HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs would like to keep Moen

Old
06-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Issacar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Isaacar, I believe if the cap is drastically lowered it will come with a rollback on player salaries.

I think it's a certainty there's a lockout next season, hopefully it doesn't last the whole season...
If the lowered cap doesn't come with a rollback on salaries plenty of teams will be ****ed in the arse. Not sure if the lockout will really extend long enough to cost some season games.

Main issue : lots of teams with struggling fanbase will lose their fans. Also, lots of teams already losing money will only lose even more money by forfeiting the season. Most players weren't around in the previous lockout, can they afford to not play next season?

I heard some experts mentionning that if the NHL toss in a 2 teams expansion during the CBA talks with the NHLPA, the fact that 46 mroe jobs will be opened for players will help them swallow the pill of the new CBA.

In the last lockouts, teams had more to gain by forfeiting the season then to give in to the players. This time around, I feel that both sides has more to lose then to win and they will find an agreement quickly.

I see the NHL being in the same kind of situation as the NFL last year...

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'd love to see him back with the Habs. Perhaps a 3 year contract, $2.2 million per year. He's a key to the third line with Eller. Add another big bodied winger that can skate and our forwards look more like a top 9 rather than a top 6, bottom 6 formation.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Patty Roy

I'm definitely all for keeping Moen. A 3 year deal in the 1.5 to 2.0 per season range should get it done.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Moen is a very good fighter, will never look out of place against anyone. Two years ago he destroyed Chris Neil in pre-season, he never looked bad against anyone. To me he's better than Staubitz.
To me Staubitz is the better fighter out of the 2, simply because Moen is an all around player while Staubitz had to built his career around fighting.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Problem with keeping Moen is that even for him, you might have teams overpaying him. Should we go down that road? Let's hope for a real hometown discount.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
If the lowered cap doesn't come with a rollback on salaries plenty of teams will be ****ed in the arse. Not sure if the lockout will really extend long enough to cost some season games.

Main issue : lots of teams with struggling fanbase will lose their fans. Also, lots of teams already losing money will only lose even more money by forfeiting the season. Most players weren't around in the previous lockout, can they afford to not play next season?

I heard some experts mentionning that if the NHL toss in a 2 teams expansion during the CBA talks with the NHLPA, the fact that 46 mroe jobs will be opened for players will help them swallow the pill of the new CBA.

In the last lockouts, teams had more to gain by forfeiting the season then to give in to the players. This time around, I feel that both sides has more to lose then to win and they will find an agreement quickly.

I see the NHL being in the same kind of situation as the NFL last year...
Your first point is exactly why there will be a rollback. If next years cap is lower than this years there will be a rollback.

I sure hope there's no expansion, watered down enough as is.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:41 PM
MXD

Meh...
Moen's job should be on a 4th line.
Let's hope that they play to play him there. And no longer than 2 seasons.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Problem with keeping Moen is that even for him, you might have teams overpaying him. Should we go down that road? Let's hope for a real hometown discount.
No. If we're going to overpay for a bottom 6 forward I'd do it for Gaustad.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:42 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No. If we're going to overpay for a bottom 6 forward I'd do it for Gaustad.
Why not both?

Although I persoanlly have no interest in Gaustad, overrated because of his size.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Your first point is exactly why there will be a rollback. If next years cap is lower than this years there will be a rollback.

I sure hope there's no expansion, watered down enough as is.
Seattle and Québec City will have NHL teams, it won't be through relocations.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:47 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Seattle and Québec City will have NHL teams, it won't be through relocations.
We'll see I guess.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Why not both?

Although I persoanlly have no interest in Gaustad, overrated because of his size.
But greatly rated because of his faceoff percentage. We keep being ridiculized in that department.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Why not both?

I'd take both.

Gaustad is great on faceoffs and he's been a solid shutdown centre for a while now.

He defends teammates and knows when he played like a ***** and tries to correct it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Issacar

Why did I had the impression that Moen had a 3.2M$ cap hit with the Canadiens?!? Just checked it out and it's half of that amount

Old
06-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Craig71

Lets sign him for 2 years at 1.5-1.8 mill per season. He is a winner and a good physical presence that can do some heavy lifting when needed, also an excellent penalty killer that can score 10 goals a year. In todays NHL he is a much needed player, this Travis Eller.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I'd take both.

Gaustad is great on faceoffs and he's been a solid shutdown centre for a while now.

He defends teammates and knows when he played like a ***** and tries to correct it.
Does Gaustad even play center?

I know he takes faceoffs, but with Nashville he was playing wing other than on the PK.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Does Gaustad even play center?

I know he takes faceoffs, but with Nashville he was playing wing other than on the PK.
Gausted had the 2nd most number of faceoffs for Nashville in the playoffs.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Lets sign him for 2 years at 1.5-1.8 mill per season. He is a winner and a good physical presence that can do some heavy lifting when needed, also an excellent penalty killer that can score 10 goals a year. In todays NHL he is a much needed player, this Travis Eller.
No way Moen signs that cheap.

I'd like to see them split the difference on money and term, Skorpion said 3 years 2.2 per year.

I like that.

I'd have no problem going 4 years 2 even, or 3 years 2.5 per year.

If Moen isn't retained than that means lots more PK minutes for an offensive guy on the team.

Moen-Eller-Bourque
White-Gaustad-Geoffrion

I like it

Old
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gausted had the 2nd most number of faceoffs for Nashville in the playoffs.
And if you read my post you'll see that I said "I know he takes faceoffs, but he was playing on the wing with Nashville"

Old
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I prefer like his last deal 3 years 4.2-4.5 mil.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
And if you read my post you'll see that I said "I know he takes faceoffs, but he was playing on the wing with Nashville"
I thought you meant "I know that he's a guy who used to take faceoff and play center but he was on the wings in Nashville". So what you're saying is that he was always interchanging position on every shifts? I don't remember seeing that, yet I guess I wasn't paying too much attention to it either. But in Buffalo, he was playing center.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:09 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
I'd offer him a raise, I think he deserves 2 mil on a 3 year contract. Besides, think how MiG would feel if we let him go.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:44 PM
habitue*

Quote:
More term for less money.

To me, he's a great team guy, tough, can score, great on the pk and a leader. I'd look at something like 4 years 1 millish. Gives him security. Though, either way he'd be in the nhl.
He won't sign for that.

Maybe 3 years - 5 million total.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Back in all the deadline dealing discussions, I was presuming that I'd have a ceiling of around $1.75M for Moen. A little raise for inflation's sake, but really, nothing much more. But look at the deals Gregory Campbell and Jim Slater just signed. I think Moen has a tad more pedigree than them, and the Habs always have to put a little premium on top for taxes too. So maybe $2M is a more realistic ceiling. Or $2.2M. It sounds like a lot, but I guess that's what players are earning this day.

So say $6.6M/3yrs, tops. Mostly just because we're so desperate to solidify the bottom-6. Moen is too much of what we don't have already, it's worth a little more just to keep him around and forego the effort of finding a replacement.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:01 PM
OpenIceHit

The article says he wants to sign long term. 3 years is not long term. On top of that, he's 30, he knows it will be his most lucrative contract. He won't take the chance to sign only 3 years and negotiate a new contract at 33.

4 years at 2.5M per.
5 years at 2.2M per.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote