HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What is wrong with Jonathan Bernier?

Old
06-17-2012, 12:11 AM
dj33habs

vCash: 500
Bernier is simply not a NHL starting goalie, enough said lets move on

dj33habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:43 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj33habs View Post
I would like to introduce everyone to our new "Resident Expert".

He will be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding NHL players and their respective skill sets.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:47 AM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj33habs View Post

I don't even think Lundqvist would be a starting goalie playing on a team with Quick.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:49 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I bet Bernier would be a top-20 starting goalie in the NHL right now, if not top 15.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

If Bernier had been drafted in the 6th round, and had not played in the World Juniors, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:47 AM
SufferingCatFan

The reason is the mindset of most GMs in losing franchises that could use a goalie, but could also lose their jobs if the trade does not work out in the short term. Additionally, there is a lot of discussion about rule changes to limit the size of goalie pads, which adds to the uncertainty.

It takes balls to trade for a young goalie who has yet to prove himself at the NHL level, because the failure rate is so high. It is much safer and cheaper to recycle a couple of veteran goalies like Florida did with Clemmenson and Theodore.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I bet Bernier would be a top-20 starting goalie in the NHL right now, if not top 15.
At playing hockey, sure. But would he be a top-20 guy at getting a team points when you factor in how bad he is at shootouts?

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:32 PM
deflowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
If Bernier had been drafted in the 6th round, and had not played in the World Juniors, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
True. But he wasn't. He was drafted early because he's showed promise and skills from a young age. That has value in projecting a player's NHL future, but it's true he is losing value every year as late bloomers are overtaking him.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:03 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Really? And when has he shown this? With the average SV% on the best defensive team in the league?

Bernier has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he'll be an above average starter. His draft position is all he has going for him.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Doug19

It's pretty simple really; Bernier isn't good, and he will never be even an average #1 goalie in the NHL. I'm very happy Columbus passed on him, and I feel for whatever team ends up bringing him in to be a #1.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Settle down LA fans. This is just a question based on reports coming out about teams that you would think would try to trade for him, not wanting him.

Back during the Carter trade a report came out saying Columbus didnt want Bernier as part of the package. Strange considering they desperately need a number one goalie.

Now, with the Lindback trade, a report came out stating Yzerman said he had no discussions about Bernier. Not even a feeler phone call.

So my question is, why is it that teams needing a goalie now and the future, are passing completely on chances to get Bernier?

Obviously its possible Bernier might not even be available, fair enough, but from the two reports that have come out, it seems like Columbus might have been offered him but didnt want him, and Yzerman didnt even try to make a trade for him, presumably because he saw things he didnt like.

Again, this is just a question so dont go ranting and raving about how amazing he is. I just want to know what the cause of two teams seemingly passing him over for other options.
The cause? His name is Jon Quick. You heard it here first.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:24 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
It's pretty simple really; Bernier isn't good, and he will never be even an average #1 goalie in the NHL. I'm very happy Columbus passed on him, and I feel for whatever team ends up bringing him in to be a #1.
It is very strong statement from fan of the most successful team in NHL.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
It is very strong statement from fan of the most successful team in NHL.
yes, because that has anything to do with anything. Bernier isn't good enough to even start in Columbus, he'd be the backup by month two here.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Petes2424

I figured it out. He's French...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
BringTheReign

Lombardi needs Bernier around until Quick is resigned, otherwise Quick's agent will really have the team by the balls because they would have no one ready to be a #1 without Bernier.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
Lombardi needs Bernier around until Quick is resigned, otherwise Quick's agent will really have the team by the balls because they would have no one ready to be a #1 without Bernier.
The above has absolutely no bearing on Lombardi's decision. Quick is gonna get paid regardless.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The above has absolutely no bearing on Lombardi's decision. Quick is gonna get paid regardless.
Its going to have alot in deans decesion. If hes got another choice then they dont have to give in to outrangous demands (anything over 7 millon is to much ) Dean will holdout on any player he finds wanting to much. Hes done it with drew last year. With Bernier hes got a back up plan should quick hold out. Hes gotten fair value in almost contract hes signed.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
At playing hockey, sure. But would he be a top-20 guy at getting a team points when you factor in how bad he is at shootouts?
How bad he is at shootouts?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Its going to have alot in deans decesion. If hes got another choice then they dont have to give in to outrangous demands (anything over 7 millon is to much ) Dean will holdout on any player he finds wanting to much. Hes done it with drew last year. With Bernier hes got a back up plan should quick hold out. Hes gotten fair value in almost contract hes signed.
Quick is going to get the going rate no matter if Bernier is there or not. Hockey's a pretty easy sport to figure out who's gonna get what and what price range they're going to fit into. NOW, if the Kings have some crazy thought process that Quick will walk after next season, sure, they should hold onto Bernier.

One things for sure. The Kings #1 priority right now, should be locking Quick up long term after July 1. They definitely dont want this to drag into the season. Rinne's contract is what he could and should receive. So 7/$49 million.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:42 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
You bet your ass its going to have a lot to do with Lombardis decision. If Bernier is traded before Quick is resigned it will be a huge shock.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
You bet your ass its going to have a lot to do with Lombardis decision. If Bernier is traded before Quick is resigned it will be a huge shock.
Absolutely zero bearing. The Kings will bring in a veteran backup and will have to play the same game regardless. They wont let Quick dictate what they will do with Bernier unless, like I said, if they have some reason to believe Quick is unhappy in LA and wants to leave via UFA.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:55 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Absolutely zero bearing. The Kings will bring in a veteran backup and will have to play the same game regardless. They wont let Quick dictate what they will do with Bernier unless, like I said, if they have some reason to believe Quick is unhappy in LA and wants to leave via UFA.
You obviously dont get how DL works. He has no reason to trade Bernier unless its a massive overpayment or Quick is resigned. You dont think DL learned his lesson in the past? It will be a major surprise if Bernier is traded before Quick is resigned. DL's whole philosophy is build from the net out. You honestly think hes going to trade a guy like Bernier without having his #1 Conn Smythe winning goalie signed to a deal?

Old
06-17-2012, 04:58 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Quick is going to get the going rate no matter if Bernier is there or not. Hockey's a pretty easy sport to figure out who's gonna get what and what price range they're going to fit into. NOW, if the Kings have some crazy thought process that Quick will walk after next season, sure, they should hold onto Bernier.

One things for sure. The Kings #1 priority right now, should be locking Quick up long term after July 1. They definitely dont want this to drag into the season. Rinne's contract is what he could and should receive. So 7/$49 million.
As far as the kings number one priority its to improve the hockey club for next year. So i would say its to focus on the draft in a few weeks. As the kings may not have any picks in the frist 3 rounds i would think hes mostly focus at changing that somehow. Kings cant offically begin to negotate till July 1 so i would say a few things is frist.

Next just cause nashville overpayed for there goalie doesnt mean dean will. He has in his nogotation always resigned players cheaper then the market says they will. Last year drew was going to get between 7.5 -8 million according to the market. He sat out most of training camp and settled on 7. Jack johnson also was rumoured to be asking in the 5-6 millon range and signed for 4,357,143 My point is Dean gets better then market value for his players

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
As far as the kings number one priority its to improve the hockey club for next year. So i would say its to focus on the draft in a few weeks. As the kings may not have any picks in the frist 3 rounds i would think hes mostly focus at changing that somehow. Kings cant offically begin to negotate till July 1 so i would say a few things is frist.

Next just cause nashville overpayed for there goalie doesnt mean dean will. He has in his nogotation always resigned players cheaper then the market says they will. Last year drew was going to get between 7.5 -8 million according to the market. He sat out most of training camp and settled on 7. Jack johnson also was rumoured to be asking in the 5-6 millon range and signed for 4,357,143 My point is Dean gets better then market value for his players
As I said, come July 1st Quick needs to be the Kings #1 priority. And the draft is next week, not in a few weeks. And, if you dont think Quick's gonna get 7 million per, you're kidding yourself. He's UFA next year and his situation is nowhere near what Johnson's was. And nobody in the NHL would've given Johnson $6 million and I can pretty much guarantee that's not what he asked for.

I've heard Kings fans ramble about this "better than market value" that Lombardi usually gets with his players. Can you name ONE? "Better than market value" is what Detroit has with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall and what they did with Lidstrom the last few years. Who on the Kings was signed for under market value? Doughty? He got $7 million per as a RFA. Thats nowhere near a discount. He's paid right where he should be. With most the top dman in the league. In fact, he's the second highest paid dman in the league.

Now, if you wanna say he trades for guys who signed contracts that might've been below market, I'll give you that. Richards and Carter...

Old
06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Ruminator

"What is wrong with Jonathan Bernier?"

Absolutely nothing.

He's a highly skilled goalie with fantastic poise and great positioning who has up to now been developed the right way by a good organization which recognizes his value. I would say he is exactly where he needs to be at this point in his career.
How anybody could watch this guy more than once and come away seeing anything other than a goalie who will be a #1 down the road is beyond me. I feel Bernier has the brightest future of all the hyped young goalies awaiting a starting gig (JB, Schneider, Rask, Markstrom etc.).

Too many fantasy hockey jockeys on this board responding with an opinion based on looking at a players stats.

Forget the numbers.....watch the player.

Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote