HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Around the NHL 2012 Postseason/Offseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
  #401
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
And Yzerman continues to impress. Already better than a good half of the leagues GMs imo.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:11 PM
  #402
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
And Yzerman continues to impress. Already better than a good half of the leagues GMs imo.
Time will tell. Might be a good trade, might be a bad one. Two 2nd rounders and a 3rd for a guy with only 28 career starts whom you are expecting to be your #1 goalie is a bit of a gamble.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:56 PM
  #403
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 15,425
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Time will tell. Might be a good trade, might be a bad one. Two 2nd rounders and a 3rd for a guy with only 28 career starts whom you are expecting to be your #1 goalie is a bit of a gamble.
That's a major gamble, and I think there's a 50-50 chance that it blow up in Yzerman's face.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:47 AM
  #404
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
Remember, Tampa already made a trade like this for Mike Smith, the cornerstone of the Brad Richards trade. A promising young goaltender stuck behind an established starter...

How did that pan out for ol' Tampa?

There's definitely reason for the book to be out.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:23 AM
  #405
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Time will tell. Might be a good trade, might be a bad one. Two 2nd rounders and a 3rd for a guy with only 28 career starts whom you are expecting to be your #1 goalie is a bit of a gamble.
Teams do this all the time. You never really know what a goalie is capable of until you see them put a long string of NHL starts together.

Sometimes you get Bryzgalov, sometimes you get Roman Turek. This is more than the established price for a backup that you're hoping will be your starter - historically those guys have brought single 2nd round picks. But in this case, Tampa has such a huge hole in net and they have some extra picks from the deadline, so they have more flexibility than most teams.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
  #406
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Remember, Tampa already made a trade like this for Mike Smith, the cornerstone of the Brad Richards trade. A promising young goaltender stuck behind an established starter...

How did that pan out for ol' Tampa?

There's definitely reason for the book to be out.
Mike Smith won't be a starter in this league much longer. Certainly not a good starter.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:36 PM
  #407
Heaton
Moderator
||||||||||||||||||||
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,652
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Mike Smith won't be a starter in this league much longer. Certainly not a good starter.
On Phoenix I think he'll be decent. Phoenix made Bryzgalov look like a top 3 goalie.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:36 PM
  #408
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Do you even watch them when they're on the ice?
Yes. I do.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:39 PM
  #409
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
On Phoenix I think he'll be decent. Phoenix made Bryzgalov look like a top 3 goalie.
Yeah. If he's smart, he stays there.

If Phoenix and St. Louis' GM were smart, they'd trade guys like Eliot and Smith while their stocks are high (playing under Tippet and Hitchcock does that nearly every time).

If I was GM of a team, I'd hire Tippet and Hitchcock to help me trade journeymen goalies for good prospects/players or picks.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:30 PM
  #410
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 50
Tippet is a great coach. If they ever dump Babcock, he's the guy I'd hope is available to replace him. No one gets more from less.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
  #411
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,003
vCash: 528
Barret Jackman has signed a 3-year extension with the Blues worth 9.5 million.

3.167 caphit = great signing for them.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:47 PM
  #412
crashman
Registered User
 
crashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Tippet is a great coach. If they ever dump Babcock, he's the guy I'd hope is available to replace him. No one gets more from less.
He does seem to work magic. Him and Trotz and my two favorite coaches.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:48 PM
  #413
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Barret Jackman has signed a 3-year extension with the Blues worth 9.5 million.

3.167 caphit = great signing for them.
Yep. PK guy who can intimidate with physical play. Pretty nice.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
  #414
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
He does seem to work magic. Him and Trotz and my two favorite coaches.
Tippett got too friendly with the veterans during his time in Dallas. He completely allowed the country club atmosphere to take hold. And his veterans, despite how they were playing, could do no wrong... meanwhile you had James Neal and Jamie Benn knocking at the door. He also rode his goalie, Turco, into the ground each season so by playoffs the guy was gassed. And don't get me started on Tippett trying to sit on a 1 goal lead for half the game. Boring hockey to watch and furthermore it bit them in the ass dozens of time. The powerplay was always a sore spot, too.

Now all of that being said, I think he learned A LOT from those mistakes. He seems to has fixed most of them in Phoenix.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:50 PM
  #415
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yep. PK guy who can intimidate with physical play. Pretty nice.
Hometown discount. All the rumblings from Blues country said he wanted to stay and wasn't really considering leaving.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:08 PM
  #416
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Hometown discount. All the rumblings from Blues country said he wanted to stay and wasn't really considering leaving.
He's a guy I would have wanted. but we're full of left-handed shooting D

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:14 PM
  #417
sarcastro
Moderator
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He's a guy I would have wanted. but we're full of left-handed shooting D
His style would have filled a definite need, but he wasn't going anywhere. I'm kind of glad, because I don't want to stop hating him.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:55 AM
  #418
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
On Phoenix I think he'll be decent. Phoenix made Bryzgalov look like a top 3 goalie.
Bryz looked great in Anaheim. It's funny how when you have a great defense you look like a dominant goalie, and when you have a crap defense you look mortal. I call it the Marc-Andre Fleury effect.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  #419
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
harding off the market. i know a lot of you guys wouldn't have minded him as our back-up, but he's re-signed in minny.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
  #420
crashman
Registered User
 
crashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
harding off the market. i know a lot of you guys wouldn't have minded him as our back-up, but he's re-signed in minny.
I didn't think the Wings had a chance at him, but it shocks me that his cap hit is $1.9m and Bryzgalov's is $5.6m. Even before his terrible contract was signed and disastrous season, I would have taken Harding over Bryz. If he falters again this season, they seriously need to bury his butt in the AHL.

The Wild have a hell of a deal with Harding, it's just hard to say if he's been protected behind the Wilds defensive (and IMO, boring) style.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:57 PM
  #421
chances14
Registered User
 
chances14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
sens resign karlsson to 7 year contract. 6.5 mil annual cap hit

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Karlsson's $6.5-million cap hit ties him as sixth highest paid d-man in league, behind only Campbell, Doughty, Chara, Bouwmeester and Boyle.


https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/215212578325016576

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
  #422
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 15,425
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
sens resign karlsson to 7 year contract. 6.5 mil annual cap hit

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Karlsson's $6.5-million cap hit ties him as sixth highest paid d-man in league, behind only Campbell, Doughty, Chara, Bouwmeester and Boyle.


https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/215212578325016576
One of these players is not like the others.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:41 PM
  #423
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,350
vCash: 500
A lot of great deals so far this offseason. Not many overpaying, not a lot of steals. Although this will probably (ok, it will be) out the window once the wallets really open July 1st.

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
  #424
chances14
Registered User
 
chances14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
was listening to nhl live and pens gm ray shero said that jordan staal is not avaliable for trade. also mentioned that staal has said nothing about going to a different team for a greater role

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
  #425
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 15,425
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
was listening to nhl live and pens gm ray shero said that jordan staal is not avaliable for trade. also mentioned that staal has said nothing about going to a different team for a greater role
That may change based on contract negotiations.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.