Pang doesn't know the rule either.
Pang is wrong (gasp!). The severity of the call is at the ref's discretion with boarding:
NHL Rule 41: Boarding

I was calling for a double-minor at most, but apparently it can only be a minor or a major. But the ref is supposed to take circumstances into account -->

Quote:
...in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Luke3026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
I got a reply as well.

Dano retweeted this link. Guy makes a good point:
Damn right. This year is a success story, not a failure.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
I got a reply as well.

Dano retweeted this link. Guy makes a good point:
Bernier's situation wasn't even nearly remotely close to Buckners or Bartman's

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:48 PM
KohoDonuts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Bernier's situation wasn't even nearly remotely close to Buckners or Bartman's
No, but it would be easy for some to treat it as such. Except we're not tainted with the stink of perpetual losing, so we don't need scapegoats.

KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
No, but it would be easy for some to treat it as such. Except we're not tainted with the stink of perpetual losing, so we don't need scapegoats.
People are just ****ing stupid

The way Scuderi turned last second aside, there is one thing different from the other 2 examples used out of the 3 by that guy - we were never up in the series or in that game

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:04 PM
KohoDonuts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
People are just ****ing stupid

The way Scuderi turned last second aside, there is one thing different from the other 2 examples used out of the 3 by that guy - we were never up in the series or in that game
I don't think they're comparable either, to me the main point is losers need scapegoats.

Though as an aside, the whole Bartman thing seemed blown out of proportion by Cubs fans. Poor *******. About a dozen schmucks reaching for that ball, he's the one with the bad luck to have touched it. Anyway, baseball sucks.

KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:42 PM
apice3*

The only "if this then that" call regarding boarding is that a 5 minute major is an automatic game misconduct and ejection. The blood only dictates a double minor as per usual penalty call.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:46 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
The only "if this then that" call regarding boarding is that a 5 minute major is an automatic game misconduct and ejection. The blood only dictates a double minor as per usual penalty call.
Read rule 41. There is no double minor for boarding. It goes from 2 to 5.

DatBoyJPP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:49 AM
sbresistor

Bernier's penalty did not cost us games 1 to 3 which were all losses
Bernier's penalty could have been killed off without allowing 3 goals
Devils lost the game 6-1 (4-1 b4 empty net was scored)
score was 0-0 at the time of penalty
Devils still would have had to win game 6 and 7 had there been no Bernier penalty

the penalty sucked, but not the main reason Devils lost the series

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post

Bernier's penalty did not cost us games 1 to 3 which were all losses
Bernier's penalty could have been killed off without allowing 3 goals
Devils lost the game 6-1 (4-1 b4 empty net was scored)
score was 0-0 at the time of penalty
Devils still would have had to win game 6 and 7 had there been no Bernier penalty

the penalty sucked, but not the main reason Devils lost the series
If you don't think that the major penalty dictated the outcome of that game 6 (which was the series for NJ), well I don't know what to tell you.

Scuderi turns his back at the last second. Zero judgement from the officials on this call because they ****ing suck balls at what they do. Missed call on Volchenkov on same delayed penalty. Arguable missed call on Gionta just prior to "major" penalty being called. BLATANT missed penalty on Kovy when he was mugged on the ice while Kings were on said major powerplay. 3rd goal was a direct result of this mugging. Last but not least, the linesman sets a basketball pick on Volchenkov which lead to 4th goal seconds later. 47 to 6 in penalty minutes.

But okay, the officiating had nothing to do with this game. At all. Devils clearly just played an awful game and didn't deserve a chance to play an even game with the Kings. Yup, it's the penalty kill's fault. They clearly cost them the game. No extenuating circumstances here.

Maybe the Devils lose Game 6 anyways. Who knows? But that's the damn point!! We'll never know!! You just never know what could have happened in that same game and the rest of the series had the officiating not been absolutely horrid.

I won't blame the series loss on the officials because maybe the Kings win anyways. I'll let the Kings have their moment. But NJ got ****ing jobbed on Monday night. I just cant see how that's even arguable at this point.

Sir Fenwick Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:08 AM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
If you don't think that the major penalty dictated the outcome of that game 6 (which was the series for NJ), well I don't know what to tell you.

Scuderi turns his back at the last second. Zero judgement from the officials on this call because they ****ing suck balls at what they do. Missed call on Volchenkov on same delayed penalty. Arguable missed call on Gionta just prior to "major" penalty being called. BLATANT missed penalty on Kovy when he was mugged on the ice while Kings were on said major powerplay. 3rd goal was a direct result of this mugging. Last but not least, the linesman sets a basketball pick on Volchenkov which lead to 4th goal seconds later. 47 to 6 in penalty minutes.

But okay, the officiating had nothing to do with this game. At all. Devils clearly just played an awful game and didn't deserve a chance to play an even game with the Kings. Yup, it's the penalty kill's fault. They clearly cost them the game. No extenuating circumstances here.

Maybe the Devils lose Game 6 anyways. Who knows? But that's the damn point!! We'll never know!! You just never know what could have happened in that same game and the rest of the series had the officiating not been absolutely horrid.

I won't blame the series loss on the officials because maybe the Kings win anyways. I'll let the Kings have their moment. But NJ got ****ing jobbed on Monday night. I just cant see how that's even arguable at this point.

Good Post ^ That said bring Bernier back

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:35 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
Good Post ^ That said bring Bernier back

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Billdo

I am a huge proponent of bring Bernier back. He was a former first round pick and he's still young. He gave us solid minutes, forechecked the hell out the opposition, and has offensive skill to boot. If he can channel some of what made him a first round pick it would be awesome. Even if he cant, what he brings to our team is something we've needed in the past. He's a solid overall player, good speed, and takes the body. I even wished he played on the second line in place of Clarkson most of the playoffs. I think a full year with some skilled players could be huge. If hes the only one from the 4th line we sign I'd be happy. Bernier, Carter, Gionta would be the order if all 3 cant be retained, and I dont think they all can. Carter earned himself a pay raise and I am sure someone will pay him more than we will. Put Bernier with say Henrique in the middle and Elias on the LW and thats a solid defensive line with + offensive capabilities.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:22 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

This team needs a Bernier, I really hope they try to keep him.
Also have to take into consideration that game 6 will be on his mind the entire summer... he's going to play with something to prove when the season comes around. The 4th line already plays with a lot of heart and energy, this might add a new dimension to it.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote