HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
06-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
What could have been... I have hated Fehr, Selig and August of 1994...what could have been...

What happened to the Spos after that was tragic...

Maybe someday, just maybe someone will bring them back...?
You should target your hate towards the people of Montreal(that didn't support the team despite great teams) and the politicians(for not building the needed downtown stadium).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
WG

You should target your hate towards the people of Montreal(that didn't support the team despite great teams) and the politicians(for not building the needed downtown stadium).

Don't forget to save some venom for Claude Brochu and the consortium who were not interested in fielding competitive teams as much as lining their pockets with MLB revenue sharing money.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Hell Ya! Welcome home Expos! Thx Annakin Slade!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:34 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Hell Ya! Welcome home Expos! Thx Annakin Slade!

Boy, Rodney Scott looks like a hobo...lol

Is that Bryn Smith at the right end???

And Roland Office is still ugly.

Cromartie, on the other hand, look in mighty good shape.

Bill Gullickson looks great, and Bill Lee looks like...well, Bill Lee.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You are right, there is alot of room to have hate and dissapointment to go around...it was just brutal...forgot to mention that puke Loria also...

Could never figure out why fans didn't support the team better, but when they started to literally give players away for nothing, it seemd everyone jumped off the bandwagon, which was sad to see. A big stadium almost empty almost all the time...

I would hope someday, they will return...but there are so many things that would have to take place, the most difficult, would be an owner with alot of $$$

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Best decision ever made was to not build a stadium. Great decision, if politicians were more aware of the public good instead of private interests and electoralist decisions, we would live in a much better place. Sadely, it was the only good decision made by Bouchard in his entire reign.

As for fans, well name me fans who still support their team after what happened in Mtl ? For christ sake, there were almost as few people in Miami watching the Marlins, the last years, yet, there were never the amount of disrespect toward a fan base that we had to deal with.

The hate should almost entirely go on Bud Selig who did everything he could to ruin baseball in Montreal, the economics of baseball which favor the richest (partly to blame on Selig again) and Brochu and Loria for being *******s owners.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Best decision ever made was to not build a stadium. Great decision, if politicians were more aware of the public good instead of private interests and electoralist decisions, we would live in a much better place. Sadely, it was the only good decision made by Bouchard in his entire reign.

As for fans, well name me fans who still support their team after what happened in Mtl ? For christ sake, there were almost as few people in Miami watching the Marlins, the last years, yet, there were never the amount of disrespect toward a fan base that we had to deal with.

The hate should almost entirely go on Bud Selig who did everything he could to ruin baseball in Montreal, the economics of baseball which favor the richest (partly to blame on Selig again) and Brochu and Loria for being *******s owners.
Amen to that.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Why ins;t this pinned? Were the same as Toronto-Boston-NYC!

Were going to get the team back!

http://mbp2012.com/

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:07 AM
bsl

Quote:
I loved the Spos, and I got to the Stade when I could when I was at Uni. But it was a pain in the ass, and a bad place to watch B ball. Way too dark. You want the sun and breeze on your face when you watch the summer game.

But man, I went to Jarry Park all the time as a kid, and you could not beat that. It was so easy, and so fun.

If we had got off our ass and built a cheap and cheerful 30,000 seater downtown, I would have gone to games all the time in summer, when I was a student. So would a lot of others.

Damn right. A sunny Sunday in July, the Mets in town. A 5 minute bike ride to the park to sit in the bleachers for 20 bucks, catching rays, drinking beer with my buddies and the girls, and watching the Spos? ****ing brilliant.

A downtown, sunny park would have saved the team. It would have been a party every weekend. That's Montreal's style, and the team and government just did not understand the casual but want fun market.

The Stade just was not fun. We ****ed that up badly.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
TorontoSports

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/366519...ontreal/page/2

Spaceman..

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:39 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I loved the Spos, and I got to the Stade when I could when I was at Uni. But it was a pain in the ass, and a bad place to watch B ball. Way too dark. You want the sun and breeze on your face when you watch the summer game.

But man, I went to Jarry Park all the time as a kid, and you could not beat that. It was so easy, and so fun.

If we had got off our ass and built a cheap and cheerful 30,000 seater downtown, I would have gone to games all the time in summer, when I was a student. So would a lot of others.

Damn right. A sunny Sunday in July, the Mets in town. A 5 minute bike ride to the park to sit in the bleachers for 20 bucks, catching rays, drinking beer with my buddies and the girls, and watching the Spos? ****ing brilliant.

A downtown, sunny park would have saved the team. It would have been a party every weekend. That's Montreal's style, and the team and government just did not understand the casual but want fun market.

The Stade just was not fun. We ****ed that up badly.
This.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
hahaha, that was interesting.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
HookeyPlayer

Former Expo leads charge to bring baseball back to Montreal

http://www.montrealgazette.com/healt...#ixzz1y6LmzEcv

Quote:
MONTREAL - Nearly eight years after the team's bitter departure, a former member of the Montreal Expos is leading the charge to bring professional baseball back to the city.

Warren Cromartie, who played on the Expos in the 1970s and early 1980s, said the city could be home to a minor league club and eventually another major league franchise.

"We're a major league city as far as I'm concerned," Cromartie said in an interview Saturday.

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:16 PM
De Montreal
help

I still believe a baseball team in downtown Montréal could work.

Build a small but nice, open roof stadium downtown, (~35,000 seats), get a minor league team to start and see where it leads us from there.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I still believe a baseball team in downtown Montréal could work.

Build a small but nice, open roof stadium downtown, (~35,000 seats), get a minor league team to start and see where it leads us from there.
No, as Kaufman says a minor league team would kill our chances of seeing MLB back. We're a major league town, we need major league baseball.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Baseball back in MTL in ......2035 ?

http://www.rds.ca/divers/chroniques/346741.html

Quote:
Le retour du baseball à Mtl d'ici 2035?
Jeudi 23 août 2012
LA PRESSE CANADIENNE

OTTAWA - Une équipe de la Ligue nationale de hockey pourrait s'implanter à Québec et le baseball majeur pourrait effectuer un retour à Montréal d'ici 2035, affirme un document rendu public jeudi par le Conference Board du Canada.

Pendant les 25 prochaines années, les conditions économiques seront réunies pour que les clubs de sport professionnel du Canada prospèrent et pour que de nouvelles franchises réussissent à se tailler une place au pays, conclut l'organisme dans sa publication finale de la série `Jouer dans les ligues majeures'.

Le document évalue les aspects économiques du sport professionnel en s'appuyant sur les prévisions économiques nationales et provinciales à long terme du Conference Board et sur le cadre d'analyse qu'il a élaboré tout au long de la série.

Le Conference Board en vient à la conclusion que le monde du sport professionnel au Canada en 2035 pourrait inclure jusqu'à trois équipes supplémentaires de la Ligue nationale de hockey (LNH), dont une à Québec; une équipe ranimée de la Major League Baseball (MLB) à Montréal; une deuxième chance pour une franchise de la National Basketball Association (NBA) à Vancouver; trois autres clubs de la Major League Soccer (MLS) au Canada; et jusqu'à sept nouveaux marchés viables pour des franchises de la Ligue canadienne de football (LCF).

L'analyse à laquelle est consacrée cette série s'articule autour des quatre piliers qui font le succès commercial des franchises de sport professionnel, à savoir la taille du marché, les niveaux des revenus, la présence d'entreprises florissantes et l'égalité des chances.

D'ici 2035, aux sept équipes actuelles de la LNH au Canada pourraient s'ajouter des équipes pour Hamilton et Québec et une deuxième équipe pour la Grande Région métropolitaine de Toronto, dit l'organisme. Hamilton et Québec compteront plus de 900 000 habitants et la région métropolitaine de recensement (RMR) de Toronto, 9 millions. Selon le Conference Board, les revenus dans les trois marchés seront suffisants pour soutenir les équipes.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Baseball back in MTL in ......2035 ?

http://www.rds.ca/divers/chroniques/346741.html
You mean back *by* 2035. Long wait, but hey, I'll still be fairly young by then. My dad won't be though, and the Expos being gone kills him more than me.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:15 PM
DAChampion

Realistically, it just takes one interested billionaire in my opinion.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Really sucks seeing the Nationals in 1st place

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not me, I've waited years for any semblance of competitive play.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:25 PM
InglewoodJack

Great! I'll have baseball back when I'm 43.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
RC51

Oh No, again I have to post FACTS so everyone can understand why the Expos went bye bye.

The real reason the Fans stayed away is simply they had been lied too over and over again.

For years MBL had promised MTL that a level playing field was just round the corner. That a salary cap was to be added and therefore no more Expos players would be leaving due to BIG contracts offered by the 6 BIG US teams. Year after year the expos had great players be outright bought right off the roster and go to the BIG US TEAMS.
You know who they are. Unlimited funds to offer CRAZY MONEY.
It became clear the Expos were part of the MBL minor league feeded teams to the BIG clubs. After over 20 years of loyal fans the bottom started to drop out as more and more fans came to realize things will never change and that every year MLB would LIE to the fans again in order to keep attendance up and money rolling in.
Any time the Expos had a few great players come up from the minors and become a real talent BOOM, Some BIG club would just offer the kid a billion bucks and whoosh GONZO to the BIG team.
As a fan you can hope and hope and hope some more and for years believe all the LIES that a level playing field was coming next year.

We the Fans Gave up. You want proof? It's been 8-9 years since the Expos packed it in and WHAT,,, STILL NO level playing field.

I never want to see MLB ever again until it's fixed. I don't watch it on TV, I don't follow any of it. It's a dead sport to me.

If they fix it, they will come.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:28 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Oh No, again I have to post FACTS so everyone can understand why the Expos went bye bye.

The real reason the Fans stayed away is simply they had been lied too over and over again.

For years MBL had promised MTL that a level playing field was just round the corner. That a salary cap was to be added and therefore no more Expos players would be leaving due to BIG contracts offered by the 6 BIG US teams. Year after year the expos had great players be outright bought right off the roster and go to the BIG US TEAMS.
You know who they are. Unlimited funds to offer CRAZY MONEY.
It became clear the Expos were part of the MBL minor league feeded teams to the BIG clubs. After over 20 years of loyal fans the bottom started to drop out as more and more fans came to realize things will never change and that every year MLB would LIE to the fans again in order to keep attendance up and money rolling in.
Any time the Expos had a few great players come up from the minors and become a real talent BOOM, Some BIG club would just offer the kid a billion bucks and whoosh GONZO to the BIG team.
As a fan you can hope and hope and hope some more and for years believe all the LIES that a level playing field was coming next year.

We the Fans Gave up. You want proof? It's been 8-9 years since the Expos packed it in and WHAT,,, STILL NO level playing field.

I never want to see MLB ever again until it's fixed. I don't watch it on TV, I don't follow any of it. It's a dead sport to me.

If they fix it, they will come.

Sadly, as we speak now, this is the reality. Things might change someday, and then we could hope to get our team back. As of now, I'll keep watching baseball, 'cause I love the sport too much. Well, maybe one day...

Old
08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I hate them way more than any other franchise in sports.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:01 PM
tdecheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I hate them way more than any other franchise in sports.
Why? The last people to blame in all this is the people of Washington. The Expos would have been moved somewhere else anyway. The Marlins should be way ahead of Washington on your hate list.

tdecheno is offline   Reply With Quote