HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You could say there's a kid someone really likes who is on the board at #28, and that team happens to have an extra pick or two they're willing to part with.

I'd say Tampa Bay, but they just dealt two of them for Lindback.
Good chance late round maneuvering takes place, just wonder if it'll be Slats going down or up. Whats history say?

By the way, Lindback, who just turned 24, played 38 NHL games and 6 AHL games in two years backing up one of the NHL's best tenders.

Now think about Vasilevski. A few years in Russia, then two years NA behind a world class goalie with a world class coach on a competitive pro team. Ya think he'll want to go back to Tolpar Ufa!!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Every team has different lists and hunches than the other teams. Rangers might not see much difference in several forwards per se at 28 but the radar might be up for another team. No way of telling all that now though--have to wait for draft day.
Could be, again, I don't know with Sather, always with the Lion, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wouldn't mind taking a goalie. A Russian goalie? No thanks. That's the last thing we need. A guy in the first round who doesn't want to play in the AHL getting offered a nice, fat KHL deal.

If he's there in the 2nd, sure. Go for it. At 28? **** no. I have zero problem taking a Russian. Not a Russian goalie, though.
Read what i wrote to TRX above.

Plus, you don't even know the kid. He's got character, good teammate, some say he was the unofficial captain of team Russia. He wants to play in the NHL, 28 teams interested:

Quote:
"The NHL is no question the best organized [League] in everything and I want to play here," he said.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634832

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
If Edmonton decides they need a defenseman and are set on Murray, theirs a chance Yakupov could be available at #2. If columbus dint want to take the chance, we already know which of our guys theyre interested in. that'd be a huge win vs. getting Nash.

JT and our First and Thomas? something along those lines? thatd be a pretty big-time, long term, powermove.
i love how everyone wants to trade JT Miller before he puts on a Rangers jersey why didnt we trade Kreider when people thought he wouldnt sign here...JT Miller is a keeper...rather trade Thomas, Bourque

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i love how everyone wants to trade JT Miller before he puts on a Rangers jersey why didnt we trade Kreider when people thought he wouldnt sign here...JT Miller is a keeper...rather trade Thomas, Bourque
i don't think anyone WANTS to trade miller but know that you have to give up something, you can't make everyone untouchable.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i don't think anyone WANTS to trade miller but know that you have to give up something, you can't make everyone untouchable.
i understand that, but why not trade Boyle and let Miller take his spot. Miller would add more grit and skill to the bottom lines...heck Kesler started out as a 3rd/4th line player with the Canucks at 19 years old and turned into a very good player. Miller was compared to Kesler during the draft....

Old
06-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
i understand that, but why not trade Boyle and let Miller take his spot. Miller would add more grit and skill to the bottom lines...heck Kesler started out as a 3rd/4th line player with the Canucks at 19 years old and turned into a very good player. Miller was compared to Kesler during the draft....
Because Miller as a prospect has much more value in a trade than Brian ****ing Boyle.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:28 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
because the other team has to agree to the trade too LOL. sure i'd LOVE to trade bourque and bickell for e kane and keep kreider, stepan, miller, mdz, erixon, etc but good luck getting the jets to agree to that

ideally i'd want to keep miller for the role you mention. and if we end up moving dubinsky and/or anisimov then miller is the perfect guy to fill those spots in a year or 2...but if it comes down to it i'll take the 20 year old 1st liner over the 19 year old 3rd liner

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Because Miller as a prospect has much more value in a trade than Brian ****ing Boyle.
a prospect that hasnt played one NHL game has more value in a trade than an NHL regular... id trade Boyle for a dman.

Boyle and rights to Zuccarello to Red Wings
Brenden Smith to Rangers

Old
06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
The exception to the rule isn't the best example. Besides, just because he was compared to him doesn't make it true. This terrible thinkimg and extremely illogical.

By the way, if Boyle is more valuable than the so unproven Miller, as you allude,to below, why would you trade Boyle and replace him with Miller?....

Quote:
a prospect that hasnt played one NHL game has more value in a trade than an NHL regular... id trade Boyle for a dman.
I guess Mike Rupp is more valuable than Nail Yakupov, then

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:05 PM
eco's bones

One thing to keep in mind--with all the Nash, Kane, etc. talk--the Rangers are a good team and we'll still be good just staying with what we've got letting guys like Miller and Erixon develop and keeping in mind their salary hits being on the low side for a little while.

Of Radulov, Nash and Kane though I'd rather take my chances with Kane. Beyond the goal scoring which is Nash's thing but with a very negative cap hit--Kane is a more all around player than Nash--he plays with a lot more edge and grit. He's a tough guy in his own right. it would be like adding Adam Graves. I would not want to move Kreider in the deal but Kane>Kreider. I would move heaven and earth not to move CK though.

I might offer this--Nash is a very good--borderline superstar. Kane is what I would call a hockey player--like say Callahan. He's all out and accepts the hits and dishes them out. No problem dropping the gloves. He's a warrior with a lot of talent. Nash is a goal scorer but IMO he's not really a warrior. There will be occasions when he doesn't show up. Kane will always show up. I think Kane is a winner. Nash might help us to win but I don't see him leading the charge.

If the Rangers get CK to always show up he will be a star and I think that will happen. Torts will push him hard enough and I think CK without all the classes etc. will take up that challenge. For Kane I might center a deal around Stepan and I'd hate to give up Derek--I think he's only going to get better. Artie, Dubi or MDZ could be in the mix as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
If the Rangers get CK to always show up he will be a star and I think that will happen. Torts will push him hard enough and I think CK without all the classes etc. will take up that challenge. For Kane I might center a deal around Stepan and I'd hate to give up Derek--I think he's only going to get better. Artie, Dubi or MDZ could be in the mix as well.
If they're looking for a center, I'd much rather send them Artie. The only thing that concerns me is if he turns out to be like Dubi. We all expected Dubi to continue to progress and score 30 this year. Kane just broke out last year with 30, but was it a flash in the pan season? I'm wary of giving up too many pieces for potential that might not be fulfilled.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm not going to sweep through this thread and remove all of the posts, but this is not the place to be discussing Nash, Kane or any other trade stuff.

