HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
06-17-2012, 11:20 AM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Thanks for the encouragement guys and gals!

I'll be going to stick time today and working on stopping

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post

I'll be going to stick time today and working on stopping
Nah, don't bother. The ability to stop is WAY overrated. You do have boards you can crash into, just use those.

Glad to hear you had a good time! And congrats on the goal. My first ever goal was one where I just happened to be between the shooter and the goal and it just barely tipped off my stick. I had no idea that it was 'mine' until the shooter pointed and said "Hey, that one was YOURS!"

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
do0glas

Essentially how I scored lol. I was "going" for the tip. I just didn't expect it to work lol

Old
06-17-2012, 07:15 PM
do0glas

So I can stop at speed on my left (turning right). But the other way is choppy and I can't do it smoothly that way. Any ideas?

Old
06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
beth

Quote:
So I can stop at speed on my left (turning right). But the other way is choppy and I can't do it smoothly that way. Any ideas?
What is your hollow? Try a shallower one and see if that helps. But keep practicing!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:05 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
What is your hollow? Try a shallower one and see if that helps. But keep practicing!
im not sure what a hollow refers to?

Old
06-17-2012, 09:40 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

It has to do with how your blade is sharpened.

Most people will have one side that is stronger than other. For me, I can also stop when turning left, and barely when turning right. It comes from 3 years of speedskating, a sport where you never, ever have to turn right.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
It has to do with how your blade is sharpened.

Most people will have one side that is stronger than other. For me, I can also stop when turning left, and barely when turning right. It comes from 3 years of speedskating, a sport where you never, ever have to turn right.
oh ok. my theory right now is that im not as comfortable on my outside edge turning left. im digging my right foot into the ice too hard to compensate for the loss of balance i feel turning left. when i turn right it feels natural and im shaving that top layer off.

also is it okay if im not coming to a complete stop? basically i go into the stop and it kind of turns into a sharp turn going the other direction. im guessing it wont be a problem since if im stopping im trying to change direction

Old
06-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Safe and Sound

vCash: 100
Quote:
Nah, don't bother. The ability to stop is WAY overrated. You do have boards you can crash into, just use those.
Boards to crash into? Hell, I just use the other players!

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:06 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
When in play just stop on the side your comfortable with, but after the whistle when you're skating to the bench, during the pre-game warmup, or any other non-pressure situation make a conscious effort to stop on your bad side until you get it.

If you're in it for the long haul don't discount the effect some consistent practice can get you even if it's just in the 5 minute pre-game warmup. I learned to skate the puck with my head up by taking one with me on my two pre-game warmup laps and forcing my head to look keep looking straight. It took an entire year but eventually I got the hang of it.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
MattB43

Quote:
im not sure what a hollow refers to?

This does a pretty good job explaining it. Basically, the bottom of your blade isn't flat, its got a concave curve across it. Most skate shops have a "house grind" that they use, the place I go to uses a 9/16" hollow, but they'll change it if you ask.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB43 View Post
This does a pretty good job explaining it. Basically, the bottom of your blade isn't flat, its got a concave curve across it. Most skate shops have a "house grind" that they use, the place I go to uses a 9/16" hollow, but they'll change it if you ask.
The place I got to defaults to 3/8.

It's worth taking the time to try different hollows as it really varies person to person. You have to endure hollows that you immediately dislike but once you find one that you like, it's worth it. Write down notes to remember how you react to each one.

I loved my 1/2 cut once I tried it. Never tried anything more shallow but maybe I will now with the warmer weather. I've often had a shallower cut suggested in the summer.

For some perspective, check out this Pittsburgh Penguins skate chart. Notice how every skater has a cut of 1/2 or more. The only skaters with deeper cuts are Mike Rupp (Huge guy) and Sidney Crosby.

I bet most people use hollows that are too deep.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Wow Gonchar uses a 1" cut? I've never heard of a cut like that before.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Wow Gonchar uses a 1" cut? I've never heard of a cut like that before.
Silky smooth, baby. Yea, I was shocked to see that one too.

This chart really drove home the need to investigate shallower cuts. Not to be "like the pros", but because there's a reason why they use shallower hollows. I find I can lean into my turns a lot more comfortably using less energy, especially hitch turns. I "trip over my blade" far less frequently with a shallower cut.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
ganave

Pulled the trigger and bought the last of my gear.

I just need a jersey and I think I have everything. Can someone let me know if I'm missing something stupidly obvious?

Helmet - (new) Reebok 7K. I'll upgrade it when I move past the instructional league
Throat Guard - (new) Reebok Revoke
Neck Guard - Reebok
C/A - Miklin (solid protection, moves well)
Catcher - Koho 700 pro
Blocker - Bauer XR4
Legpads - Reebok 9K
Goalie Jock - (new) Paw Pad
Goalie Pants - (new) Reebok 9Ks
Thermal pants - EMS lightweights
Compression Shirt - Easton one that I use for baseball
Regular Pants - cheap Reeboks
Skates - (new) Bauer One60s
Suspenders - (new) A&R Suspenders
Stick - (new) Sherwood 530 - wooden, goalies seem to go back and forth on wood and composite.
Hockey Tape
Lace tightener
Stick Bag
Goalie bag

Everything should arrive this week! I have a friend who can airbrush my helmet for cheap. I'm tempted to get a Pomeranian on it with the usual open jaw of ferocious Pomeranian where the cage is.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
The place I got to defaults to 3/8.

It's worth taking the time to try different hollows as it really varies person to person. You have to endure hollows that you immediately dislike but once you find one that you like, it's worth it. Write down notes to remember how you react to each one.

I loved my 1/2 cut once I tried it. Never tried anything more shallow but maybe I will now with the warmer weather. I've often had a shallower cut suggested in the summer.

For some perspective, check out this Pittsburgh Penguins skate chart. Notice how every skater has a cut of 1/2 or more. The only skaters with deeper cuts are Mike Rupp (Huge guy) and Sidney Crosby.

Great chart!

I think you are right that a lot of the newer players with skates that are cut too deep.

"Standard Cut" in all the shops where I'm from is 7/16 so you really do need to ask and experiment. I think 1/2 is a great place to start and then you can adjust to your preference. For me, 5/8 gives me what I want with minimal break-in time.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Safe and Sound

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Pulled the trigger and bought the last of my gear.

I just need a jersey and I think I have everything. Can someone let me know if I'm missing something stupidly obvious?

Helmet - (new) Reebok 7K. I'll upgrade it when I move past the instructional league
Throat Guard - (new) Reebok Revoke
Neck Guard - Reebok
C/A - Miklin (solid protection, moves well)
Catcher - Koho 700 pro
Blocker - Bauer XR4
Legpads - Reebok 9K
Goalie Jock - (new) Paw Pad
Goalie Pants - (new) Reebok 9Ks
Thermal pants - EMS lightweights
Compression Shirt - Easton one that I use for baseball
Regular Pants - cheap Reeboks
Skates - (new) Bauer One60s
Suspenders - (new) A&R Suspenders
Stick - (new) Sherwood 530 - wooden, goalies seem to go back and forth on wood and composite.
Hockey Tape
Lace tightener
Stick Bag
Goalie bag

Everything should arrive this week! I have a friend who can airbrush my helmet for cheap. I'm tempted to get a Pomeranian on it with the usual open jaw of ferocious Pomeranian where the cage is.
Everything looks in order. One thing I would highly recommend, but is technically optional, is a pair of "soakers" for your skates - blade guards that will absorb the moisture of your skate blades after using them (if you let them stay wet for very long after use they'll start getting rusty).

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
ganave

Good to know, so much goalie crap. I actually do have soakers Bought them with the skates.

C'mon June 27th! I'll probably ditch my Sunday softball for an extra session and scrimmages. They're desperate for goalies for some strange reason.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:55 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Time View Post
Great chart!

I think you are right that a lot of the newer players with skates that are cut too deep.

"Standard Cut" in all the shops where I'm from is 7/16 so you really do need to ask and experiment. I think 1/2 is a great place to start and then you can adjust to your preference. For me, 5/8 gives me what I want with minimal break-in time.
I think 5/8 is what the rinks around me use but I'm not sure.

I'll have to ask. I think a 1" would be interesting to try - it's closer to what is on speedskates, which are completely flat. But I'm pretty much used to my hockey skates now, so it likely doesn't matter any more.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
SiberianBull

Send a message via Skype™ to SiberianBull
Yeah great chart, Matt!

Our rink uses 5/8 as a standard as well, but it was recommended to me to try the 15/16 hollow (I think that's what goalies use), because our ice is so soft. I have been using it and loving it.

SiberianBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
do0glas

ah i see. yea i was told to start with 1/2. honestly i do it well with my left skate and poorly with my right skate, so i dont think it has anything to do with the hollow. just a matter of being comfortable with the outside edge on one side and not on the other.

my rink offers skills/drills sessions every tuesday. not sure what they work on there but ill be finding out tonight!

Old
06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
do0glas

so, sorry for giving you my entire story but..

went to skills/drills last night. about 21 people showed up. did some skating drills to start, and one of them i did pretty badly in. basically you skate an N up the rink, and at each point you kind of slide into and go backward for the second leg. i could get going backwards but i could never get that slide. not sure what i was or wasnt doing in that situation.

passing drills went well for me and im still slow on my release, but the cage is hard to get used to right now so it may take some time.

got in a scrimmage at the end and i scored a noob back door tap in . i was focusing on wrapping the puck to keep possession a lot and setting up on the wall as a winger to help facilitate the breakouts. i shouldve asked some of them if they play in the leagues so i can start to gauge my skill level a bit more, but for now its fine. cant wait to go again!

Old
06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Copeland

Quote:
It comes from 3 years of speedskating, a sport where you never, ever have to turn right.
I lol'd SOOOO hard at this. Nice one!!!

Sorta keeping on the same issue of one side being better/stronger than the other... I think I figured out why my left skate ALWAYS ends up wanting to go on the inside edge rather than flat on both edges. At first I just thought it would go away eventually, as it as with many others, by just giving it time and practice. But then I noticed the other day on the elliptical how my left foot kept going like this \ while keeping it supposedly still on the foot thingies. My right was straight, so if I looked at my shoes they looked like this \ |

I kept correcting it and sure enough, I would look down and it was at an angle again (I think less than 45 but near it). So my left foot does this even when not on the ice. I tried paying attention to my feet while doing those single-foot balance things, and the same thing happened when balancing on my left.

Kind of a long post, sorry lol. Maybe it's an alignment thing, I dunno. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of some kind of way to condition / re-train my left side, short of going to a chiro (not sure if I trust them...). I guess if there's nothing that can be done I'm not opposed to going to a physio but I'd rather do something on my own first. Any suggestions?

Really annoyed at my hip/leg/ankle/foot/whatever it is...

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
oldfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post

fun chart,
as interesting and maybe more important are the profiles. Not all listed but looking at Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar is very interesting. Of course blade length has a great impact on the profile numbers. Even so, a 40/80 for Malkin on his longer blade is still a significantly flatter profile for a forward. He is a big guy though and prolly likes that extra push he can get.

Most people don;t know from hollows, especially beginners.
Most skates come stock around 9/16 ish / 13 mm. Most rink shops will use a hollow which seems best for their ice, unless instructed otherwise.
I've gotten used to 1/2 for most everything - a good compromise between bite and release for my slightly flatter profile. Much deeper than that and things get too twitchy for my blade length.

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:35 AM
howeaboutthat

I went to my first scrimmage last night which also happened to be the first time I've ever worn full hockey gear whilst skating!

I didn't fall over too many times, managed to remain on my feet after someone tried to check me (during a non-checking game) and even managed to get a few shots off. Its amazing how having to concentrate on the other aspects of the game makes you forget about what your feet are doing, which in turn seems to improve your skating. Oh and a stick makes an excellent third leg.

My only regret is that it has taken me until 35 to get into ice hockey.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote