HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying new pants for thin frame

Old
06-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Buying new pants for thin frame

Keep in mind, all of my equipment was bought as a set 14 years ago when I first took up hockey as an adult. So I have zero experience buying equipment.

I decided to replace my hockey pants today so I went and got myself a pair of Bauer One80s, debating between the medium and small. I decided on the small because the laces on the mediums failed to tighten the pants at all so I figured they were a bit big for my ~31" waist. Also, the sizing chart puts mediums at 32-36 whereas smalls are 30-34.

The salesman was a little wary that they might be too short. And now that I'm home, I think he's right. I've tried them with my shin pads and jock and they definitely seem short.

But here's the thing: I'm 5'10", 31" waist. Thin, sure, but lots of hockey players are pretty lanky. And I'm not at all tall for my waist. The sizing of 32-36/5'7"-5'11" for medium seems odd to me. And I've checked other brands and they all have similar dimensions, i.e. - All of the pants that appear to be height appropriate are going to be big in the waist.

Any other people of similar builds have this problem? Any suggested pants out there for it?

From what I've been able to google, it looks like Tackla and Warrior pants could run a little longer, also there's a possible Small-Tall in the Bauers (which the salesperson never mentioned). And finally the Bauer Vapors were a bit snugger so the medium might work. Although I sort of preferred the fit of the One80s over the Vapors.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:42 PM
AIREAYE

Don't need to go Warrior, their older stuff sizes larger as a whole, so not only will you get length, but unneeded width as well. Tackla/Eagle/RYR could be a good fit as their quite snug around the hips/waist. Try to find a size 46 (S) or 48 (M) to try on. Avoid CCM and Easton.

There is an ST (Small Tall) option in the One80s, which, iirc, will give you 1.5" extra. Not surprised your sales guy didn't know about them, as retailers, especially smaller ones, don't order them to be part of regular stock. They can definitely be ordered from Bauer through your retailer however, which I think is your best/easiest option.

Oh and the Reebok 11K and older 9K pants have a zipper where you can add an extra 1" by unzipping it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Stickchecked

It was Hockey Life which has a huge inventory. If I'm lucky they'll have an ST lying around that I can try on.

My salesperson wasn't the greatest. He made the comment that he'd used Bauer his entire life so let's just look at Bauer.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:32 PM
TrueBlue86

i find it that in general sales ppl in these big retail stores (Pro Hockey Life, Sport Chek etc...) know very little, except the basics.

they often don't even know their own stock

i have been reading these boards and similar ones for half a year and most of the times i end up educating them on their own stock and sales...

if you go to a smaller, non- chain store, i'd image they'd know more

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:36 AM
special blend

I don't know what level you are playing but if it's just rec or beer league I would suggest Tackla 951's. They have good protection and aren't super expensive. I went with them because they come in 2" longer legs (i'm 6"5").
They are light, tight around waist and hips with open legs. Plenty of protection for falls and shots.

special blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by special blend View Post
I don't know what level you are playing but if it's just rec or beer league I would suggest Tackla 951's. They have good protection and aren't super expensive. I went with them because they come in 2" longer legs (i'm 6"5").
They are light, tight around waist and hips with open legs. Plenty of protection for falls and shots.
Yes, I'm just a rec leaguer, so I don't need top of the line. But I don't mind paying for quality re:comfort.

I went back this morning to exchange the pants. I got a much better salesperson this time. And I suggested looking at Tackla to the guy and he had never heard of it. I even spelled it out and he acted bewildered by the name. Even I recognized the brand before starting this thread. I look at their website and I see the 951s and it's right at the price I'm willing to spend so I'll probably go back.

So here's where I'm at and I would love to get some opinions from people: I tried on various sizes of the Bauer One80 and Vapor and the guy is recommending I get a large Vapor for the length. Which seems crazy because I'm absolutely swimming in the pants. Large is spec-ed for 34-38" waist and I'm 30-31". He recommended suspenders.

The original reason to look for new pants was because my current pants (along with being 14 years old) are too big. I figured "better fitting" pants = less material/bulk = more mobility. He's suggesting that bigger pants = less restriction = more mobility.

Granted, I'm 5'10" and the large is spec-ed for 5'9"-6'1", so I get it, that's my size for height. And I understand the need to have the pant overlap the knee pad. But it's hard to think about wearing pants that are so monstrously big.

Any suggestions?

Old
06-17-2012, 04:12 PM
AIREAYE

Order in the Small Talls.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:53 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

My son is close to 6' tall and very thin(30" waist) and the Bauers were too big in the waist except the small size but they weren't long enough.He eventually bought a pair of Reebok 5k's size medium and they fit his waist perfectly and are more than long enough.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:00 PM
flyers10

The One80's in the Small Tall should be good. I have the previous generation, One75, in a Medium Tall and it gives about an extra 1 inch in length. I'd prefer 2" extra but the 1" helps. I wear a 33 or 34 in jeans and the M is perfect waist wise.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't forget suspenders.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Stickchecked

This is why I buy equipment so infrequently. I'm real particular to get the right thing and once I get it, just use it for years. That's why I don't mind paying a bit more for better quality. I just hate buyer's remorse.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm going to ask around the locker room at my various pickups this week and see what else I can learn.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What's your price range?

My "main" pants are Tackla 9000's, which have phenomenal mobility and protection, but are pricey. I ate a little too much food this past winter though and had to pick up some Reebok 5k's in a larger size for summer league. Hoping to work my way back into the Tacklas by fall.

The 5k's are pretty decent. Lacking some of the better padding of course. I think the 7k's would be a GREAT compromise. I like them more than the Bauer pants for mobility and protection myself.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Stickmata

Tackla 951's in a long (+2"), probably a size 48 if you're a 31" waist. Great pant, great price. I'm tall and skinny as well and I love these pants.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What's your price range?

My "main" pants are Tackla 9000's, which have phenomenal mobility and protection, but are pricey. I ate a little too much food this past winter though and had to pick up some Reebok 5k's in a larger size for summer league. Hoping to work my way back into the Tacklas by fall.

The 5k's are pretty decent. Lacking some of the better padding of course. I think the 7k's would be a GREAT compromise. I like them more than the Bauer pants for mobility and protection myself.
At this point, I'll pay for fit.

I feel like the Tackla 9000s are not sold in Canada. I'm not finding any link to anything other than ebay. I'm definitely going to hunt down the Tackla 951s which are listed on Hockey Life's site. I've heard many suggestions for them.

Those Reebok 7Ks are rather garish.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:01 AM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

I have roughly the same dimensions. 5'10" and 32" waist.

I don't have a lot of experience with different pants as I'm pretty new to playing, but I did make a mistake with my original pant purchase and am really happy with the fit and comfort of the one I bought to replace it.

I had a lower end Bauer originally (I think One35 in medium), and the padding on it was abysmal. Went to a MEDIUM size CCM U+ Pro and what a difference. There's a ton of protection, the fit can be snugged up with the laces and the nylon belt system, and after a few skates, very comfortable and mobile (they were a little stiff when new).

Though I'm slightly bigger around the waist than you, given I can cinch up the belt beyond what I'd say is too tight, it might work for you as well.

The only con is that they are on the heavy side with the padding and the heavier material used for the shell, which I don't mind.

Also, they can be had for a relative deal ($140 down from $180 at Pro Hockey Life) since CCM has replaced this model with the U+ CL line.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
AIREAYE

We actually have quite a few pairs of Tackla 9000s, 5000s, 5500s and 951s, definitely the most Tackla I've seen anywhere.

And once more I'll say this : if you are looking for extra length, DO NOT even consider CCM as their pant lengths are shorter size-for-size than everyone else...

Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
leftwinger37

Have you ever considered trying a girdle?

I am in between retail pant sizes; I have a size Medium waist, but always ended up with Larges for the length. I decided about two years ago to try a girdle and haven't looked back. They are fully customizable so you can adjust the thigh pads for the perfect length. They also are not as bulky as most pants.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
It was Hockey Life which has a huge inventory. If I'm lucky they'll have an ST lying around that I can try on.

My salesperson wasn't the greatest. He made the comment that he'd used Bauer his entire life so let's just look at Bauer.
When I went to these stores, I arrived armed with research. The sales people were there to simply fetch what I ask for, which was pretty much "everything". Drives them nuts, but better that way than them driving you nuts with their lack of product knowledge.

I suggest the next time there, get them to haul all the pants in M and L out, and try everything you can. They have a large inventory, so you've got to find something I'd think.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayuelo View Post
I suggest the next time there, get them to haul all the pants in M and L out, and try everything you can. They have a large inventory, so you've got to find something I'd think.
We tried on the various sizes but both salespersons seemed reluctant to present anything other than Bauer. Go figure.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you've got the cash, Tackla 9000 48 tall will be the last pair of pants you'll ever need to buy.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Vuronov

Sorry, inadvertently made a new thread with this so no point double posting to this one.

Thanks for info though!

Last edited by Vuronov: 06-19-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Stickchecked

So after returning my pants to Hockey Life, I headed to a Source for Sports today to get my skates sharpened and to talk about pants. The guy wasn't the most talkative but knew what I needed. He agreed that a large Bauer was ridiculous and basically went straight to the Tackla 951s. So I got the last pair of 50s. A little big in the waist (32-34) but long enough, so a perfect compromise.

They have new stock coming in next week where he says they should have some small/medium Tall Bauers that I can try on, so I bought the Tacklas so I have them and will hold off using them until I can take a look at the new stock.

The whole process was so quick I'm half wondering if I got good service or if it comes from it being my third trip to a store.

However, I did get the Tackla's 25% off because they are last year's stock.

A side note: I had bought new shin guards at Sportcheck over the weekend to replace my 15.5" old-as-hell-ITechs. After coming home, I wasn't sure if 15" was long enough, especially since I normally wear them over my skate tongue. When I skated this morning, I tried switching the tongue on one of my legs and immediately preferred it. My ankles just have so much more mobility and feel less constricted.

I was originally convinced to tuck in my skate tongue by a teammate who had played Junior A because of the protective value. He was really adamant about its importance. Now I learn it's a 50/50, personal-taste kind of thing.

So now I know the 15" shin guards will work. (Thank god, I'm tired of returning gear.)

Old
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tacklas seem to have some room for error. I can squeeze into 50's and wear a 38" waist dress pant. They fit a hell of a lot better when I had a 35" waist though.

With the shins, it depends on the fit. I used to wear them inside the tongues because my Bauers were narrow at the bottom. When I got Reebok shins they were a lot wider so I started wearing them outside the tongues. It hasn't made any difference.

What is most important IMO is making sure the shin pad protects down to the top of the boot but doesn't push against it. The liner of my shins can move up or down a bit by velcro so I adjusted them a hair to make sure they don't push against the skate, now it's perfect.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
With the shins, it depends on the fit. I used to wear them inside the tongues because my Bauers were narrow at the bottom. When I got Reebok shins they were a lot wider so I started wearing them outside the tongues. It hasn't made any difference.
I noticed exactly that. My new pads are Bauer and the bottom is really narrow, almost disturbingly so. It doesn't rest flush against the tongue. That's what made me think I either need to change to tongue out or find shin pads that are wider at the bottom.

But now that I know I prefer tongue out, they fit perfect against my chicken leg ankles.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
AIREAYE

If you want to widen the bottom, just apply heat from a gun or hairdryer and stretch it.