HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jumbo linemates?

Old
06-17-2012, 09:18 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Actually I would predict that TJ would score a whopping 10 goals on Thorntons wing. He would probably miss at least thirty games to injury.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:19 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
But if he hit 20, I'd say experiment success.
Why would that be a success? That would be significantly worse then Setogouchi....

Twenty would probably be a stretch. What makes you think he would be more effective then say Mitchell?

Old
06-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Why would that be a success? That would be significantly worse then Setogouchi....

Twenty would probably be a stretch. What makes you think he would be more effective then say Mitchell?
Because it'd be hard for Mitchell to score that many goals on Thornton's wing when he plays for another team.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:28 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Because it'd be hard for Mitchell to score that many goals on Thornton's wing when he plays for another team.
Ok then lets concentrate on how Mitchell did in the past. Seriously what makes you think TJ is that much better of a player then Torrey Mitchell... Mitchell has been used on Thorntons wing...

Old
06-17-2012, 09:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:

Setoguchi barely scored 20 on Thornton's wing in 2010-2011, although he was bounced around quite a bit. But the reason I think it could happen is because Galiardi has a history of success playing with a top-notch playmaking center (Stastny). With the right player on his other wing (Stafford?), I think they could be effective.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
I think most people remember him scoring 15~ goals and 40~ points in 70 games as a rookie (?) Where Mitchell has topped out at 24 points, and 10 goals.

Also TJ is a natural wing, and Mitchell a natural center.

I'm not saying it'll work, but just saying that he has more scoring instinct then Mitchell.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:57 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Setoguchi barely scored 20 on Thornton's wing in 2010-2011, although he was bounced around quite a bit. But the reason I think it could happen is because Galiardi has a history of success playing with a top-notch playmaking center (Stastny). With the right player on his other wing (Stafford?), I think they could be effective.
Seto was bouncing around when the Sharks got Heatly. That would be for about two years.

Is the success you are talking about with TJ his rookie season? Mitchell had a pretty successful rookie campaign too. The problem is he wasn't really able to grow after it, probably due to breaking his leg and missing two years. TJ also hasn't even been able to replicate his rookie season. I don't see any reason for this experiment. Unlike the Avs the Sharks have far superior options under contract

Old
06-17-2012, 09:59 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
I think most people remember him scoring 15~ goals and 40~ points in 70 games as a rookie (?) Where Mitchell has topped out at 24 points, and 10 goals.

Also TJ is a natural wing, and Mitchell a natural center.

I'm not saying it'll work, but just saying that he has more scoring instinct then Mitchell.
Mitchell had a fantastic rookie campaign. He played with lessor line mates and was probably better all around then TJ during his rookie campaign.

So yeah TJ had a good rookie campaign and then followed it up with barely being able to crack an NHL roster. Impressive!

Old
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
WantonAbandon

Any way have no illusions the real carrot of the McGinn trade was Winnick. TJ was acquired to simply provide some long term security.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
I don't think Gali can handle top line minutes. He looked very easily shutdown, hesitant at times, and generally unimpressive. He'd be great on the 3rd or 4th line, but keep him away from the top-6 and put Logan on Jumbo's left side.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

The more i think about it, the more i think Tommy Wingels is the perfect fit for JT.
He's fast, physical, RH shot and from what i have heard his shot is very underated.

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAllstar10 View Post
The more i think about it, the more i think Tommy Wingels is the perfect fit for JT.
He's fast, physical, RH shot and from what i have heard his shot is very underated.
He will have a LOT of work to do on his shot. His shot is very underrated because it is not scoring level material at the NHL level and was only arguably AHL level as he only had a little hot streak this year.

Jumbo's linemates need to be a guy with speed that can forecheck which is why Galiardi is mentioned a lot and a right-hander that has offensive awareness and a good shot. Pavelski is not a bad option but if we can't move him back to pivot a line, we lose scoring depth.

This is why getting the right forwards will be key to whether this team improves or not. The things that Thornton needs are not things that are high in quantity around the league...mostly because the amount of awareness needed to play the roles on Thornton's wing needs to be very high.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:27 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He will have a LOT of work to do on his shot. His shot is very underrated because it is not scoring level material at the NHL level and was only arguably AHL level as he only had a little hot streak this year.

Jumbo's linemates need to be a guy with speed that can forecheck which is why Galiardi is mentioned a lot and a right-hander that has offensive awareness and a good shot. Pavelski is not a bad option but if we can't move him back to pivot a line, we lose scoring depth.

This is why getting the right forwards will be key to whether this team improves or not. The things that Thornton needs are not things that are high in quantity around the league...mostly because the amount of awareness needed to play the roles on Thornton's wing needs to be very high.
Thornton needs speed on zone entries more than anything. I picture TJ getting a pass keeping his head down and getting his block knocked off.

Why would the Sharks use a guy who is worse then Seto in every way imaginable.

Maybe...Maybe you put Wingles Desi and TJ together to provide some scoring depth...

Old
06-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Thornton needs speed on zone entries more than anything. I picture TJ getting a pass keeping his head down and getting his block knocked off.

Why would the Sharks use a guy who is worse then Seto in every way imaginable.

Maybe...Maybe you put Wingles Desi and TJ together to provide some scoring depth...
There is nobody on a line with Wingels, Desjardins, and Galiardi that will score. Galiardi may be worse than Setoguchi but sometimes you simply have to have that raw speed to open up the ice. Ekman wasn't as good as Setoguchi either but it worked.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:31 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
There is nobody on a line with Wingels, Desjardins, and Galiardi that will score. Galiardi may be worse than Setoguchi but sometimes you simply have to have that raw speed to open up the ice. Ekman wasn't as good as Setoguchi either but it worked.
As a fourth line i think they would score just fine.

You are right about using what they have and the Sharks happen to have several better options at their disposal

Old
06-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
As a fourth line i think they would score just fine.

You are right about using what they have and the Sharks happen to have several better options at their disposal
In terms of fore-checking, not really. In terms of zone entries and defensive awareness, probably. I'm not a proponent of going with Galiardi on the top line but I'm not opposed to a revolving door if a permanent solution isn't found. And I'd rather do a revolving door than going out and getting an expensive player like Rick Nash that won't be a solution in either regard.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

All I can say is I hope DW is getting on that Clowe/Murray for Stafford/Leopold deal.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
All I can say is I hope DW is getting on that Clowe/Murray for Stafford/Leopold deal.
Why is everyone convinced that Stafford is available?

Old
06-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
I highly doubt he's on the untouchable or severe overpayment list in Buffalo. While his chemistry with Foligno and Ennis was pretty good, getting a player like Clowe who'd help prevent another Lucic playground bullying incident from happening again would be something they'd easily do.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Why is everyone convinced that Clowe is available?

Old
06-18-2012, 12:01 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Why is everyone convinced that Clowe is available?
Clowe at least had down year

Old
06-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
He's the most expendable top 6 player they have too.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:07 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
So did Stafford. He scored less points this year in 80 games than he did last year in 62 games.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Tealblood

As long as pavs isn't on Thornton's line again. That was hard to watch.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
AnderFunk

Does it really matter? Todd McLellan will just keep changing up the lines and destroying any chemistry the players build up before the playoffs start anyway.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote