HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Woodlief loved the Miller pick, loved the McIlrath pick and loved the Kreider pick.

Out of all the draft previewers, I tend to lean towards him and Bob Mackenzie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I think just about everyone had Jessiman high that year.
Woodlief loved Jessiman. Ever since then I question all of his 'biggest sleeper in the draft!'.

And no, not everyone had Jessiman ranked that high. Pretty sure a few services had him out of the first round.

Tanner Pearson? Overager, good offensive instincts, raw skills, skating needs imrovement, specifically first step and acceleration. Could still be developing into his pro build, broke his leg toward the end of the season, but recovering fine.

IMO, there are better players on board at #28.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
NYR Viper

Over the weekend I picked up the THN Draft Guide which I find is a quick, easy and cheap way to read up on some prospects and I have to say that Matteau in their write-up sounded intriguing. Although I think I like Wilson due to his developmental curve (which the Rangers staff looks at A LOT) so he is my guess as to the Rangers 1st rounder.

Also, Kerdiles would be a solid pick there.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Just my opinion, but THN tends to give a little bit of lip service to kids of former NHLers. I'm not sure why, but that seems to stick out for me.

Wilson should be long gone before we pick, but you never know.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:30 AM
NYR Viper

I got that feeling as well. Did anyone see the Stepan description?

It went something like:

Good charter's, wins faceoffs, cousin of Derek.

What about Matt Finn? This seems to be another year that there are a ton of good d-men available.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Woodlief loved Jessiman. Ever since then I question all of his 'biggest sleeper in the draft!'.

And no, not everyone had Jessiman ranked that high. Pretty sure a few services had him out of the first round.

Tanner Pearson? Overager, good offensive instincts, raw skills, skating needs imrovement, specifically first step and acceleration. Could still be developing into his pro build, broke his leg toward the end of the season, but recovering fine.

IMO, there are better players on board at #28.
That draft was nine years ago.

Also, as some have stated, Jessiman was high on everyone's board between 9 and 15.

The Rangers didnt go off the board.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:40 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

Also, as some have stated, Jessiman was high on everyone's board between 9 and 15.

Not on everyone's board, from what I remember.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Just my opinion, but THN tends to give a little bit of lip service to kids of former NHLers. I'm not sure why, but that seems to stick out for me.

Wilson should be long gone before we pick, but you never know.
Believe me, I know, no way Wilson gets to #28.

THN write ups are always too little, then casual draft fans think they know everything about these guys from a few blurbs, that sometimes gets a player completely wrong, IMO. Good guide, but they are so far from the overall picture. The other guides that are more expensive are worth it.

Btw, Matteau sounds intriguing reading the THN write up? They mentioned he moved to the CHL and took bad selfish penalties. That sounds intriguing?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
9 years ago and he still comes up with sleepers that are total busts. I like Woodlief, he always is a good guy to talk to, very accomodating anytime I've approached him, but he like any draft pundit has his faults. He reaches and I often think its to be different and try and counter CSB's conservative style.

Jessiman was 20th CSB and 22nd THN, and was out of the top 30 on some lists that year. He was the drafts biggest wildcard, there was no debating that.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 06-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old
06-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

How about Chris Calnan has a 1st round pick...going to BC and Rangers had done well with college players of late....any chance he is available at 28??? http://thehockeywriters.com/chris-ca...spect-profile/

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I got that feeling as well. Did anyone see the Stepan description?

It went something like:

Good charter's, wins faceoffs, cousin of Derek.

What about Matt Finn? This seems to be another year that there are a ton of good d-men available.
Zach is a good player, but he's nowhere as talented as Derek. Zach could be a solid 3rd line center, but I don't think we'll take him.

Finn is another guy who doesn't really "wow" you in any particular area of the game. Reminds me a lot of Mike Sauer. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, solid defensively, makes a good breakout pass. 2nd pairing upside.

If there's one thing I really want with out first round pick, it's boom potential. I have confidence that our scouting staff can find some real solid pieces in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I want that 1st rounder to make me say, "Oh man, if this kid puts it together, he's going to be something special."

The guy I'm dying to have is Thrower. I haven't been this stoked on a defensemen since John Carlson in '08. The guy brings everything to the table. Skating, grit, puck rushing, passing, and a big shot from the point. He needs to work on his gap control, and like most kids his age, work on staying in his lane instead of going out of the way to make a big play. Two things he can definitely perfect with another couple years in juniors. Huge, HUGE upside with this kid. Top-3 potential.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
We can't all have insider knowledge.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Over the weekend I picked up the THN Draft Guide which I find is a quick, easy and cheap way to read up on some prospects and I have to say that Matteau in their write-up sounded intriguing. Although I think I like Wilson due to his developmental curve (which the Rangers staff looks at A LOT) so he is my guess as to the Rangers 1st rounder.

Also, Kerdiles would be a solid pick there.
The more I read about Wilson the more I become positive about two things: 1) If he's there the Rangers will pick him. And 2) He won't be there when we pick. He's someone I wouldn't mind trading up for. I really want one of him/Aberg.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Why is Jessiman still a thought? What about any of the Rangers drafts since 2004 warrants this old nonsense?

Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider.

Have all been added to the roster via our drafts since 2004.

McDonagh and Girardi added via smart trade and scouting.

Gorton and Clark, who run the draft, are not stupid enough to walk away on Friday night with a "Jessiman" pick that happened nearly a decade ago.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Throwers problem will be injuries. He is too small to play the game he plays for the long haul. I love him, but I am concerned about injuries in the future.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:06 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

THN write ups are always too little, then casual draft fans think they know everything about these guys from a few blurbs, that sometimes gets a player completely wrong, IMO. Good guide, but they are so far from the overall picture. The other guides that are more expensive are worth it.

Btw, Matteau sounds intriguing reading the THN write up? They mentioned he moved to the CHL and took bad selfish penalties. That sounds intriguing?
They mentioned he was one of the US's best players on one of the later pages. They described him as being overly aggressive to the point f taking bad penalties and that he played on the line. Those players are valuable if they can control themselves. Lucic, Kassian, Downie, etc.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
How about Chris Calnan has a 1st round pick...going to BC and Rangers had done well with college players of late....any chance he is available at 28??? http://thehockeywriters.com/chris-ca...spect-profile/
I have not seen the kid play at all, but I hear good things and he did very well at the combine. Definite 2nd round consideration.

Quote:
Zach is a good player, but he's nowhere as talented as Derek. Zach could be a solid 3rd line center, but I don't think we'll take him.

Finn is another guy who doesn't really "wow" you in any particular area of the game. Reminds me a lot of Mike Sauer. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, solid defensively, makes a good breakout pass. 2nd pairing upside.

If there's one thing I really want with out first round pick, it's boom potential. I have confidence that our scouting staff can find some real solid pieces in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I want that 1st rounder to make me say, "Oh man, if this kid puts it together, he's going to be something special."

The guy I'm dying to have is Thrower. I haven't been this stoked on a defensemen since John Carlson in '08. The guy brings everything to the table. Skating, grit, puck rushing, passing, and a big shot from the point. He needs to work on his gap control, and like most kids his age, work on staying in his lane instead of going out of the way to make a big play. Two things he can definitely perfect with another couple years in juniors. Huge, HUGE upside with this kid. Top-3 potential.
Not interested in Zach Stepan unless we pick up a 3rd round pick somehow.

I like Finn, not a huge defender, but decent skill level to go with some chippy play and can throw some punches. Character is high, heard teams are liking him more after interviews.

Quote:
We can't all have insider knowledge.
Its easy, just read, write and post on Rivals and HF boards for over 15 years and start chatting up people who see most of these players. Its opened alot of doors, but not enough to find a job in hockey, I do this pro bono for you all

Old
06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Throwers problem will be injuries. He is too small to play the game he plays for the long haul. I love him, but I am concerned about injuries in the future.
I like Thrower alot and you have a valid point when you look at similar Dmen of his size over the last decade. But not all of them succumb to the beatings they take, but a good chance he'll miss his share of time.

Quote:
They mentioned he was one of the US's best players on one of the later pages. They described him as being overly aggressive to the point f taking bad penalties and that he played on the line. Those players are valuable if they can control themselves. Lucic, Kassian, Downie, etc.
Problem is I don't think he reminds me of any of those guys when I look at the overall picture.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Size is overblown in my opinion. Just shy of 6ft -- and by just shy, I mean 1/4 of an inch -- and weighed in at 200lbs at the combine. Injuries are a risk for everyone who plays a rough-and-tumble style.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:21 AM
NYR Viper

^^^

I agree. Just saying that they made him sound like that. Not interested in the 1st round at all considering who they had around him.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:22 AM
NYR Viper

^^^

I agree. Just saying that they made him sound like that. Not interested in the 1st round at all considering who they had around him.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Not interested in Zach Stepan unless we pick up a 3rd round pick somehow.

I like Finn, not a huge defender, but decent skill level to go with some chippy play and can throw some punches. Character is high, heard teams are liking him more after interviews.
Agreed on both points. Stepan would be a good selection with a spare pick, but I think we'll find better kids in the late 2nd.

Quote:
Its easy, just read, write and post on Rivals and HF boards for over 15 years and start chatting up people who see most of these players. Its opened alot of doors, but not enough to find a job in hockey, I do this pro bono for you all
Oh, is that all?

Your charity is always appreciated.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I'm still waiting for Edge to take a vacant head scout spot so I can become his Gorton

Old
06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Woodlief stated that the teams picking between 10 - 15 all were high on him and would have taken him had other players they rated higher not been around.

The same with the McIlrath pick. Everybody thinks the Rangers went off the board drafting him when several teams were interested in him in the 9-15 range.

IMO the Jessiman pick made sense at the time. The Rangers had no size and were pushed around too easily. Jessiman went straight from no competition in HS to dominating a tough ECAC his freshman year.

Draft "gurus" have their moments. They all had them in 1993 and 1999. Woodlief is a former scout while most of the others are just scribes.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:39 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I've stated all along that this draft shouldn't be a throw away because they have a lot of have young NHL roster players, won 51-games and made the CF.

Rangers need guys who can score goals and guys who can pass the puck. Speed shouldnt be that big of a deal. Tim Kerr, Cam Neely, John Leclair, Brett Hull etc were not all great skaters. Neither were Adam Oates, Ron Francis etc.

Tape to tape passers and open-net scorers. I go skill forward this entire draft between 5'10 - 6'3.

Gaunce
Zharkov
Samuelsson
Di Giuseppe
Pearson
Prokhorkin
Winther

Kerdiles is a perfect system guy to plug in, but I swing for the fences in this draft in terms of overall skill, creativity with the puck and goal scoring.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Pizza

One my favorite things around draft time is to watch the emoticons that follow the picks:

, , , , are some of my favorites.

I'm looking forward to seeing what G & G come up with....and what the reactions are.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote