HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft: Options for the Minnesota Wild (THW)

Old
06-16-2012, 01:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
As with almost every player in this draft, if Forsberg is available, it depends on who else is on the board. Personally, I have 6 players definitively ranked ahead of him, and him in a tie for 7th so I'd probably end up choosing someone else still.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I'll give the writer credit for taking a team she doesn't know much about and writing about them but the research could have better. There are a lot of wrong facts about Minnesota this season and inferences which would seem to go against common belief. It also may be the first time Tyler Cuma has been seen as a top prospect in 2012 and developed wrong when injuries have been the main issue.

Don't have a issue with who is picked because that's opinion and the writer does know those players. I learned a few new things about some of the later picks.

Overall, this could have been better and in the future would like to see a more research because that would go a long way. It's unfortunate that another major website rarely writes about the Wild (and has a writer who is not a fan of the team - the same thing ends up happening with the Hockey's Future articles) since it seems like misinformation happens all the time. However, that's something which is a result of Minnesota having a smaller internet presence.

(Also Tim, you made the author think you were the real Kari Takko. What's up with that?)

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
rafterman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgriff View Post
What?
It fits with thinking Bruno was still on the team. Mikko does look like speedster next to him.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:10 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I already ranted about this in the comments section. Phetuw.
I just read through the comments section... I can't believe how she keeps insisting that the only way the Wild take a D-man is if they can make the jump to the NHL right away... which makes absolutely no sense at all!

With as thin as the Wild defensive prospect pool is, why would they care if the player can make the jump to the NHL? The Wild need defensive prospects whether they can play in the NHL next year or 3 years from now. They chose Brodin in the first round last year knowing he was at least a year out, why would that change now?

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:57 AM
grN1g

from what i've read, people think because of this possible scenario of landing both top free agents, the wild are in win now mode(kinda explains the reasoning behind draft a dman nhl ready) but truth is fletch has a 5+ year plan that got set in motion a year ago with a good draft(so far) and will continue to draft best player available even if its a couple year project for that player.

you can see hes building within and will continue this course, and if parise and suter want to be apart of that, their contracts will take them into a future team that will be playoff bound for years to come (if all goes well.)

so with suter, or no suter, parise, or no parise bottom line, we have a bright future and if they, or anyone else doesn't want to be apart of that, well thats fine by me. id rather go with someone who acknowledges our bright future and young but full of potential franchise over someone who looks at us as a "laughing stock" or "Mediocre team" but will sign for their "pay day" contract.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'll give the writer credit for taking a team she doesn't know much about and writing about them but the research could have better. There are a lot of wrong facts about Minnesota this season and inferences which would seem to go against common belief. It also may be the first time Tyler Cuma has been seen as a top prospect in 2012 and developed wrong when injuries have been the main issue.

Don't have a issue with who is picked because that's opinion and the writer does know those players. I learned a few new things about some of the later picks.

Overall, this could have been better and in the future would like to see a more research because that would go a long way. It's unfortunate that another major website rarely writes about the Wild (and has a writer who is not a fan of the team - the same thing ends up happening with the Hockey's Future articles) since it seems like misinformation happens all the time. However, that's something which is a result of Minnesota having a smaller internet presence.

(Also Tim, you made the author think you were the real Kari Takko. What's up with that?)
Maybe my insights are that of the greatest backup goalie in the history of the NHL?

Obviously, I didn't intend to mislead her, and I'm actually pretty impressed she knew who Kari Takko was/is. Google is great.

Anyway, I agree that she had the tough job of commenting on a team she knows little about. She can't seem to shake the theory that we need someone who can compete for a job from the get go. Like I said in the comments section. Forsberg would be a nice pick at 7, but girgesons and faksa would probably require a trade down to ensure the BPA philosophy of the Wild.

I think everyone knows I like Trouba as the pick at 7 if he's still there, but if we do trade down, I think girgensons would be a nice complement to the stable of guys we have right now. He can fly, he's big and he's not afraid of contact.

In the second round, if he's still there, Stefan Matteau is my pick. He's got an NHL pedigree, he can fly, and he moves bodies. If he can learn to keep his cool, he's got a Brad Marchand-esque game with a little more size.

If Matteau is off the board, a guy who could provide some value is Mike Matheson. He doesn't stand out like Trouba, but he's steady and makes nice passes and good decisions with the puck breaking out of his zone. His skating is solid, but he looks small on the ice. I think he could be a great value in the 2nd round if he's still around.

Beyond that, I wasn't able to watch many games this year, so my first-hand knowledge of many of the draft eligibles is limited. I have a lot of faith in our front office though... I'm sure we'll make good moves at the draft table.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:11 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

My comment to her...

TaLoN

This is like the 3rd or 4th time you commented about the Wild only taking a d-man if they could jump to the NHL right away... that makes no sense at all. If you are lacking quality defensive PROSPECTS, you don't ignore the position just because they can't join the team in the NHL.

The Wild can use quality defensive prospects whether they get to the NHL this year or 3 years from now. They drafted Brodin in the first round last year even though they knew he was at least a year away... so why would that change now?

Her reply to me... pretty funny stuff!

MargannLaurissa87

That is not what I'm saying. I said that they MAY want that. I never said they definitely did. I mentioned that it would be nice because they had such depletion on their blueline this season, especially with injuries to Mike Lundin and Steven Kampfer. That is what allowed for Marco Scandella, Clayton Stoner and Jared Spurgeon to come in and do well instead of playing down in Houston.

In fact, Spurgeon and Scandella emerged being 1-2 among the Wild's defence corps in scoring last season; the way this debate is going, that doesn't seem to be good enough to consider them "quality defensive prospects."

The Wild do have some solid defensive prospects, especially now that Brodin is under contract. They have the three I mentioned earlier, him, Justin Falk, Nate Prosser, Tyler Cuma and some in Houston who could show their potential at the next level. As well, they have Josh Caron, Colton Jobke and Sean Lorenz with the Aeros; furthermore, they can have Bjorn Krupp and Sam Lofquist come back to North America.

There are many questions that can be asked. What if the Wild make a big trade for a high-end defenceman before or at the draft? Or what if they sign someone to a lucrative free-agent contract (i.e., Ryan Suter) before the draft? That would surely change things. Why is no one thinking of that possibility?

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:42 AM
AnimalMother

Yikes...

If she thinks Falk , Prosser and especially Cuma are solid prospects, she's out to lunch. I'd only consider Prosser solid of that group and then only barely...

And so what of the Wild sign Suter? Saying that the Wild will not draft a defenseman because of that UFA signing is ludicrous. Especially if she considers Tyler Cuma a "top prospect"...

The Wild need to draft the BPA...I'm still a bit skeptical that the Wild farm system is this cornucopia of future HoF players many are making it out to be now...

AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I wonder if she's hot because she sounds stupid enough to go out with me.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote