HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anybody want Matt Carle back?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:52 PM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
Considering it's a weak year for defensive free agents besides those who still believe the Flyers will sign Suter or Weber, yes I want to resign him. If he walks and they are unable to replace his body we are stuck with only 4 NHL level defensemen (Timonen, Mez, Coburn, Grossmann) and a bottom pairing of AHLers. Yea no thanks. Gus, MAB, Manning, and/or next weeks draft pick, are not ready to play a full 82 game season. Sign Carle and attempt to grab a 6th guy to complete the back end. They may not be an elite defense but they could still be solid if the forwards can give them a hand.
dude, they have been getting defensemen like mez in 2010 and pronger a couple of years back, they even said they are going to address the defense like detroit accept i think it's going to be trade or maybe sign a free agent not carle or sutter, there's other defensemen other there besides them they are probably more talented than them, they got grossmen,

he's a good player if they get another one with a good slapshot and hits as good as him for a good discount rather than otherpaying for those bums i think the flyers can have a great defense.

carle cant hit, skate, turnovers the puck, anyone is better than him at a cheaper price

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
dude, they have been getting defensemen like mez in 2010 and pronger a couple of years back, they even said they are going to address the defense like detroit accept i think it's going to be trade or maybe sign a free agent not carle or sutter, there's other defensemen other there besides them they are probably more talented than them, they got grossmen,

he's a good player if they get another one with a good slapshot and hits as good as him for a good discount rather than otherpaying for those bums i think the flyers can have a great defense.

carle cant hit, skate, turnovers the puck, anyone is better than him at a cheaper price

exactly.. and well said

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
While there is a thread 100s of posts long on this..

Just saying Carle can actually skate..

And i'd possible take him back at about 4m or so

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:08 PM
lancer247

Quote:

Obviously, he isn't a physical presence but he is a very strong skater and he has very good vision. With the cap going up there is no way you get Carle or anyone like him for less then $4-$4.5M. No one expects him to be a #1 or carry a top pairing but he is a solid #3-#4. I wish he had a strong slap shot like everyone else but if he did he would probably cost the Flyers $5M+.

If they lock him up at the same range as Coburn and Mez that's a good deal especially with Kimo coming off the books the following season.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Some defensemen credited with more turnovers than Carle this season:

Carlson
Karlsson
Phaneuf
Burns
Bieksa
Yandle
Chara
Wideman
Boyle
Doughty
Girardi
Seabrook

Enough complaints about turnovers, every single person here would give their left nut to get almost any one of these guys.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Some defensemen credited with more turnovers than Carle this season:

Carlson
Karlsson
Phaneuf
Burns
Bieksa
Yandle
Chara
Wideman
Boyle
Doughty
Girardi
Seabrook

Enough complaints about turnovers, every single person here would give their left nut to get almost any one of these guys.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Wideman would be that guy, I just listed him because people were suggesting we sign him, for some reason.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I wonder how many of those guys had as many defensive zone turnovers as Carle.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post

exactly, i'd try any of those guys listed above just to see how they plug into our team..

we ALREADY know how Carle fits in.. YUK ! seen enuf, time to move on...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
exactly, i'd try any of those guys listed above just to see how they plug into our team..

we ALREADY know how Carle fits in.. YUK ! seen enuf, time to move on...
So all the guys with MORE turnovers (conversely more turnovers per game) is fine.

They turn the puck over, because they have the puck in order to turn it over.

Drew Doughty's giveaways went up by more than a third (per game) in the playoffs, and people were talking about Conn Smythe for him until Game 3 of the Finals. More things happen when you have the puck as opposed to when you don't.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Krishna

Quote:
So all the guys with MORE turnovers (conversely more turnovers per game) is fine.

They turn the puck over, because they have the puck in order to turn it over.

Drew Doughty's giveaways went up by more than a third (per game) in the playoffs, and people were talking about Conn Smythe for him until Game 3 of the Finals. More things happen when you have the puck as opposed to when you don't.
He is also good enough defensively to make up for his mistakes..

And is there a stat for defensive zone turnovers?

Old
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
To expand on that...I wonder how many of those guys had as many defensive zone turnovers as catastrophic as Carle...ex: ending up in the back of the net.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Larry44

Quote:
A team that needs Carle to play a crucial defensive role is a team very unlikely to win a Cup.
And yet, but for Leighton, and the fact that the old guys Pronger and Timonen were beat up and worn down, a team with Carle and Coburn carrying the load almost did...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To expand on that...I wonder how many of those guys had as many defensive zone turnovers as catastrophic as Carle...ex: ending up in the back of the net.
He had 55 total giveaways, and was on the ice for 60 goals at 5 v 5. So, not many.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:31 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Carle isn't flashy but he is a good hockey player and is well worth the 4.5 contract he may be getting.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:50 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I'll simply address one point you've made, to point out how uninformed you are about Carle.

Carle averaged 2:38 seconds of icetime on the PP in the Regular Season. And 2:32 of icetime on the PP in the playoffs.

I'll just skip the rest of the inaccuracies in your post.
Nice snark...and thanks for solidifying my point. He's an offensive defenseman who doesn't/can't play on the PP.

Look, I don't hate Matt Carle and I don't think he's terrible the way some around here do. He's a good skater, and he's a positionally sound player. I'd take him back at his current salary or a bit more, but I hear this $4.5-5M AAV talk and that seems like an overpay.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
23-minute defensemen don't grow on trees.
It's amazing how many times you have to be told that he's not a 23 minute defenseman. Go make that list of players again. They are 23 minute defenseman.

Carle played that many minutes because we had no one else. But go believe the idiots on broadstreet. Suter = Carle

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Bench
Realgud!

I'm kind of curious why you guys think the Flyers jumped on Grossmann so fast. 4 years feels like a hefty commitment to a guy that didn't show much in Dallas on a contract year. He's a strictly shut down guy, and ideally, he's probably not in your top 4 if your blueline is looking good. Four years for a bottom pairing guy?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I'm kind of curious why you guys think the Flyers jumped on Grossmann so fast. 4 years feels like a hefty commitment to a guy that didn't show much in Dallas on a contract year. He's a strictly shut down guy, and ideally, he's probably not in your top 4 if your blueline is looking good. Four years for a bottom pairing guy?
He came in and exceeded our expectations.. He was exactly what we needed.. Not to mention that him and coburn made a great pairing

Old
06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Grossmann came in and reminded me of the Hatcher/Coburn pairing. That is when Coburn played his best so if Grossmann can stay on the Flyers and play a shut down role while elevating Coburn's game he is well worth that contract.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Grossman came into the team with the same form that he started in Dallas with when he was their 2# defenseman. He was a calm steady head on the blueline and when paired with Coburn, dominated on the ice.

I haven't seen such a steady pairing on the ice since OD and Mezaros were on the bottom pairing.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's amazing how many times you have to be told that he's not a 23 minute defenseman. Go make that list of players again. They are 23 minute defenseman.

Carle played that many minutes because we had no one else. But go believe the idiots on broadstreet. Suter = Carle
He was 23 minutes 2 of the last 3 years, and over 25 in the playoffs two of the last three years. You know why we had no one else? Because 23-minute defensemen don't become available.

Old
06-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:

No there really are not many better defensemen available besides Suter than Carle, its a very weak class this offseason. I am in no way a Carle fanboy but seriously most people here have such narrow vision and such unneeded seething hate for him its laughable. He is what he is, a top 4 guy that can play a lot of minutes that does turn the puck over (comes with logging a lot of minutes and not being an elite player and a puck moving defenseman).

So yes lets let him walk, risk no one signing here/overpay for someone else that can't log the same minutes. Unless its a certified top pairing guy, then no I do not want to make a trade and lose assets when we could just sign Carle for less than he will make on the open market.

Some interesting stats on this years free agent class and how Carle compares to them: http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/11...nt-defensemen/

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:11 PM
sg12lw

Carle is a very solid player...I want him back

I also want him back bc I find it hilarious how much people here hate him and I want you all to suffer

EDIT: for those who think he's not tough: just pull a muscle in your stomach and try and play hockey..he played with it torn..thats tough, im sorry. There's a difference between not being physical and not being tough

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:13 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
Carle is a very solid player...I want him back

I also want him back bc I find it hilarious how much people here hate him and I want you all to suffer
*******!

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote