HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Evansville IceMen named new ECHL affiliate

Old
06-15-2012, 12:51 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Evansville IceMen named new ECHL affiliate

New ECHL affiliate, the Evansville IceMen (the Chicago Express folded at the end of last season)

http://www.evansvilleicemen.com/3972...s-blue-jackets

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

vCash: 500
Nevermind, read the article.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Is this another startup team or no..?
Moving up from the CHL to the ECHL.

06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Discovered while looking at that site that Fort Wayne is in the ECHL now (and in the same division as the IceMen, naturally; might make for an interesting rivalry). I wonder what happened to that particular affiliation?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Discovered while looking at that site that Fort Wayne is in the ECHL now (and in the same division as the IceMen, naturally; might make for an interesting rivalry). I wonder what happened to that particular affiliation?
I assume that you're referring to the league affiliation.

The CHL is dying. There were 14 teams in the league last season. This season there will be 11. Fort Wayne and Evansville bolted for the ECHL. Dayon and Rio Grande Valley folded. There will be a new team in the Denver area (the Cutthroats).

There are at least 3 other CHL teams in terrible financial shape (Bloomington-IL, Quad Cities-IL, and Arizona-Prescott). The life expectancy of these three teams is not long. The CHL is extremely spread out geographically and travel costs are heading in the prohibitive direction for many teams.

With Evansville and Fort Wayne moving to the ECHL, they will have Kalamazoo, Toledo, Cincinnati and Wheeling within easy one day trip driving distances. The move to the ECHL works from stability, travel expenses and rivalry perspectives. Indianapolis could join the mix in the future as well.

The Evansville Icemen have cool uniforms. Mason will look great in one. I look forward to seeing him play in Cincinnati this season.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 06-15-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I assume that you're referring to the league affiliation.

The CHL is dying. There were 14 teams in the league last season. This season there will be 11. Fort Wayne and Evansville bolted for the ECHL. Dayon and Rio Grande Valley folded. There will be a new team in the Denver area (the Cutthroats).

There are at least 3 other CHL teams in terrible financial shape (Bloomington-IL, Quad Cities-IL, and Arizona-Prescott). The life expectancy of these three teams is not long. The CHL is extremely spread out geographically and travel costs are heading in the prohibitive direction for many teams.

With Evansville and Fort Wayne moving to the ECHL, they will have Kalamazoo, Toledo, Cincinnati and Wheeling within easy one day trip driving distances. The move to the ECHL works from stability, travel expenses and rivalry perspectives. Indianapolis could join the mix in the future as well.

The Evansville Icemen have cool uniforms. Mason will look great in one. I look forward to seeing him play in Cincinnati this season.
I was referring more to the Fort Wayne affiliation; when they were still in the CHL we had them as our second-tier affiliate.

(Also, the chances of Mason ever playing any pro hockey in Cincinnati or in any pro league below the AHL are laughable. But feel free to dream. )

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I was referring more to the Fort Wayne affiliation; when they were still in the CHL we had them as our second-tier affiliate.

(Also, the chances of Mason ever playing any pro hockey in Cincinnati or in any pro league below the AHL are laughable. But feel free to dream. )
Fort Wayne might go without an affiliate. Teams can be successful in the ECHL without one. Las Vegas made it to the league finals this season and Alaska won the whole shebang without an affiliate in 2011.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2472

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=366

Check out these two goalies with far better credentials than 'ole Mase.

The only difference is that Mason will probably be "bought out" at a third of his $3.2 million due and avoid Irbe's fate and Mason doesn't have the passion for the game that Berthiaume had. So, you're probably right. I won't see him playing in Cincy this year.

No great loss. I've had my fill of him just 88 miles north over the past few years

Old
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Check out these two goalies with far better credentials than 'ole Mase.
Not to get too far off topic, but I could probably shut out the midget jackets.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Not to get too far off topic, but I could probably shut out the midget jackets.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=101663

Allen York had a lower gaa in the NHL with the Jackets than he had in both the AHL and ECHL. By almost a full goal per game.

Jonathan Quick-the Stanley Cup MVP-spent almost a full season in the ECHL in2007-08.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=87893

His gaa in Reading was higher than in any one of his full seasons in the NHL.

The ECHL isn't a bad brand of hockey. Many future NHL goalies start their professional careers in the "E". Mason wouldn't be an all star in the ECHL. He probably wouldn't even be a top 10 goalie in the league.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:58 PM
PuckNerd

Another reason for me to buy the ECHL America One season pass.

PuckNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:26 PM
eljefe72

That's friggin' sweet. E-ville is my hometown. May have to take a trip down there during the upcoming hockey season and catch a game (wearing a CBJ jersey, of course).

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote