HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Development Camp

Old
06-16-2012, 01:29 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
What the Habs need - as any other teams would too - is a SKATING coach.(full time ? part time ?)

That's the very basic of hockey and many players arriving at NHL level or already there should improve tyhis aspect of their game.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I am not expecting more from him. A good third line center with energy and grit with some leadership. A bit like a Max Talbot. And Bournival is a touch taller and bigger.
I don't see as much grit in his game. I mean, in his worst days, we could maybe expect a Éric Bélanger out of Bournival.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
So, to recap:

1.) He won't finish his degree

2.) Being that the number of things you could transfer to from recreation is fairly limited, that degree is probably worthless anyways.

I think the kid's full of ****, personally.
Kristo never said it was to finish is degree. It's to wona National championship.

Journalists and uneducated people assumed it was to finish is degree and than smart educated peopel liek you go ona rant to bash him for things he did not say or do

Man is this board getting weaker and dumber by the minute

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Canadiens View Post
In a game situation perhaps, yes. My assessments aren't ratings overall of prospects; only how they performed on drills here in camp. Bournival's skating wasn't weak, but it didn't stand out as much as, say, Avtsin's or Kristo's. And while Bournival can move around quickly enough, I wouldn't describe his skating technique as "very very good." He often makes himself small, getting very low to the ice, in order to add power to his strides.

Generally a guy who bends so much would be regarded as a positive. The problem with Bournival is, he isn't the biggest to begin with, so I have some concern on how his skating will look against larger pro athletes.

Still, I wouldn't say his skating is a huge weakness in his game. My concern is more over the consistency of his skills. He shows flashes, then will be completely unnoticeable for a long stretch. Which is why he seems like a very safe prospect, but as I mention, his upside seems to be that of a third liner.
Weird, everytime I watched the Bulldogs play, Avtsin's skating always seemed weak to me. No first step at all, made his dangling useless because he couldn't get away from anyone.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Its his life, if the kid thinks it would be better for him to spend another year there Im fine with, kids have different levels of maturity and developmental curves, Kristo will jump pro when he feels ready for it and we have to respect it..
People were still wondering why Zach parise was still with North Dakota at 20 years old. Dany Kirsot yis not Zach Parise and there is no reason to rpess Krisot into becoming a bust. I believe like you, Kristo might have a slower learning curve and if he doesn't feel ready to make the jump, that's for him to know and for me to respect that decision.

I'll start wondering about his dedication if he's still at North Dakota in 4 years.

Also saying that the Fighting SIoux has no chance to win a national championship really does not know that they are talking about. Some college experts are saying that they should go to the Frozen Four tournament next season

Last edited by Issacar: 06-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
As for Kristo I never heard that about the GM part, everything I heard was that he wants to win a National Championship but believe what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Kristo said himself this week that he talked to Timmins and he was ok with him going back and wanting to win a championship. You're a good poster but sometimes you let your emotions take ove r too much.
What emotions? Here's the facts....starts at around 0:35 till the end.

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=181473

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I was talking about this quote,

From what I heard it's the main reason why he wanted to return so based off what i heard it's not pure ficition.
My mistake. I didn't say it properly. I was not saying that he didn't say that, that it was pure fiction that he said it. I know he did. I was saying that ND winning a championship, is, as far as I'm concerned, pure fiction. But I guess that before a season starts, eveyr team has a chance right? But analysing the team and the rest of the league, I don't see it for ND.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'm glad I don't root for an organization that tries to pressure a kid into not getting his college degree. Is he talking some meaningless major? Who knows, but it shows loyalty IMO. He wants to finish something he started, both in terms of his schooling and in terms of potentially winning something big next year. Can't believe people would knock something like this....honestly so sad.
Habs are in the business of winning hockey games. If it was true, every NCAA guy would finish his degree so are you actually blaming ALL those teams and players that don't finish their degree? Is Kristo a bottom-tier prospect who cleary doesn't have a whole lof of chances to play in this league? If the answer to that is yes, well, OF COURSE, finish your degree all you want, that's about the only thing you'll be able to do. But not Kristo. The kid WILL play in the NHL. With a serious option of becoming a top 6 player. Maybe not a perfect top 6, but top 6 nonetheless. At what age are those guys ending their career? 35? Is it too late to finish it? There's no live after that? Again, history shows that players who finish their degree are truly late-bloomers, guys who in the end won't be making a great career after all or exceptions. Not the norm. I wished he would have been the norm.

Oh and it's not about PRESSURING the kids. Often you hear the kids saying "I'll do what the organization believes is best for my development". You do hear that sometimes right? Well, I would have wished Kristo would have had that in mind. And if he did, I wished the organization would have had in mind to believe that for his development, coming over was the best thing to do. That's all.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old
06-16-2012, 02:58 PM
No Team Needed

I'm all for younger players getting their degrees now.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Issacar

But then agian, are you saying that every players become relevant at 22 years old? Alffie is still a top player in the NHL at 40. Some players also pan out later then others and expand their career further then other forwards (Martin St-louis).

There are also players who are pushed in a level of competition higher then they are ready and stop developping because of that (Carey Price struggled early in his NHL career becuase he wasn't ready for the level, shoulda spent 1-2 seasons in the AHL).

I don't know what Danny Kristo learning curve is, but at this point I don't think he is AHL ready. Just to begin with, he still needs to add weight on his shape.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
But then agian, are you saying that every players become relevant at 22 years old? Alffie is still a top player in the NHL at 40. Some players also pan out later then others and expand their career further then other forwards (Martin St-louis).

There are also players who are pushed in a level of competition higher then they are ready and stop developping because of that (Carey Price struggled early in his NHL career becuase he wasn't ready for the level, shoulda spent 1-2 seasons in the AHL).

I don't know what Danny Kristo learning curve is, but at this point I don't think he is AHL ready. Just to begin with, he still needs to add weight on his shape.
You're saying he's not AHL ready, and I'm saying he's too good for NCAA. While I don't agree with you as far as not being AHL ready, I'm going to say that for a development purpose, he would get some quality minutes in a tougher league while he is wasting his time in the NCAA. Contrary to guys like Avtsin or Pribyl for example who would not have wasted their time in the CHL, don't believe they'd be crushing the opposition.

One of the great reasons why people say that NCAA is great, is because of the off-ice improvement through the gym and all which clearly MacMillan has used to his advantage but did Kristo used it? We're saying he needs more muscles on his frame.....so he'd put in 1 year what he didn't seem to be able to put too much in 3? I believe that while he'd have more games to deal with in the AHL, with a reformed organization like Montreal and new coaching staff, he'd get getting his exercices off-ice as well.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:12 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=117073

He sounds open to signing a pro contract in that interview.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Issacar

I also believe that until you haven't burnt the level of competition you are (Kristo hasn't burnt the NCAA), you still have something to learn. What is Kristo going to leanr and why isn't he going to waste his time?

He's going to be a leader figure in his locker room, an experience he couldn't get at AHL level at this point. He's going to be an offensive pillar on which his team will rely to get them further, an experience he couldn't get at AHL level at this point.

Also, Kristo wouldn't get top minute in the AHL, there are many players with the Bulldogs who are way ahead of him. As a matter of fact, he'd struggle just to get bottom line ice time.

Compare MacMillan body and Kristo body and you'll have one of your answer as to why Kristo hasn't put up the weight by now. Also, no one matures physically at the same rate. A human being will reach his physical peak around 26-28 years old. Kristo is not there yet.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:18 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I also believe that until you haven't burnt the level of competition you are (Kristo hasn't burnt the NCAA), you still have something to learn. What is Kristo going to leanr and why isn't he going to waste his time?

He's going to be a leader figure in his locker room, an experience he couldn't get at AHL level at this point. He's going to be an offensive pillar on which his team will rely to get them further, an experience he couldn't get at AHL level at this point.

Also, Kristo wouldn't get top minute in the AHL, there are many players with the Bulldogs who are way ahead of him. As a matter of fact, he'd struggle just to get bottom line ice time.

Compare MacMillan body and Kristo body and you'll have one of your answer as to why Kristo hasn't put up the weight by now. Also, no one matures physically at the same rate. A human being will reach his physical peak around 26-28 years old. Kristo is not there yet.
That's pure speculation, he'd be the most gifted offensive player on that team, appart from Louis if he doesn't make the NHL.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He sounds open to signing a pro contract in that interview.
My point was for people who was wondering where did I take the idea that he didn't joined the Habs based of the uncertainty of our management. At 0:35 he explains that it has to do with it. That's all.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:26 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
My point was for people who was wondering where did I take the idea that he didn't joined the Habs based of the uncertainty of our management. At 0:35 he explains that it has to do with it. That's all.
I thought it was common knowledge.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I thought it was common knowledge.
Not to everybody it seems, and that's fine. We can't know everything. Reason why this board exist.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:33 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=117073

That is the good link, the one you have is from 2011.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post

That is the good link, the one you have is from 2011.
Thanks man. Just corrected it in my post as well.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Issacar

Quote:
That's pure speculation, he'd be the most gifted offensive player on that team, appart from Louis if he doesn't make the NHL.
Gabriel Dumont struggled to have ice time in the AHL these past 2 seasons, until injuries started to factor in his favour during last season.

Speculation? To have a good atmosphere to develop players, you need to have success and I don't think that the having Kristo on a top line with the Bulldogs would do the team justice.

At this point I'd believe that all these Right wings are above Kristo with the Bulldogs : Palushaj, Gallagher, Holland, Avtsin. You could also make a case for Quailer and Berger.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Gabriel Dumont struggled to have ice time in the AHL these past 2 seasons, until injuries started to factor in his favour during last season.

Speculation? To have a good atmosphere to develop players, you need to have success and I don't think that the having Kristo on a top line with the Bulldogs would do the team justice.

At this point I'd believe that all these Right wings are above Kristo with the Bulldogs : Palushaj, Gallagher, Holland, Avtsin. You could also make a case for Quailer and Berger.
I could totally envision Kristo playing left wing in the Pros. With the wrist shot he has, he loves to fly on the left wing, cut down in the center to give himself more possibilities to shoot and rips it.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:45 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:

Palushaj would have a spot before Kristo, Gallagher would have a shot, but Holland and AVTSIN would not.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Kristo never said it was to finish is degree. It's to wona National championship.

Journalists and uneducated people assumed it was to finish is degree and than smart educated peopel liek you go ona rant to bash him for things he did not say or do

Man is this board getting weaker and dumber by the minute
UND had a better shot at a national championship last year than this coming year and Kristo knows it. I don't think Kristo is going to be any further ahead for his efforts this year at UND, and I think he knows that too. Hamilton might even have a better shot at the Calder than UND has at the national championship.

The obvious step forward was to sign his first pro contract, and move to a higher level after his successful campaign this year. For whatever reason he's not taking it.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Issacar

Quote:
I could totally envision Kristo playing left wing in the Pros. With the wrist shot he has, he loves to fly on the left wing, cut down in the center to give himself more possibilities to shoot and rips it.
Can he adapt to a new position? Not saying he can't, but not everyone can. Also I have issue transforming a RW into a LW when the RW pool at NHL level is rather thin.

Also I'd rank Geoffrion, Conboy, Slaney and Massé before Kristo on LW.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Palushaj would have a spot before Kristo, Gallagher would have a shot, but Holland and AVTSIN would not.
Holland is further in his development then Kristo is. Avtsin has more AHL experience, right now it's his spot to lose and until the camp starts you can't write off Avtsin.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
UND had a better shot at a national championship last year than this coming year and Kristo knows it. I don't think Kristo is going to be any further ahead for his efforts this year at UND, and I think he knows that too. Hamilton might even have a better shot at the Calder than UND has at the national championship.

The obvious step forward was to sign his first pro contract, and move to a higher level after his successful campaign this year. For whatever reason he's not taking it.
Imo, UND has a better shot at National Championship then the Bulldogs have one with the Calder Cup. The Bulldogs will be too young to win the championship.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Also I'd rank Geoffrion, Conboy, Slaney and Massé before Kristo on LW.
Seriously? Well we'll stop right there 'cause to me, that makes no sense whatsoever. Only think they got him is experience. Yet, they'll always have more experience than him until we throw them out. But if Slaney is still playing for us we are in deep trouble. And I never thought Massé was a real player for us but just a response at the time to the Bruins getting Riendeau. Conboy? Well that's intriguing 'cause you actually need to know soon what he can do for you in a higher level if he'll ever be able to do something. But at the end of the day, maybe minus Geoffrion, Kristo would gradually be a key player for the Dogs. But hey that's just a matter of opinion I guess.