HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

"With the 20th pick, the Philadelphia Flyers selects..."

Old
06-16-2012, 10:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
This is not a weak year for defensemen. There are about 12 to 15 defensemen that have top two potential.

Even if Koekkoek isn't around when they pick, there are other defenders available that are just as good. People also need to remember Koekkoek had major shoulder surgery this past year.

I hope that someone like Skjei is available or Bystrom are available. Both have the same skill set as Koekkoek but haven't had any major surgery.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:03 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Any chance the Flyers try to snag 3 defensemen because the draft is deep ? Say, trading Read to Nashville for both of their 2nds? Flyers have a lot of forwards. Nashville will need a few forwards.

That would give them:

20th
37th
50th

20th - Koekkoek
37th - Bystrom
50th - Sieloff
78th - Hyka (ha)

Pretty unlikely, but now the wheels are turning about trading back.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Any chance the Flyers try to snag 3 defensemen because the draft is deep ? Say, trading Read to Nashville for both of their 2nds? Flyers have a lot of forwards. Nashville will need a few forwards.

That would give them:

20th
37th
50th

20th - Koekkoek
37th - Bystrom
50th - Sieloff
78th - Hyka (ha)

Pretty unlikely, but now the wheels are turning about trading back.
I don't think bystrom is there that late and I dont want to move read, if we can get half of what Nashville got for lindback I would much rather move bob for a second and a fourth maybe

Last edited by Giroux 4 MVP: 06-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:54 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
I don't think bystrom is there that late and I dont want to move read, if we can get half of what Nashville got for lindback I would much rather move bob for a second and a fourth maybe
Bob for a 2nd and a 4th would be nice.

I did read somewhere that Bystrom could be had around 50th (I don't buy it either), but someone worthwhile may fall.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Well I know it's not much, but Eklund said we have interest in Tuevo Teravainen. I know every body wants us to take a young top potential dman, but I would love Teravainen on this team. Might be one or two years away, but I could see him developing similar to Claude Giroux. Kid is a star in the making. Here's what he said about him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...r-Kane/1/44986
Quote:
However, I do have a scoop on Teuvo Teravainen.

While he is ranked all over the map, I am hearing from several teams that he is quite likely to 5 and will definitely go top 10 in the draft. He is constantly compared to Claude Giroux for his vision and playmaking abilities.

One scout, "The kid is a flat out star. He is a can't miss...even above the Russians in our book."

Another scout told me not since Saku Koivu has a Finnish player come into the NHL with such a high promise. I remember Koivu drawing Larionov comparisons...

Anaheim, Montreal, Carolina are possibilities....Edmonton is trying to get another top 10 pick to draft him....and don't be surprised if a team were to move up as well...Philly and Boston really like Teuvo as well...

"He won't stick around nearly as long as people are thinking," a western source informed me again today, "Top 8 definitely."
We could always trade other assets to make a move for a young top pairing potential dman.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
We definitely should pick Martin Frk just because his name has no vowels.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Also one possibly I see that could happen is the Flyers trading JVR to Carolina for the 8th overall. Maybe JVR and a 3rd for the 8th overall. Maybe even Anaheim could make that trade for the 6th overall. Teams looking to start winning now could be in the market for a top 6 young forward. Carolina and Anaheim are definitely looking to start winning now again.

Just throwing some things out there. If we get a top 8 pick I would be torn between TT and a stud dman, but thats just me.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Also one possibly I see that could happen is the Flyers trading JVR to Carolina for the 8th overall. Maybe JVR and a 3rd for the 8th overall. Maybe even Anaheim could make that trade for the 6th overall. Teams looking to start winning now could be in the market for a top 6 young forward. Carolina and Anaheim are definitely looking to start winning now again.

Just throwing some things out there. If we get a top 8 pick I would be torn between TT and a stud dman, but thats just me.
TTs stock is very high I doubt he gets to 8, and if we got the eighth pick I'm taking Trouba or Ceci

Old
06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
TTs stock is very high I doubt he gets to 8, and if we got the eighth pick I'm taking Trouba or Ceci
I'd have Dumba and Reinhart above those two if they are still on the board.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
at 20 i think we are slecting from, Finn, Slater K, and Skeji. Im ok with getting one of those.

I doubt Maata slips to us or anyone else.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Jack de la Hoya

If somehow the draft falls similar to the board mock, and we're facing Finn at 20--and thought to moving the pick to a team with a more proven / devleoped defenisve prospect?

A Colorado fan suggested moving Stefan Elliott of Tyson Barrie for an 18-20 pick so they can take Tom Wilson (I don't know why).

The Predators might want to get back into the first round, and they have an abundance of defensive prospects (though their availability would likely depend on the Suter / Weber situation). Presumably Ellis would be off limits, but Josi or Blum?

It would be a bit unusual, but not unprecedented. The Rundblad / Tarasenko deal from a few years back comes to mind.

Again, I don't know that I would do this with one of the "preferred" prospects--the ones with top-pairing potential. But someone like Elliott brings an awful lot to the table--elite offensive ability, RH shot, a 6'1 frame that could eventually fill out beyond his ~190 or so pounds. He was a mid-2nd a few years ago--but his stock has pretty obviously improved. Maybe we could get the Avs to sweeten things a bit--flipping 3rd or something.

Just spit-balling here--

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 06-17-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
From what I've seen/heard, the two guys I like the most are Maataa and Matt Finn

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If somehow the draft falls similar to the board mock, and we're facing Finn at 20--and thought to moving the pick to a team with a more proven / devleoped defenisve prospect?

A Colorado fan suggested moving Stefan Elliott of Tyson Barrie for an 18-20 pick so they can take Tom Wilson (I don't know why).

The Predators might want to get back into the first round, and they have an abundance of defensive prospects (though their availability would likely depend on the Suter / Weber situation). Presumably Ellis would be off limits, but Josi or Blum?

It would be a bit unusual, but not unprecedented. The Rundblad / Tarasenko deal from a few years back comes to mind.

Again, I don't know that I would do this with one of the "preferred" prospects--the ones with top-pairing potential. But someone like Elliott brings an awful lot to the table--elite offensive ability, RH shot, a 6'1 frame that could eventually fill out beyond his ~190 or so pounds. He was a mid-2nd a few years ago--but his stock has pretty obviously improved. Maybe we could get the Avs to sweeten things a bit--flipping 3rd or something.

Just spit-balling here--
Josi would be off limits I assume too.

I guess it depends if there is a guy that they really like on the board or not. I like what I've heard about Elliot, but I'd be lying if I said I knew his value.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

I still pray every night that Ceci falls, won't happen but I can wish no?

Old
06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

If I was a betting man I would put money on the Flyers moving up to nab one of the top dmen prospects.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Gir°ux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
If I was a betting man I would put money on the Flyers moving up to nab one of the top dmen prospects.
After Murray the majority of the rest have the same high risk high reward makeup

Old
06-18-2012, 12:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I wouldnt be shocked if Holmgren goes off the board and he will get a free pass on the pick.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
If I were betting, the Flyers are trying to do everything they can not to pick at 20 (including trading up or not having a first after a player acquisition), but then end up holding tight at 20 because we can't find a willing partner. Someone probably slides a little and they take the BPA (in their eyes).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://sulia.com/channel/philadelphi...source=twitter

Quote:
The #Flyers will draft No. 20 in the first round Friday, and it doesn't sound like they plan on trying to trade up. There's not much difference between No. 10 through 20, said one Flyers executive. D Matthew Finn and RW Thomas Wilson are among the prospects that intrigue the Flyers

Old
06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Well, if they had Klotz as a third rounder, Tom Wilson might be neck and neck with Nail on their list!

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
If it comes down to Finn or Wilson at #20, I'll be a bit disappointed.

I'd almost prefer they'd reach slightly for a guy like Hertl than take either of them. Maybe he ends up at wing; maybe somebody gets traded.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I'd be pretty irritated if they picked Wilson with Finn and Bystrom still on the board.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I'd be pretty irritated if they picked Wilson with Finn and Bystrom still on the board.
I think the assumption here was that Bystrom is off the board.

I think I would be annoyed if they picked Wilson at all at 20.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
This. Oh, this.

I have a sick feeling Wilson will be a Flyer on Friday night though. Despite more pressing needs, especially in the 3rd line grinder category, he's a Holmgren-type player and will likely be the Flyers' first rounder.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
healthyscratch

I'm in the don't draft Tom Wilson crowd. He's everything they love, and everything we hate. Pencil him in.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote