HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salute From A Kings Fan

Old
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
devilsblood

vCash: 500
My bro's fiance was hating the Kings. Personally I wasn't so much. I thought the Kings, bad calls or not, outplayed the Dev's for the majority of the series, so I really can't be too upset.

Would love to have a do over, but both teams will have to earn that right.

devilsblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Are you talking about the game were we were up 2-1, then Simmonds and Doughty scored in the last minute and we lost 3-2 in regulation?
January 31, 2010
I remember that game having a packed crowd, attendance was a sellout, 17,625.
Hard to believe you were the only ones in your section.
Unless you are referring to another game.
I swore it snowed that weekend. I was at the game. It didn't snow that day, but I swore it did. I believe Simmonds tied it up, but I don't remember if Quick was pulled or not. Think there may have been 2 minutes and change left, and Simmonds tied it with Quick still in net. Then LA got a PP somehow, and went it in less than a minute.

Disappointing game, but at least it wasn't a playoff game 7 like one that happened not long earlier! That was shortly after Langenbrunner's presence, and problems with Lemaire/locker room were diagnosed with cancer, and between stage 1, and 2.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I swore it snowed that weekend. I was at the game. It didn't snow that day, but I swore it did. I believe Simmonds tied it up, but I don't remember if Quick was pulled or not. Think there may have been 2 minutes and change left, and Simmonds tied it with Quick still in net. Then LA got a PP somehow, and went it in less than a minute.

Disappointing game, but at least it wasn't a playoff game 7 like one that happened not long earlier! That was right around the time Langenbrunner's presence was diagnosed with cancer, and between stage 1, and 2.
There was no snow that day, I took my daughter and would have never taken her to the game if it snowed or the roads were bad/dicey.
I remember the barn being packed, I was up in 209 that night.

I posted the box score in my post above.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:58 PM
devilsblood

Just wondering, but what's chance of Dev's vs Kings reg season game getting on nat'l TV next year? 24/7? Winter classic in LA?

And is this the biggest smiley face on the Kings board?

devilsblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Status Quo

vCash: 1776
I was at that game too. Got $10 seats that day but me and my friend ended up moving down sitting 10 rows behind Quick (1st and 3rd). That was the second year in a row I had seen the Devils play the Kings and the last time I'll seem them in person haha First time was a year before where they lost to the Kings 3-0. I have no luck seeing the Devils playing the Kings in person.

Status Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
I can't even hate on the Kings, right after the game as I was driving to work I thought back to a lifelong Kings fan I sat next to at a NJ/LA sunday afternoon game a couple seasons ago. We were the only people in the section (somewhere in the 200's) during the game and it was nice just sitting there enjoying the game and talking about our teams, and all the kids both teams had coming up in the organization. We blew it in the last minute (we did that an awful lot that year) but I couldn't even be mad about it. That was one of the best games i went to that year just because I was able to have such a great conversation with another passionate hockey fan for its entire duration.

I think the gentlemans name was Steven, I hope you're one happy dude right now man.
a similar experience happened with me and an ald-timer jets fan i sat next to at the jets-preds game i went to in march. we talked through the entire game about the jets' future and the devils, i told him a bunch of stories about the players and the team in atlanta, we both cheered for the jets to get a goal when they were getting shutout in the 3rd (preds won in a blowout, it was radulov's first home game). it was a cathartic experience for me that allowed me to let a lot of my pent up anger at the jets out and i'd like to think he left with a better appreciation of atlanta hockey fans and a bit more knowledge about some of the guys on his team. all in all a great time just talking to the guy.

then i stepped on his foot as i left.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
There was no snow that day, I took my daughter and would have never taken her to the game if it snowed or the roads were bad/dicey.
I remember the barn being packed, I was up in 209 that night.
Wasn't there snow on the ground? Not the roads, but I keep remembering walking to the arena, and there was snow. Not fresh snow but from a couple days before. I swore it did, but someone else told me on here I was wrong too when I talked about it earlier this year when we played the Kings.

Maybe it was the week after?

Now that I think about it I'm a week off I think. We had a big snowstorm come the overnight after the Leafs game where we first got Kovy, and came back with a few minutes left in the game with goals from Dean Mcammond, and Jay Pandolfo. Not to be confused with the game right after Christmas 2010 that it snowed the day of the game, and only a couple thousand people attended.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Wasn't there snow on the ground? Not the roads, but I keep remembering walking to the arena, and there was snow. Not fresh snow but from a couple days before. I swore it did, but someone else told me on here I was wrong too when I talked about it earlier this year when we played the Kings.

Maybe it was the week after?

Now that I think about it I'm a week off I think. We had a big snowstorm come the overnight after the Leafs game where we first got Kovy, and came back with a few minutes left in the game with goals from Dean Mcammond, and Jay Pandolfo. Not to be confused with the game right after Christmas 2010 that it snowed the day of the game, and only a couple thousand people attended.
Yeah, we acquired Kovy a few days after the Kings game, his first game was that Friday night vs the Toronto.
The weather forecast was for a heavy snowstorm beginning Friday night, that prevented a sellout IMO. They made the big comeback and won that night, when I left The Rock I was expecting some snow but it was bone dry.
The snow never materialzed that weekend, the Devils lost at MSG the following night.

The next weekend we did get a blizzard like storm the night of the Devils vs Philly, only about 5k people showed up in a declared state of emergency.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Yeah, we acquired Kovy a few days after the Kings game, his first game was that Friday night vs the Toronto.
The weather forecast was for a heavy snowstorm beginning Friday night, that prevented a sellout IMO. They made the big comeback and won that night, when I left The Rock I was expecting some snow but it was bone dry.
The snow never materialzed that weekend, the Devils lost at MSG the following night.

The next weekend we did get a blizzard like storm the night of the Devils vs Philly, only about 5k people showed up in a declared state of emergency.
Those were the days. The days we never even dreamed about possibly losing to the Kings or any team in the Stanley Cup Finals! I knew we were out in the first round that year no matter who we played.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:04 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Just wondering, but what's chance of Dev's vs Kings reg season game getting on nat'l TV next year? 24/7? Winter classic in LA?
About the same as Cam Janssen scoring 20 goals.

The NHL doesn't give a crap about airing the Devils/Kings in the regular season. It's all about the Rags/Cryers/Pi$$burgh's of the world.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
About the same as Cam Janssen scoring 20 goals.

The NHL doesn't give a crap about airing the Devils/Kings in the regular season. It's all about the Rags/Cryers/Pi$$burgh's of the world.
Buffalo gets real NBC Sports exposure too for some god unknown reason. It's real WTF concept to me.

We only get it playing the Rangers, Boston, Buffalo or an oddball game here, and there against TB, Carolina, or Ottawa or something.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Henry Killinger

Buffalo gets big TV numbers for hockey.

Henry Killinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Buffalo gets real NBC Sports exposure too for some god unknown reason. It's real WTF concept to me.

We only get it playing the Rangers, Boston, Buffalo or an oddball game here, and there against TB, Carolina, or Ottawa or something.
The NHL front office is it's own worst enemy.
They basically tell fans that only a certain number of teams count, the others are insignificant.
This method fails to grow the sport overall.

The NFL does things completely different and it's not a shock that they are extremely popular in all of their markets.

**Buffalo has good fans and they are close to Canada too which helps them.
But you can't compare their tv rating number to the NYC market because a single rating point in NYC is the equivilent of many ratings points in Buffalo.
Plus, the ratings system is VERY flawed and not a true accurate estimation of who is watching NHL games.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:17 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Devils definitely caused a lot of constipation for LA fans, that's for sure. Game 6 was basically our Ex-Lax. Hell of a battle all series. Could have gone either way.

I went to a couple games of the Final in Anaheim when the Devils won (thanks for beating them, BTW) and just couldn't get over how unreal Brodeur was. He's still got it today. An amazing talent. You've all been very spoiled to have bedrock in net like that for so many years.

Met a handful of Devils fans at Staples for this run. Classy bunch. Definitely die-hards to show up in the road team barn for Game 4 when down 3-0 in the series. Gave them a lot of props for that.

Let's meet again next year.
Thanks, that was me. And about two dozen of my brethren. Tops.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
lboogie42*

happy for the kings. i picked them and the devils in the beginning of season to go to the cup beleive it or not. picked the kings because of all the talent they had and they finally started playing up to ther potential. happy for them. but not for brown. i hate that scum bag

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
The NHL front office is it's own worst enemy.
They basically tell fans that only a certain number of teams count, the others are insignificant.
This method fails to grow the sport overall.

The NFL does things completely different and it's not a shock that they are extremely popular in all of their markets.

**Buffalo has good fans and they are close to Canada too which helps them.
But you can't compare their tv rating number to the NYC market because a single rating point in NYC is the equivilent of many ratings points in Buffalo.
Plus, the ratings system is VERY flawed and not a true accurate estimation of who is watching NHL games.
The NFL and NHL are very similar when it comes to national TV deals. The same teams (Dallas/Giants/Pittsburgh/Green Bay) are always using their max 5 national tv games. If it wasn't for CBS and Fox televising every game the NFL wouldn't get the exposure it does. Obviously, televising every game is a no-brainer decision due to how popular the sport is though. This upcoming season is the first time that the NFL is requiring all of its team to appear on national television at least once which is something the NHL has done since it has switched to Versus/NBC.

Also, Buffalo is a huge hockey market. It's a shame their fans don't have more to cheer about.

DatBoyJPP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:26 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Well I've had been furious about NHL coverage in Europe - which is dictated by the league IMO ... till I realised that it is the same way as they select which games (or teams to be honest) will get covered nationally in NA.
It has nothing to do with local fans. Rock could be sold-out all year and nothing would change significantly. It's all about out-off area fans and even more casual fans and sporadic viewers. For those people it's basically Original 6, Crybaby, then it winds down to Ovie, Ducks, Oilers and Flyers. It just follows name-recognition ... nothing more and nothing less ... Kovy seems like he could help us in that matter though it's a hard battle, even Marty couldn't do much there ... Zach - well, not in a 1000 years IMO. As for out -off area fans - those are ones paying NHL game-viewing packages ... when ever I fill out those forms and add my credit card number, they kindly ask what my favourite team is, so they can customise emails if I care to receive those ... I don't imagine Devils are selected often there especially by european fans
Come to think of it - similar goes for other sports, whenever you are watching something just cause of a sport in general ... IDK, just like I still turn on some soccer matchups, even their high-time is somewhat gone, or Italy-Nederlands volleyball, or Bulls or Lakers game (and it's been what,15 years since I actually cared)

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:23 AM
o0StatiK

Man, going into the finals after seeing how the Kings played ALL playoffs had me going "Woohoo! way to play for 2nd place!" The Devils put up a hell of a battle after Game 3, but the better team definitely came out on top. Congrats to the Kings, strong team right there and Quick is one hell of a goalie.

o0StatiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:36 AM
JackedDevilsFan*
Sign Suter&Garrison!

Kings will miss the playoffs next year....it was not a fluke but i think they basically shot their ****
with this playoff run and are not going to have as much motivation next year...

JackedDevilsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote