HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs would like to keep Moen

Old
06-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Issacar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
The article says he wants to sign long term. 3 years is not long term. On top of that, he's 30, he knows it will be his most lucrative contract. He won't take the chance to sign only 3 years and negotiate a new contract at 33.

4 years at 2.5M per.
5 years at 2.2M per.
If you want to be technical, 3 years is long term considerign that you have to extrapolate the production output of Moen that far off? How do you know how Moen will turn out in 1000+ days?

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Lshap

I agree with those who want to give Moen at least three years. He's an experienced vet who fits our team, is physical when necessary and produces points. That's worth keeping around. Extend the contract, lower the per-season hit, win win.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:11 PM

He's 30 years old so I would give him 3 years but that's the max. 3 years 6 millions.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:23 PM
poetryinmotion

Marc, he knows his stuff about players value.

I'm very excited about our 1st major trade. I truly think that he will get the most out of any deals worth making.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Coach Brisebois*

best news yet, 4 or 5 years.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
BobbyFischer*

Honestly.. I wouldn't mind if he ABSOLUTELY wanted 4-5 yrs.. give it to him. We need to keep this guy, and get more players like him.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Craig71

For those of you throwing out numbers of 2 million + for Moen, please consider the fact that signing Price and Subban will eat up a ton of available cap space and Moen might have to take the home town discount in order to stay. He is in a position to do well as a UFA, on the open market he gets 2.5 for 3 years just for the simple fact that teams over pay free agents. I love Moen on our team but we have a ton of young players coming up that will make him an unwanted commodity in 2 years so any longer than a 2 year term will be a mistake. It also depends on Bergevins game plan going forward, because lets face it at this point we don't really know who is staying or going.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Honestly.. I wouldn't mind if he ABSOLUTELY wanted 4-5 yrs.. give it to him. We need to keep this guy, and get more players like him.
I wouldn't mind if he ended up his career with the Canadiens, he'll always be a good players for any team to have. But I still would give him a 3 year contract and see where it leads us. It's very doubftul but even for himself it could be better, what if in the next 2-3 seasons he starts racking 50 points per season? He could then bargain a better contract...

Old
06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I dont agree with 3M, but I can see a team offering 2.5M in July.
If he doesn't sign with us (won't happen), he'll go to the laffs for 4mil. Wait and see.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Issacar

I just don't want to see him in a Bruins jersey...

Old
06-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I like Moen, but I would really hope that we can acquire a good 4th line center (Gaustad seems impossible, but I'd love him) to play with him as well as Ryan White.

If we could secure two forwards (ala Latendresse/Kostitsyn) to fill out our top-9, we'd have a solid club.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:05 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
For those of you throwing out numbers of 2 million + for Moen, please consider the fact that signing Price and Subban will eat up a ton of available cap space and Moen might have to take the home town discount in order to stay. He is in a position to do well as a UFA, on the open market he gets 2.5 for 3 years just for the simple fact that teams over pay free agents. I love Moen on our team but we have a ton of young players coming up that will make him an unwanted commodity in 2 years so any longer than a 2 year term will be a mistake. It also depends on Bergevins game plan going forward, because lets face it at this point we don't really know who is staying or going.
Who are these "ton of young players" that will make a great bottom 6 guy who is absolutely fantastic on the Pk "unwanted" in 2 years?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:13 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Would love to have him back. He was one of our best and most consistent forwards last year.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

He brings a lot of interesting things to the table, but I sure hope not to see him back on the top 2 lines. His offense is extremely limited, he can skate on those lines, but can't produce. On the 3rd/4th line, now that would be perfect. And I disagree with the one who said he was invisible his first 2 years... guess what, the coach didn't like rough stuff, and he was the only guy who could scrap. Therrien likes rough stuff, and if they bring back Staubitz (or get another scrapper), and White remains motivated, we could FINALLY see the real Moen. He won't fight every game, but he could do it more often.

Anyway, I'm all for him to sign back, but I seriously doubt he'll get more than 2M$.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall of Troy View Post
Bobby Hull was known for working on his farm during the offseason. Bobby Hull was a hockey player.
Reminds me of that twitter pic by Malkin a few days ago.

Anyway Moen is a keeper the only way Bergevin can't get it done is because he actually wants out. A line with Leblanc and White would be cheap even if Moen gets 3M.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:53 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post

Anyway Moen is a keeper the only way Bergevin can't get it done is because he actually wants out. A line with Leblanc and White would be cheap even if Moen gets 3M.
Leblanc has neither the strength, nor the veteran savvy to be a quality 4th liner. How does it benefit him to be on the 4th line at this point in his career?

In a few years if he proves he isn't anything better than a 4th liner? Sure why not. But why now?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Leblanc has neither the strength, nor the veteran savvy to be a quality 4th liner. How does it benefit him to be on the 4th line at this point in his career?

In a few years if he proves he isn't anything better than a 4th liner? Sure why not. But why now?
He does have the grit, hockey sense and a decent enough 2-way game to play on bottom lines, and he gained weight this summer. We do have a lot of players signed to NHL contracts though, and Leblanc was playing because of injuries. Unless they trade some of those contracts, I wonder when he'll get back in the NHL...

Old
06-16-2012, 07:07 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
He does have the grit, hockey sense and a decent enough 2-way game to play on bottom lines, and he gained weight this summer. We do have a lot of players signed to NHL contracts though, and Leblanc was playing because of injuries. Unless they trade some of those contracts, I wonder when he'll get back in the NHL...
My point is that they didn't draft Leblanc to be a 4th line guy. Yes he's a solid 2 way guy but if their plan is to develop him into hopefully a top 6 guy what good does it do playing on a 4th line with other 4th liners?

I'd rather see Gomez on the 4th line playing on the wing than Leblanc.

Old
Captain Saku

I'd love for Moen to stay but not more than 2 years.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I'd love for Moen to stay but not more than 2 years.
Why? He's not that old, and his game doesn't rely on speed at all so what's going to happen in 3 years that maeks you want him now but not then?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:10 PM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

3 years, up to 2.25m - I'm okay with it. He didn't show much of anything at all for most of his previous contract but I blame JM for that. He'll be a key x-factor under Therrien I think.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Why? He's not that old, and his game doesn't rely on speed at all so what's going to happen in 3 years that maeks you want him now but not then?
Injuries. He's style of play is hard on the body so it isn't uncommon to see these types have more injuries as their age gets into the 30s

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:12 PM
coolasprICE

If Moen is really working on the fart at 30 years old NHL vet and already a multi-millionaire, I would give him 4 years 20 million

This team needs to get more farmer and less Gomez

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
3 years, up to 2.25m - I'm okay with it. He didn't show much of anything at all for most of his previous contract but I blame JM for that. He'll be a key x-factor under Therrien I think.
Leg injury slowed him down for 2 seasons.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
My point is that they didn't draft Leblanc to be a 4th line guy. Yes he's a solid 2 way guy but if their plan is to develop him into hopefully a top 6 guy what good does it do playing on a 4th line with other 4th liners?

I'd rather see Gomez on the 4th line playing on the wing than Leblanc.
Of course they didn't draft him to be a 4th line forward, but he does have the attributes to play there. Now, would I want him there ? Depends on what use Therrien will have of that 4th line, if he plays them 5min a game, then no way, better send him to Hamilton, like they did with Pacioretty.

Anyway, I prefer seeing guys like Staubitz and White there, we've needed an energy line for a while now (Cunneyworth used it that way, and Therrien most probably will, too)