HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Dennis Persson signed with Swedish champions

Old
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
I'm not a big fan of the "well they could have had this guy or that guy with the pick" stuff but I hated that selection the moment I saw him go up on stage and looked like he'd blow off it if someone left a door open.

Of course Chris Summers was the guy I was in on for that draft. I guess he could turn into something but don't take what I say too seriously.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
I'm not a big fan of the "well they could have had this guy or that guy with the pick" stuff but I hated that selection the moment I saw him go up on stage and looked like he'd blow off it if someone left a door open.

Of course Chris Summers was the guy I was in on for that draft. I guess he could turn into something but don't take what I say too seriously.
I mean Summers is a RFA this Summer and did play 21 Games last Season with the Yotes. However, with guys like Yandle and Klesla already there and with the emergence of OEL and not to mention with guys like Gormley and Rundblad likely to make a push I would say Chris's days as a Yote are numbered.

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
BUFFALO — Former Sabres defenseman Shaone Morrisonn, banished to the AHL Rochester Americans last season as a salary cap casualty, has signed a one-year contract with Spartak Moscow of the KHL, according to Yahoo! Sports.
Quote:
Five other players from the 2011-12 Amerks – Drew MacIntyre, Michael Ryan, Dennis Persson, Mark Voakes and Paul Szczechura – have already signed deals to play in Europe next season. Persson, a defenseman picked 24th overall in 2006, never played for the Sabres.
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...-with-KHL-club

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Reddawg

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I'm pretty sure none of us will end up filing a "missing Persson" report...
http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:03 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I've tried to look at the situation from ShaMo's side of things. Yeah, the Sabres paid him good money to stay in Rochester but with all of the injuries last year, I would have expected to have been called up at least once if I were Morrisonn. I figure there were cap arguments and direction considerations and giving the future prospects a good look see. But it would be clear to me that I'm not part of the Sabre's present much less future, I'm tired of playing 7th D minutes and the KHL is a lot more forgiving league. And I'm a UFA.

So good for him.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I've tried to look at the situation from ShaMo's side of things. Yeah, the Sabres paid him good money to stay in Rochester but with all of the injuries last year, I would have expected to have been called up at least once if I were Morrisonn. I figure there were cap arguments and direction considerations and giving the future prospects a good look see. But it would be clear to me that I'm not part of the Sabre's present much less future, I'm tired of playing 7th D minutes and the KHL is a lot more forgiving league. And I'm a UFA.

So good for him.
Morrisson's contract was still 1-way, so that's why he never got called up I'd guess. We have plenty of D without him, so good luck to him in the KHL.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Morrisson's contract was still 1-way, so that's why he never got called up I'd guess. We have plenty of D without him, so good luck to him in the KHL.
Wasn't it because we were pushing way to close to the cap? I'm sure the type of contract is irrelevant (as IIRC, it only affects how much the player is paid and not movement between organisations).

Good luck to ShaMo, he was decent when called upon. As far as Persson, hindsight's a *****, it's a shame he couldn't develop into a better player for us/ us making a better descision in the draft. Slipped way down the depth chart. Bye!

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:51 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
Wasn't it because we were pushing way to close to the cap? I'm sure the type of contract is irrelevant (as IIRC, it only affects how much the player is paid and not movement between organisations).
I'm pretty sure it was because of re-entry waivers, if someone picked him up there, we would've been on the hook for half his salary and cap-hit, something we couldn't afford since we were so close to the cap for long stretches anyway. That doesn't explain however why he wasn't used in emergency-recall situations, but I guess since those recalls only played limited minutes anyway, Ruff wanted to plan for the future and test guys like Brennan...

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I'm pretty sure it was because of re-entry waivers, if someone picked him up there, we would've been on the hook for half his salary and cap-hit, something we couldn't afford since we were so close to the cap for long stretches anyway. That doesn't explain however why he wasn't used in emergency-recall situations, but I guess since those recalls only played limited minutes anyway, Ruff wanted to plan for the future and test guys like Brennan...
If he was on injury recall, the recall-waivers would've been exempt. However, they would've been on the hook for the weekly cap hit and they were just too close to the max to flirt with using him in that fashion. He was pretty much damned due to his contract.

06-19-2012, 07:03 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If he was on injury recall, the recall-waivers would've been exempt. However, they would've been on the hook for the weekly cap hit and they were just too close to the max to flirt with using him in that fashion. He was pretty much damned due to his contract.
That's what I was trying to say . As an injury-recall he would've been waiver-exempt, but I think we probably could've fit him under the cap when guys like Myers, Boyes, Hecht or Ehrhoff had been on LTIR. They just decided not to because he wasn't much of an upgrade compared to Brennan.
But I think the main point here was a non-injury-recall situation, where we would've risked to be on the hook for half of his salary and cap-hit if he got claimed.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote