HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible candidates for Mellanby's vacant position.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:37 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

vCash: 500
Gary Agnew replaces Mellanby http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...a4bcf6878.html

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:46 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
I know that Quebec City is in the race to get a team and I really hope they get it. I think it would be cool to have the MTL vs QUE rivalry renewed. I have heard a lot of people say that Wang is the problem with the Isles along with the old arena. It's tough to say who will move first the Yotes or the Isles but I honestly would rather see it go to a Canadian team rather than another American one. If it was up to Bettman he would try to put a NHL team in Wyoming.
Depending on the TV range, a team in Wyoming actually might do OK.
If they can get the Dakota's, Idaho and Montana they'd have very little competition for a fan base in the North-Western USA(only other options are Canadian team's(Oilers, Flames, Nucks), the Av's and the Wild). It's probably a better market to explore than KC or Seattle despite the population difference.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:00 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Not a suprise, since Agnew has a history with Hitchcock.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:08 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
If they can get the Dakota's, Idaho and Montana they'd have very little competition for a fan base in the North-Western USA(only other options are Canadian team's(Oilers, Flames, Nucks), the Av's and the Wild). It's probably a better market to explore than KC or Seattle despite the population difference.
Yes! Move the Islanders or Desert Dogs with a new facility next to Devils Tower Wyoming and rename the franchise the Broncos!

I also remember the Blues after Ornest saved the Blues Franchise in 1983 had a farm team back in 1984 & 1985 in Montana and the nickname was Majic.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:16 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Yeah, they'd have a lot of success keeping free agents in Wyoming.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
NHL is still primarily gate driven and without a localized advertiser base I suspect the rights would not be worth all that much either.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:58 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Yeah, they'd have a lot of success keeping free agents in Wyoming.
Fan support in the area is outstanding.
Breathtaking scenery and tons of outdoor activities(Yellowstone, Grand Teton's, for both an individual and family to do.
The media isn't crazed like it is in big cities.
Similar climate to the lower parts of Canada.

If the money is there; a lot of those small-town, family oriented players who aren't overly fond of media exposure(Ryan Suter, Joni Pitkanen and the Staal's for example) would find it a great place to play.

The problem with putting a team in Wyoming would be finding an owner with the clout to back it and ensuring they have a good TV range to cater to the surrounding States. There aren't many big spenders up there.
They'd have no problem competing for FA's and the fan base is better than you realize especially if, like I said, they get the Dakota's and Montana in addition to just Wyoming(a team in Gillette would be an easy drive from Rapid City, SD and not too bad of a drive from Billings, MT).

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Fan support in the area is outstanding.
Breathtaking scenery and tons of outdoor activities(Yellowstone, Grand Teton's, for both an individual and family to do.
The media isn't crazed like it is in big cities.
Similar climate to the lower parts of Canada.

If the money is there; a lot of those small-town, family oriented players who aren't overly fond of media exposure(Ryan Suter, Joni Pitkanen and the Staal's for example) would find it a great place to play.

The problem with putting a team in Wyoming would be finding an owner with the clout to back it and ensuring they have a good TV range to cater to the surrounding States. There aren't many big spenders up there.
They'd have no problem competing for FA's and the fan base is better than you realize especially if, like I said, they get the Dakota's and Montana in addition to just Wyoming(a team in Gillette would be an easy drive from Rapid City, SD and not too bad of a drive from Billings, MT).
I've lived in Wyoming. I know exactly what these areas are like. I enjoyed my time there. But If teams like Edmonton have trouble attracting UFAs, what do you think a team in (seriously Gillette) would encounter? If you drafted Nail, Kane, Kovalchek, etc, do you think those guys are not going to chomp at the bit the first time they have a chance?

There is no TV market any execs/advertisers would care about to generate revenue. Filling an NHL arena would probably be challenging, but I'll give you that one. (In the winter time, you really think season ticket holders are going to make those drives 40 times?) Its a money-losing proposition for an owner, but there are historical precedents for owners who just lose millions annually to field a team they love. You'd have to have someone like that. And I haven't seen guys like that lately, or they'd have bought Phoenix or St Louis a lot faster.

Not sure how Mellanby's coaching position ties into this, but

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote