HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Just how good will Bernier be?

Old
06-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Kingler

vCash: 500
Bernier can be very good. His style is predictable and IMO he will "age" more gracefully than Quick because he relies more on technique and less on athleticism.

If he's traded, to whatever team he goes to, the one thing that he will have over anyone is the drive. Must be excruciatingly painful to just sit there every single game from 1 to 20 without a chance to play. If anyone is hungry to win the cup then its Bernier, I bet he will be out to prove that he can take a team all the way as well

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver#Kings Bernier had asked for a trade in régular season, says he's happy to've stayed on board for Cup quest #SCFinals #NHL

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Zatkoff is an unrestriced free agent on July 1, so unless the Kings sign him shortly, he is no longer in our plans.

The Kings would be foolish, short of a massive overpayment for Bernier, to trade him this year.

1) You need an NHL caliber goal every game, not just when the starter is playing. I want to win every single time. Good goal tending gives you that chance. (Didn't we just learn this boys and girls).

2) Lombardi needs a bargaining chip. Quick is signed for one more full season. Obviously, everyone wants to get Quick signed to an extension. Bernier wants to play, and has high end NHL talent, but Lombardi needs to hold on to him until Quick is signed long term, plus we need an NHL caliber back up. Sucks for Bernier, but that's the way it is.

3) Injuries happen in this league. If Quick was seriously injured (think concussion), then what? Martin Jones? This isn't a video game, this is the back bone of your team built around defense. No way Lombardi is that much of a gambler short of massive overpayment.
I wonder why Zatkoff's stock fell so far this year? I didn't follow the Monarchs as closely as I usually do. But Zatkoff stuck around for the games in Europe. What happened that made him fall out of the Kings plans?

Granted he could turn into a Jason Labarbera type where he was good in the ECHL/AHL but is a journeyman backup at best in the NHL. But from what I followed in Ontario and in Manchester, he was definitely a goalie with a good upside.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

vCash: 592
I believe Bernier will be a Top-10 goalie while in his prime.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I hope we get a better return for Bernier than the Preds did for Lindback.

Quote:
The Nashville Predators traded goalie Anders Lindback and centre Kyle Wilson to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a package of draft picks and minor league goalie Sebastien Caron.

The Predators get two second-round selections (37th and 50th overall) in next Friday’s entry draft, plus a third-rounder next season.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ee-draft-picks

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK View Post
Sure. He is one of the top three goalie prospects in the NHL. There has even been debate about trading Quick and signing Bernier.

For NFL fans it is similar to the Chargers when they traded Drew Brees and decided to keep Philip Rivers.
Didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if anyone else caught it, BUT Drew Brees wasn't traded by the Chargers.

He left as an UFA. Coming off major shoulder reconstruction surgery.

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I wonder why Zatkoff's stock fell so far this year? I didn't follow the Monarchs as closely as I usually do. But Zatkoff stuck around for the games in Europe. What happened that made him fall out of the Kings plans?

Granted he could turn into a Jason Labarbera type where he was good in the ECHL/AHL but is a journeyman backup at best in the NHL. But from what I followed in Ontario and in Manchester, he was definitely a goalie with a good upside.
Zatkoff went to Europe with the Kings, because management wanted Jones to get playing time in Manchester. Zatkoff's stock has been below Jones all season.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Regardless of the Zatkoff-Jones battle right now in the minors...

I think if Bernier is traded, Zatkoff will be the back up to Quick. Rightfully so, as he has put in more time with the organization and they will want Jones/Berube/Gibson to be the battle in the minors. The more playing time those guys get the better.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I personally think the Kings will get a veteran backup. Either coming the other way (with other pieces) in a Bernier trade or signed as a free agent.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:33 PM
johnjm22

I doubt Bernier would return much in a trade. Maybe a first rounder or a decent prospect.

If he does get moved, I think he would be part of a package deal.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I still think that Bernier will be a solid #1 goalie with the potential of being a great one. I no longer care where he ends up since Quick is already a Stanley Cup champion and Smythe winner.

We don't have to worry about Bernier winning a cup before the Kings.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I personally think the Kings will get a veteran backup. Either coming the other way (with other pieces) in a Bernier trade or signed as a free agent.
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand this position.

If faced with a choice of dealing Bernier as a package for a more useful player and signing a veteran back up to a one year deal, or signing Zatkoff to a one year deal...why not reward Zatkoff and allow his stock as an NHL goalie rise a little bit?

Maybe after his contract is up he'll get a little more money then he would otherwise. It's just to benefit him personally I guess. But if the guy has paid his dues why not let him get a few starts at the NHL level and get his career going?

It's a wash to go ahead and let a 24 year old who's been with us walk...then to say sign a middle aged career back up ala Jason Labarbara.

Maybe you want a more experienced guy if Quick gets hurt, but in reality if Quick gets hurt we are ****ed anyways regardless if it's a vet in net or a young guy.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Kingurentai

All I know is that the line of thinking that, we somehow [B]have to[B] trade him so he gets a chance to play somwhere, is ridiculous. That's what contracts are for, and this is the NHL. He can wait another year or two.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote