HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 02:20 PM
lsx

vCash: 500
Luongo to SJ

Old
06-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That whole thread was really sad. As if we're going to trade Marleau AND our first to get Luke freaking Schenn.
I do not know what it is about TML fans on the boards. Most of them make trade suggestions without any thought behind it. This is not NHL 2012 the video game.

Also .. Luke Schenn does not even look to be special. I admit I have never seen him play but his point totals (for a D-men) seem meh to me.

06-17-2012, 02:43 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Leafs need to aim a lot lower if Schenn's all they're giving up.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:13 PM
murdock1116

What do you guys think of a deal along the lines of

Marleau

for

Versteeg
Bergenheim
Rights to Wolski

Not sure if Florida would do that, but it could be fair value for both teams. I know Florida is looking for a 1C, which maybe Marleau could be for them. I'm pretty sure Wolski won't be back with them and he could be a low risk high reward bounce back player.

Bergenheim is a nice playoff performer. (though is probably a favorite amongst florida fans)

Old
06-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
What do you guys think of a deal along the lines of

Marleau

for

Versteeg
Bergenheim
Rights to Wolski

Not sure if Florida would do that, but it could be fair value for both teams. I know Florida is looking for a 1C, which maybe Marleau could be for them. I'm pretty sure Wolski won't be back with them and he could be a low risk high reward bounce back player.

Bergenheim is a nice playoff performer. (though is probably a favorite amongst florida fans)
Quite simply, unless it's a DW steal of a deal for Malkin or someone like that, I don't want to trade Marleau. I still think JT needs to go first, as I see JT as much more of a problem than Marleau. Even though I'm sure 85% of this board disagree's.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Luongo to SJ
I wouldn't mind.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:04 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

luongo would do very well in san jose. like florida, its a low media coverage place, unlike vancouver. less pressure = better lou.

itd work great if we then flipped niemi + clowe + doherty for nash.

what would we give up for him though? i wouldnt give up more then Irwin + sexsmith, and i dont think that gets him. unless he wont accept a trade anywhere else. then again they owe us for ehroff

Old
06-17-2012, 05:10 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, three 30+ players fits exactly into their plan.
One has eight good years left... If they want to keep all the young bucks they have to start winning at some point

Old
06-17-2012, 06:23 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Quite simply, unless it's a DW steal of a deal for Malkin or someone like that, I don't want to trade Marleau. I still think JT needs to go first, as I see JT as much more of a problem than Marleau. Even though I'm sure 85% of this board disagree's.
Both have their plus and minuses. I see JT having to up his game - he is the better player but his skillset is trending away from today's NHL - JT slows the game down when today is all about speed.

Patty has the skillset to still produce and be effective in today's game.

I have no idea why so many here want to see Patty shipped out. This year's playoffs he was one of the only players I saw effectively forechecking, throwing checks, and doing everything and anything within his power to make things right. I'd point the finger at many others before patty.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:43 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Both have their plus and minuses. I see JT having to up his game - he is the better player but his skillset is trending away from today's NHL - JT slows the game down when today is all about speed.

Patty has the skillset to still produce and be effective in today's game.

I have no idea why so many here want to see Patty shipped out. This year's playoffs he was one of the only players I saw effectively forechecking, throwing checks, and doing everything and anything within his power to make things right. I'd point the finger at many others before patty.
when your payed 6.9m per year to score goals, and you score 0, well theres something wrong there.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
One has eight good years left... If they want to keep all the young bucks they have to start winning at some point
Don't look at me, I'm of the opinion that Marleau would be a great fit in Edmonton: A big, veteran #2C who's great defensively. Stick him with Hall and Hemsky and you've got a helluva line. With that trade, Edmonton'd have

Clowe-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Marleau-Hemsky

and that'd be a sick top-6, and leave them with the ability to trade Gagner for defensive help. Unfortunately, their defense is still nowhere good enough to be able to win, even with that sick offensive lineup. Smid-Petry is a solid to above average 2nd pairing. Whitney and whoever is a very solid bottom pairing. But Edmonton needs a top-pairing and for Dubnyk to step up to have a chance at competing.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
I don't get why you think Thornton is the problem; I think you are biased since you hated the Thornton trade in the first place.

If you think that Thornton's slowness makes his line unproductive, that just isn't true. He was our most productive player this year.

If you think that Thornton's slowness somehow makes the other lines slow because the team tries to play his way, then that isn't Thornton's problem; that is a coaching issue. Just because Thornton plays the game one way doesn't mean everyone else MUST copy him.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I don't get why you think Thornton is the problem; I think you are biased since you hated the Thornton trade in the first place.

If you think that Thornton's slowness makes his line unproductive, that just isn't true. He was our most productive player this year.

If you think that Thornton's slowness somehow makes the other lines slow because the team tries to play his way, then that isn't Thornton's problem; that is a coaching issue. Just because Thornton plays the game one way doesn't mean everyone else MUST copy him.
I don't think he actually said Thornton was is the problem.

Another thing is that Thornton sort of plays a slowdown game. Now Thornton can rush the puck, but he often chooses to slow down the puck. He did so with both Wilson and McLellan

My logic as to why the Sharks should hold value Marleau over Thornton is because Marleau will likely be more effective for a lot longer.

If you were seriously considering trading either of those two, you are probably realistically considering a rebuild. Marleau will more then likely be the better player when the rebuild has concluded. This isn't to say Thornton would be bad necessarily.

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 06-17-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
06-17-2012, 10:18 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
Quote:
I don't think he actually said Thornton was is the problem.

My logic as to why the Sharks should hold value Marleau over Thornton is because Marleau will likely be more effective for a lot longer.

If you were seriously considering trading either of those two, you are probably realistically considering a rebuild. Marleau will more then likely be the better player when the rebuild has concluded. This isn't to say Thornton would be bad necessarily.
Marleau's game relies on speed, as he gets old, his speed will diminish. Thornton will still be able to do what he does now for more than 5 years. He doesn't need speed to set up and create passes. Thornton is also better defensively.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post
Marleau's game relies on speed, as he gets old, his speed will diminish. Thornton will still be able to do what he does now for more than 5 years. He doesn't need speed to set up and create passes. Thornton is also better defensively.
If Marleau slows down he will probably still be fast in the NHL. If Thornton slows down he will probably be sub par in speed.

I think Marleau is the type of player who will be playing top six minutes into his 40s. The only question is if he wants to. If he stays in the same city as his family he probably will.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:30 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
I'm not all aboard on the Trade Marleau train, but if we were to do a "shake up" I think that Marleau is the one that needs to go over Thornton. But I'm pretty sure both will be a shark next year

Old
06-17-2012, 10:32 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
If Marleau slows down he will probably still be fast in the NHL. If Thornton slows down he will probably be sub par in speed.

I think Marleau is the type of player who will be playing top six minutes into his 40s. The only question is if he wants to. If he stays in the same city as his family he probably will.
Both players will likely be able to play into their 40's and be effective.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:36 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Both players will likely be able to play into their 40's and be effective.
Sure, but Marleau would probably be more like Selanne or Whitney where as Thornton will be more like Alfredson.

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 06-17-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old
06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Quote:

Lets hope, but players like him usually decline after their mid 30s.

See Tony Amonte, Mike Modano, Markus Naslund, Pierre Turgeon, Mark Recchi

Old
06-17-2012, 10:43 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Lets hope, but players like him usually decline after their mid 30s.

See Tony Amonte, Mike Modano, Markus Naslund, Pierre Turgeon, Mark Recchi
Recchi was a terrible example. He was playing quality minutes till he was 43.

Naslund was good till the end although he was never as consistent as Marleau... My guess is Naslund retired because he wanted to go home.

Marleau is more durable then Turgeon was

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 06-17-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
06-17-2012, 10:49 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Quote:
I was going more for the fact he never had another 30 goal season after 30, and never a 20 goal season after 39

Old
06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Quote:

Most of the others you mentioned were not as durable and Marleau

Naslund was good till the end and was never as consistent as Marleau... My guess is Naslund retired because he wanted to go home.
Turgeon is the only one I would say was not durable and you could make a case for Modano but the others were workhorses.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Turgeon is the only one I would say was not durable and you could make a case for Modano but the others were workhorses.
Yes I kind of stuck on him for a bit, so I changed my post

Old
06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I was going more for the fact he never had another 30 goal season after 30, and never a 20 goal season after 39
Well marleau had a 40 goal season at thirty and two thirty plus since then.

If Marleau is still playing at 43 and is as important to the Sharks and Recchi was to the Bruins I think that would only support my posisiton

Old
06-17-2012, 11:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Almost at 1000. Continue here.

Closed Thread