HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[SEL] Samuel Pahlsson signs 3-year deal with Modo

Old
06-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
[SEL] Samuel Pahlsson signs 3-year deal with Modo

The rumors has been going on for a while. Modo is holding a press conference tomorrow, at 1.30 PM CET // 7.30 AM ET, expected to announce that Pahlsson has agreed to a contract with the team.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...r-spel-i-modo/

Edit:

Confirmed:
http://modohockey.se/artikel/23854/

Quotes from Pahlsson:

Quote:
On his desire to win with Modo:

"You play to win, there's nothing else. It's not easy to win a championship but we're truly gonna push to make it happen"

"If you've won championships you want to do it again. There's nothing better than to stand there as a champion."

On winning the Stanley Cup:

"It's the greatest thing I've experienced. Winning the Stanley Cup is the biggest thing you can do. Of course, winning the Olympic Gold in Turin the year before was great when you are defending your nation's colors. But I'm ranking the Stanley Cup a little higher".

On playing in Vancouver:

"It was a lot of fun to get the opportunity to come to Vancouver. I switched from the leagues worst team to the best one. It was also my first time representing a team from Canada, which was also a little special.

"We won the regular season and the expectations were high on us in the playoffs but unfortunately it turned out a big dissappointment. It was tough getting eliminated in the first round against the LA Kings, but in hindsight we can say that it was a good team we were up against. From a hockey standpoint, it was good for me personally to switch from Columbus to Vancouver. But at the same time, it was tough being away from my family for such a long time".

On playing in Modo in his last stint there:

"We got silver both in 1999 and 2000. It was nice getting to the finals, but very tough standing there as losers. I would like to stand there as a winner in the future. Winning the gold with Modo would be fantastic.

On moving back home:

"It was a big step deciding to move back from North America. But we felt ready for it and when the decision is made, you kind of feel relieved. It's going to be very inspiring to pull on the Modo jersey again."

On what he knows about the organization:

"Of course I've followed them over the years, and have talked to a lot of people around and in the organization. It feels like Modo is going towards a very bright future. After a few years of missing the playoffs they now went to the quarter final. It's something we're going to keep building on. It's no secret that Modo have big ambitions and to become a part of that feels exciting."

On what the fans can expect from him:

"I've never been much of a point producer. But I'm aiming to produce some. What I can promise is that I'll always give my best, will play hard all the time and do what the coaches wants me to do. I'm really looking forward to this and as I said before, when you're in sports you want to win."

Last edited by Elvs: 06-18-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
CommonMeans*

vCash: 500
Wish we had him 3 years ago.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Ched Brosky

Dang! I thought he was going to wait til after free agency started. Thats what he said in an interview here! he said he was waiting for an offer from the Canucks and if he didn't get one and he didn't get an offer on July 1st he'd sign with Modo

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:25 PM
n00bxQb

Damn, I was hoping to see him back w/ the Canucks next year.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

I for one am happy the op posted this as Pahlsson was a solid player for a good chunk of seasons. I would have enjoyed him on the Leafs. I hope he does well for Modo.

Last edited by caley: 06-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.
tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
caley

If you're not interested in Pahlsson signing overseas, stay out of the thread. Simple.

I'm surprised Pahlsson isn't willing to see if he can sign a lucrative deal for another season, but good on him for choosing location over money, I suppose.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Rod Buskas*

b-b-b-but he was gonna shut down Kopitar in the first round lol

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Good move by Naslund and Foppa, I like this as a fan of MoDo.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Modo recently signed Marcus Nilson, but for unknown reasons the contract was torn apart a couple of days ago. It's possible that they had to give Pahlsson an ultimatum, signing now or not this summer. Finding a replacement for Nilson isn't easy at this point, and gets harder by each day. Teams of the SEL are only allowed to have two north american players on their roster, so July 1 doesn't really help either

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:44 PM
GCM
Stork

As a Canucks fan that's a shame to hear from a selfish standpoint.

He was awesome for us, good for the cost and worked really hard in the bottom 6. I think he made his linemates play better as well.

Sad to see him go, if true.

Happy for him though because I'm sure playing for Modo is an exciting prospect for him.

EDIT:

Wait a minute, could this simply be an insurance deal with an out clause to give him some security if by chance the NHL has another lockout? If so then this could be fairly meaningless.

Last edited by GCM: 06-17-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Eureka
GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:18 PM
InittoWinnick

Good riddance

InittoWinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Shame it didn't work out for him but good luck to him in Sweden.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:35 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Pahlsson is one of the more under appreciated players in the league. I know he wasn't particularly beloved in Columbus. Great guy, solid player who never took a shift off. The best parts of his game are things that just don't show up in the stat sheet, but if you watch the guy play, it's easy to like him and his game.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:38 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

35 years old and his best days were behind him. Frees up a spot for the kids or the canucks to get a cheaper, younger third liner

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:39 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

I'm glad Canucks fans liked his game and want him back. I was hoping he would sign with the Jackets again in the summer, especially since he said he didn't want to be traded.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
35 years old and his best days were behind him. Frees up a spot for the kids or the canucks to get a cheaper, younger third liner
It's not like he's not still effective as a 3rd or 4th line center. I'd love to have him back especially over Manny.

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
Remind me, how many even strength points did Kopitar have playing against Pahlsson in those 5 playoff games? I mean, that was the matchup right? So by how much did Kopitar dominate him?

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:00 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
It's not like he's not still effective as a 3rd or 4th line center. I'd love to have him back especially over Manny.
Just my opinion, but a healthy Malhotra > a healthy Pahlsson. However, it's still up in the air as to whether or not Manny can get back to 100% after his eye injury.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:07 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Remind me, how many even strength points did Kopitar have playing against Pahlsson in those 5 playoff games? I mean, that was the matchup right? So by how much did Kopitar dominate him?
Kopitar had 1G and 1A, but Pahlsson wasn't on the ice for the goal.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:13 PM
CommonMeans*

Is it possible that he has a drop-dead date whereby he would still have a window to sign a contract with an NHL club? Iirc I've read this to be the case with other players who have agreed to terms in Europe.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:15 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Wait a minute, could this simply be an insurance deal with an out clause to give him some security if by chance the NHL has another lockout? If so then this could be fairly meaningless.
Hope that this is the case, would love for him to still be in the NHL.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Henrik To Daniel

He played well for us down the stretch and in the playoffs, but I didn't see him coming back next year either way.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
...and he did

Winroba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
If true, that's another bottom 6 center crossed off my list for Buffalo. Also, the Canucks might have to look for another bottom 6 center now if they lose Pahlsson so there goes another one off the market and adds another team looking for one.

The guy loved Columbus and wanted to stay there. He didn't want to be traded. However old he is getting, he's still a great bottom 6 center and can do wonders on a checking line shutting the opposition's best line down. Not like he used to be but still good. Anyone remember the Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer line for the Ducks way back when? That line was a huge reason why they won the Cup in 06-07. Those days are gone but he's still a very effective player. Would have loved him for our 3rd or 4th line.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Modo recently signed Marcus Nilson, but for unknown reasons the contract was torn apart a couple of days ago. It's possible that they had to give Pahlsson an ultimatum, signing now or not this summer. Finding a replacement for Nilson isn't easy at this point, and gets harder by each day. Teams of the SEL are only allowed to have two north american players on their roster, so July 1 doesn't really help either
In regards to the two NA player limit, is it two players that were born in NA or is it players of any nationality that played in NA?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote