HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft: Wants and Needs

Old
06-16-2012, 10:02 AM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
This is the first time in the past decade that I am completely ambivalent about this draft.

If you account for the following:

1. The player we draft won't play for a few years
2. There's about a 25% chance that the pick will bust, a 50% chance that he will be a serviceable NHL player and a 25% chance that he will exceed expectations (10% chance of stardom)
3. There is a good chance that (because of the point we are at in this franchise's development) the player will be traded before he ever puts on the sweater

I just can't find myself getting into it much. Haven't researched any prospects - couldn't tell you who we should pick and why...

Honestly, it's a refreshing change from the usual "we NEED to get a good player here" draft angst.
My feelings as well on this draft.
Hell, I wouldn't mind trading off the pick actually to get some top 6 help, possibly.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
This is the first time in the past decade that I am completely ambivalent about this draft.

If you account for the following:

1. The player we draft won't play for a few years
2. There's about a 25% chance that the pick will bust, a 50% chance that he will be a serviceable NHL player and a 25% chance that he will exceed expectations (10% chance of stardom)
3. There is a good chance that (because of the point we are at in this franchise's development) the player will be traded before he ever puts on the sweater

I just can't find myself getting into it much. Haven't researched any prospects - couldn't tell you who we should pick and why...

Honestly, it's a refreshing change from the usual "we NEED to get a good player here" draft angst.
This is all good, since feeling this way means we're actually trying to succeed now!

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I never implied that Yakupov wasn't a good playmaker, but RNH is an amazing playmaker. It's true that right now, yakupov is better than RNH was last season. But we've seen what RNH can do in the NHL now. So there's no point in basing a comparison off of last season. Simply put, if Yakupov turns out better, then he'll be one of the top handful of forwards in the league. If you believe that, fine, I'm not ready to go there yet. I think conservatively saying RNH projects to be better in the long run is perfectly reasonable right now. Saying Yakupov will be better is the bold statement.
I wouldn't say it was bold. It's entirely plausible. Both will be excellent players, and i think no one would be suprised if Yakupov turned out to be better, or the reverse. I absolutely expect Yakupov to become one of the best Forwards in the world.

Quote:
wasn't making any definitive assertions, merely speculating what could be the cause of his fall in the rankings. The scouts are dropping him down lists for a reason. And we all know it's because of his perceived character flaws. Maybe his case is similar to Daigle's and we don't know it yet. Maybe it isn't. But you can't definitively rule it out.
Character flaws is not the correct term. On ice work ethic is a better description. I think he falls at the draft (Him and Dumba are the 2 i expect to fall), but i don't believe that him falling is correct. I expect it to happen.

Quote:
Having the necessary drive doesn't mean you have to play like Callahan, but it does mean you should display consistency more often than Grigs has shown in N.A. and for a 6'3" guy he should throw his body around a little more. I'm not saying having a little ice water in the veins is a bad thing, but a mummified corpse in frozen tundra is another. I don't blame the scouts one bit for their perception of him. If they just pretended like everything was hunky-dory and glossed over these concerns, they wouldn't be doing their job. Lottery picks can make or break a rebuild, this is pretty important stuff to consider.
Consistency? You mean the consistency he couldn't show due to an ankle injury or mono. Pre World Junior, he was consisently excellent. Grigorenko plays a very celebral game. He won't appear to be energetic all the time. There are legitimate excuses for the concerns that exist, and given the skill-set is one of the best available, i think it's a mistake to pass on such a talent.

Quote:
I didn't say that. I said if he doesn't up his game in the departments that are lacking right now, I don't think he'll become a star. No one can reach the heights of the game on talent alone. Think of every big star that has ever played, they all had an unrelenting passion for the game and displayed intensity and strong work ethic. I don't care how much talent you have, if you don't want it bad enough you won't dominate on the ice. Frolik had a ton of talent too, how's he doing right now? I could name a ton of examples, some I've named already. How would Grigs be any different?
I can think of many stars who on the ice don't play a particularly energetic game. Of course dedication and hard work is required, and Grigorenko will certainly need to train hard and take it seriously.

Frolik isn't close to being the type of talent Grigorenko is. He lacks finishing ability to be an NHL offensive player. He's also soft, which is a problem the smaller you are. Grigorenko isn't particularly physical, but the reach and the size mean he has an inherent advantage that many other players do not have.

Quote:
That's nonsense. Have you seen Philly's lineup lately? Couturier would be a top 6 center on our team without a doubt. He was an 18 year old rookie who scored 27 pts. playing with 4th liners. how wouldn't he have cracked at least 40 pts. if playing with top 6 wingers? Your whole argument on this point is extremely weak. Pair Weiss with Rinaldo, Shelley, etc. and idk if he'd even score 27 pts. Certainly he wouldn't fare much better if so.
He scored 27 points. The way people discuss his season, you'd have thought he had produced alot more.

Quote:
Larsson? Please. He was healthy scratched in some games and in the playoffs he was scratched for most of it in favor of Peter "studhorse" Harrold. He clearly did not transition to the NHL as fast as a lot of people thought he was going to. There is no certainty wrt Huberdeau vs. Couturier. You seem to have a big bias against Couturier. Bartschi over Couturier? Erm, no. Strome and Zibanejad have done nothing yet to show that they should be considered better than Couturier. They are both solid prospects, and I do like Zibby a lot, but yeah, that's how it works. When you have a great rookie NHL season then usually you should look more favorable long term than anyone still in junior no matter pretty much what they do there.
You're speaking in absolutes. It isn't wise. Larsson is going to be an absolute workhorse, but began to struggle towards the end of the year. I'd personally take Larsson over Couturier without thinking too hard for the next 15 years. Your arguments for Couturier here are nonsensical. Not once have you discussed any of the players in-depth. I'd take the opinion more seriously, but instead you accuse someone of a bias (If a bias is simply an opinion of somebody being overstated in their ability, sure) and say various players cannot possibly be better than Couturier. I like Bartschi's offensive game alot, and think he'll be a star. He's a better offensive zone player than Couturier. Zibanejad i am more lukewarm on, but we shall see how he translates next year.

Quote:
There's more to hockey than just goals and assists. 'Pure skill' is just one facet of the game. I can see now why you disfavor Couturier so much. You can't say you think player A projects to be better long term than player B because player A has more pure skill, and ignore everything else. Most players only have the puck for a couple minutes or less in total of the game. What you do for the rest of it is very important too. Zibby and Couturier should certainly be perceived to be just as good technically as Forsberg and Teravainen right now, and even if the scales tip slightly one way or the other, it's a very minute difference.
If hockey sense, puck skills, playming etc are "pure skills", and are not important, then perhaps i am in the wrong game ...

This particular argument isn't going anywhere. I prefer some players technical abilities and overall offensive game and how it will translate to the NHL over Couturier. No amount of pedantic cycling around an oval is going to change my opinion.

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of the point though. We've got a taste of the 2011 class now. So there's no use in pretending we don't and going back to last year. The 2012 crop of top end forwards has shown me nothing to suggest that they are all superstar talent or something and are good enough to be considered better than the likely Calder winner, the likely Calder runner-up, and a number of other very promising players. If the 2012 class had 5 forwards like Yakupov, then I'd be singing a different tune, but it doesn't. Forsberg, Teravainen, and Grigs hardly blow me away.
That is because you either haven't really seen them (European based) or because they haven't played in the NHL yet. Thus it is somewhat fallicious. Citing a Calder winner etc ... the players listed haven't had the opportunity to compete for such an accolade. Ironically, a year ago, one could simply implement the above paragraph and say 2011 cannot possibly be as strong as 2010. The above is basically anti-scouting/anti-thinking.

Quote:
Ugh. I never preseumed to guess who takes who. I listed a general order, which is basically the same as creating tiers. This is a very weak straw man argument you started with me in the first place.
I actually wasn't saying you were, rather, that i see it commonly done by fans on this board.

Quote:
Yeah, because we had 3 more prospects than we have now. But as years pass by, you evaluate and see who is progressing worthy enough of keeping and who you should let go. If you are fine with having 3, maybe 2 goaltending prospects heading into next season, that's fine, but I think you might be the only Panthers fan.
There is a difference between saying i don't believe it's tactically astute to use a 1st round pick on a Goaltender, and saying we shouldn't draft Goaltenders. I am fine with us taking a Goalie or two at the draft.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
First of all, I applaud you for taking the time to write that up, and it's a very insightful breakdown. But the results that I took away from it were slightly different from what you came away with. I broke it down into 3 groups: 1)Busts(or what we can logically label as pretty much busted), 2)OK/or still not sure goalies, and 3)Successes, or at least those who look like they have very promising NHL careers in some cases.
Sure. The study is very crude, and needs more indepth analysis with more parameters. A cross comparison of other rounds would be useful.

What the study does highlight well is that Goalies take along time to develop. Waiting 8 years (Schnieder), or 6 years for Rask, Irving etc is a long long time. If there isn't any significant difference in availability of good goaltenders via other routes (later rounds of the draft, FA) then, it seems unwise to take on an investment that takes so long to flourish (If it ever does).

Quote:
In the 1)category I have 2 busts, Schwarz and Pickard.

2)5 goalies. Montoya, Dubnyk, Helenius, Irving, and McCollum. McCollum is treading dangerous territory, but then again I could have put Irving in the 3rd category if I was feeling really optimistic, as he's shown good steady progression and he was great in his first NHL callup stint. If Montoya can get back to his 10-11 form, he would move to the 3rd category.

3)5 goalies. Schneider, Price, Rask, Bernier, Varlamov.

So what I came away with was that there are more successes than busts. And wrt the 2nd category, even if you get a low level starter/backup, that's not a bad thing. You can always use a good backup. If you have a backup who can realistically push your starter, and they're on a cheap contract, it's even better.
There should be 3 groups, named success, undetermined and bust. Within the undetermined list you could have a tiers based on defined masurements for promise.

You are not applying success correctly, and you again, are ignoring the length of time it has taken (Which is very important). The only true success in that list is Price. Varlamov will need a larger bulk of work before we can determine where he qualifies in our lost. Scheider hasn't played nearly enough games to know whether he qualifies as a success. Bernier isn't close to being deemed a success yet. I know they look sexy prospects, and that they could be high end Goalies, but when defining success, one must be relatively strict with the measurements. I would think that is fairly obvious.

The 2nd group should be undetermined. Some look highly promising (Schneider for example). Others look very tenious. Helenius has returned to NA, but remains a long-shot. Montoya is a journeyman, and not a ringing endorsement for using a 1st round pick on him.

A couple of other points, Helenius has come back over. TB signed him to a 2 way deal a couple days ago. And Varlamov has been a starter for more than just 1 year. He was clearly the starter in Washington for a couple years, although he did have some injuries.

Quote:
The tests do give an insight into how a prospect could potentially perform on the ice in the future. Combine test results have influenced picks before.
Huberdeau had apparently a bad combine. Results at the combine aren't really that important for projecting there NHL future. What someones vertical jump is doesn't particularly matter. It's more about showing a committment to getting the best results possible. I don't doubt combine tests have influenced before, but i don't think they are that important going forward.

Quote:
Not true. Campbell was great in the WJC this year and his OHL season was much better compared to last. In total, yes, he has been slightly disappointing post-draft, but you are allowed to have one bad year. He is clearly going in the right direction now.
World Junior success isn't really that important, and as various Goaltenders over the years have shown, isn't neccessairly an indicator for future success. His body of work in the OHL this year was solid, but not spectacular. He's a good Goaltending prospect, but the status he gained during his draft year does not equate to his actual on ice performances. There are various Goaltending prospects in the last 2 years taken outside the 1st round, who are as likely to be a good Goaltender in the NHL one day.

Quote:
Come on, Lundqvist will probably win the Vezina, and he probably should have won it before also. You can't tell me they wouldn't have made a difference. Lundqvist has been great in the playoffs so far in his career, aside from team success, which isn't that shabby either. Miller was at one time considered the best in the league. Nabby was very good in his prime, but far from the best in the league for most of that time. Ever since Kipper got a chance in Calgary, he has been better.
This all is beside the point. None of these Goalies have had sustained success in the playoffs. Most played well of course. Outside the fact that all the Goalies listed wern't high end picks (The origins of said discussion), you need very good Goaltending in the playoffs to go along with a very strong team, but that there are numerous Goaltenders in the league capable of providing said level.

Quote:
Seriously? Nitty and Niemi are definitely a big part of why SJ has failed. It's not 100% their fault but they definitely shoulder part of the blame. And Niemi didn't carry Chicago to a Cup, that was an example of a team that won despite it's goaltending. His GAA and SV% has to be the worst of any Cup winning goalie in the last 15 years, if not it's close. He only won the Cup because he was better than Leighton and his teammates were better than every other goalie's teammates. He has some good games, sure, but he was an average goalie who went along for the ride. You said yourself he has been an average goalie. Goaltending has certainly been a big part of SJ's failures. Their goalies have been far from impeccable.
SJ has many issues. The core there doesn't work. Goaltending isn't a strong pat of their game, but they wern't coming close to winning a cup with any Goalie this year.

Niemi was solid with Chicago. Not spectacular, but he did enough. Your using Niemi to argue a point, but said origins of this debate say that Niemi is the exact opposite of what you are trying to state. You're just rambling now. I don't see any clear thesis here. I'd appreciate it if you actually replied with a couple sentences stating what you are trying to argue so we can get back to the point.

Quote:
My point remains, that most Cups have been won by teams with elite goaltending. Obviously if you have an elite goalie who is consistently elite, then it gives you a better chance of getting elite goaltending in the playoffs.
Good Goaltending is needed. No one has disputed such.

Quote:
As far as most of today's best goalies not coming from the 1st round, that hasn't stopped teams from drafting them in the 1st round. Every time, if you ask me who has better odds of cracking the NHL, the standout top prospect from the CHL or the 7th round project from Junior B, I will pick the former. Wouldn't you? As I said, your study indicated to me that there are more promising goalies selected from the 1st round than disappointing ones between 2004-2008, although it doesn't take into account later round picks, but so far as a whole those late picks don't look nearly as promising as the group of Schneider, Price, Rask, Bernier, and Varlamov.
Your interpretation of the study is something i disagree with. It's entirely too optimistic and not pragmatic enough. I will attempt to develop the study further, and post the results.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

so what pick do we actually have??? I've seen some recent mock drafts having us at #20 and today I see on from this week having us at #23. so what pick do we actually have?

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
so what pick do we actually have??? I've seen some recent mock drafts having us at #20 and today I see on from this week having us at #23. so what pick do we actually have?
I've answered this previously in this thread (hard to find now with the long posts back and forth) but we do pick at #23 (the mocks with us at #20 was not based on the actual draft order). Either way, we're going to get a similar player at #20 or 23 TBH.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I've answered this previously in this thread (hard to find now with the long posts back and forth) but we do pick at #23 (the mocks with us at #20 was not based on the actual draft order). Either way, we're going to get a similar player at #20 or 23 TBH.
thx coolburn. I looked to see if it was posted but didn't actually check every single post. I agree we will get a simular player at #23 but I just wanted to know where we actually picked. Thx again.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
So the TSN final rankings are out and there are some definite surprises. The biggest one has Collberg at #27. Tallon would jump up and down if that guy is available with our pick IMO.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9825

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

It will be extremely interesting to see who's available on friday. It's very hard to predict because the talent-level is so close. We'll just have to see how it unfolds. So pumped, love the draft.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Matteau? Matteeau? Matteau?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
p9ers

Why is Grigorenko falling?

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
Why is Grigorenko falling?
Bob said:

- post WJCs didn't play well and also hurt his ankle while there
- wasn't 100% when he played the rest of the season
- didn't play well in the playoffs and was discovered afterwards that he had mano nucleosis
- if teams can turn a blind eye to the injuries, could still go in the top10 or top5

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip702740#clip702740

Bob had Matteau at 23, but his BPA-list doesn't take team needs into consideration. Top goalies Vasilevski&Subban only a few spots away from our pick.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:16 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Craig Button what a moron.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post

Lol, wow

06-19-2012, 08:49 PM
TheMightyPanther85

Quote:

funny lookin hawk

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
gizmo12688

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we went for a D in the first round. The draft seems to be stacked with them this year.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:07 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip703586#clip703586

Pierre sounds like he's been partying for a while.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

I keep seeing every mock draft giving up Brady Skjei, I've never seen him play but I hear good things.. And I know Markstrom Rules likes him, so I'd be happy.. TBH tho.. I also see Sebastien Collberg dropping in a lot of mocks, he was my favorite player this WJC.. If he falls to us I would be PUMPED! But, if he doesn't, I would like the best available defenseman with how many good ones there are.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Acadmus

Quote:

I'm sure we've all had those moments where two thoughts cross in our brains and we have a brain fart. Probably was thinking of Tallon with the Hawks before coming to the Panthers and his wires crossed.

06-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I'm sure we've all had those moments where two thoughts cross in our brains and we have a brain fart. Probably was thinking of Tallon with the Hawks before coming to the Panthers and his wires crossed.
To PBP's credit... Button is in fact a moron. But this may be what happened, lol

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
So the TSN final rankings are out and there are some definite surprises. The biggest one has Collberg at #27. Tallon would jump up and down if that guy is available with our pick IMO.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9825
I really don't know about that. I really don't like how far Collberg has been falling. His #27 ranking is the average of 10 NHL scouts' rankings, so idk why Tallon would be jumping up and down. We might have him higher on our list than the average, but clearly he's not thought of as highly as he was months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Matteau? Matteeau? Matteau?
Yeah, it's his son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Bob said:

- post WJCs didn't play well and also hurt his ankle while there
- wasn't 100% when he played the rest of the season
- didn't play well in the playoffs and was discovered afterwards that he had mano nucleosis
- if teams can turn a blind eye to the injuries, could still go in the top10 or top5

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip702740#clip702740

Bob had Matteau at 23, but his BPA-list doesn't take team needs into consideration. Top goalies Vasilevski&Subban only a few spots away from our pick.
Also, Bob said before the season started there were concerns about Grigorenko's work ethic, and that he didn't do anything to allay those concerns. That's why he's fallen so much after an average 2nd half and a terrible playoffs, not just because he was injured. The lazy tag he's been slapped with has magnified every negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
I keep seeing every mock draft giving up Brady Skjei, I've never seen him play but I hear good things.. And I know Markstrom Rules likes him, so I'd be happy.. TBH tho.. I also see Sebastien Collberg dropping in a lot of mocks, he was my favorite player this WJC.. If he falls to us I would be PUMPED! But, if he doesn't, I would like the best available defenseman with how many good ones there are.
I'd prefer Koekkoek or Finn, but I'd be content with Skjei. I'd love it if we could nab Finn.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Anyone know when the draft starts? Big holiday in Sweden tommorow so I probably won't be able to watch...
Would love if someone could recap it a bit here afterwards.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
TheMightyPanther85

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
Anyone know when the draft starts? Big holiday in Sweden tommorow so I probably won't be able to watch...
Would love if someone could recap it a bit here afterwards.
1st round is on fri at 7pm et and rounds 2-7 are on Sat at 10am et.

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:19 PM
MickOlax

Quote:

I agree about Button being a moron, but still in his defense I have to say that those are not Buttons words. I watched the show where Button and Pierre had a mock draft and Button said that excact sentence but usede the words "They are loaded with forwards..." so the mistake this time was the writers who put it in TSN website. No matter how much you dislike these guys or think they are morons, but they still know all the 30 NHL teams and their GM's.

No offense to anyone, but this just started to bug me.
Never like it when someone is bashed for wrong reasons. Even if it is Craig Button.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote