HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
@VladNYC, you make some interesting points... However..

But losing top talent you are forced to develop more talent.. This is good for smaller nations as they can produce players to help out their country's national team..

Switzerland is losing thier talent to NHL right now, and they severely reduced imports and now they are better then ever, with real quality coming up.. The best players play in NA, regardless of what anyone else says, the best play here, and only the best thrive... I will not deny that our hockey is not for everyone, and it's not pretty (I love euro hockey cause there's is) but history shows we do it right, I don't believe that the compensation for clubs losing players is fair... But if it was to become a bidding war, then we would have a system similar to UEFA..

I don't think NHL is bad for hockey, I think the KHL is still very very sketchy, and does not seem financially plausible... But it does have promise, however I think it's doomed, due to a diluted product, and overspending..

Don't get me wrong NHL is far from perfect, and needs major changes which we will see soon, but it's far better run then KHL, and good for the game because everything about it is world class.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
American soccer is actually a good example. American soccer is getting bigger resulting in better players and a better overall product in the MLS. THIS is how you make European hockey better. You make the domestic leagues better. The MLS isn't expanding into Mexico and Brazil taking their top teams and ruining those countris' championships just so they can lure some slightly better players from Europe.
Toronto FC in 2007, Vancouver Whitecaps in 2011, Montreal Impact in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Enlighten me, please, how our hockey would be dead without KHL? Give us finally some evidence to your claims, that KHL making all the difference in the world for our hockey.
This is a pure supposition... but in the case of Latvia, how about there mere fact of giving Dynamo a large fan base and making hockey more relevant to the average person? Which, in turn, could lead to more youngsters being interested in playing the sport, and more parents being willing to let them. No?

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:51 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
You cannot compare football (soccer) and hockey because football has much more financial parity than hockey. In football you have English league, Spanish league, Italian league, German league and nowadays Russian league that are able to pay similar salaries to players. Dutch, French and Turkish leagues are also pretty strong financially.

In hockey we used to have one league (NHL) with more money to spend than other leagues combined. Now the KHL is somewhat able to compete with the NHL financially but yet lacks the prestige and conditions to lure the best talent to play there.

The NHL and the KHL will continue to act "despotically" as long as they are financially superior to other leagues. Althought I would not call the KHL a "despot" because at least it pays for the players. The NHL just takes them without paying.
I can see your piont here. But with 64 teams (about 40 teams added in two years)is way to fast and way to many teams.
It will be diluted,and because of that,it will be less competitive.

fredrikstad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:57 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Still all of those rich leagues remain under control of international football bodies. That was my point. I dont care about finances and how many players NHL/KHL buy from other leagues. I say that rules should be set by IIHF, not by deals of some leagues.
Agreed 110%. It`s not good for hockey that there are independed leagues like NHL,doing whatever they want.
Let the IIHF rules them all,with one united rink size,paying mother clubs desent money for developing players,and let all leauges be finished playing (Stanley Cup,Gagarin Cup ect)when world cup is arranged.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:02 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Do it without Russians or with them, BUT

Options:
1.Champions League without Russians (KHL)
2.European League with Russians
Of course everything should be with the russian. The strongest force in europe.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Hockeyfrilla

option 1 it is.

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:11 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
option 1 it is.
It was agreed that representatives from clubs, leagues, associations and the IIHF; from Western Europe to Russia; need to be named by the various stakeholders and join together to find a competition that will determine the true European club champion.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=dd2e1f2afa

Champions League without KHL is not a solution

Last edited by vorky: 06-18-2012 at 05:18 AM.
vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Ambition.

That is why Medvedev is the head of the KHL....

Never say never.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:24 AM
cydas

What would be the point of having Champions league without Russians? I mean, in case only the winner of each domestic league was taken into competition, we'd have 5-6 good teams battling for the cup and the rest...

Last edited by cydas: 06-18-2012 at 05:31 AM.
cydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:33 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydas View Post
What would be the point of having Champions league without Russians? I mean, in case only the winner of each domestic league was taken into competition, we'd have 5-6 good teams battling for the cup and the rest...
read post #51, Europe must find model like this.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post

Champions League without KHL is not a solution
Lets do CHL with KHL teams then (again). But KHL dont want this, why did Gazprom pull out last time?

KHL only wants teams to join their league..

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:54 AM
zorz

Quote:
Lets do CHL with KHL teams then (again). But KHL dont want this, why did Gazprom pull out last time?

Champions league doesnt make sense in hockey IMO. There is no time when to play it. You dont play 1 game a week in the hockey regular season like you do in soccer.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:

Isn't it better way, to create brand new club, for SWE,FINN ? As CZE Lev Praha.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:55 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post

This is a pure supposition... but in the case of Latvia, how about there mere fact of giving Dynamo a large fan base and making hockey more relevant to the average person? Which, in turn, could lead to more youngsters being interested in playing the sport, and more parents being willing to let them. No?
I'd agree with this one, if there were some new arenas built after inception of DR, but fact is that the current arenas were overcrowded even before the KHL came so were those extra kids would be playing?

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Peter25

Quote:
I'd agree with this one, if there were some new arenas built after inception of DR, but fact is that the current arenas were overcrowded even before the KHL came so were those extra kids would be playing?
What is stopping Latvia from building new arenas?

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:06 AM
ozo

Quote:
What is stopping Latvia from building new arenas?
The fact that it takes money to build and maintain arenas.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Peter25

Quote:
The fact that it takes money to build and maintain arenas.
Ask more money from EU or Swedish banks then.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:23 AM
ozo

Quote:
Ask more money from EU or Swedish banks then.
Huh? Why would Swedish banks and EU would want give money for hockey arenas? Were are you aiming with this nonsense?

Old
06-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Champions league doesnt make sense in hockey IMO. There is no time when to play it. You dont play 1 game a week in the hockey regular season like you do in soccer.
Indeed. The domestic league seasons have expanded, e.g. Finnish league season is now 60 games, there's nowhere to put that extra game with teams already playing 3 games a week. EHT is too lucrative for the national federations to be reduced/abolished.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
Isn't it better way, to create brand new club, for SWE,FINN ? As CZE Lev Praha.
Wouldn't work in Sweden nor Finland. The only places to where those clubs could be set up (arena) are Helsinki and Stockholm. Helsinki already has Jokerit and HIFK while Stockholm is not a hockey city in general (and they have Djurgården and AIK), a "plastic" club is not going to just set off. There's no domestic money in either country and with Russian money there's a great chance they'll just suddenly pull off the backing.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Huh? Why would Swedish banks and EU would want give money for hockey arenas? Were are you aiming with this nonsense?
Just look up his posting history, logic or common sense (or objectivity re: anything Russian) is not to be found.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Because the EU and the West is your saviours now

Old
06-18-2012, 08:40 AM
ozo

Quote:
Because the EU and the West is your saviours now
This makes no sense. I simply can't wrap my head around how your post relates to anything being discussed in this thread. What EU has to do with KHL? Or KHL expansion? Or financing of hockey infrastructure anywhere? Or hockey as such?

Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Dosing

Quote:
This makes no sense. I simply can't wrap my head around how your post relates to anything being discussed in this thread. What EU has to do with KHL? Or KHL expansion? Or financing of hockey infrastructure anywhere? Or hockey as such?
It sounds like a psychopath trying to convice his insecure girlfriend she's crap and no one else will want her, so he's all she's got

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

deleted