Draft and prospect talk only, please.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:02 AM
free0717

Im not breaking up this team for a sexy trade. Sign Schultz yes. Draft BPO yes. Sign a top 4 RH dman Yes. Sign a secondary scorer RW type yes. I'm keeping my young guys and adding to them in the draft.

Forget the breakup or the sexy big $$$ signing.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:51 AM
eco's bones

Well--getting back on subject--our 1st round pick anyway. These 21 guys I expect will be gone unless we move up at least several spots.

F-Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Teravainen, Faksa, Girgensons, Gaunce, Collberg, Aberg, Hertl.
D-Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, Reinhart, Maatta, Lindholm, Pouliot, Finn, Ceci.

Possibilities then--although some of them should be picked leading up to 28:
F-Hart, Kerdiles, Wilson, Samuelsson, Matteau, DiGiuseppe, Laughton, Winther, Jankowski, Pearson, Frk, Sutter, Sissons, MacEachern.
D-Koekkoek, Thrower, Bystrom, Pokka, Skjei, Matheson.
G-Vasilevskiy, Subban, Dansk.

If a couple goalies get picked before 28 that may drop someone down.

The shortlist I'd make of the second group would include---Hart, Kerdiles, Wilson, Samuelsson, Koekoek, Thrower, Skjei, Vasilevskiy, Subban.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
“It’s (bleeping) terrible,” said one Eastern Conference executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “This year’s draft has to be the worst draft in 12 years.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/16...akest-in-years

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Offer the first 4 picks to move up in the 1st. Make the selection and go home Friday night.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:25 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Jeez. It seems like we hear this crap EVERY year. I mean, this time last year weren't we hearing that the 2011 draft was weak, but 2012 was lining up to be a monster?

Serious question: what was the last draft year that was still being called deep in the week prior to the first pick?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Jeez. It seems like we hear this crap EVERY year. I mean, this time last year weren't we hearing that the 2011 draft was weak, but 2012 was lining up to be a monster?

Serious question: what was the last draft year that was still being called deep in the week prior to the first pick?
Yup...2011 was going to be historically bad, and we should give up our 1st in that draft to get one in this draft.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:29 AM
eco's bones

If the draft is as ****** as some people seem to think--it really makes me wonder WTF the Devils were thinking not giving up this year's pick since they have to give up one in either 12, 13 or 14 and they're at the tail end of the first round on this one. I know Bluenote really respects LL but this strikes me as moronic if it was a conscious decision or almost criminally forgetful if it wasn't. I have to go with the former here because I would think David Conte would have most certainly reminded him if it had slipped his mind.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:29 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

But that is true too.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

This is also an attempt at CYA for some of these guys...lower expectations about the players you're drafting, so you look like a genius when they hit, or don't look so bad when they bust.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Hear the same nonsense every year. You can't evaluate a draft for 8+ years after it occurred. Plenty of players with quality upside in the top 3 rounds of the draft. It's after that point where the talent really takes a nosedive.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

What do you guys think about Brendan Gaunce?

From what I've read, he sounds like a prefect fit for the current Rangers team.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
If the draft is as ****** as some people seem to think--it really makes me wonder WTF the Devils were thinking not giving up this year's pick since they have to give up one in either 12, 13 or 14 and they're at the tail end of the first round on this one. I know Bluenote really respects LL but this strikes me as moronic if it was a conscious decision or almost criminally forgetful if it wasn't. I have to go with the former here because I would think David Conte would have most certainly reminded him if it had slipped his mind.
Oh I said it myself, even though Lou was my first hockey mentor(besides my Dad), I scratch my head that he's keeping this one. BUT, could be he wants to use that pick to grab one of the goalies or another option is trade for an established player.

Or maybe he just takes this pick and figure out a way to get another first or second from now until June 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This is also an attempt at CYA for some of these guys...lower expectations about the players you're drafting, so you look like a genius when they hit, or don't look so bad when they bust.
That quote sounds like Sather, picking low, looking to move up without giving up the usual cause 'its ****ing terrible'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Hear the same nonsense every year. You can't evaluate a draft for 8+ years after it occurred. Plenty of players with quality upside in the top 3 rounds of the draft. It's after that point where the talent really takes a nosedive.
Agreed. Whatever the quality of a draft, still have to do your homework. Might not be the most amazing group of youngsters, but ****ing terrible' takes it a tad too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
What do you guys think about Brendan Gaunce?

From what I've read, he sounds like a prefect fit for the current Rangers team.
Like him alot, doubt he gets past #15, and even then I might be shocked.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Plus, you don't even know the kid. He's got character, good teammate, some say he was the unofficial captain of team Russia. He wants to play in the NHL, 28 teams interested:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634832
That's cute and all. Same thing said by every other Russian kid.

Look. He's a goalie. They take far longer to develop. We all know this. This kid is NOT going to want to play in the AHL. He's going to want to stay in Russia and play. No reason to develop a goalie in the AHL.

What are we going to do once he is an established starter and making big money over there? I'm sure he'd love to come over on his rookie deal and play back-up goalie with the potential to be in the AHL (two-way deal).

There are other goalies that are of the same talent level yet much safer and easier to manage.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Chief

You might find an exception but teams take the pick they can used soonest. No one knows what the future holds and the all try to improve their team or organization sooner, rather than later.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote