HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Nigel Williams......TJ Hensick......Colby Cohen.......Troy Rutkowski.

Avs giving up on another player the fans wanted them to keep. This one will probably come back to bite the Avs in the ass just like the other three did.
At least they got something for the other three.

Hopefully Jori's right about them re-signing. Dater's obviously just waiting for someone to figure it out for him, so she's the best source we have.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Yeah, he's new therefore he will be an NHL'er.
No smart***, no one's claiming he's a sure fire NHLer, but he could very well end up as a decent bottom pairing d-man. Rutkowski was never given a chance to show what he can do in our system and he was let go for nothing. He's our 3rd best prospect on the right side and the only one that brings some physicality, there was just no reason not to sign him as some sort of an insurance policy in case Barrie and/or Elliot bust out.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

If Rutkowski was good enough, he would have been signed. Simple as that really.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
At least they got something for the other three.
That's true.

Quote:
Hopefully Jori's right about them re-signing. Dater's obviously just waiting for someone to figure it out for him, so she's the best source we have.
Jori said their rights have been relinquished so they're no longer with the Avs. I don't think she ever said they have been re-signed.

Quote:
I agree. Sherman and our scouts have proven over and over again that they know what they're doing.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That's true.

Jori said their rights have been relinquished so they're no longer with the Avs. I don't think she ever said they have been re-signed.

I agree. Sherman and our scouts have proven over and over again that they know what they're doing.
Yea I was just going off what people were saying here. After looking at it, it looks like she meant the players names have been "added" to the tracker, in which it states their rights have been relinquished.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
No, it's not simple as that.

There are hundreds of players in history that have been viewed as 'not being good enough' by one team, then gone on to be elite players on another team.

I'm not saying Rutkowski was a lock to be a good NHL player, I just think that he had shown me enough to be worth signing.

My full account
My Avs-only account
Old
06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

There are hundreds of players in history that have been viewed as 'not being good enough' by one team, then gone on to be elite players on another team.

I'm not saying Rutkowski was a lock to be a good NHL player, I just think that he had shown me enough to be worth signing.
... and there are millions of players that went to become nothing. If Rutkowski does become a solid NHL'er you guys can I say I told you so or I informed you thusly. Until then Rutkowski is a dime a dozen prospect.

The avs obviously feel different.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:

Absolutely, and while I don't know enough about Rutkowski to say one or the other, the Avs do have a pretty good track record of evaluating their prospects, and letting go of the right ones. I don't agree with Ronaldo's statement, chances are the Avs are aware of everything we are and more, and come to the right conclusion. Even if it makes no sense on the surface.

That said, it seems odd that they would let him go at this stage of his development, rather than signing him and seeing how he does in pro, and then making this decision on him.

I feel like there is some other reason beyond his play and his future, as to why they didn't sign him. I would guess either some sort of drastic attitude or work ethic issues which it seems like would have surfaced if they were that bad. Or they are concerned about being over their contract limit at some point this offseason, based on their projections or future plans.

If the former is the case that's fine. If the later is the case, I have a hard time understanding why they viewed signing all those goaltenders as a bigger priority to a guy like Rutkowski. With Varly, Jiggy, Aitto, Pickard, and possible Desjardins, it seems as though they didn't need that extra insurance, but maybe they wanted to make absolutely sure Millan and Patterson don't turn into the best of the bunch.

The strangest thing about all of this, is Rutkowski seems like the type of D they love. A smart offensive D man, that just needs to work on his game in his own end. The Avs never have a problem with being patient with a guy like that, and even if they consider to have that type of player in spades, they have also veen very vocal about seeing that as a positive not a negative.

I wonder if this could be as simple as Rutkowski seeing all the guys ahead of him, and refusing to sign anything but an overpayment. I'm not too familiar with what the best course is for prospects, but that seems like a huge gamble to be re-drafted, or signed somewhere better, rather than trying to make a name for yourself and signing the deal on the table with the team that drafted you.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Absolutely, and while I don't know enough about Rutkowski to say one or the other, the Avs do have a pretty good track record of evaluating their prospects, and letting go of the right ones. I don't agree with Ronaldo's statement, chances are the Avs are aware of everything we are and more, and come to the right conclusion. Even if it makes no sense on the surface.

That said, it seems odd that they would let him go at this stage of his development, rather than signing him and seeing how he does in pro, and then making this decision on him.

I feel like there is some other reason beyond his play and his future, as to why they didn't sign him. I would guess either some sort of drastic attitude or work ethic issues which it seems like would have surfaced if they were that bad. Or they are concerned about being over their contract limit at some point this offseason, based on their projections or future plans.

If the former is the case that's fine. If the later is the case, I have a hard time understanding why they viewed signing all those goaltenders as a bigger priority to a guy like Rutkowski. With Varly, Jiggy, Aitto, Pickard, and possible Desjardins, it seems as though they didn't need that extra insurance, but maybe they wanted to make absolutely sure Millan and Patterson don't turn into the best of the bunch.

The strangest thing about all of this, is Rutkowski seems like the type of D they love. A smart offensive D man, that just needs to work on his game in his own end. The Avs never have a problem with being patient with a guy like that, and even if they consider to have that type of player in spades, they have also veen very vocal about seeing that as a positive not a negative.

I wonder if this could be as simple as Rutkowski seeing all the guys ahead of him, and refusing to sign anything but an overpayment. I'm not too familiar with what the best course is for prospects, but that seems like a huge gamble to be re-drafted, or signed somewhere better, rather than trying to make a name for yourself and signing the deal on the table with the team that drafted you.
We have 45 out of 50 with all of our UFA's (and some RFA's that might be let go like Porter) still counting, I really don't see that as a problem.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:38 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Here's the latest update on Joey Hishon from the Owen Sound Sun Times. Starting to look better that he'll be good to go for training camp. Posted by Digger from Electric Ice (bolded is my emphasis).

Quote:
Hishon back on ice after concussion forced him to give up life he loved

By Bill Walker

There were times in the last year that Joey Hishon needed a sign.

Nothing fancy really.

Just a piece of cardboard that said “I’m feeling better but not ready to play hockey yet”.

The former Owen Sound Attack centre has been asked about his health — or more accurately the health of his head — for the last 12 months.

Ever since he was knocked out of the 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup with a concussion.

“All the time people were asking me when you coming back, how much longer, how you feeling,” Hishon said on Saturday prior to the Attack’s annual alumni golf tournament.

“It got to be frustrating but I have to expect that question, especially now given the concussion. I shouldn’t expect people to forget about it.”

So Joey, how are you feeling?

“I’m feeling really, really good actually,” Hishon laughed, still needing that sign.

“Just last week I started working out again and skating. It took me long enough but it’s definitely a good feeling that I’m back into it again.”

The centre had 110 goals and 145 assists in 214 Ontario Hockey League regulars-season games with the Attack over four years from 2007 to 2011.

Hishon’s last game of any sort was in May of 2011 at that fateful Memorial Cup when he was knocked out of action for more than a year after taking an elbow from Kootenay’s Brayden McNabb in the Attack’s first game of the championship.

And how much he loved the sport became evident when he wasn’t allowed to play it.

“It definitely puts everything into perspective and I’m going to appreciate everything a lot more now,” the Colorado Avalanche first-round pick said.

“When you go through a situation where something you love is completely taken away from you, it’s not fun at all. Everything’s looking up now and it’s very exciting.”

Old
06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
Here's the latest update on Joey Hishon from the Owen Sound Sun Times. Starting to look better that he'll be good to go for training camp. Posted by Digger from Electric Ice (bolded is my emphasis).
Thanks for this.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Much appreciated PensFan101

Old
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. This is the type of thing I was talking about when I said it shouldn't be that hard for a reporter to dig up info and do a story about how he's actually doing, without twitter being your only source.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Team Canada named for this summer's Canada-Russia Challenge..... No Duncan Siemens. He's surely good enough to be there, but wasn't named. Apparently he's not in their good books for some reason.

Here's the roster.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/

Old
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Team Canada named for this summer's Canada-Russia Challenge..... No Duncan Siemens. He's surely good enough to be there, but wasn't named. Apparently he's not in their good books for some reason.

Here's the roster.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/190000/
Shocker.

What no Visentin??? Isn't he eligible to lose the gold medal for a 3rd straight year for Canada??

Morons.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Shocker.

What no Visentin??? Isn't he eligible to lose the gold medal for a 3rd straight year for Canada??

Morons.
No, he's a 92 birth year. This is for 93's and under.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Finally, seems like he's well on his way back. Cannot wait to see this kid in the NHL, sure hope he can become that 70PT danny.b type player.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:02 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Rutkowski

I was able to watch Rutkowski the last three years and I even did a depth scouting report on him the somewhere in one of the last three prospect threads. I called him a #6-7 slightly better version of Matt Hunwick and he is just that. Not as of a good skater, but better in the defensive zone.

The problem for Troy is he never really did improve. Came out flying in his second year for the Winterhawks, but basically flat-lined after that. Yes I think we should've signed to give him a chance because he does have a good skill set with a chance of improvement, but with our depth in the defense pool (even in the AHL as well) and probably drafting another defenseman in the upcoming 2012 draft gave him the short end of the stick.

Same with Silas-good draft year, but again flat-lined after that. And I am kind of pissed we gave up two picks for a bust.

Rutkowski could and IMO will have a Kyle Wellwood type of career. Very solid in the junior level(s), but can't plateau into an NHL regular.

I hope this can clear up some confusion.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I was able to watch Rutkowski the last three years and I even did a depth scouting report on him the somewhere in one of the last three prospect threads. I called him a #6-7 slightly better version of Matt Hunwick and he is just that. Not as of a good skater, but better in the defensive zone.

The problem for Troy is he never really did improve. Came out flying in his second year for the Winterhawks, but basically flat-lined after that. Yes I think we should've signed to give him a chance because he does have a good skill set with a chance of improvement, but with our depth in the defense pool (even in the AHL as well) and probably drafting another defenseman in the upcoming 2012 draft gave him the short end of the stick.

Same with Silas-good draft year, but again flat-lined after that. And I am kind of pissed we gave up two picks for a bust.

Rutkowski could and IMO will have a Kyle Wellwood type of career. Very solid in the junior level(s), but can't plateau into an NHL regular.

I hope this can clear up some confusion.
Welcome back S E P H and thatnks for the breakdown of Rutkowski.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

No problem.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:06 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Guys, sorry if this is the wrong thread but I didn't want to open a new one. My home team just signed Ray Macias for the coming season and I want to get some first hand information from guys who have seen him play. What can you tell me about him. Thanks in advance

Old
06-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

I can't wait to see what Sgarbossa does this year on LEM. He should be the #1 or #2 C for sure.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
Guys, sorry if this is the wrong thread but I didn't want to open a new one. My home team just signed Ray Macias for the coming season and I want to get some first hand information from guys who have seen him play. What can you tell me about him. Thanks in advance
We really did not get to see him too much.

He was a depth guy at best in the AHL and useless in the NHL, demonstrated pretty poor defensive awareness and hockey understanding in my opinion. I believe the only thing he had going for him was his shot.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

I just went on the Avs main site and it states that we still hold the rights to Brendan Maxwell????

I thought we had cut ties with this guy? Wazzup with that?

So now we'll have:

Aittokallio (Finland)
Cann (very surprised we kept him, confused really)
Maxwell (where is he gonna play?)
Millan
Patterson
Pickard

Even with 2 spots in the AHL and 2 spots with the Allen Americans (may actually be only 1 spot, since we appear to be sharing this affiliation with Dallas?) where are these guys going to play??

Old
06-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I just went on the Avs main site and it states that we still hold the rights to Brendan Maxwell????
He was signed to an ATO with Montreal at the end of last season, we do not control him.

Closed Thread