HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-17-2012, 11:43 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Jeez. It seems like we hear this crap EVERY year. I mean, this time last year weren't we hearing that the 2011 draft was weak, but 2012 was lining up to be a monster?

Serious question: what was the last draft year that was still being called deep in the week prior to the first pick?
I think a lot of the kids haven't developed as hoped. Subban was supposed to be a monster goalie prospect this year, for example. He's looked at now as merely OK.

There's a lot of nice depth from 1-65 or so. Should be some solid NHLers. But only one or two real stars. Originally, people thought 10-15 stars. Then no one really took the next step outside of Yakupov and Grigorenko. So I like the depth but I would be very surprised if we hit a top liner anywhere in thsi draft.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's cute and all. Same thing said by every other Russian kid.

Look. He's a goalie. They take far longer to develop. We all know this. This kid is NOT going to want to play in the AHL. He's going to want to stay in Russia and play. No reason to develop a goalie in the AHL.

What are we going to do once he is an established starter and making big money over there? I'm sure he'd love to come over on his rookie deal and play back-up goalie with the potential to be in the AHL (two-way deal).

There are other goalies that are of the same talent level yet much safer and easier to manage.
Many things could happen, every time I hear of Russian skies falling they never do. Radulov, who was a discipline case going into his draft, is the only example of what can happen with the KHL. IMO, I look at the future economics over there and I see Russian players flocking here fast.

And again, he could always be dealt to a team that needs a number 1. See Semeon Varlamov.

I prefer this quote in that article to the one you posted up:

Quote:
“There’s not as many high-end players as some previous drafts,” said an Eastern chief scout. “It’s not as deep as some previous drafts, but I really do believe that if you do your homework and follow your scouting model that you increase the probability of having a successful draft.

“The players are there. You’ve got to find them. You’ve got to nurture them. You’ve just got to do your job. I’d say after No. 10 or No. 11, it’s not great. It doesn’t go off the cliff. Depending on your needs, it seems to me there are going to be players there for teams.

“Sure, not all these players have the high probability to play like many did in other years, but there are still players who are going to be taken after No. 10 or No. 11 that are going to play. You’ve just got to make sure that you go find those guys.”

It’s going to be a challenge this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
You might find an exception but teams take the pick they can used soonest. No one knows what the future holds and the all try to improve their team or organization sooner, rather than later.
99% of the time thats true, but you think with LL firmly entrenched in the Swamp that he'd have a one year window after a Stanley Cup final appearance securely locked up

Last edited by Bluenote13: 06-17-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Woodleif has the Rangers taking Bozon in his mock.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...aft/55649854/1

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
28. New York Rangers Tim Bozon. Call this one a hunch. He seems like the type of speed-and-skills winger with upside that Gordie Clark likes, and the Rangers are certainly on the prowl to find some secondary scoring.

Kamloops Blazers. Swiss kid. Born in St.Louis. His dad played for the Blues.

http://thehockeywriters.com/tim-bozo...pect-profiles/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Woodleif has the Rangers taking Bozon in his mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Kamloops Blazers. Swiss kid. Born in St.Louis. His dad played for the Blues.

http://thehockeywriters.com/tim-bozo...pect-profiles/
His Dad Phillipe Bozon played a few seasons in the NHL. What I can recall was that he was a two way winger that had a little of everything - skill, speed, banging - but was unspectacular overall player. Of course he has a ton of Ranger connections:

Scored 8000 points playing alongside Benoit Hogue and NYR draft pick Stephane Brochu in the Quebec league. Played in the IHL with Peoria, lost a year from injury, played on St Louis Blues teams with Shanny & Nedved. WEnt back to Europe and played with the likes of Christian Dube, Jan Hlavac, Michal Grsek and Andreas Johansson. Coached once by former Ranger Lance Nethery.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
His Dad Phillipe Bozon played a few seasons in the NHL. What I can recall was that he was a two way winger that had a little of everything - skill, speed, banging - but was unspectacular overall player. Of course he has a ton of Ranger connections:

Scored 8000 points playing alongside Benoit Hogue and NYR draft pick Stephane Brochu in the Quebec league. Played in the IHL with Peoria, lost a year from injury, played on St Louis Blues teams with Shanny & Nedved. WEnt back to Europe and played with the likes of Christian Dube, Jan Hlavac, Michal Grsek and Andreas Johansson. Coached once by former Ranger Lance Nethery.
hmm...with Sather i wont be shocked if the Rangers draft him...it makes sense...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Bozon is a good pick, but man, he's a long way away from the NHL, IMO.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I like that Woodlief has Murray and Rielly as the top two defensemen, as he should, ahead of Dumba and Trouba.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:55 PM
eco's bones

Philippe Bozon--the dad--was actually French. The first French player ever to play in the NHL--though an unspectacular career. I remember him with the Blues primarily because of a collision between him and Brian Leetch in which Leetch got hurt--and was out of the lineup for several weeks.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't think Kyle ever nailed the pick for the Rangers in any of his mocks yet. The pick this year is so late it's really tough to call.

Personally I think if either Dalton Thrower or Brady Skjei are there Gordie is going to take one of them. Not completely sold on the idea that they are looking at a forward. I think it's BPA. Of course they are likely going to select someone nobody saw coming. Or maybe this is the year they trade the pick. Been a while since they did that.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:56 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Woodlief loved the Miller pick, loved the McIlrath pick and loved the Kreider pick.

Out of all the draft previewers, I tend to lean towards him and Bob Mackenzie.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:34 PM
nsvoyageurs

An interesting observation by Woodlief, am intrigued by him, but not at #28 overall; too much of a project at that point; if the Rangers want him, they could move down a few spots and still get him. Probably at least a couple of years away.

Personally, if they are on the clock at number 28 overall, I'd move down and get some extra picks, with only 4 in this draft, it can't hurt to have some depth in the system. Plus there will be players in the second round that will be good players for you in the not-to-distant future. Martin Frk (the only player in this draft I've actually seen play) should be there in the early to mid second, Nieves, Mac squared, a puck moving defenceman may be available at those points. I assuming Brian Hart will be gone by #28 overall.

nsvoyageurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Barnaby

If the draft went that way, then I'd be thrilled if the Rangers jumped up a couple of spots to grab Colberg. He sounds like the type of player the Rangers could use in the pipeline, and I remember Gordie making a comment not long ago about what a great job the Swedish system has gone about developing players - not to mention that the Rangers have done well with guys like Hagelin and Fast recently. If not, then I'd be more then happy to have a guy like Dalton Thrower. Mclrath, Erixon, and Thrower would give this team a very impressive group of d-men coming up the pipeline.

Edit: The more I think about Thrower, the more I like it... Let's see how much Sid and Malkin like driving the net when you have Mclrath and Thrower in your top 6..

Last edited by Barnaby: 06-17-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Woodlief loved the Miller pick, loved the McIlrath pick and loved the Kreider pick.

he also had jessiman as the 4th best player in 03 lol

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
he also had jessiman as the 4th best player in 03 lol
I think just about everyone had Jessiman high that year.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I think just about everyone had Jessiman high that year.
doesn't make it hurt any less LOL

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

Yes he definitely loved Miller. Ranked him 9th overall behind Couturier last year. Woodlief compares Miller to Eric Cole. I am pretty sure Woodlief had him higher than most of the other guides.

In his mocks for last year (Redline does 2 separate ones in each draft guide) he had the Rangers taking McNeil in the first one and then little Rocco Grimaldi in the second. Interesting though in the first mock he had Miller getting drafted before the Rangers picked. In the second he had the Rangers taking Rocco with Miller going 17. I think McNeil, Scheifele, and Biggs got most of the talk on last years board here. Maybe Armia right behind them.

This year in his mocks he has them grabbing Matteau in his first mock and Bozon in the second. Interesting though is that in both of his mocks he has Matteau going in the first round. In both of his mocks he doesn't have Thrower in the first round at all. Only in one of his mocks does he have Skjei. I'm a little surprised by that. I think whenever you have Dmen that can really skate and play a fierce game that usually you see them move up a few notches in the ranking systems. With Thrower maybe size could keep him from moving up, however he has the extra intangibles. Fierce, hitter/fighter and maybe more importantly compete level. For Skjei you get some of the same. Less physical, but will impose. Smoothe skater. Bigger player, Woodlief ranks him higher than Thrower. But...he gives both of these guys very good scouting reports but leaves them out of his first round mock. Skjei made his top 30 in his rankings though. he was 29th.

Nearly every scouting service compared Thrower to Kevin Bieksa, including Dalton himself. In typical fashion, Woodlief goes against the grain and compared him to Merk Giordano. He compared Skjei to Chris Phillips. Tim Bozon he compared to David Perron.

One guy not getting a lot of mention here is Pearsson. Maybe due to injury factor, but hey this is the year the year of the injury isn't it?

Old
06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So do the Rangers go after the other Stepan at #58 if he's available?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Thrower should be gone by the time we pick. If he isn't, you snatch him up and try not to laugh maniacally.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I think that would be a good idea

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If the draft is as ****** as some people seem to think--it really makes me wonder WTF the Devils were thinking not giving up this year's pick since they have to give up one in either 12, 13 or 14 and they're at the tail end of the first round on this one. I know Bluenote really respects LL but this strikes me as moronic if it was a conscious decision or almost criminally forgetful if it wasn't. I have to go with the former here because I would think David Conte would have most certainly reminded him if it had slipped his mind.
For one of two reasons: either they need the pick to complete a trade, or they really wanta goalie and believe one o the top three is the real thing!

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
If I get to hear "Stepan to Stepan, SCORE!", I will be a happy man.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
No.

He's a mid round pick IMO

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:31 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
For one of two reasons: either they need the pick to complete a trade, or they really wanta goalie and believe one o the top three is the real thing!
The goalie option was touched on here a couple pages back. NJ currently has 3 goalies ranked in their top 10 prospects--Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Clermont. Wedgewood considered the best at the moment--their thinking that he has No. 1 potential. Whatever the case I don't think any of them are likely to replace what Brodeur gave them all these years. Like him or not he'll be in the HOF as soon as he's eligible. I don't think NJ can rely on either Vasilevskiy or Subban being around when their turn comes and it's doubtful to me that they'd rate Dansk that much higher than Wedgewood.

As for completing a trade--why would they need to wait? This is the year really when you give it up. Tail end of the first round of an iffy draft class. Between this year and last they've picked 4th and 29th. There are no guarantees they'll even make the playoffs next year--especially if they lose Parise. Technically it's a first round pick--whatever that means--we could almost call it a glorified 2nd round pick. It doesn't make sense to me what LL is doing here. I suppose he could try to move up with it if he has a certain player targeted but he will have to combine it with another asset(s). We're all over the board ourselves who to take picking one spot earlier and we're looking almost exclusively at projects more likely 3 years away.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:22 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I mentioned this before, but,...

If we select a goaltender and the Devils get Kerdiles...

Im flinging feces, so look out.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote